Can DJs be talented? Is there even such a thing a talented DJ? Are DJs really the lowest form of musicianship out there...

Can DJs be talented? Is there even such a thing a talented DJ? Are DJs really the lowest form of musicianship out there? If you can even call it "musicianship".

Other urls found in this thread:

soundcloud.com/jormangod/jorman-god-midnight-shrooms
soundcloud.com/jormangod/expedition
soundcloud.com/jormangod/jbenitex-modern-day
soundcloud.com/jormangod/jbenitex-exploration
soundcloud.com/jormangod/jbenitex-the-321
youtube.com/watch?v=xa2mooq5drQ
youtube.com/watch?v=UdWu09bUjPw
youtube.com/watch?v=ZszAUyA60eI
soundcloud.com/jormangod/jorman-god-1-defeat
youtube.com/watch?v=3S-aVCbiA-s
youtube.com/watch?v=3ArSb3lCc28
youtube.com/watch?v=KbFIGFv4GLQ
youtube.com/watch?v=aVjgRlto8PI
youtube.com/watch?v=eyJX7s6_FRM
youtube.com/watch?v=O_Fnj9IESN8
youtube.com/watch?v=cSl0xQp5xJM
youtube.com/watch?v=XW2e1kGyKcw
youtube.com/watch?v=6myJJbMJ2dQ
youtube.com/watch?v=aCA4yiPfFIg
youtube.com/watch?v=IIFH4XHU228
youtube.com/watch?v=jXjGwbVlO9o
youtube.com/watch?v=DpaUgwKlQBw
youtube.com/watch?v=w2Z1_9FChu0
youtube.com/watch?v=teiua5kpVO4
youtube.com/watch?v=-Q_rGe6C1S4
youtube.com/watch?v=geaIlnlS8bQ
youtube.com/watch?v=L2MoSvEVzRQ
youtube.com/watch?v=GLDxqnksY80
youtube.com/watch?v=FTKy3yswbG8
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>Can DJs be talented?
>Is there even such a thing a talented DJ?
Yes

>Are DJs really the lowest form of musicianship out there?
No

>If you can even call it "musicianship".
You can't.
Nobody actually involved in it does.

soundcloud.com/jormangod/jorman-god-midnight-shrooms

one shot recording live mix

>not a dj
just a producer thats a musician

professional too

yes, look outside "EDM" mate

You're back.
I missed you buddy.

Proof that you're real pls.

I have my old tracks 3 years ago

soundcloud.com/jormangod/expedition

soundcloud.com/jormangod/jbenitex-modern-day

soundcloud.com/jormangod/jbenitex-exploration

soundcloud.com/jormangod/jbenitex-the-321

old tracks jbenitex

>Can DJs be talented
You basically just answered your own question by posting one of the elite DJ's. If you look past the meme "EDM" artists David Guetta and Hardwell you will find DJ's that have talent (wether it be in scratching, mixing, remixing, or producing).

Also no, DJ's are not the lowest form of Muscianship, whatever the fuck that means...

You're all wrong

ok?

You're wrong

>everyones opinions suck because fuck you.

DJs are definitely not musicians but they can be talented

Nice retort man, you sure told them!

but im right?

Here's the (you) you have been searching for.

DJs just press play to shitty music. You can't deny that.

Thanks for the (you) friend

this

DJs never contributed anything to music too

They're not musicians (and they don't call themselves do), but they still serve a useful role. I mean, how would dance clubs function if not for DJ's? Pandora?

Define shitty music

Factually wrong.

*and they don't call themselves so

>what is everything rooted in jamaican soundsystem culture

This only applies to David Guetta. He can produce some good music, but he can't DJ for shit.

>Pandora
Yea why not? Why waste cash on someone to press play? Would you even notice?

Detroit and Chicago music scene say hi.

Yes, because mixing and a lot of dance music doesn't exist on Pandora.

