Why did Americans ruin dubstep?

Why did Americans ruin dubstep?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=6XU6DnRMrZo
reddit.com/r/realdubstep/comments/55e4gf/official_rrealdubstep_best_of_september_2016/
soundcloud.com/tubanyc
soundcloud.com/sure-state
youtube.com/watch?v=5mOIXdC4rgA
soundcloud.com/elefant-doc/elefant-doc-alprazolam-clip
youtube.com/watch?v=BPyhFJrFkM8
youtube.com/watch?v=4tg4ZzmsEQ4
youtube.com/watch?v=P9D2RJ_5uWA
youtube.com/watch?v=PsOVED4u8aI
youtube.com/watch?v=msXPHqCnhI0
youtube.com/watch?v=Wh66kz2Ujks
youtube.com/watch?v=AIUoO4PvLPo
youtube.com/watch?v=P9cw_4zItu8
discogs.com/label/521629-System-Music-2
discogs.com/label/848010-Blacklist-2
discogs.com/label/422306-Innamind-Recordings
youtube.com/watch?v=tZthWdkSAQU
soundcloud.com/y-u-8/the-heights
soundcloud.com/abysmalentities
youtube.com/watch?v=9mERNotcqos
twitter.com/AnonBabble

du/b/step was never good

And what dubstep have you heard?

it was always shit
sounds like transformers fucking

why do you assume they ruined it? why do you think british dubstep was so much better?

this. dubstep has always been shit.

It put the nail in the coffin of an extremely meh genre anyway

no, it's good. either wave produced good tracks.

name some

>british dubstep
p much anything Burial made
>american dubstep
p much anything Skrillex made up until Bangarang

it's 2016
who cares

Burial hardly counts as dubstep

i do.

any interesting dubstep out there?
like prog-step? or djent-step?

youtube.com/watch?v=6XU6DnRMrZo

skream! - skream is still a great reminder whats great about dubstep and uk-music in general

>djent
>interesting

reddit.com/r/realdubstep/comments/55e4gf/official_rrealdubstep_best_of_september_2016/

>music is subjective
kys

You're allowed to have an opinion. An informed opinion. Ignoramus shite like "le djent le so interesting xddd" is not allowed and should be countered with a 3 day ban

>music is subjective
woa dam....

that's why he said djent-step
there's stepcore

this isnt even dubstep dude

why do people always have to bring countries into this? you either enjoy dubstep or not, this is unnecessary.

Actually Americans ruined dubstep at first, but then best of them got into real dubstep and done some awesome stuff:
soundcloud.com/tubanyc
soundcloud.com/sure-state

YEEEHAWWWW

le djent le so interesting xddd.
prove me wrong
oh wait you can't because i'm disclosing information of what exactly i mean by interesting :D

because the term came to describe an almost completely different sound once anyone outside the uk started giving a shit about it :P

>why do people always have to bring countries into this? you either enjoy dubstep or not, this is unnecessary.
Tell me how this
sounds anything like this

> this kind of mistake
At least I'm happy it's not botposting thread.

whoops lol
the second one was bangarang

It doesn't sound anything like bangarang. So you like good dubstep, but you don't like shit dubstep, duh. Yeah, that particular shit dubstep track was produced by an american? so what?

there's a vast difference in the uk and us styles of "dubstep"

name a good dubstep track made by an american

I don't listen to dubstep so i suppose you could be right. Surely there is good American dubstep? Do you know of any?

not really no
because americans didn't start making it until after skrillex

Are you fucking stupid m8?

