Why isn't AllMusic thought of more highly on Cred Forums?

Why isn't AllMusic thought of more highly on Cred Forums?

It's cited as a major publication on nearly every album's page on Wikipedia

a lot of allmusic reviews I've read it doesn't even seem like the reviewer listened to the album, just read some notes

I've read a lot of allmusic reviews and didn't get this. I think you mean they're just brief.

They're better than the Rolling Stone

That's all I have to say about them

I think allmusic is the best. very evenhanded. plus the user reviews balance out the reviewer reviews.

the writeups of bands on spotify is from allmusic. and the bands you may like feature on spotify is from allmusic.

that's not saying anything at all, it's like saying they're better than NME

because they gave a 5 star album 3 stars

this, you fuck

their reviews very seldom differ from popular opinion. they are usually the most inoffensive reviewers on the internet. maybe duster just sucks

>The record may be a bit long for some listeners, clocking in at 53 minutes. Stratosphere is best listened to at different times; tracks may be isolated or the record can be divided in parts. Duster are at their finest when they play with dynamics. Many tunes have a loud and a soft part, but they are never predictable. The transition is always interesting or takes you by surprise.

It's a very fair review, desu.

their contributors are glorified hobbyists and many of them put zero effort in. it's more of a database than a reliable source of critique.

that sounds like a useless reviewer then

yeah it's a well written review it just should have had 4/5 at the end, it's what they made it sound like

not really. they're good for knowing which way the wind blows without being tied up in pretension like pitchfork or edgy obscurity like sputnik and a million other such reviewers

>on Wikipedia

one of the weirdest allmusic reviews imo is the one for F# A# infinity. for some reason they only gave it a 3/5 even though the actual review seems to be praising it

>there are people on Cred Forums RIGHT NOW that are too dumb to comprehend that 3/5 is a positive rating

back to Cred Forums you go, and take your IGN rating inflation with you

How is that even a review?

their entire schtick is basically just pumping out as many ratings for as many albums as possible, that's all they're trying to do and it shows

i know its positive, its just not positive enough for that album

I used to go on there a lot back in my mid teens. Definitely have cool stuff there. It was through them when I discovered Gorguts' Obscura I was also able to discover Beefheart's Trout Mask Replica way back before it was a meme. But for a lot of certain artists, they for sure don't have as detailed a review as for others. That being said sometimes you'll also be surprised, like AllMusic is the only music spot on the internet that actually tries to detail a quite a bit on as many of Glenn Branca's releases as they could as opposed to the vast majority of the internet that only details up Lesson No. 1 and The Ascension.

I would disagree. Among many popular music review spots on the internet, they are among the few that have given both Greed and Holy Money by Swans good scores (4 and 4.5 out of 5 respectively.) Unlike a lot of the rest of the internet where people are often like "these albums are just the band making their way towards Children of God and they don't sound like CoG yet so they aren't that good," AllMusic rather looked at the two albums on their own merits and that's not only uncommon but something I personally really like as a Swans fan.

They give pretty much everything a 4/5. I'd say it's a lot better for finding older music than new albums

Because they aren't tastemakers. They gave Midnight Boom by the Kills 5 stars and nobody is calling that album a classic

It is, yes. There's a rating and words.

Allmusic is more notable as a music encyclopedia than a review site.

Rolling Stone is fucking shit. Everyone's way better than them