/prod/ - Music production general: mono midi edition

Talk about music production, composition, songwriting and audio engineering.

Upload WIPs on clyp.it/

GIVE feedback and RECEIVE feedback.

>ATTENTION!
DO NOT post Soundcloud, YouTube or any other links where you are not anonymous (unless somebody asks you for it). That is considered self promotion and will usually result in a bad feedback.

>LEARNING RESOURCES

(Obligatory mixing course)
>The Art of Mixing by David Gibson
youtu.be/TEjOdqZFvhY

(Obligatory synthesis course + additional related videos)
>Intro to Synthesis by New York School of Synthesis
youtu.be/atvtBE6t48M
YouTube channels that you should subscribe to:

>Point Blank Music School
youtube.com/channel/UCIWNozFjO8yVdJFsGKVmPgg

>Pensado's Place
youtube.com/user/PensadosPlace

>SeamlessR (in-depth music production and sound design tutorials, based on FL Studio)
youtube.com/user/SeamlessR

>BusyWorksBeats (same as above, a lot of good new content coming)
youtube.com/user/busyworksbeats

>ADSR Music Production Tutorials
youtube.com/channel/UCf5UKh_cj2_5pUomhyswWYQ

>Justin Omoi
youtube.com/channel/UCMnmXvv9JHJPsrrob-gEn5A

>WarBeats
youtube.com/user/nfxbeats/videos

>Samori Coles (not many videos, but a few good ones on compression and EQ)
youtube.com/user/homestudiotutor/videos

>Modern Mixing
youtube.com/user/ModernMixing/videos

>Image Line Tutorials (for FL Studio users)
youtube.com/user/imageline/playlists

>READ THIS BEFORE ASKING WHERE TO BEGIN

Other urls found in this thread:

clyp.it/44teyml4
clyp.it/nvuzkrby
soundcloud.com/jormangod/jorman-god-moon-freestyle
soundcloud.com/jormangod/jorman-god-future-rap
clyp.it/zxx2z0w
jormangod.bandcamp.com/album/jorman-god-mixtape-1
clyp.it/1p50bl1b
youtube.com/watch?v=62cYA2lyMH8
clyp.it/svgqiuoq
clyp.it/yscbruqk
youtube.com/watch?v=PBdH6SjBEX8
native-instruments.com/en/products/komplete/synths/massive/
youtube.com/watch?v=GFnFB1ih0oY
soundtoys.com/product/sie-q/
clyp.it/t20lbyiu
clyp.it/wrdhzbxy
soundcloud.com/dummymag/dummy-mix-181-total-freedom
soundsinhd.com/wp-content/uploads/edd/2015/02/HIM3-demo.mp3
rutracker.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5144160
clyp.it/1woilc3i
clyp.it/jelgxh05
clyp.it/iyrb0ajq
clyp.it/0rkte4co
soundcloud.com/airbornmartin/don-henley-boys-of-summer-airborn-reboot
youtube.com/watch?v=AEkHtIrq4RU
clyp.it/fgwdh0v4
clyp.it/nb3reyps
clyp.it/5am2tfe5
youtube.com/watch?v=os3RvcpAUXg
clyp.it/kpsu141x
soundcloud.com/jormangod/diss-nigga-lobo-g-nigga/s-X6ntO
dropbox.com/s/jeb6o3h5ancp5va/file.wav?dl=0
clyp.it/gxu14s10
clyp.it/c0yng4ck
native-instruments.com/en/reaktor-community/reaktor-user-library/blocks/
clyp.it/qjkfmgap
clyp.it/czee0kan
instaud.io/yO3
clyp.it/sglywwff
clyp.it/xd5dz0nv
clyp.it/2jacsyjo
clyp.it/piavu1ow
youtube.com/watch?v=klPKTI8uzjU
soundcloud.com/vowlmusic/glass-ceiling
clyp.it/2qtp1xgv
clyp.it/jfisgh3m
clyp.it/amqyyulj
clyp.it/go2ftdaz
clyp.it/h0ktbdmf
clyp.it/0xdq2xvg
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taoism
clyp.it/05yfmj3y
clyp.it/oyic3syf
twitter.com/AnonBabble

clyp.it/44teyml4
is this missing a more active bass line, or would that muddy things up? most of the low frequencies are from the drums, and a bit the guitar at thins point i think. no actual "bass" part.

Anyone got latest NI Massive download link?

Thinking on buying some hardware polysynth to jack my midi keyboard into. Starting out cheap and easy, opinions on Korg Volca Keys?

i dont actually own one, but i think for gear that cheap/simple (not that either of those are a bad thing) it's kinda just "what you see is what you get"

clyp.it/nvuzkrby

a suh dude

I know this is the worst place to post this and it may sound cancerous, but:

What sample packs and plugins should I look into for making pop-EDM? Typical top 40 shit like The Chainsmokers, Jonas Blue, Major Lazer, etc.

