Honest opinions

It's incredible

believe the hype

GOAT

It's ok

This generation's Kid A

its ok

He is heading in the right direction.
I just hope he gets something more interesting to talk about than drugs.
Oh and also it seems that they applied the "hip-hop method" to post-punk (and similar music), rather than the usual soul and funk music.
Actually interesting sonic inspirations without being derivative.

rolling stone is the only good song on the album

Album of the year

one of the weakest tracks

Honestly you can force it to be a 8/10 only because its hip-hop and gets a pass. Like forcing yourself to "like" it. His lyrical themes are pretty much the same. Some parts of it is boring. The songs are too short. His high-pitched voice are too much on certain point. In a unbiased analisys this is a 7/10. But if were being real its a 6/10.

aoty until it immediately got upstaged by 22 a million

i'm monitoring this thread

It's very good potentially my favorite hip hop album this year

It's a 7/10, but Golddust alone is a 10

>unbiased and being real are somehow two different things

Did that gibberish blob of text with three different ratings in it and no discernable knowledge of the English language on display somehow make more sense in your mind?

Light 7 to a decent 8 for me

but I have shitty sound system so

>In a unbiased analisys this is a 7/10. But if were being real its a 6/10.
>I have no idea how to express my feelings and opinions in english

Fantano will give this a 10. I'm almost sure of it.

I mentioned the flaws on this album. There are rappers and rappers. Kanye is a type of rapper who produces but have ghostwritters. Kendrick is a lyrical rapper who shines more than the production. Young Thug makes his voice being the most important melodical element in his raps combining it nearly perfectly with the production and Danny Brown who said he'll that hes a top 5 rapper with AE, the thing is hes style still interesting but his progress on his discography is not progressing, he can't top XXX for this moment, this ficking high-pitched voice man. Stop. It. Now. MC Ride was showing more versatile lately than Daniel, Earl and Vince, his flaw is not being about content but aleatority its like the name-dropping problem of The Game, and the Killer mike- Kendrick only-rapping-in-a-victimization-perspective or Future "dude drugs lmao" on 6 projects on a roll. Wtf.

1. thug
2. drake (fuck you)
3. kendrick

The album's great but his last 3 albums have been about the same shit. It's like I get it you party a lot but you're self aware about it, I get it

It's good, but with it's flaws. His voice can be grating.

8.5/10

How does this justify you presenting two different scores for one single album?

meme rap

i was talking in a perspective of a stan of fanboy, generally any atleast well produced hip hop album have its final score inflated because its hip hop, cause nearly all hip hop is dope, is good

but i a genre like hip hop, a half-mainstream rapper who experiments a little (essentially mixing rap with rock influences) are automatically overrated to the sky, like oh shit, "this is my core, this is the slipknot of this time", so to look better in the picture you overrates the shit out of your temporary favorite, bit the real thing is that he didn't topped his best album XXX, AE doesn't have what The Money Store have for exemple

nigga just stop

remove Rolling Stone and From the Ground and it gets a 9/10

why danny don't change his subject matter?
you'll gonna review it like "a psycho nightmare trip into the rappers experience on drugs, rockstar life and depression"

repeats it, xxx, old et. al

exactly like future muh drugs
wtf ... ¿¿¿¿¿

I didn't like Danny Brown's voice when I listened to XXX years ago, and I still don't.

A real shame as there seems to be some good beats on here, but he's just so damn annoying.

The song with petite noir was bad, so the album was kinda bad.

I liked it. The album is full of straight bangers with fantastic instrumentals. A few lulls here and there but I'd give it a strong 8. It's definitely up there in the AOTY conversation

His voice is so fucking irritating jesus fuck how do people like this.

this I can't enjoy it because of his voice

Great production though

I get that Danny is trying to convey how tortured his life and drug use is, but there's a difference in conveying that and just making the music itself sound tortured. Oooh spooky, the beats are mixed so you can't hear him very well and they're all over the place structurally! It sounds like fucking shit. I don't feel like I'm drowning due to my own vices. I don't feel like I understand Danny's perspective. I feel like I'm listening to an amateur. Not to mention we've already heard this story from Danny several times through much better albums. Danny's a one trick pony and this album is a disaster.

he sounds like the biggest fucking yokel. I honestly cannot enjoy this at all.

