What is THE GREATEST punk band of all time?

What is THE GREATEST punk band of all time?
>pic not related

Dead Kennedys

Husker Du

ramones

The Clash

There one band that you never heard of but was responsible for teaching Bob Mould to playing and unleashing on to the world such bands like The Replacements and Soul Asylum.

It's gotta be Minor Threat, Cardiacs, or Hüsker Dü.

are ay em oh en ee es

DK

Is this even a real debate?

pic related

Minor Threat or Black Flag

Why not the Ramones? They were great.

I'd pick either The Stooges or The Sonics.

FOREIGN POLICY!!!!!!!!!!!

My votes for Black Flag. I exclusively listened to punk for four years, and it's the band that I always think of first. Yeah their discographys spotty, but their good albums can't be beat

At least that's how it was for the first four years

The only correct answer

GG Allin

>I exclusively listened to punk for four years
dosent make your opinion more valid
read this

This

right here

dead kennedys

Unwound
>Wait
>Wait
>Wait
>Please don't gooooooo

Antiflag !!!

I'm partial to the kids

The Minutemen

/thread

Minor Threat for me.

Andrew Jackson Jihad or D.I.

Pierce the veil

It's a tough call, but Bad Brains wins out in the end.

Very very very close runners up are Discharge, Minor Threat, and (Damaged era) Black Flag.

Those are obviously all super entry level bands, but for a very good reason. They represent the genre at its best.

Blink-182.

Violent Femmes

The Clash

based

Who is this?

fugazi

>Fugazi
>Punk

You are wrong

uhhhh you can be post-hardcore and punk

Ramones or Sex Pistols, everything after was overly serious self important garbage

I never said it did

Crass? Cant believe nobody has posted the actual answer

This is why even hip hop is taken more seriously than punk lmao

>JUST

Awful opinion

good bait user

The Damned

Cred Forums taste in music is garbage and probably doesn't deserve this but what the heck

Simple Plan

Punk is probably the worst genre.

hey fuck you buddy

Okay.

Punk is still dogshit.

Crass were nothing more than a bunch of whiney middle class hypocrites who took themselves too seriously. Even Steve Ignorant had some misgivings about being involved and this is the man who threatened to shoot out the lead singer of Special Duties' knees w/a shot gun if they ever talked shit about Crass ever again. Bullshit Crass indeed!

Forgot to post pic.

The Sex Pistols

Their influence alone and what they did to shake up the industry makes them the greatest of all time. And Never Mind The Bollocks is a great album.

Go ahead. Bring the hate.

why tho? 3 valid reasons, love

>it's a Cred Forums hating on Ramones episode
they're one of the best ever just deal with it
i know you guys want to feel special and prefer more obscure bands but it just makes you look like plebs

Chumbawamba were the truest punx to ever punk. Even when they sold out, they didn't lose their way.

The Sex Pistols were a pre fab product of Malcolm McClaren put together with his partner Vivian Westwood just to sell cheap junky clothing. Fuck even The Bay City Rollers were more of a menace to society at large than The Sex Pistols could ever hope to be.

As far as their music is concerned they were a much better 2nd rate Who rip off than The Clash could ever hope to be. Never Mind the Bollocks is enjoyable album but I think Mr. Lydon wanted The Sex Pistols to sound like PIL's first album.

I really hope this wasn't meant to portray Lucas as anything more than cringey. Sure, the others aren't great, but he just came in and started a random argument, then named a bunch of bands he clearly just saw posted here and acted like he was a musical genius because of it.

It's sad that a 13 year old just comes across as the average poster here though.

Introducing some interesting kids to each other isn't manufacturing a band in any sense of the word. Buying into The Great Rock and Roll Swindle myth is objectively proving you're retarded.

Crass

If you count them as punk, then it's these guys

Is there an actual source to Steve Ignorant saying that? I love Special Duties and am really interested in this

>punk
>music

Pick one.