Who gives a shit about shitty jamaican dance music other than /bleep/. In fact it only proves my point even more.
Same goes for you

>Muh mixing
>Muh variety

People are there to fuck and drink. No one cares except the DJs themselves lmao

>Who gives a shit about shitty jamaican dance music other than /bleep/. In fact it only proves my point even more.
>dance music
>hip-hop
>dub influenced a shit ton of genres including post-punk

Just about all popular music is in some way related to soundsystem culture.

kid koala

/thread

Good DJ's don't just press play, they have to create a good playlist to press play on, and furthermore they have to beat-match inbetween songs to ensure a good flow.

This. look at djs like louis the child. that's talent right there.

>This thread
>"DJ's press play all the time lul" memes

youtube.com/watch?v=xa2mooq5drQ

you´re trying to make entertaining people sound like rocket science. which it probably is since all you know about the beats is pressing 3 bass guitar keys for 2 minutes while a DJ does shitloads of technical Mac wizardry in order to get that couple million views up and mix every "real band"´s shit to sound acceptable in radio

>Can DJs be talented?
Yes. Not all DJ's get on set and just crossfade songs.
There's scratching (kinda a dying art), sampling, digital instruments etc.
Though most of today's DJ's make a predetermined set and just mix in songs.

Moreso, there's DJ producers / composers that produce great music and play multiple instruments and sing at live performances. Mind you this is one person doing all this shit which takes a lot of coordination and talent to not fuck up.

>tldr;
Yes but they're few and far between

The fuck are you on about?

Tune selection is an art in itself

youtube.com/watch?v=UdWu09bUjPw

that arguing about this shit is pathetic and i wish half the internet got laid this weekend so that Cred Forums overall quality would go up, including the stupid as fuck (You)´s that people send back including yours

No, because they are all retards

Spotted the Americans.

Beatmatching is relatively simple, especially with 4/4 music so that "skill" isn't really a marker of a good DJ.

A good DJ knows how to read a crowd, knows how to select songs that mix well and get the dance floor going, and most importantly knows how to be creative in his mixing so as not to play the same played out shit you hear everywhere else. It's about creativity and originality. 90% of it is selecting quality music (at least when we're not talking about battle DJs/scratching). Nobody calls them musicians any more than a museum curator is an artist.

Most people that are dismissive about DJing have probably never enjoyed themselves on a dancefloor in their life

ITT: Pards who have no knowledge of "DJing" outside of corporate "EDM" festivals

R.A.W > Your favourite DJ.
youtube.com/watch?v=ZszAUyA60eI

Indeed.
I've thought about DJing for side cash, but I lack the self control to play to a crowd rather than to myself

A lot of local bar "DJs" here get paid to get behind the booth and press play on iTunes. It's fucking aggravating

>If you can even call it "musicianship".

Who does? It's just people mixing tunes they like

Where the fuck are you going to see DJs

>I've never been to a club in my life.

Yet again........all wrong

But I said "Where the fuck are you going to see DJs" and you didn't answer

Except DJing and soundsystem are the basis for a lot of musical genres. How can you even dispute that?

dont feed the troll he didnt answer coz he´s 14 and cant afford the tickets that would be for adults only anyway

ok thats it i honestly believe now that Cred Forums knows nothing about music. NOTHING.

y

t. never seen a good dj set

let me just hold the door for you, professor music

When did u ever get that impression?

Total freedom is cool

coz all you do is spit memes while having zero education on any of this shit and are just here coz you heard a song on MTV and think you´re pretty hipster and music now yourself. at least Cred Forums knows what they´re talking about Cred Forums is just full of shit

Cred Forumsis pretty much the shitposting board.
The sooner you realize that the better a time you will have here.

My fucking nigga. Never seen TF get mentioned on here b4

mfw these niggas don't know they're being baited

>tfw he won't ever play in my country

When did this board get so fucking dumb

soundcloud.com/jormangod/jorman-god-1-defeat

kinda like a dj track but not lol

Turntablism is the hip hop art of manipulating sounds and creating music using turntables and a DJ mixer.