He drops the names of drugs a lot and obviously has had addictions past and present, but to me the album is more about being unhinged from reality, thinking chaotically, not trusting perceptions, etc.

Drugs are a huge part of it but it applies to more than just that

did you pop an extra adderall or something

by what?

Really good, but very few of the songs really strike me as needing repeat listens. Good but not necessarily memorable. Danny Brown as a character/entertainer is memorable, and I think this is his best entry yet, but its still not something I would jam to every day

AOTY for sure m8

This is better than Old though

>when ain't It funny hits

It's literally this decade's Hell Hath No Fury.

And that shit is a fucking classic.

oh shit

Lyrics are trash
Vocals are pretty good but can also be questionable or uninteresting
Beats are more often than not very good though

One of this year's best. It's also Danny's best yet. 8/10.

If you couldn't make sense of that well organised and very legible post, then it isn't their lack of language that's at fault buddo.

are you secretly a little retarded?
dont worry, you're among friends here

Are you aware that your opinion on the album is not literally the album, right?

Even Danny Brown has an opinion on the album.

I've never thought about it like that before but I can see that

lol only other person on Cred Forums that actually understands drug addiction

Still early. Really early, but I really enjoy the beats, as well as the variation in his voice and delivery. The lyrics, however, are just decent, and petty predictable at this point. I don't know, I'm a fan of story telling (i.e. gimme the loot, casualties of a dice game,scrap or die, etc.) and great verses w/ punchlines but sadly outside of the hooks nothing lyrically really stuck with me. Still though, it's a good ass rap album. 7.5/10.

Very good. The constant talk about drugs drags on (by Get Hi I was pretty sick of it) but I understand his need to talk about his experiences and mistakes with addiction, especially after how Old went over. I hope his next album moves on to some other topics, it would be cool if he rapped about his experiences as a parent rather than a child.

8/10 +1 because I have the same name as him, so 9/10.

It's perfect

9/10

New pasta?

you are such a bad writer. Please go back to ktt where you belong with your absolute shit taste.

>doesn't like rolling stone
ishiggydiggy familia

AINT IT
AINT IF FUNNY HOW IT HAPPENS
AINT IT
AINT IT
AINT IT

it's shit

crappy voice, can't get into it
have tried multiple times

dumb coreyposter

Haha, very funny. Pretending to like a bad album, hahaha! What a hoot!

And you'll probably respond with
>pretending
to further the joke, I am wet with anticipation. hmmmmmmm.

There is nothing I can do to avoid it, because you'll likely respond with
>joke
now, such amusement, so jolly I am.

stop posting this shit pasta

Replace petite noir with Kelela and you have my opinion

How important are the lyrics? Because I can't understand a word he says in this.

>his progress on his discography is not progressing,
flagged as retarded

you're having a stroke

Very.

For me: 9/10. It's not better than XXX imo. Also as other anons say: He's heading the right direction... I'm fucking estatic he avoided all the trap shit and is just heading his own way with the Joy Division inspiration.

more like it's LIT BABY

about to give it my first, actual listen.
pretty hyped

strong 8

It's a terrific album, but I still don't think it's superior to XXX.

Someone send help

This is horribly written and your opinion is shit.

6/10

great album, Ain't It Funny is a fucking 10/10

he's been going downhill since XXX.

I give it a 9/10. I love Old, but I thought the EDM/trap style on Side B was played out and was hoping he'd move to a more experimental route work more with producers like Paul White. I got EXACTLY what I was hoping for on AE, so I couldn't be happier with the result. The production is a perfect marriage with Danny's chaotic delivery and subject matter. Also, the lyrics are very relatable to my life so it also speaks to me on that level. I know the album isn't for everyone but I sure as hell loved it.

I like it a lot.

