What is Cred Forums's opinion on Slipknot?

What is Cred Forums's opinion on Slipknot?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Avdm3UAbsEk
youtube.com/watch?v=qXOxVd_dZrE
youtube.com/watch?v=dwDed5zAjE8
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

t b h i've never given them a chance and never plan to

i made a death threat to my dad so he grounded me

edgy teeen nu trash garbage meme shit

1. nostalgia from when i was a kid near the tail end of nu metals popularity
2. Coery taylor is an underrate vocal talent
3. complete plebe garbage

I was into them when I was 15-16. I'm 27 now and only listen to girly jpop, but Duality, Wait and Bleed, and Before I Forget are still good songs. Fight me.

I know they get a lot of hate but when that album came out, metal was on life support. If it wasn't for them, a lot of bands would not be around right now.

if only they continued in this direction

They are burger Mars Volta

I like (sic) and Surfacing, as well as a few other tracks. They are the best part of a shitty movement. 5-6/10 I guess

I think they get a lot more hate than they should have, primarily getting attached with the whole nu-metal movement (which itself gets way to much hate, but that's another discussion). They've made quality music, and still do to some extent, but are forever bogged down with the very labeling the band itself never agreed with and/or hates.

user said it pretty well It's just the blight of metal itself. A lot of people listen to it when they are young, and most "phase" out of it when they become older. Since it was something they held dear during their childhood, they inherently hate it when they get older, because most people view their childhood as "cringey" and what not. They don't actually view the music objectively or not, but rather as an extention of their cringey childhood, thus hating it.

As a whole, whether you actually like the band or not, they were pretty damn essential in the world of metal. Some could argue without them, metal would have collapsed.

old school Death Grips, i like it

Edgy scencore shit that's better than most scene bands

Still shit tho

What do you think, which of their albums was the best?

They were talented , being an example. The recording process of their self titled album is kinda interesting; even on their whole pleb trip, they had some vision and somehow achieved their goals.

Other than that, it's the typical edgy/extreme band that tries to mix different genres/cultures/fashion for angsty white teens. Classic death grips.

I think it's natural to move on from certain scene music, especially from bands like Slipknot who have their audience well identified and would rarely do something that anyone outside of it would enjoy. However, I find it funny how some of my friends got way into Cred Forumscore shit and deny ever listening to slipknot or any numetal bands, when they had shirts and pins from those bands when they were young.

Slipknot vs Disturbed vs System of a Down

who wins?

NOIDED WINS!

I'm betting on the band with the 9 guys. System first one to go:

>armenians, got btfo by turks, of all things
>pacifist bullshit

If we are judging objectively? Most likely self-titled, for a number of reasons. Objectively, the album was actually fantastic, both as metal-music and as a time-piece. But it is more than that. It was important for when it was released. Metal was dead. Nothing new was coming out. It lost it's life. This album brought it back. It introduced a new age of metal, one that was gritty, no-holds-barred, and just angry. At the very least, it introduced to common listener to this side of metal, and made it seem attractive and interesting.

If we are asking personally, I enjoyed All Hope is Gone, a lot.

I like.

System of a Down wins 100 times out of 10

I thought Korn was responsible for that. Even tho I agree with their self titled being their best. My favorite is Vol. 3, they sound like a mature band there.

Probably my favourite band when I was around 14.

DJ Starscream (Sid) is a fairly decent Jungle DJ.
youtube.com/watch?v=Avdm3UAbsEk
youtube.com/watch?v=qXOxVd_dZrE
How the fuck a guy from Iowa of all places managed to listen to Jungle at all is a mystery but whatever.

>early 2000's
>metal was dead
>nothing new was coming out
shitpost 101

The fem fans are kinda cute from time to time

While I agree that it is natural to move on, the judgement that they spew when they leave is, however, not. As you grow older, or just in general develop, your appreciation for music begins to broaden, and you leave "phases". You no longer solely identify yourself with one range of music, but that of many. The judgement for the old music you consequently left behind, or just don't listen to as much, is unwarranted however. Most of it becomes hatred, for whatever reason, that eventually self-perpetuates.

It's like the hate for Nickelback. Objectively speaking, the band isn't breaking ground. Hell, it isn't even touching the ground in it's own genre. However, the band is no where near the "ear bleeding" that everyone likes to attribute it to. People spew hate for them for whatever unknown/known reason, but always sing along and smile when they come on the radio. What used to be legitimate concerns for not considering Nickelback's music to be GOAT, was eventually snowballed into some memetastic bullshit for hating them. Slipknot has undergone, and continues to undergo, that same treatment.

>bands like Slipknot who have their audience well identified and would rarely do something that anyone outside of it would enjoy

I highly disagree, for Slipknot. Slipknot has certainly released much different music now, and in the late 2000's when compared to their music in the late 90's and early 2000's. Comparing .5 The Grey Chapter with Slipknot, or even Iowa, is vastly different, at least from my opinion.

Much like you said about your friends denying listening to Slipknot, I would argue that these bands experience death far too young because of fans, not because of the lack of musicianship or objective sound. Fans, especially metal fans, are so quick to judge and despise bands that have changed direction in sound, whether marginally or exponentially. This hatred is fueled even further when said fan decides to change the style of music he/she prefers.

Iowa is an unironically good album

MOM'S

>placing soad in a contest between slipknot and disturbed

>As you grow older, or just in general develop, your appreciation for music begins to broaden, and you leave "phases". You no longer solely identify yourself with one range of music, but that of many
Unless you're the old retards on Steve Hoffman Forums who listen to Led Zeppelin II and Who's Next on repeat.