Also another big problem for me is finding decent acapellas since this genre is centered around the vocals, but I guess that if I can't find a vocalist then I'm stuck to doing remixes for now.

vengeance samples are perfect for EDM

for acapellas try subreddits

missed the plug-ins aprt
I use:
Camel Crusher for distortions
Ambience by Magnus for sweet reverb
and the Diva for synths, but's more analog sounding, so for EDM I would suggest Massive, Serum or Sylenth

i have a track called Apex that was made with the bass and arp on the Diva, but it's a prog house EDM bange, check it out

I'm a total noob (never music'd before) and I want to make some vaporware thing. I use linux. What should I get/do? I have audacity already.

thanks for any advice boyos..

Get a proper DAW

uploading album today here are my new tracks that i made

soundcloud.com/jormangod/jorman-god-moon-freestyle

soundcloud.com/jormangod/jorman-god-future-rap

Can you run OS X/macOS or Windows in a virtual box, or use wine (or its Linux equivalent) to run other DAWs?

It's just that Audacity isn't a full DAW.

I think you'd have fun with Ableton Live or FL Studio, although I despise FL Studio. It's great for beginners, though, but I find the interface confusing, so look up some tutorials.

If you want to record traditional tracks from start to finish, get Cubase.
If you want to cut up and slice samples and use MIDI, then get Ableton. You can get going with it quite quickly, and then you'll have years of finding out more stuff. It's a deep DAW. My favourite ever, and I've been using DAWs for 15 years.

I use mostly the Vengence House packs for drums, but I've been looking for something a little more natural sounding and that would fit well with indie rock/alt-r&B

can you guys have any recommendations for specific packs or kits?

What i meant was how much of a good investment would Volca Keys be for a beginner?

I got three listens already despite never posting, spooky
clyp.it/zxx2z0w

>spooky

>clyp.it/44teyml4
thanks for ear rape

kek

>tfw I have camel crusher but still usually forget about it and use native FL studio distortion plugin, and it's the same with every other plugin, I just use native ones since I'm used too it
What's wrong with me?

*too used to it

PREVIOUS THREAD:

DON'T FORGET TO DO THIS!

native ones are usually very nice, that's why theyre the official native ones

but camel crusher has a lot of variety and energy to it

jormangod.bandcamp.com/album/jorman-god-mixtape-1

new 15 track album out

with my old tracks that over 1000 plays on it too

>vengeance samples are perfect for people that hate music

fify

good investment. the fun alone is worth the price imo.

Do I need one of those if I use a MIDI/USB keyboard controller?

Hey d3wds I'm stuck on this clyp.it/1p50bl1b
any ideas?

Volca keys is a pretty good investment but if you have a computer a better investment would be a midi keyboard with a few knobs/faders.

You can generate amazing sounds in a computer it's just control/expression is a bitch without some sort of physical keyboard/controller

Need for what?

What are you trying to achieve?

one has nothing to do with the other

that is for recording audio into the computer from an external source.

midi controllers send midi data via USB directly to the computer to trigger sounds that exist within the computer. no additional devices are needed.

Just use a Novation Impulse or Launchkeys with Ableton.

I knew that this is for instruments that produce sounds and not controller but then I saw this faggot using one with Impulse and got confused.
youtube.com/watch?v=62cYA2lyMH8

>clyp.it/1p50bl1b
sounds pretty good sonically. needs some chords to back up the leads tho.

also, the drums sounds like they are 128k mp3 loops with nasty artifacts

Not that guy, but I guess those are some kind of a e s t h e t i c s that are popular now, I hear it all the time here. I kinda like that clyp though.

>sounds good sonically
how else could it sound good, visually?
This board makes me want to rip my taint hair off an tape it to the back of my head.

it's not the samples, it's how the people use them

ishiggidiggydoo

This
>listen to song on radio
>ripped off dubstep sounds
>its vengeance presets for massive arranged with no editing of what so ever.

>listen to a piece by Chopin on a radio
>ripped of Steinway & Sons piano sound
>immediately disregard both the pianist and a composer for using premade sounds

I don't mean to brag, but I was myself pleasantly surprised when I used techno samples to dub a classical cello track.

Turned out amazing. Cinematic almost

I guess its okay to use to some extent, but this track had 5 different presets every 4 seconds. The difference in sound was huge. Didnt fit at all.

well Julee Cruise from Twin Peaks and her management think different.

except that is a shit version of a e s t h e t i c s

you should, maybe it will give you some real inspiration

Any eurorack fags here?

we will be the judge of that faggot

wtf im voting for trump now

>Picked up a push 2
>One if the pads gets activated by even the slightest bump of my table and when I hit pads next to it hard
Kill me

clyp.it/svgqiuoq
Hows my mixing? Any other ideas I can implement?
Shout outs to the guy that said to open up the EQ, i did decide to take out the crackles though, it seemed a bit distracting. I may add them back in for the 2nd part.