One of the contenders for aoty tbf

currently listening to golddust and this gif synced up to it

>Kendrick only-rapping-in-a-victimization-perspective

This is so painfully ironic, it's like you intentionally got it assbackwards just for the (You)s

anyone got a link?

college wifi closed torrent port

If I like Lil Ugly Mane's work, will I like this?

yes. just allow Danny's voice and lyrics to melt your brain. it's supposed to be abrasive

They aren't comparable but probably, its ridiculously well produced

if you like thats trying to co-opt black art, you'll love the real thing

Nice rhyme

Love how all y'all were saying just two days ago that it was better than xxx. Aint it funny how it happens

???

rolling stone is the best song on it
the album's like a 5/10

Exactly this. As much as I loved Old, that trap sound he had on Side B and other songs is super cliche nowadays, and I was hoping AE would be far more experimental and envelope pushing. I love the result.

>the 2nd most normal sounding song on the album is the best track

Pleb. I love Rolling Stone, though. One of my favorites.

album is too tryhard

At what?

Okay, so it's ALMOST perfect.

Would be 10/10 with these 2 things:

1. Take out "Rolling Stone", not only because it doesn't match the album's flow, but also because it is the least ambitious moment on the Album. Not to mention he had already tackled the same lyrical themes in "Die Like A Rockstar", which was placed similarly within it's respective album.

2. Change the Chorus of "Today".
It kills the momentum of the song instead of pushing the track forward, still I really like the fluidity and movement of the verses (both lyrically and Production-wise),

9.5/10, the rest of it is perfect. I wouldn't change anything else

got $10/month for a streaming service?

Won't argue on Rolling Stone, def. not my favorite track but the beat is so good.

Today's chorus is really important to the arc of the album imo. The idea of "it's your time to go" permeates the album. Danny's coke binge is constantly bringing up the question of whether or not today is the day he dies, so I took the chorus as an answer to the chorus in White Lines "lines and lines of coke, heart beating hope it's aint my time to go, take another snort, no way no way no way no no no no". After "then your best friend gets shot in the head" in When It Rains, the chorus really brings the whole album to a head

and then when he's hit rock bottom and its time to die he smokes some weed and everything is ok for an hour or two

4/10 made me listen to xxx
Production is interesting at times but that alone doesn't give it points for me. I guess it's good if you're more interested in listening to something that's different at the expense of any semblance of an enjoyable listen.

for all the people saying his voice is grating, yes.

And the beat on white lines is its perfect complement. Haven't heard ANY other rappers do anything like that.

Yeah I'm not a big fan of rolling stone either, but its kinda standard to couch a ~decent track infront of the album's unquestionable banger.

if this isn't an enjoyable listen you might just be a pussy

I think it's gonna really alienate Danny brown fans

I was talking to someone who really liked his former albums.

I'm personally loving some of these cyberpunk vibes, everyones talking about how the mix seems bad, but I have to think that he's not making a Hi fi electronic album, it seems like he wants to make a Lo fi gritty hip hop album.

there are some songs on this that aren't that great though.

Golddust aint that hot
neither is Rolling stone.

also, lyrics could be a little bit more deeper than just his usual.
DRUGS LMAO

still I'm loving the production and the overall feelings

8/10. I hope more hip hop artists try embracing this abrasive style

also is it just me or does it seem like this is really Death Grips inspired?

Also Earl has full on assumed the role of this generation's DOOM. Corny and wise with similar flow and lyrical content.

Hip Hop AOTY?
Absolutely, maybe even Hip Hop AOTD

AOTY?
Fuck no

>Not liking Goldust
wew
>Drugs LMAO
There's so much more detail in his expression than just name calling drugs

>Death Grips inspired
Literally, what inspired you to say this? None of these songs sound Grips-esque

>does it seem like this is really Death Grips inspired?
Doesn't sound influenced by them at all

Ain't it Funny and that's about it

Don't even bother, these guys saying it's DG inspired can't analyze rap as a legit genre and think of it at a purely surface level. If it's not boom bap or trap, it's Death Grips, because a black person is showing an emotional range that isn't extremely oversaturated in the current hip hop sound. And these redditors think DG is something completely new and original instead of a collection of very distinct influences, so everything that also nods towards those influences is stealing from DG. "hey this has guitars and loud drums...its like electronic rock....thats Death Grips!!!!!"

