Can we stop for a second to talk about this record? Thoughts, Cred Forums...

Can we stop for a second to talk about this record? Thoughts, Cred Forums? I haven't been that excited since Bowie's Blackstar.

>inb4 le trv kvlt metal connoisseurs get mad

i dont think any of them would actually consider neiges fairy songs to be black metal

listened to it yesterday.liked it a lot.

too short

Alcest and other post-black, blackgaze, whateverthefuck bands are much more musically advanced than black metal ever was

i wont disagree user

I love it, may even be my aoty

Shelter was artsy fartsy crap, I'm glad Alcest went back to the heavier and more catchy stuff. They delivered an album on par with their earlier work, a fucking great listen

i'm a former metalfag, i would have loved this album in like 2008. but something about atmospheric dreamy soundscapes mixed with rage and terror doesn't sit well with me. i'd rather hear confusion and desolation present in heavier and darker genres

same, it's brilliant

What's more blackgaze that sounds similar to Alcest? Nothing that Neige is uninvolved with captures the same feelings but I want more, I've pretty much listened to all of his projects except that nazi black metal one.

Septembre et ses dernières pensées was the closest I have found.

Peste noire's first album is great, you don't have to agree with the artist to like their music. Peste Noire isn't very similar to Alcest though.

Alcest is never too good at doing anything.

So you got this whole blackgaze/post-rock thing that Alcest's earlier albums and this album does. It's a fucking mess that does nothing right. In an attempt to be more stereotypical black metal with muh tremolos and lack of instruments, it falls short as a post-rock project due to lack of variation in techniques/storytelling.

So if they lack in structure and technique, that must mean that being a metal band, they make it up by having amazing riffs/transitions, right? Nope. As is typical in shoegaze and some post-rock, there's not as much phrasing based movement as one would expect from something that's metal.

Thus they really aren't good at any aspect of their music that one is supposed to consider good. It would serve Alcest better if it stuck to a particular thing, but then they tried to just be shoegaze post-rock on Shelter and got exposed for how mediocre they are and that ultimately their music is for losers like who either don't listen to metal/can't appreciate it for what it does differently from other genres or a loser like who thinks it's cool just because non-metal elements are sprinkled in when anyone with sufficient knowledge of metal, post-rock, and shoegaze know that Alcest is pretty lacking on every front.

if you're into DSBM I rec you Thy Light. Great project.

wew

>Sun Bat Her
>Happy

>sun devoured earth
fuck yes.

recc

>I haven't been this excited for less than a year
wowie bowie

>mfw I realize it's true

>Blackstar.

>musically advanced
?

kys

This dude knows

I like it a lot more than I thought I would, but I can see why some would hate it. I had no expectations going in.