Reminds me a lot of the berserk anime stuff for some reason. You could always try EQing out some of the lows from the drums to make room for the bass if you want to extend out the bass lines.

There are usually soundcloud threads for post like this. I like the smooth piano in the first track, but the synths sound out of place IMO

what he said

what

>speakers blew up
lel

clyp.it/yscbruqk

smooth motherfucker
what sample pack is this

completely out of place, why would you ruin such a great organic piece with a gridded beat? do you hate music?

even the modulation on the percussion has no life to it, are they just samples? did you even do anything? kek

dem quads doe
these are assembled from techno packs by Raw Loops and Artisan Audio

>i'll just keep replying to myself
>maybe someone will think it's worth listening to

>thnks he knows what modulation is
>has no idea how the original samples sound like

Julee Cruise, who's a friend of mine was insanely impressed. that's all I'm gonna say.

I think her opinion matters more than some condescending user who probably makes hip hop and trap sampled beats.

Sup butt/prod/ders?

I recently picked up pic-related and started slowing learning how to produce with it and sequence external midi gear, but it's a slow process with a steep learning curve since the manuals are shit.

Anyone have much experience ditching DAWs and using something like this?

topkek

>Julee Cruise
literally who

show us the part of the conversation where you said all you did was take someone else's entire cello performance and added a gridded beat to it.

>doesn't know what modulation is
kek, there is clearly some kind of modulation going on in the perc hits. but since it doesn't change over time, it sounds like its just part of the sample.

>this fucking cuck

she's the singer on the Twin Peaks soundtrack

youtube.com/watch?v=PBdH6SjBEX8

What the fuck did you just say to me you little bitch, I got over 50 000+ confirmed hours in every possible DAW (Audacity included).
Using sample packs is like buying a premade food and saying you made it because you arranged it on a platter in a different way. Why would you post this personal stuff on a mexican clam tasting forum, got no friends huh?
>800 following
Yeah, no.

>"YOU ARE PROJECTING"
>"HAH, HIP TRAP BEATS"

Yeah, sure stay mad faggot.

>pic is me after a studio session with pros

who's the mad one here?

why reply tho

There is value in the $150 price, the sound is something I can't recreate 100% in massive or any other vsts but I do get a problem in my DAW every once and while where I stop play back mid note and the volca keys will hold that note until I send the same key again. Super annoying, but again $150.

i apologies, I'm newfag

knock it off, idiots.

>stop play back mid note and the volca keys will hold that note
thats because the volca never gets to the 'release' portion of the envelope because play back has stopped from another source. common with analog gear being controlled externally. This is actually why MIDI PANIC exists.

see

What is your background? How long have you been producing and composing and are you a music student by any chance?

>falling for the bait

I studied accordion as a kid and classical guitar as a teenager.

Started producing in 2010 by emulating youtube tutorials on deep house.
Got contacted on soundcloud by a label owner from Canada and released first EP in 2012.

I have a solid basis of knowledge on Ableton now. I don't really need tutorials anymore, and have a workflow that is highly efficient.

>starting song with drums

>thinks user actually performed the cello part

>doesn't understand melody and rhythm can exist without each other

What was that cello sample btw? I have a Tina Guo one and it is pretty good but I would like to know what is this one too.

Giovanni Sollima - Terra Aria from his Works, 2005

Percussion is like watered down melody for retards

Nobody said that, my man. I'm wondering because the composition is pretty good.

says the guitar fag

So you literally just slapped a beat on a cello.

Oh, you sampled that, thanks. Beautiful piece t b h.

didn't need to say, it was implied. even more so now that you are referencing the composition that was clearly the cello performer's part.

As I have said, I have asked him how long has he been producing and composing, not playing, he still could have made that kind of piece in a piano roll, with a good kontakt library and automation, without knowing any instruments.

Well, the playing is masterful and why would I ruin it by sampling or cutting it?
I just always thought it would benefit from background supportive percussion

I hold the original to very dear to my heart and don't want to butcher it.

>I hold the original to very dear to my heart and don't want to butcher it.
too late

Dot get me wrong I think it fits great with the cello.

bruh u salty tho

>state opinion
>STAY MAD SALTY PROJECTING?

na, user was right. quantized beats on a natural performance that wasn't meant to be clocked just sounds bad.

drop it and move on with your lives.

yeah its at the NI website

native-instruments.com/en/products/komplete/synths/massive/

its $149.00 faggot

korg volcas a good starting point for analog hardware they worek well with midi in as well, avoid volca sample however

youtube.com/watch?v=GFnFB1ih0oY

if you're just doing plunderphonics type stuff like vaporwave audacity on your crap linux distro is just fine. go get it!