i like it but i was expected something more brutal desu. didnt he say this album was going to be like bdsm? it was more talking heads and less NIN than i was expecting it to be

>didnt he say this album was going to be like bdsm?

nope, it's like a flaccid coke-covered dick getting shot at point blank

>it was more talking heads and less NIN than i was expecting it to be

He said it was TH inspired in every single interview, idk what you expected

being inspired by something =/= copying it

you people are so fucking moronic. bowie explicitly said that DG and kendrick lamar influenced Black Star

>He said it was TH inspired in every single interview
i know thats why i mentioned TH but he also implied it was going to be more harsher than it actually ended up being. not complaining

does anyone have a flac dl link

You can hear a bit of DG influence in Blackstar though

>STARIN IN THE DEVIL'S FACE BUT YOU CAN'T STOP LAUGHIN
That line is perfect

Anything hip-hop that's remotely experimental is "DG-inspired" to so many people on this board.

It's great.

>it's a living nightmare that some of us might share
>Inherited in our blood that's why we're stuck in the mud

Just a terrific verse, at the top of his game Damny is clearly carrying the torch Eminem once held long long ago for meaningful drug addict rap that sacrifices none of the wit

niceme.me

AOTY

>Bowie
>Having anything to do with the topic at hand
You are fighting a lost cause, Sir

By the way when it comes to Blackstar, pretty much .
You can hear ideas from TPaB and Powers That B in Blackstar, so there's not really anything to discuss here.

Inspiration is different than Influence, and before you learn that. You will forever have a blockage of musical understand

Moron :^)

First listen thought it was like a strong 6, maybe light 7. I still thought it was pretty great. However when I listened while stoned, it got bumped up to a 9. It just clicked with me better. Great instrumentals all around, cohesive sound and direction, great performances and lyrical ability displayed by Danny.

Only thing keeping it from being a 10 is Pneumonia. I loved that track as a single, and still do, but in the context of the album it sounds so out of place. Don't get me wrong, it's a great song, but the fact that it's really the only track that separates from that psychadelic sound in favor of a more trap influenced sound really disrupts the flow of the album. It's definitely too early to tell but I think I might like this better than XXX and Old. I definitely like it better than The Hybrid.

AE=XXX

This is a valid point, but I see how DG could have had some influence on this album. It's more in spirit than in sound. It's very loud, abrasive, subversive, and at times overstimulating but intentionally so. It's Hip-Hop that uses cacophony to artistic effect, which recalls Death Grips in the minds of most Cred Forumstants (though they were far from the first to do so).

>I listen to music that sounds like shit because it makes me speshul!!!

Lmao

Danny said it's the only song on the album that violates the concept, so you're right on

your weak little ears can only handle U2 and elevator music I guess?

From The Ground is the only weak track for me, that hook is garbage. As for Pneumonia, I came to love it more within the context of the album and I can't quite explain why. Sonically, though I've never had a problem with it. It's trap influenced as you said, but much more chaotic and I can't get enough of it. The bells remind me of clipping's "Work Work" and they're used almost to the same effect.

What did he mean by this?

Incumming

danny brown just becamed my favorite modern artist because of how dope it sounded and how different it was. He'ss like MF Doom and Outkast combined, give it up for the man

holy shit

>For me:[nine outta ten]. It's not better than XXX in my [opinion]. Also as other anons say: He's heading the right direction... I'm fucking estatic he avoided all the trap shit and is just heading his own way with the Joy Division inspiration.

The sound and production of the album are huge leaps from anything he's put out previously, and the depictions of addiction are more vivid and terrifying. But it's ultimately more of the same in terms of lyrics and themes (calling the first song downward spiral, with the same inflection he used on XXX, is definitely an intentional choice to let us know this is basically XXX 2.) It's not as funny/clever as XXX either, which is also probably intentional, but that void isn't filled by anything else lyrically. I'd say it's definitely at least an 8.5/10 but it's mostly because of the producers (especially Paul white).

Light 9

listening to really doe. i feel like this is the meme track

Can someone link?

THEY SAY I GOT THE CITY ON FIRE

Sounds like every other overhyped hip hop album of the past 5 years.

