I swear we cried a lot less when he died. We're STILL crying about Bowie...

I swear we cried a lot less when he died. We're STILL crying about Bowie. Is it cuz he was rock and since most of us are whites we don't really relate to rnb/soul/funk as much?

What about Michael Jackson? He was disco and synthpop for a while, everyone liked that.

Other urls found in this thread:

billboard.com/articles/news/6843061/david-bowie-influence-genres-rock-star
youtube.com/watch?v=iMZvZPWdBpg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Don't assume so much.

It's because Prince is fucking garbage, while Bowie still had some decent albums

it's funk, how many people do you know who actually like funk? compared with pop/rock or whatever genre bowie was copying that week

>1. Bowie was more well-regarded here than Prince
>2. Bowie was a larger popular icon than Prince
>3. Bowie seemed like a based bloke whereas Prince seemed like a bit of a dick at times.

Bowie released some truly aesthetic records.

Prince was a midget who wrote sex music for niggers.

Yeah, I was much more beat up about Prince's death than Bowie's.

I lud da funk.

who cares about either one of them, they both peaked decades before they died

cry about real wasted talent like people who die before they are old as fuck

wew
e
w

It's because Bowie released a top 5 (at the very least top 10) album of his career right before he died and Prince didn't release anything worth listening to for decades.

Yes, this is the reason right here. Prince died suddenly while he was out of the spotlight, Bowie on the other hand, ever the showman, made his own death into an act of theater.

>SEEMED like a bit of a dick

sure, if you're looking from a country that doesn't know much about prince

>makes an entire album, just as eclectic as any other, mocking his own death and history as a "black star" with star motifs and shit
>videos are among the craziest, even for bowie
>final song features instrumentation from his most underrated songs
>keeps working after that just in case he makes it

He was truly based until the very end.

Most of Cred Forums is too young to have experienced Prince at his peak and his Prince didn't do much to connect to the younger modern audience.

Even Bowie's Funk/Soul era is probably his least discussed here.

It's cuz he kept his music off the internet so most millennials have never heard a Prince song.

Bowie = Prince >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Jackson

The fuck? Station to Station and Young Americans are some of his most discussed albums here, his glam rock era is surprisingly less mentioned

>Is it cuz he was rock and since most of us are whites we don't really relate to rnb/soul/funk as much?
I think it's probably this. My favorite thing Price ever did was that badass performance at the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame gig for George Harrison

I'm from Minneapolis so people--whities included-- are literally still grieving.

This

Other anons in the thread have stated it, but he didn't make his music easily available so being rather young (20) the O my damn song I knew was Purple Rain, and I never did like that song
Also yeah, Bowie made multiple records that were highly influential and regarded as some of the best of all time. Prince made catchy records too, and he was influential, but not in the same way Bowie was.
Also Bowie's death came right after Blackstar which was shocking but then it explained what the album was about. Prince just died without anything big about it (still shocking though)

>invited to perform a song in respectful tribute to the posthumous inductee
>make the event all about you with a three-minute widdly-widdly-woo guitar bullshit

What a dick

Prince was more influential though

>Prince was more influential though

Prince has some great albums but not nearly as many as Bowie.

nobody outside of the USA ever gave a shit about prince whereas bowie captured the hearts of eurofags, amerifats and australian shitposters alike

billboard.com/articles/news/6843061/david-bowie-influence-genres-rock-star

There are a lot of Europeans on this board, and Europeans don't get Prince the way us 'murricans do.

As an American, I never really listened to Bowie before he died. I was unaware that some people regarded him as an important icon (as opposed to an eccentric old irrelevant glam-rocker).

I've since gained an appreciation for one or two Bowie albums, but in my personal facebook newsfeed, for instance, the reaction to Prince's death was much stronger than the reaction to Bowie's.

Fuck him, Party like it's 1999 is an obvious rip of Sussudio.

too obvious

desu it's simply hard to find his music online

>www.billboard.com

It's the message that matters, not the messenger.

1999 came out three years before. Phil Collins ripped it off.

apparently not:

>what is an unreliable source

unbelievable

Well, it's more of a tribute article, not really a scientific study. Pull the stick out your ass.

>Well, it's more of a tribute article, not really a scientific study
Not a citation.

Nice try though.

Not that guy but it doesn't need an article to prove that Bowie was more influential than Prince.