>waiting for crazy synths to kick in

yes, dont ditch a DAW for that. you're really just putting an unnecessary hill in front of you, use them both for their respective strengths

utter garbage. I can feel the emotional weight carried by each individually sampled movements but its completely lost in the sampling and the mix, and the double time beat at the end is completely superfluous. way to ruin a beautiful sample.

well good job you ruined a beautiful piece by putting unnecessary percussion behind it. if the composer had meant there to be percussion he would have written it into the score.

soundtoys.com/product/sie-q/

free eq from soundtoys

STOP WITH THE WATER-BASED COIN MUSIC FOR THE LOVE OF A GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

once again prod is a shitty hole of crap tunes

clyp.it/t20lbyiu

wat do

do nothing, it goes nowhere next.

youre not making it any better user

So this is when you hype a track when it's utter crap

You could be the next button pusher DJ

Amazing

what does that mean? if its done, what should i do next?

neat, super comfy coloration from the first impression
the top end reminds me a bit of me maag eq4

clyp.it/wrdhzbxy

Really having a hard time finding a good direction for this track. It's a mess.

Any suggestions appreciated!

Total Freedom is a cool DJ senpai

soundcloud.com/dummymag/dummy-mix-181-total-freedom

i really like the middle, personally i would remove/change the drums and guitar

lose everything after 1:08 - if you want to keep it, use it as an abrupt outro to fade out.

expand on the middle section. you drums don't sound great, beef them up and bring them up in the mix as well.
the bulk of your track is that section.

the transition from the intro to the middle bit doesn't work as the sustained pad decays too quickly to silence. let the track hang there for a couple of seconds as well - just room noise.

thanks for your comments.
im a bit more certain about the intro section. but i really want to make those granular drums work, I think they could sound great with the right treatment.
guitar does not fit in so well, im going to take a whole nother approach with that.

just got Kontakt 5 for mac and am looking for some libraries because my version came with none, what are your guys recommendations for essential libraries? I want a good piano mostly but also some strings and orchestral stuff. and also does anyone have any links? I'm looking for a torrent for session strings pro right now but it's proving to be a little difficult

I really dig the High Impact sample packs.
I only have 3 and 4 but they are really nice.
Found this samplepack demo if you wanna listen:
soundsinhd.com/wp-content/uploads/edd/2015/02/HIM3-demo.mp3

How do I make music?

best kontakt piano i've ever heard is cinesample's piano in blue. google its name + rutracker. the native instruments ones i quite dislike.

the 8dio piano libraries are the shit

get an instrument and poke at it carefully, then its up to you

thanks guys, I'll check them out. you guys are some of the first on here for me who have responded with actual advice lol

does anybody here mix on ableton? I'm a producer too I swear.

What version of osx? I've got 10.8.5, and my version of Kontakt 5 only works with libraries from like 2010 and earlier. The only torrents I can find that can use newer libraries are for newer versions of osx and I don't want to upgrade. So far I've got session strings pro, new york grand, mm-bass, Abbey Road Modern Drummer and one of the Rhodes libraries.

I'm on 10.11.2, I found a pretty good sounding grand but all of the sample files are .ncw which I think just isn't compatible with kontakt 5 on my mac. I'd love those libraries, just having trouble on finding them. do they use wavs for the samples?

Sounds like some Fragile-esque Reznor stuff which is a def a good thing

That's just Native Instruments' proprietary file system.

Try rutracker.org. It's in russian so translate it in google chrome. Should have everything you need

In my experience, GIANT piano is by far the best and most flexible piano I've ever heard. I deleted all of my other piano libraries to save space since I don't use them at all anymore.

>10.11.2

this is why upgrading sucks. I typically stick with the same OS that came with the computer. OS upgrades just add minimal features and break existing things that work.

Actually, I'll give those a chance too, sound promising.

nothing, its boring

>tfw only have 150 gigs left and I want to download Omnisphere, Spitfire Solo Strings and Cinematic Strings 2

Damn it, I've burned through 1TB of HDD in like 2 months.

>tfw upgraded from a 500GB external to a 2TB external and now I have so much more room for sample libraries

just torrented a bunch of kontakt stuff, omnisphere and trilian

spitfire
spitfire
?
more spitfire

highest quality of anything and everything orchestral sampler on the market atm

sup /prod/

needs some help with some hardware and ableton setup.