Can someone please explain what is so supposedly groundbreaking about this album? Sampling Joy Division?

>BRO DRUGS LMAO
>BRO PUSSY LMAO
>BRO GUNS LMAO

Entirely unremarkable album. I can see why it would appeal to teenagers though. I'll stick with Saul Williams. He released the actual hip hop AOTY. Too deep for the millennial denizens of Cred Forums though.

(You)

this album is not for avant teens

oh man 2deep4me i better stick wit dat kendik lamare and yung tuger

You are dumb

I've never listened to Danny Brown before other than the Frankie Sinatra feature, but this is great.

This is how you know you're sheltered.

>Dance in the Water

FUCK YEA THAT BASS

youtube it you Neanderthal

what did he mean by this?

best: rolling stone
runner-up: when it rain
overrated: really doe
underrated: rolling stone
worst: dance in the water

>best: rolling stone
>worst: dance in the water

>tfw this is the only nuanced opinion in this whole thread

Such a tasty b8

watch Fantano's review, he explains it pretty well. I'm being serious

It's AOTY

hands down

1. this pasta sucks
2. quit shitting up threads
3. i bet you kiss prostitutes

Truly God tier.

PROTIP: If you're posting here, you're a millennial too, dipshit.

I was one of the first people to reply in this thread and the fact that it's still going with people arguing is goddamn awful. Fuck all of you.

Grew up in the Detroit area, listened to Danny Brown since the get go. Never really loved his voice/timbre. However, this album for me allows me to listen to it start to finish and truly her a cohesive theme for the first time.

>But XXX is better you pleb

Maybe for you, but this album knocks XXX out of the water for me.

Feeling a solid 9.4/10

***HEAR #typo

>Oooh spooky, the beats are mixed so you can't hear him very well and they're all over the place structurally!
you can hear him just fine through literally the entire album. what the fuck are you listening to?

>when aint it funny hits

>"wise"
all earl does is talk about "depression" while incorporating big words.

I don't think it's perfect either, but fuck do you sound annoying.

what's your fucking problem?

kek, true
even I could rap better than that guy

Stop this meme

I just can't stand his voice, it's intolerable. I can't get through the album. The production is nice, but his voice is grating to my ears.

It's pretty good but, this sounds weird, but it sounds a little... forced? I love the direction he's heading at and he's definitly very creative but the album was still all over the place and packed with too many ideas to me. I think he still has to find that sweet spot, the distinct sound hes trying to create and make a full album with it. And I believe he can do it, but this album was more of an experiment for an upcomming better version to me. And am I the only one who thinks Really Doe is really weak? Seems so out of place and I really hate the Kendrick hook on there.

chill, he isn't the Vektor of rap or some shit. His voice is versatile unlike the other 99% of the game which consists of monotonous personality deficits mumbling through the motions or nasal voiced manlets.

i think you got your arrows backwards

This

I don't get it

Really bad, for 12 year olds who want to appear edgy.

i probably bullied you up in high school you fucking queer

The production is my favorite part of the album. The majority of the beats are actually pretty nice and fresh sounding.
Danny's versatility in terms of changing his voice as well as his cadence to accommodate the different songs is impressive and the hooks are pretty damn catchy.

The biggest weak point are the lyrics. They're borderline formulaic and pretty damn predictable. They repeatedly cover the same themes and aren't very memorable unfortunately. Even though it's pretty shallow in that sense It's still a damn good album overall and Danny definitely has potential to become a better lyricist/story teller if he wants to. I think we still haven't heard his best yet.

IS THAT A SAMPLE OF BLACK MAMBA BY CUT HANDS ON PERSUASION?

Pandering psuedo-experimental indie-rap trash.

Are we really this desperate for good new music?

Lil Uzi Vert >>>>>>>>>>>>> Danny Brown

I don't like Old but come on it's obviously better than The Hybrid

Tell me about the cover, what's it referencing?

"Ain't it funny" is song of the year.

It made me audibly squeal. Last song that made me do that was "Body and blood" by Clipping

That minimal sound was already popular bu then. There isn't anything that sounds like atrocity exhibition