They need more Sid on studio albums

Metal that had any kind of actual following or in the public eye was sure as hell dead. Yeah I get it, some obscure Swedish band was on the rise at this time, or the latest and greatest Dream Theatre or Gorguts album dropped. We get it. You're the epitome of elitism and patrician attitudes.

Believe it or not, overall popularity plays a part in whether a genre of music lives or dies. Metal at the time was dead. No one listened to it. No one liked it. It was becoming old and stale, at least in public perception. Slipknot changed that, and for the better. Like we said before, if Slipknot didn't exist when it did, many bands now that enjoy popularity both in and out of the public eye, would not exist.

So call it shitposting all you want.

>I thought Korn was responsible for that

I'm not saying it was all Slipknot, only Slipknot, gg no re. Just that they had a clear impact on a dead scene. I personally don't like Korn very much, but I can't deny the band didn't have an impact. Do I think it was anywhere near the impact Slipknot had? Personally no, but I'm sure that is up for debate.

Interestingly, Vol. 3 just went over my head. Maybe it was the sound, or the time it came out and what I was listening to then, but I missed the album entirely.

The old fags are a breed of their own. Obviously there is going to be specific examples or singularities, but I would say most people broaden their range of music, at least to a small extent. Even if that means listening to only rock, but now some country or hip-hop too.

Seriously fuck Zeppelin.

>Metal at the time was dead. No one listened to it. No one liked it.
why the fuck would i care about this as long as there are some fucking flawless albums coming out of the genre

from 98 to 2001, at least 10 bands came out with groundbreaking stuff for the time
sure it wasn't that popular amongst the pop culture, but then again, why the fuck would anyone care about that?
music isn't about image and popularity you fuck

Pantera had been the only mainstream metal band for a while and they were done by the time Slipknot happened.

I mean it's not really fair to give Slipknot all that credit when bands like Linkin Park, Disturbed, SoaD, Marilyn Manson, Rob Zombie, Tool, Deftones, Evanescence, Drowning Pool, and all sorts of others

Blame Metallica for that attitude amongst metalheads desu.

My mom never got the whole cult of the Beach Boys and she said they were ok when she was 11, but it's lame to be a grown adult and still be listening to bubblegum songs about girls and surfing.

>why the fuck would anyone care about that?
Not that guy, but I'm sure many people that got into metal started with the popular ones. The internet was different during that era, I remember having a hard time finding an Iron Monkey album.

Why Metallica?

>but always sing along and smile when they come on the radio

Not when Photograph comes on I don't. That song is physically painful to listen to.

I agree. One does miss the 80s when metal was mainstream and songs had hooks.

I remember being 12 too

Mate. Feed. Kill. Repeat. is great. Slipknot and Iowa pretty ok, the rest is trash.
Still kinda enjoyable from time to time, a bit ironically

I mean they're fun when they don't take themselves seriously (songs like (sic), Eyeless or People = Shit are legit great imo), but when they started trying to be edgy 2deep4u Alternative Metal with Vol. 3 is when they really turned to shit

But yeah, sometimes i enjoy listening some Slipknot, can't say it's nostalgia cause i never seriously got into them but they can be fun

Honestly i'd rather listen to Slipknot than Limp Bizkit or System of a Down

They're not as bad as people make them out to be, but I don't think they're amazing either.

>music isn't about image and popularity you fuck

I agree that some of the best music that has ever been made was never popular or about image, and that yes I agree that music itself shouldn't be about image and popularity, you would have to be a fucking ignorant retarded to say that popularity, album sales, widespread acceptance, etc., is not important to a genre's health. You think a lot of the bands that make music, would continue making it if the money didn't roll in? You think these albums would get the funding they desperately need from labels, if those labels didn't have other popular acts to subset the budget, or think that the artist they are going to fund wouldn't make them money?

Seriously fuck off with that shit. Popularity is an important aspect in the music industry, and the popularity of a few select bands, can help fuel the monetary aspects of many other smaller bands.

So I fucking reiterate. If metal continued on the track it did, without the help from bands like Slipknot getting it more into the public eye, WHICH MEANS MORE FUCKING MONEY THROWN AT IT, these groud-breaking metal acts you desperately love wouldn't fucking exist. Give credit where credit is due you patrician faggot. We all get it, you browse the Cred Forums catalog.

I'm not giving Slipknot all the attention. Maybe I was too forward when I would describe their importance. They sure as hell weren't the only band. There was bands like Deftones, Disturbed, etc. What I meant to do was point out the importance of Slipknot itself, considering the whole thread is about them.

Bands like Evanescence, Drowning Pool, etc., were important, but I think their success and subsequent desire to push forward were fueled by a small list of bands, Slipknot, Disturbed, MM, Deftones included.

>That song is physically painful to listen to.

Really? Is it really? Or are you just saying that? You can dislike a song. To say a song is physically painful to listen to, especially a song that is so middle of the road, so pc in its attitude, so normal, is a little hard to swallow my friend.

Their S/T is REALLY fucking well recorded and Scissors is one of the most evil tracks I've heard, out of anything.

Their first album with Colsefni is better tho. is actually great funk metal
youtube.com/watch?v=dwDed5zAjE8

Yeah, if I cared about what others thought they'd be my guilty pleasure.

This need for widespread acceptance was especially important in the years Slipknot began. The internet wasn't what it is now. The most poorly funded band now could make popular music given the ability to spread music with the internet (arguable, still). Back then? You better bet your fucking ass a label picked you up, or that your label was a popular one, otherwise that meant no attention from the populace, and that meant no money for instruments, producing, etc. Bands like Slipknot got the attention back into metal and the funding it desperately needed to keep its head above water.

>nostalgia from when i was a kid near the tail end of nu metals popularity
>Coery taylor is an underrate vocal talent
/thread

this