There's even dark garage in US nowadays:
soundcloud.com/elefant-doc/elefant-doc-alprazolam-clip
And some really top level breaks/dubstep:
youtube.com/watch?v=BPyhFJrFkM8

alright, this is pretty good, but still, the scene and style has long since dried up creatively tbqh

none that you'll like if you think skrillex is shit, no. it's a completely different sound so of course

burial is 2-step

Skream is mediocre

Well, Americans were first to make dubstep stupid enough for normies and make it popular.
But normies wouldn't listen to real dubstep anyway.
I think the only real problem is that potential fans of real dubstep may stay away from it because they think it's all like skrillex.
I'm new to Cred Forums, but this seems to be so platinum topic lol.
MJ Cole is classical 2step, is Burial the same style as MJ Cole then?
youtube.com/watch?v=4tg4ZzmsEQ4

yeah i never got the hype with skream

He has some really great tracks.
youtube.com/watch?v=P9D2RJ_5uWA

>ignorant americans ITT
youtube.com/watch?v=PsOVED4u8aI

Burial isn't dubstep or whatever the fuck 2-step is, he's dub/electronic.

Burial is definitely uk garage, particularly dark 2step garage,
but his 2step beatz were quite innovative for his time (so he is also future garage),
and he also has a lot of ambient and low fi which are not typical for this style.

yes burial totally makes garridge with the skittery high tempo drums and that bass sound
youtube.com/watch?v=msXPHqCnhI0

don't think for even a second that Cred Forums knows anything about anything at all

"no"

"no"
There was nothing innovative about Burial, it was a foregone conclusion that something like it would pop up eventually, what with the obsession with sampling shitty pop records during the 2step days.

not dubstep, why would you even think such a thing?

skream shits in buckets

w0ah let me suck on ur enlightened euro cock!

Post dubstep is a thing. It's a continuation of U.K. style dubstep in America. It came in around 2011ish. James Blake, Jamie xx, ifan dafydd, Swarms, Gang Colours are a few.

no, it isn't, go die.

"""post-dubstep""" would be something like this.
youtube.com/watch?v=Wh66kz2Ujks

As always you are showing how clueless you are.

damn how could someone be clueless about dubstep....... so ignorant

I know that this post is bait, but I'll tell you why this garbage you call "post-dubstep" shouldn't be called that.

It simply does not sound like dubstep.

>not dubstep, why would you even think such a thing?
>the album that invented dubstep
>not dubstep

>ignorant americans itt

those dumb americans!!!!!!!!!!

i am american. i just think it's retarded that people here have the nerve to call dubstep shit, when it used to be good, and we're the ones responsible for making it shit. it's like murdering someone's child and then spitting on the grave.

it was a sweet subgenre of dance music back when it was subtle and refined. we just had to supersize it and flavor blast it like we do with everything and then of course it became corny.

No, listen.
First off, the tune Gorgon Sound was released as single in 2000. It is not dubstep, it does not sound like dubstep, why would you call it dubstep?
Granted it may be dub + 2-step in the literal sense, but it is not dubstep, because dubstep is more than the sum of its parts.

The album itself, In Fine Style, doesn't have a single dubstep tune on it.
If you don't believe me, listen to some early mystikz, listen to Skream back then.
This one is 2003, the very early era before dubstep really started being a thing.
youtube.com/watch?v=AIUoO4PvLPo

Granted Benny did actually put out the first dubstep record, but it's neither Gorgon Sound nor on that album.
youtube.com/watch?v=P9cw_4zItu8

And don't run around calling me ignorant, I was there when this blew up, it was right around when I first started going out.

it's syncopated edm with wobbly bass, heavy dub influence, and even samples from dub and reggae. how is it not dubstep?

it does not sound like dubstep.
dubstep is not a checklist.

that doesn't make sense to me. every classification or genre of music has a set of characteristics that defines it. that's how it becomes a genre in the first place

And "dark 2step garage" is early dubstep, so it can be seen as subgenre of dubstep, so Burial is dubstep too.
> not dubstep, why would you even think such a thing?
This particular track is dub garage, which together with dark garage was one of the earliest kinds of dubstep (nowadays there are a LOT of them, many invented in last few years, people stopped categorizing because most cannot even into classic tags so why bother).
> There was nothing innovative about Burial
Burial first release (South London Boroughs) was kinda classic dark 2step, but his later stuff has 2step beatz that no one did before. First, they are very off-grid, second, he has very authentic layering, third, he oftes uses non-standard samples such as metallic Foley-style sounds taken from films and videogames. Burial spawned whole new school of garage, there are a lot of clones with similar sound. Personally, I found most of them boring, I like more diversity and too much of this melancholic stuff makes me sleepy.