I have a drum machine that is synced up to ableton. I have adjusted the midi clock timing so that it compensates for the audio lag time... my buddy let me borrow a nice analog filter, I was thinking about using this as an "external effect" in ableton, but on my master track so it affects everything. will this further increase the audio lag? also will I have to readjust the midi clock timing?

since you faggots like to give ratings like kys awful 0/5 im not sharing projects here anymore.

there´s no point discussing production with counter productive lazy shitposters. you dont deserve anything and Lunga should sue you for using that image in OP. No real black people would hang out with Cred Forums

Christ dude. Grow some skin and stop posting when the productive members are at work.

no im growing a middle finger. fuck your website

haven't done this but in theory, master out > filter > back in the daw would introduce output+input latency

however, since the drum machine is going into the DAW prior to master going out to the filter, i would assume it would stay on time.

might be less of a headache to just do the filter business on the mixdown, after the track's done.

Can somebody say where I can download Omnisphere for Windows? I see some link on TPB but it is 7 years old, the rest are for mac.

>might be less of a headache to just do the filter business on the mixdown, after the track's done.

i considered that, but i'd like to have it in my setup for live performance purposes. maybe i'll just stick with ableton's built in filter.

rutracker.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5144160

go with god.

Based, thanks.

if the filter allows for stereo passthrough you could just go straight from daw > filter > venue mixer for your whole set.

also, as long as you've got 2x stereo out on your interface, you could occupy two stereo channels on the mixer - one from interface > mixer the other from interface > filter > mixer and cross fade into the filter channel when you want to use it.

these are actually good ideas... thanks

tho i'm not actually playing out at a gig, just trying to do full live performance as a means of recording and still have the ability to polish it up later.

the filter actually has midi, so maybe i can just record it that way and have Interface out > Filter > Speakers

clyp.it/wrdhzbxy

Here's some daesh music that I remixed using just a v-kit and mpk mini.

I'm just so bad with transitions.

clyp.it/1woilc3i

wrong link link.

this sounds like complete trash. i dont even know what advice i can provide you with. i dont know where to begin. were you just trying to be edgy?

Where do you guys think I should go with this? Literally just started it. I dug around in the FL Foley folder ad found some cool sounds.

plz rate it

fug, forgot link.
clyp.it/jelgxh05

I do, what do you want to know

there's really not much to it, the Electribe 2 is a midi beast with 16 channels. The only thing it can't do well is polyphony.

I've got a modular synthesizer that's clocking a beatstep pro via DIN sync. The beatstep pro is providing a midi clock to my Electribe ESX and my DAW (Maschine studio). Other instruments are connected wherever/however they make sense.

I usually use the beatstep pro as a trigger generator to control the modular but sometimes I'll use the synth parts to control the modular via CV. If I need to side chain with the modular I'll have a drum pad output MIDI to an Electribe to trigger the drum sound and route the CV gate to an inverted envelope to the VCA.

The Electribe 2 can go wherever in the MIDI loop it makes sense. I'll use it to sequence more modern equipment with more MIDI channels. Like the Roland Fantom XR has 16 polyphonic midi channels and pairs very well with the Electribe 2.

basically just connect it however you want you can do whatever you feel like

Already can tell you to had some lush saws for the hook. also change up the drum patten a bit, maybe make it longer. Add some swing to it. You got a pretty good idea going on there.

clyp.it/iyrb0ajq

I normally make idm and stuff so this is new to me what do

I dropped a benzo and did a lot of shit to the track, I think it is a lot better right now.

I especially like the chords at the end.
Drums surely need some more work though.

Again, any suggestions welcome!

clyp.it/0rkte4co

fuckin love it, sounds a lot like ed harrison.

I was thinking of bitcrushing some square waves and getting a NES pad sound. What do you think?

Yea man, that sounds like a good idea!

Alright, I'll get to it.

can someone judge the production value on a video I made for a clyp I posted a couple threads ago? there are never any threads for music videos and I dont feel like starting one

Say that to my face you cunts.
I dont even give a fuck!!

soundcloud.com/airbornmartin/don-henley-boys-of-summer-airborn-reboot

enjoy!!!

posting soundcloud links in /prod/ threads is frowned upon a bit. are you new?

Anyone know how I'd get this synth sound?
youtube.com/watch?v=AEkHtIrq4RU
Starts at 0:53 in the background

Thanks in advance

What's the best (preferably free) program for music composition?

i know that
i also know you're all just stuck ups who think you're elitist, when you have no idea what you're doing.

keep frowning friend

you meanie :(

Can someone share some start from scratch videos where they make a song and shit

dude you're not talented its ok

which sounds better
clyp.it/fgwdh0v4

clyp.it/nb3reyps

>airborn reboot

kek what did you even """""""""reboot"""""""""

What plugins do I need for Ableton !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
please

how do I make beats like j dilla in ableton

if you have suite the plugins that come with it are ok

>add drum loop from reddit and pitch down a song by 10 cents
>producent of the year
STAY MAD JEALOUS FAGS

Omnisphere has to be the based-est thing I have seen in a while. Jesus christ, the sounds, the controls, the cool little descriptions of every sound. B A S E D.