>Bowie was more influential than Prince
*to a few people

/discussion

Yeah, and Prince has influenced hundreds, didn't he?

All of modern r&b and soul?

Yep.
*for white people

So whats the best prince album? Dont think Ive ever heard any properly.

I feel like both had very overlooked releases the past few decades
Bowie had Heathen and The Next Day
Prince had Musicology and LotusFlower

Sign O The Times

The difference is that Bowie made his legacy flourish towards the end, whereas Prince locked it all away and turned hostile to any prying eyes.

Who know's what crazy/good shit is hidden in Prince's vault.

I'm gonna be super creative and say Purple Rain
These are great too, also Parade

On average Prince released nearly one album per year since the 80s, regardless if it was going to be popular or not.
>The difference is that Bowie made his legacy flourish towards the end, whereas Prince locked it all away and turned hostile to any prying eyes.
This. Apparently Prince has enough finished material in his vault to release an album per year for the next 50 years. Did Bowie do that?

Bowie was a big part of my teenage years. I identified a lot with him as a closeted bi kid. Prince made sex music. I'm still a virgin, I never related with him.

Musicology was gooooood
Are you still in the closet or open about it?

I'm not hiding it, but I don't feel like I need to disclose it to everyone because it doesn't matter.

>Is it cuz he was rock and since most of us are whites we don't really relate to rnb/soul/funk as much?
Yes, amongst other things. At least here in the UK, Bowie was way more popular. And, yeah, most people here are more interested in rock and Bowie's type of pop than funk, soul etc.

Don't discount the fact that Prince had basically been actively keeping his music away from younger audiences whereas Bowie always adapted to modern trends.

When you look at the way people have been talking about him, it really seems Bowie meant more to people in terms of identity than music. Any white person who considers themselves slightly weird or hip loves Bowie. I don't know if they can relate to Prince as well.

If we want to talk about race, honestly I don't think the public conscious has room for too many black genres at once. Generic R&B and hip hop has been the thing since the 90s, there's no room for old school funk or soul any more with only a few exceptions.

>What about Michael Jackson?
His death was more of an event than Bowie or Prince. Maybe you weren't paying as much attention back then

That's exactly how you should think. Fuck identity politics.

>I'm still a virgin
As long as you aren't ugly you could probably pick up a guy at a gay bar very easily. Although if you do that use as much protection as possible to make sure you don't get any nasty STDs.

Could also pay a hooker but like you said, use protection.

I mean Prince was cool and all but you can't argue with the fact that Bowie was way more talented and put out a better catalog than Prince and M. Jackson combined

>Prince made sex music
Also a good point. I like Prince, but he's for the ladies. Bowie was a sex icon too but there was more there for the average guy into "alternative" music.

The real problem is Prince made it a bitch for young people to get into his music. Prince tried his hardest to keep all of his music off of the internet whereas Bowie fully embraced the internet. If Prince hadn't crusaded against the internet he would be more widely loved on here.

>spoke out against appropriation of Black music/culture
>wouldn't let his music be pirated on the internet
>sang about sex
Gee I wonder why Cred Forums doesn't give a shit about Prince?

Bowie was like a chameleon, Prince had a very fixed image and set of sounds that he stuck with, which is why I think he kinda went away after a while. Every generation got a version of Bowie.

Also . The internet thing is very big, and unlike MJ, Prince always remained very black, and probably seemed kinda off limits to a lot of white guys. His audience was pretty much black people and white girls who found him exotic.

Bowie having a better catalog I can agree with, but I think Prince was infinitely more talented instrumentally. I dunno, at a certain point comparisons are kinda dumb, because their androgynous, alternative image is about where their similarities end. But I will say MJ was the best pure pop star of the three. I don't think he can be topped in terms of ubiquity, ever.

>Implying Bowie is listened to only by whites and Prince only by blacks
Kek, piss off pleb

I'm a huge Bowie fan.

But if you ask me, Prince was a better songwriter, performer, and musician. Prince has released some amazing music. I just think it gets overlooked or unfairly deemed as novelty. And to everyone saying he was just funk, have you heard his music outside of Dirty Mind/controversy/1999? I mean Purple Rain isnt funk, thats a rock album, Parade is like experimental pop jazz with a touch of funk, Sign O The Times is all over the place. He's a very underrated icon. And not to mention he is quite possibly the greatest guitar player of all time

Outside of middle-aged black women, no one really felt bad about the losing the human, just the musician.

