God Tier Alternative

Recently been trying to refuel my interest for the better alternative acts from the 90s and early 2000s.

All recs, links, underground shit, charts, all appreciated.

>pic related

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=1VY60HLlu24
youtube.com/watch?v=n3fJDItn5GU
youtube.com/watch?v=3hYS1iMA6lk
youtube.com/watch?v=7Ib4m0DiVT8
youtube.com/watch?v=RPqLo6PyVhk
youtube.com/watch?v=EKNzajj3mAo
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

pearl jam n alice in chains rest are trash

never listened to Pearl Jam because they sounded too much like creed and all the other shit alternative bands from the 00s.

Listening to Ten right now. Figured that would be a good starting point, unless theres a better album they have?

>they sounded too much like creed
Creed sounded too much like Pearl Jam *

Check this thread

The Afghan Wigs - Gentlemen
Seam - The Problem With Me

I just avoided most alternative as a whole considering the radio was filled with bands like Creed, Bush, Foo Fighters, Daughtry, etc. Kinda grouped all alternative into that category without really realizing it.

thx user. appreciate it.

pj-ten is good but if you don't like it don't worry about it
checkout deftones
jane's addiction
r.e.m.

>not liking Soundgarden
kys

ITT: embryos

Fuck off to rym thread dumb poser

I mean, REM is worth checking out
You've listed post-grunge
This, too bad Creed couldn't pull an STP and surpass PJ

New Radicals
youtube.com/watch?v=1VY60HLlu24

Toad The Wet Sprocket

Screaming Trees
youtube.com/watch?v=n3fJDItn5GU

It's Vitalogy or bust. Everything PJ did other than Ten and Vitalogy is just kinda "meh" to me.

*Unpopular opinion alert*

Creed actually came damned close to doing it with My Own Prison, which is objectively every bit as good as at least Vs. was.

Dirt is head and shoulders over Jar Of Flies.

But as for other recommendations, for 90s alt awesomeness, try anything by faith no more up to Angel Dust, give Opiate and Undertow a re-listen in the context of the early 90s, and listen the crap out of Siamese Dream and Mellon Collie.

Also, Stone Temple Pilots had the best 3-album streak of any of the 90s alt acts with the Core--->Purple--->Tiny Music progression. Way more consistent than Soundgarden's 3 classic albums.

Say Anything

>a thread where stp, pj, and aic actually aren't shat on

am I dreaming

TAD is one of the most overlooked bands of the 90s. It's worth checking out for sure.

Corrosion of Conformity!

About Opiate and Undertow:
I know that you're not supposed to take tool lyrics seriously, but I can't listen to them without thinking that they're edgy in some way. Maynard just sounds so serious.

Every Soundgarden album fits the bill, definitely essential.

All the major grunge bands are a great start and then there's other great bands like Smashing Pumpkins, Jane's Addiction, Faith No More, Stone Temple Pilots, and some of the lesser known grunge bands like the Afghan Whigs, Screaming Trees, Paw, and Truly as well. I hope that helps.

Britpop > grunge

More witty and less angsty and depressing

If you like Alice in Chains, Above by Mad season is absolutely essential

I like both desu senpai. but IMO grunge/alternative has way more replay value than britpop

Even though it's from 2000, White Pony by Deftones is also essential

Unpopular but I agree
Are they really?
Whigs are post
>more witty

That's exactlywhy they're such an essential part of the 90s, because 90s alternative was all about being edgy for the sake of being edgy.

I mean, why else would there be really good, absolutely classic songs like "Detachable Penis" or "Wynonna's Big Brown Beaver"?

Should I not care about the lyrics then?

Wynona's Big Brown Beaver isn't edgy, it's just fun an playful.

Only Living Witness was associated with the hardcore punk scene, but they remind me more of "alt metal" stuff like early Tool and Helmet.

youtube.com/watch?v=3hYS1iMA6lk

Marilyn Manson - Antichrist Superstar

God tier album. No I don't fucking care that you think it's edgy, or whine that Reznor said they had to redo Warner's vocals 100 times. Fuck you.

Albatross is my jam

stereolab
korn's first album was great
yo la tengo

nu metal in general has a lot of hidden gems unlike post grunge which i think only had Throwing Copper (only decent post grunge album)

Has anyone listened to Jerry Cantrell's solo albums? Really underrated stuff

Especially full version of this album

"One" was an absolutely killer track, by any 90s standard, and "My Own Prison" was also really good.

Also, those are some pretty sweet looking digits. Kek is with you for sure.

It's just really easy to make bad nu-metal.

underrated post

Insomniac over Dookie

Gish>Siamese Dream>MCATIS

This should be essential listening for fans of alternative rock.

This too.

Badmotor finger

Temple of dog

Screaming trees

Stardog champion

>they sounded like creed

Is this bate?

Is this a joke? How is this grunge?

Apologies, I'm blind.

Ten Inch Men.

youtube.com/watch?v=7Ib4m0DiVT8
youtube.com/watch?v=RPqLo6PyVhk
youtube.com/watch?v=EKNzajj3mAo

Who said it was grunge? This is an alternative thread.

>someone else has listened to Jerry Cantrell's solo stuff

This album is the shit. It's everything good about late90's/early00's sans the corniness.

Also, the production is top notch. And it's Norwegian.