How many hours a day do you /prod/?

clyp.it/5am2tfe5

ree

I'm a newfag, what's the significance of Lunga? I know he shows up in a lot of /prod/ threads.

boring and repetitive

I want it sooooooooooooo bad but I do not have 500 fucking dollars. It really looks worth it too

Go on

>muh grid
this is such a meme-criticism by this point. there's nothing wrong with quantizing

lol if this isnt a troll, it's legitimately the dumbest musical opinion i've ever heard

>it would've been in the original song if it was meant to be there
what is sampling and sample based music?: the post

theres worse criticisms

memo to newbies: ignore Jbenitex at all times, he's a resident Cred Forums troll

Omnisphere is the best investment I've ever made. You can make entire record quality songs using only it.

woah dood, this gui playz by his OWN rulez XD

Don't listen to this fag. I like it

>I'm a newfag, what's the significance of Lunga? I know he shows up in a lot of /prod/ threads.
Making music with friends. It's the kind of atmosphere we want here.

what?

Thanks~ any criticisms? I did it in two days, it's a mess still.

I don't care if someone says it boring desu, meme "criticism" that holds no weight.

wow dude, butthurt much?

people gave you legit criticism, deal with it

>clyp.it/5am2tfe5
For this style I'd try to make my drums sound bigger and also use higher quality drum sounds. For me track below (starting at about 1:30) is the gold standard of drum sounds. I'd recommend trying to find different samples/tweaking within the vst instead of adding a shitton of effects.

youtube.com/watch?v=os3RvcpAUXg

good drums but going for more of a laid back jazz mixed with classical feel. BBNG is more jazz fusion, electronic nu jazz

Is the TR8 worth buying? Since the sounds are digital it seems like you might as well just use a plugin. Is the sound or performance aspect really good enough to drop 500$ on one?

I have one, and I use it all of the time. I also have the Volka beats which is part analog and I hardly use it. My roommate loves to jam on the TR-8.

I've spent $500 on worse

lel, dont have time to read through this garbo anymore, im out
it was good while it lasted

Feedback pls

clyp.it/kpsu141x

I use musescore sometimes. Noteflight is also a good online score editor.

I was making a joke, friendo.
Don't let yourself be discouraged.
More important than talent is intrinsic motivation anyways. I've always considered my only real talent is having a true passion music.

Just keep on doing what you do man.

PLOX

soundcloud.com/jormangod/diss-nigga-lobo-g-nigga/s-X6ntO

how is this quality good for me bitch nigga

im a rich nigga with no mic and i still got bars bitch

This is too consistent to even be a troll

dropbox.com/s/jeb6o3h5ancp5va/file.wav?dl=0

first thing i've tried to make. techno-ish and still very wip. i know it's mixed terribly but interested in general feedback.

get an er-1

n-no one

first one, though the low end needs more mixing

will my minilogue become redundant if i buy an elektron analog keys?

clyp.it/gxu14s10

:^)

is the bass to loud, Cred Forums

clyp.it/c0yng4ck

kind of like it, did you use beat repeat? if not try pitchshifting the fills

what is beat repeat?

pretty good, though it's missing something

an ableton audio effect to make "fills" out specific portions of audio and kind of spice up otherwise straight loops in a semi "random" fashion, it also can progressively pitch-shift the fill, but only lowering it, i like it more when it goes up

i tried adding other voices but the bass's high notes always steal the attention

are there any good places to get serious, high quality, anonymous track critiques? not reddit.

real life probably

i mean, are you sure? i feel like in real life you'd likely run into biased groups unless you're doing some rigorous sampling or other bullshit. especially for less mainstream music styles, showing tracks to random friends or random people you see irl probably would not get you very much feedback.

i don't know a single person irl who shares my personal taste, but i know of many online

Is it normal that I only finish like a fifth of the tracks I start

if you're completing more than a 10th, you're doing well

plus, you never know, you may someday come back to those old incomplete ones. i do that a lot.

yes

threadly reminder that reaktor blocks are are the most exciting thing to happen to softsynths in years

native-instruments.com/en/reaktor-community/reaktor-user-library/blocks/

i mean by playing live, if people don't run away and if someone comes up to you to tell you they enjoyed it then you know you are at least doing something right

i wouldn't be able to rely on this given the style of music i make, unless i were playing a show at an event or club that i am not qualified to be at

no

what style of music do you make?

clyp.it/qjkfmgap
Have i just made industrial funk?
thoughts on this?

im guessing some sort of big house or edm

clyp.it/czee0kan

sooooo essentially I have no idea where this song is going. Any ideas for after 1:10? yeh the mixing is shit I know

noob here...i feel like i know how to use a synthesizer but not really put a song together with them. Is this a music theory issue or not knowing how to really use a synth? im using massive

what genre do you produce? elaborate

I always end up with an incredibly wide stereo image. When compared to other records my stereo field is far greater. When I reduce the wideness my tracks sound far worse. Is having a large stereo image bad and what should I do to correct this without compromising the sound?