Prince was kind of an asshole.

jazz, funk, soul whatever. to a lot of people (especially the pop audience) it's just sexy black music, that's why it's seen as a novelty

Wouldn't hip hop be considered a novelty too then?

But like i said Prince didnt just stick to those genres. He moved from genres just like Bowie did

Where do you get that? I was very upset about losing Prince Rogers Nelson. He was a humanitarian and a great, albeit, strange person. He had strong values and stuck with them and helped a lot of people along the way. A lot more than you can say about most other musicians in history

>very fixed image and set of sounds that he stuck with

have you ever listened to Prince?

I watched Purple Rain, pretty fucked up what he did to Apollonia.

I knew I'd get this reply, which is why I said "set" of sounds. The genres he covered were always loosely related, even insofar as just being seen as "black" genres by the general public. It wasn't like Bowie switching to industrial.

As for image, he definitely had his own eccentric thing that he stuck to the whole time. There's no relic of him dressing like 90s and early 00s stars like there is with Bowie.

>And not to mention he is quite possibly the greatest guitar player of all time
This.

>b-but Prince just made pop/r&B!!!
youtube.com/watch?v=iMZvZPWdBpg

it kind of is, to a lot of people. I do think hip hop is different because it's the trendy thing now so it gets respect. everything else is old black music, especially for younger generations. but apparently they can appreciate the nuances of white music a lot more easily.

>But like i said Prince didnt just stick to those genres. He moved from genres just like Bowie did
what else did he do? rock/pop and 'black' music is it. even his rock was more in the hendrix tradition

Prince was only a relevant artist with charting hits and radio play in one decade while Bowie managed a good two decades. The simple fact is that the rise of hip-hop made Prince completely obsolete and he never recovered from it.

bowie just hopped on whatever was the flavor of the month

but stuff like that isn't in the public conscious. it's from an unreleased album, and a lot of his more out there music is from side projects and albums that didn't get much promotion. bowie's diversity was much more public

Yeah, I completely agree. But that's how he stayed relevant and more (younger) people cared when he died, which is what we're talking about

Appeal to popularity

>charting hits and radio play in one decade
prince had regular hits from 1979 to the mid 90s

Even if you go on dadrock central websites like Steve Hoffman Forums, the guys there rarely if ever discuss James Brown, EW&F, War, or Marvin Gaye.

we're talking about popularity my man. OP asked why people cried less when prince died.

>more in the hendrix tradition
he's black and plays the guitar, must be like hendrix!!

How does I wanna be your lover, computer blue, electric chair, or I could never take the place of your man sound like Hendrix?

Dirty Mind [Warner Bros., 1980]

After going gold in 1979 as an utterly uncrossedover falsetto love man, he takes care of the songwriting, transmutes the persona, revs up the guitar, muscles into the vocals, leans down hard on a rock-steady, funk-tinged four-four, and conceptualizes--about sex, mostly. Thus he becomes the first commercially viable artist in a decade to claim the visionary high ground of Lennon and Dylan and Hendrix (and Jim Morrison), whose rebel turf has been ceded to such marginal heroes-by-fiat as Patti Smith and John Rotten-Lydon. Brashly lubricious where the typical love man plays the lead in "He's So Shy," he specializes here in full-fledged fuckbook fantasies--the kid sleeps with his sister and digs it, sleeps with his girlfriend's boyfriend and doesn't, stops a wedding by gamahuching the bride on her way to church. Mick Jagger should fold up his penis and go home. A

>I swear we cried a lot less when he died.
You weren't here.
Prince is a mother fucking legend and produced so many 10/10 records it's insane.

I'm more pissed people cared about MJ dying more.

Damn never heard this. Now i wanna get my hands on this group of songs. Also really need to get the gold experience and love symbol

only one of those is a rock song

He's right. Dirty Mind is a fucking amazing album.

pop, rock, soul, funk, r&b, neo-psychedelia, jazz, new jack swing, hip-hop

>sleeps with his girlfriend's boyfriend and doesn't
where do the lyrics in dirty mind say this? I'm curious

follow the conversation. all but two of those fall under the umbrella of black music, and I'm making the case that the white audience just sees them all as the same.