John Oswald described the art: "A phonograph in the hands of a 'hiphop/scratch' artist who plays a record like an electronic washboard with a phonographic needle as a plectrum, produces sounds which are unique and not reproduced—the record player becomes a musical instrument."

Modern day turntablism is the closest hip hop music gets to art music.

Turntablism repertoire has written notation, creating a musical part or score for their compositions and pieces. Great examples are DJ Yoda & Heritage Orchestras Concerto, Martin Tetreaults musique concrete for turntables, Kid Koalas Your Moms Favorite DJ, eriKm and DJ Spookys Ice Music works.

Of course, the history of the turntable being used as a musical instrument though has its roots dating back to the 1930s, 1940s and 1950s when musique concrète and other experimental composers (such as John Cage, Halim El-Dabh, and Pierre Schaeffer), used them in a manner similar to that of today's producers and DJs, by essentially sampling and creating music that was entirely produced by the turntable. Cage's Imaginary Landscape No. 1 (1939) is composed for two variable speed turntables, frequency recordings, muted piano and cymbal. Even earlier, Edgard Varèse experimented with turntables in 1930, though he never formally produced any works using them.

This school of thought and practice is directly linked to the current definition of hlp hop-related turntablism, though it has had an influence on modern experimental sound artists and composers such as Christian Marclay, Kid Koala, Otomo Yoshihide, Philip Jeck, DJ QBert and Janek Schaefer. These artists are the direct descendants of people such as John Cage and Pierre Schaeffer and are often credited as a variant to the modern turntablist DJ and producer.

Cut Chemist - youtube.com/watch?v=3S-aVCbiA-s
DJ Shadow - youtube.com/watch?v=3ArSb3lCc28
Kid Koala - youtube.com/watch?v=KbFIGFv4GLQ
DJ Krush - youtube.com/watch?v=aVjgRlto8PI
Rob Swift - youtube.com/watch?v=eyJX7s6_FRM
Roc Raida - youtube.com/watch?v=O_Fnj9IESN8
QBert - youtube.com/watch?v=cSl0xQp5xJM
Mix Master Mike - youtube.com/watch?v=XW2e1kGyKcw
Kentaro - youtube.com/watch?v=6myJJbMJ2dQ
DJ Craze - youtube.com/watch?v=aCA4yiPfFIg

Christian Marclay - youtube.com/watch?v=IIFH4XHU228
Martin Tetreault - youtube.com/watch?v=jXjGwbVlO9o
eRikm - youtube.com/watch?v=DpaUgwKlQBw
DJ Sniff - youtube.com/watch?v=w2Z1_9FChu0
Otomo Yoshihide - youtube.com/watch?v=teiua5kpVO4
Martin Tetreault & Kid Koala - youtube.com/watch?v=-Q_rGe6C1S4
Philip Jeck - youtube.com/watch?v=geaIlnlS8bQ
Jérôme Noetinger - youtube.com/watch?v=L2MoSvEVzRQ
John Cage - youtube.com/watch?v=GLDxqnksY80
Ground Zero - youtube.com/watch?v=FTKy3yswbG8

no one is talking about turntablists, we are talking about DJs, specifically today's DJs

turntablists are DJs too :-(

real dj checking in

no, it doesn't require much skill to be a dj.

>real dj
all you need is an understanding of time signatures, understanding of pitch/tone, knowing how to beat match, and a good sense of awareness so you can read the crowd.

>digital dj
literally no skill required. auto beat matching, auto pitch correction, auto song selecting, auto transitioning.

heres your (you)

>who is DJ Shadow

>literally no skill required. auto beat matching, auto pitch correction, auto song selecting, auto transitioning.
This, but there are plenty of DJs who use digital equipment and software who at least forgoe the a lot of the "automatic" stuff (especially transitioning and song selection) too.