Does it sound bad?

it's your headphones/ monitoring setup. But really if you like wide, keep it.

Yes and no. It makes my tracks sound big but sounds fail to pop out of the mix they way they do in pro mixes.

what do you mean? I produce/monitor on ath mx50 and krk 5s.

can we listen?

bass should stay away from going too stereo

mids shouldnt be too stereo either

Hello monsieurs.

I present to you a little sketch I've come up with, let me know what you think!

instaud.io/yO3

P.S.: Postra No Costra.

>bitwig

Thank you! I bought it because I ain't paying no nuffin' for no Ableton Live 9 Suite, son.

Progression of clyp.it/sglywwff

I like it. Some cool chilli tunes.

i use bitwig as my sole DAW but the default devices suck desu. you should stop using them.

No they don't. Which devices do you mean?

all of them. the synths, FX, EQ, etc. the expensive 3rd party VSTs are much better.

I don't use the built-in EQs except for rudimentary stuff like HP or light high shelf.

Blur, Chorus, Flanger, Comb, Bit-8, etc are all dope.

Distortion sucks, I rarely use it. The Reverb can be good if you use it well, just like live's.

lrn yo shit bettur

what instrument did you use for the sphäric sound?

>Blur, Chorus, Flanger, Comb, Bit-8, etc are all dope.
why would i use these when i've spent thousands on plugins from fabfilter, soundtoys, and sonic charge

Why wouldn't you tho?????

Just because there's better, doesn't mean they're incapable.

die in a fire

its all samples desu

>729(You)
ahahahahahahhahahhaahahhahaha

Practically all the day at the moment, since I don't have a college, although I've been lazy again the past 2 days, mostly tweaking the mix and relistening to a piece constantly instead of expanding it, oh well. But the day before that I've been literally /prod/-ing from 10AM to at least 10PM.

It's all about the interface and ease of use really. I think I'll end up buying one. If you need a good software based 808/909 then the waves alchemy transistor revolution sounds really good...probably better than the TR-8

Nobody uses reaktor here...let's not ruin it

>muh secret spices

I do

Good, don't loose the momentum.

>not EQing in mono

Yes me too, but no one speaks about it.

I turned off the internet 1 month ago and have been doing it 18 hours a day and have learned a shit ton. More than I've learned in years preceding. I recommend everyone (no life required) does this now if they want to really get good.

I only turned it on just now to check I havent subconsciously plagiarised a royksopp song

Basically this. although It's true that you have to be kind of a friendless "neet" and have time to do it for those amounts of time "like kanye, who took 3 summers and became a millionaire after that xD".

>friends
What a faggot, a bet you kiss girls.

If only I was that kind of a faggot. :(
Hold me.

r8 this
clyp.it/xd5dz0nv

Should I change the acapella or just scrap it?

that acapella doesn't fit at all

My ears hurt from high frequencies, it looks like you tried tuning in the acapella but it is not enough, since there are tons of offkey notes. Maaaybe it could work if you fixed that and reduced the reverb + EQ a bit high frequencies.

lol ok im drunk

heres a song i made prolly 8 months ago

ya i can dissect all the mixing / arrangement isues tht could b fixed but chheck it out

i haven't heard anything that sounds like 1:10 and on

clyp.it/2jacsyjo

hiya

clyp.it/piavu1ow

friend helped sidechain

can anyone help me on making bass that sounds like these examples?, it sounds like some sort of mix of pitch bending and legato but i cant work it out
cant find many examples atm but the first ones pretty much what i want. i have massive btw.
>examples
youtube.com/watch?v=klPKTI8uzjU
soundcloud.com/vowlmusic/glass-ceiling

Portamento, the settings on some synths allow you to set portamento so that it acts only on notes that are played legato

Go crazy with portamento/slides

thank you guys

clyp.it/2qtp1xgv

I made this while messing around in FL Studio.