ITT: The most original fucking opinions.

Dubstep is very diverse, why should everyone sound like your 2 tracks?
In fact, probably 99% of dubstep doesn't sound like these 2.
It's diverse to the point that many tracks (even released in last month) could be considered new genre.

Dubstep, like much in UK club music isn't like that. It's not defined as a list of things it is, but rather what it isn't. And you a have a certain sound that kinda is characteristic, but not really.

Now for that Gorgon Sound tune:
While dubstep is dub + 2-Step + something else, a qualifier that this tune certainly fits, it also is "bright". Which dubstep during this early era was not. Sure, you'd get people like Joker doing that purple sound later on, but that's at least 8 years after Horgon Sound came out.

I mean not-bright in the sense that if you play it at a club you'd turn the lights all the way down, because otherwise it would kill the vibe.

It wasn't purely America that ruined dubstep, although the american audience probably did play a large part in it. I'd also put a large amount of the blame on 'UKF'.
Dubstep was just incompatible with the mainstream music industry imo. Dubstep started in, and was made for low ceiling small clubs with a good sound system where those low frequency bass tracks could really vibrate the whole room. When it started getting popular it was forced to make that move to a festival setting, which put more emphasis on the tracks with more of a mid range bass, closer to an electric guitar. Then producers start making tracks that exclusively sound good on radio and at festivals.

But there was still quite a lot of aggressive mid range sounding tracks out all the way from the beginning. If you go back and listen to Caspa and Rusko's Fabric 37 mix there is a lot of stuff on it that would be classified as BroStep. Dubstep was prettymuch gone from 2011 anyway.

You'd better start calling this "oldschool darkstep", because dubstep is much more than just that. It's a large family of genres/styles nowadays.

Fabriclive 37 was the first or the final nail in the coffin, depending on who you ask.

>why should everyone sound like your 2 tracks?
because in those early days everything did sound vaguely like those tunes.
It wasn't until 2004 where things really started changing.

kill yourself
Everyone who understands knows what dubstep sounds like, there is no need for those retarded labels.

> Dubstep was prettymuch gone from 2011 anyway.
Lol, are u mad? Best dubstep was released in last 3 years:
discogs.com/label/521629-System-Music-2
discogs.com/label/848010-Blacklist-2
discogs.com/label/422306-Innamind-Recordings
> But there was still quite a lot of aggressive mid range sounding tracks out all the way from the beginning. If you go back and listen to Caspa and Rusko
Well, you can get to the very begining to Benga, Coki, Tes La Rok, Kromestar, which all did wubstep which is also midbass-oriented.

nah nothing is ever going to come close to Lost City

i hate americans so much

> there is no need for those retarded labels.
Either be more specific on your favorite kind of dubstep, or at least allow others with different favorite kind call they thing dubstep too.

Are u talking about some obscure 2004 Cyrus EP which is not even on the internets?

Ey lads, calm down. UK and US both did some nice dubstep, but no one can do dubstep better than turks.

nah, the tune mala and coki did together on dmz002.
shame you never hear it out, because Mala and Loefah don't play it and Coki is dead or something. And the record is rare af, so I doubt that if anyone else owned it they'd play it out.
youtube.com/watch?v=tZthWdkSAQU

Awesome tune.
Coki is alive, but considering your conservativism you will probably wish he was dead lol:
soundcloud.com/y-u-8/the-heights

Nah, even I'd rewind Spongebob a few times.
But honestly, he is the man who killed dubstep. Haunted was the beginning of the end.

* killed old darkstep
Ok, you don't like system, gantz, extreme schizo beats of nowadays, very much.
So maybe you should try this if not already:
soundcloud.com/abysmalentities
For me it feels like oldschool darkstep but with modern sound/production.

You don't know what killed means in this context do you?

Also "darkstep" is such a retarded name and I never said I didn't rate the grime-y styles.
Purple is the best btw.

omg this smear dub is a banger

youtube.com/watch?v=9mERNotcqos

ACTUAL dubstep