Prince was an almost obsessive worker, he spent almost all his free time in the studio while Michael Jackson could go years between albums.

w-what?

Maybe i wanna be your lover isnt, but in that case lets just sub it out for why you wanna treat me so bad

IDK. I guess you'd have to listen to the whole album to...oh wait, I can't unless I want to use virus-filled Russian websites.

I guess it's how Christgau interpreted it.

>I never cared (didn't care)
>I never was the kind to make a fuss
>When he was there
>Sleeping in between the two of us

>Prince was more influential though
>Prince
>More influential
w e w
e
w

bowie was a great artist, but he didn't innovate much

that aint her brother though lol thats one of prince's friends that she is fucking.

Nigga i own 11 of prince's CDs, including Dirty Mind. I just didnt ever pick up on that idea. go buy his shit like he wanted people to, like all musicians want

not the same thing

I don't know what Cred Forums is smoking, but Bowie doesn't hold a candle to Prince.

He's dead though, I don't think he's gonna see any more money from me buying his shit.

It was never about fucking his brother, it was about fucking his girlfriend's boyfriend. The lyrics imply either a threesome or just an awkward comedic image of being a loser (that might sound weird but Purple Rain's humor's kind of like that, too)

Prince released some of his best work in the last 15 years of his life. He just completely ditched mainstream music (particularly standard distribution) well before the infrastructure of things like iTunes and bandcamp was there to pick up the slack.

don't act stupid

>Sleeping in between the two of us
This seems more metaphorical than literal. It means he doesn't want to cause trouble or heartache while being part of a love triangle by speaking up.

In other words, he's cucking the guy. Christgau was never one for metaphors, a bit of a dunce desu.

yeah, this is how i always took the line

I'm still crying over both, but I'm from Minneapolis and my first concert was Prince when I was 17 with this girl, so that might be it

kek

Europeans are an asexual people, of course they're not going to understand prince.

I'm not responding to OP's question, but user's assertion of influence.

please read the thread before replying

It's the album The Undertaker. It's literally just 40 minutes of Prince shredding, recorded live in his studio in one take. He didn't give a fk about it and I think gave away copies of the album free in some magazine.

great, thing is you influence more people with your popular albums than your unreleased bootlegs

If that's true, no one would know what SMiLE was

there also wasn't a single mention of the word influence in this particular comment thread btw

Wrong.

no, I'm afraid that doesn't logically follow from what I said

see for yourself

I can name 20 classic Bowie tracks off the top of my head.

I can only name 2 classic Prince tracks off the top of my head.

>no, I'm afraid that doesn't logically follow from what I said
Well you said
>thing is you influence more people with your popular albums than your unreleased bootlegs
Which is untrue as SMiLE is one of the most influential things of that decade.

>see for yourself
Not the correct chain. Sorry

Not really. Prince had a huge influence on R&B and pop but Bowie had an influence on practically every rock subgenre of the last forty years.

>Which is untrue as SMiLE is one of the most influential things of that decade.
nope, that doesn't follow logically. I said more popular things influence more, not that unpopular things don't influence at all.

>Not the correct chain. Sorry
it is, and you won't be able to show me otherwise

wow. Artist gets dismissed cause they're short

>not that unpopular things don't influence at all.
Nice backpedaling.
>it is, and you won't be able to show me otherwise
See And so forth

That's definitely the real reason right there

lol this is /mu bastard. Far from real llife

none of those comments connect to our thread

I didn't backpedal, unless you want to quote something I said that contradicts that

>none of those comments connect to our thread
They are literally in this thread. Are you retarded?
>I didn't backpedal
Changing the words "unreleased recordings" to "unpopular recordings" isn't backpedaling?

amazing that 5'3 Prince could cuck a guy

in the thread, not in the chain of comments, moron. there's more than one person on Cred Forums, you can't just make a comment and expect it to act as a reply to some other comment

>Changing the words "unreleased recordings" to "unpopular recordings" isn't backpedaling?
poor wording, but either way the point stands about your comment not following logically.

>not in the chain of comments
It is in the chain of comments I was referencing. I just linked you to them
>you can't just make a comment and expect it to act as a reply to some other comment
So you are saying you made the assumption of which comment chain I was referencing, without asking?

>but either way the point stands about your comment not following logically.
How so? I gave you an example of one of the most influential recordings of a decade, which virtually no one heard.