I don't know what else to do with it, I don't usually make music.

tfw dat lo resolution tho....

clyp.it/jfisgh3m

>clyp.it/2qtp1xgv
alright for a first song :)
Though the random out of tune notes at the start of each 5 bars is kinda weird

So I took the acapella out and made everything a bit clearer
clyp.it/amqyyulj

Hey /prod/ lads.
I did a cover version of a Cypress Hill tune for someone who was making a parody. Found a weird thing out - Insane In The Brain samples a horse neighing for the main beat.

Should i sell my roland sp 404sx and buy an octatrack?

Sell it and buy 4 midi controllers.

I already have a Push 2, I think that consists of more than 4 midi controllers haha

probably, it's not even really that great of a sampler (the 404)

You're set for beat tapping, but you need some keys as well.
This is what I'm using. Minimal but it gets the job done.

I can't even play a proper chord on that, but to each his own I guess.

>I can't even play a proper chord on that, but to each his own I guess.
Because there's not enough keys?
I admit it's not ideal. I'm probably going to get something bigger at some point.

rate my funk

clyp.it/go2ftdaz

Sounds like shuffle is set too high on the beat.

>clyp.it/xd5dz0nv
sounds out of key

god thats awful

Rate, h8, commentate.
clyp.it/h0ktbdmf
Hey, it works for me.

Start posting any time.

clyp.it/0xdq2xvg what am i missing in this

Take out the speech sample that says "James Brown" it doesn't seem to fit.
Stop cutting the bass, the bits it's chopped up into make most of it feel empty.

Actually if it was me I'd cut the bass then rebuild it using a synth, giving it a more modern sound.

i was thinking about just putting a bass guitar over what's already there after cutting a little bit, and filling in where its empty.

Sounds like a good idea man, cut the original bass out and play the bass, for sure. Maybe jazz it up, syncopate it a little with the beat etc. Nice thinking.

>Push 2
>404sx
Are you me?

>find push attractive
>but can't get into ableton
Hmmm, those smooth pads. I would lick them while I twist as many knobs as I can.

reasonfag reporting in

/prod/ what's your favorite software compressor?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taoism

rtfm you can change the pad response

i wanna start producing music, not rly sure what music yet exactly, but most likely orchestral, ambient and maybe techno.
i plan on using logic, but if there are better daws for what i want to do, then id ofc rather use them.

so my main question is how do i get started with instruments and so on. i have zero money so buying stuff isnt possible yet. so if anyone knows some good free vst's or has cracked versions of software instruments, help would be greatly appreciated :9

Look at Kontakt VST for the instruments.

thx man, looks rly nice

is logic used for idm or what

Its joke, use whatever you want.

I wonder if there are any females that use Reason, hmm...

this sexy thang

clyp.it/05yfmj3y

Its my first time uploading anything online, tell me what y'all think.

All the instruments sound like they're playing in a different key.

It was an old song that i found and i'd forgtten what key I was even in

So I have all the songs for my album ready but I want some songs to fade together, is there a way I can do this in ableton without losing any quality?

Just stick the exports of thw two songs into audacity, highlight the end of one and select "fade out" the start of the other and select "fade in" from effects and you're good.

So this thing, right? I got it from my brother a year ago when he needed one with more inputs. But I use VSTs and it's basically a glorified volume knob for my headphones. It also moves the headphone jack out from the front of my laptop, which is super inconvenient, plus it sorts out the MIDI latency though I could've just used ASIO4ALL or smth.

But really, is it supposed to sound better or just process sound better? I'm sure it'll be essential if I ever start recording, but for VSTs I'm really not seeing a difference.

tfw u sequence

>clyp.it/nvuzkrby
ayy dis pretty good. maybe turn up the background synth

blop clyp.it/oyic3syf

Gimme all your shit /prod/

insult me thx

But then I'll have to export it as one long track rather than 2 tracks?

So cut that track in half where the fade occurs idiot.

ok so I want to have a plucked sound how do I get it easier ?

usually I just put on auto filter and automate the cut quickly but it can gat messy and tricky when the patterns get more complex, also to it doesn't open up quite well.

maybe some sort of plug in that activates when there midi hits like lfo tool but for notes?

u feel me f am

quit and never try again

the underlying arp melody is obnoxious, repetitive, and amateur

and I won't even bother mentioning the mixing

what kind of music do you listen to?

a pluck sound is the easiest thing to do in a softsynth. Sustain = 0, decay = depends on preference but usually on the lower end

What exactly is the problem you are having I don't understand

when im not working with a vst like just audio or simpler or whatever

Do you ever plan to buy a pair of monitors?

>clyp.it/oyic3syf
Are you tone deaf senpai

what kind of question is that? A producer listens to everything objectively and garners inspiration by discovering good music. Your track lacks inspiration and talent. I sound like a total dick but I'm truly not trying to be one, I'm just not filtering my thoughts on your track. It's not good

one word: gates