The only objective answer

Your pic related

i dont think so, special duties hated crass because they were all "77 in 82" and crass was all "punk is dead" so there were conflicting ideas at the time.

discharge, amebix or anti cimex i think are the greatest punk bands of all time.
GISM is my personal favourite though

Well that lucas guy was not wrong tho... And punk in the 90's was still relevant? Seriously what is this love for the 90's? I remeber only shit music from that decade... every artist that came before the 90's has done some bad shit in that decade

>Ramones

also pic related

1. Ramones
2. Richard Hell & the Voidoids
3. the Patti Smith Group
4. the Stooges
5. Sonic Youth
6. New York Dolls
7. Sex Pistols
8. the Clash
9. DNA
10. Flipper

He's not wrong, but that's only because he's stating pretty irrelevant shit that no-one was denying, and then acting all condescending and like he was smarter because they kept telling him to fuck off and stop trying to start stupid arguments.

Like, read this shit
>b: I am a musician, an avid listener of music and have explored the histories of many genres

He's fucking 13, and every band he lists is entry level Cred Forums-core.

Some retarded 13 year old acting pretentious isn't exactly worthy of a screencap.

The 90's is idolised because it's close enough that the big bands from it are still really well known, but long enough ago that people can act like they're super into music for knowing them. There was good and bad music from the time, same as any era of music.

>ctrl + F "Misfits"
>0 results

Misifts were pretty mediocre tbqh

Any of these

Walk Among Us is overrated but Static Age is objectively one of the top 3 punk albums of all time. They perfected the Ramones formula musically and had the most talented punk vocalist ever.

i gotchu

The Stooges are basically punk but calling the Sonics punk is a huge stretch. They're garage rock.

The Damned are dogshit

Punk was an artistic movement with a pretty definitive start point in the mid to late 70s, you can't just hamfistedly apply the punk label to every 60s garage band you deem sufficiently meat and potatoes musically to qualify for it. Not sure why this board has such trouble with that concept.

SMALL PARTS ISOLATED AND DESTROYED

Wrong pic. Olsteen still heretic though

Why?

They are not that bad... Why you think that?

Legitimately the best form of rock. If I want complex intellectual music I'll listen to Wagner or Vivaldi, not rock

Because they were just a wild rock and roll band, that's all anyone thought they were. The only real bands you could call "punk" from the 60s are the Velvets and the Stooges, for how dirty and counter-countercultural they were. If the Sonics are punk you might as well say that the Rolling Stones were punk too.

The two 90s albums without Danzig are underrated.

Because they're incredibly generic and boring, and their lyrics are awful. They're just not a very good band, only a few of the UK punk bands were.

Underated is an understatement, 90sfits were fucking fantastic and get completely shat on by TRU PUNX and critics for literally no reason.

Green Day and Fall Out Boy are the greatest punk bands ever

no one will agree and while i only think they're one of the best, Orchid are the greatest emotional hardcore band and flawless

underrated when it comes to ranking punk bands imo

skarmz aint punk nigga

fuck off back to redit if you want to be a retarded faggot.

Except not everybody acknowledges that specific starting point as it's inconsistent with what punk sounds like as a style and therefore musical genre.
Punk Rock's starting point could be as early as 1964.

This

not gonna argue, but listen to their self titled and the lyrics and themes are definitively punk

Except punk was also a visual arts, fashion, and lifestyle movement and is not just "fast simple music". And yes, pretty much everybody accepts that punk started with the Ramones in 1975-6 with the movement really taking off within the next year.

Punk Scene =/= Punk Music Genre
Pretty much everybody who can't think for themselves accepts that year as the starting point. It only marked it's commercial and cultural break point, but it wasn't the starting date of the genre by any means.
If there is Punk Rock sounding music before the supposed starting date, it means that the starting date is wrong.

this

also ramones shows were literally the most fun thing ever. they played so much songs.

>you're just a sheep maaaan
yeah, whatever

I said most, not everybody. Nice argument anyways.

Personally I have to agree with this band. No band has had more impact while simultaneously always sticking to the underground. Also, best band logo of all time. So simple, but so effective

not exclusively punk but their punk albums are truly great

>Circlejerks hasnt been mentioned

what the fuck guys

green day