Will prog ever make a comeback...

Will prog ever make a comeback? The sad thing is that it could have been a dominant genre but music journalists became adament that their medium would never amount to anything greater than two minute show tunes, where the performance was more important than the playing. I hold to it that the reason they killed prog is because they were comfortable in their mediocrity and intimidated that prog represented genuine skill, not just musically but philosophically, literary, and culturally. We could have had a musical renaissance that rivaled the greatest art forms. As good as Genesis, Pink Floyd, Yes, Crimson were, imagine if we had six generations of artists rising and studying, and developing it forward. Imagine what we would have today. I believe the music industry itself had a hand in this as they wanted to ensure that music remained something that a single producer could steer, giving rise to the modern DJ/rap culture where the artist is the most superfluous element. At least we still have that little window in the late 60s, early 70s where music was almost something that mattered.

Is this le pasta?

>I hold to it that the reason they killed prog is because they were comfortable in their mediocrity and intimidated that prog represented genuine skill, not just musically but philosophically, literary, and culturally.
This is correct, though you've got to remember that many traditional prog bands demonstrated a lack of this as well.

It took me a while to realise, but prog isn't the only form of progressive rock if you get my meaning. The classical/jazz influences, allusions to high matter and seriously good musicianship are all present in many artists outside of prog. However, I do agree that prog has far from reached its ultimate potential as a genre - years of awful neo-prog bands don't prove that it's a dead form of music, just that music journalism culture's distinct and maintained distaste of prog dissuaded all but the most die-hard followers of the genre to go elsewhere with their music. And prog isn't about following, it's about pioneering and expanding horizons. Modern prog is largely cheesy, soulless, boring and overproduced - but what makes it essential not prog is that it tries so hard to be prog. Older prog music (I'd say Jethro Tull and King Crimson were the epitome of this) understood the need for textures, atmospherics, real-life themes, and to go beyond the genre wherever possible. No great prog band was ever just a prog band - they flirted with folk, avant-garde, math, electronic, ambient, psychedelic, etc. in a meaningful way and that made all the difference.

It seems that you're possibly a classically trained or a professional musician or just a person with a deep love and understanding of music, which is also a virtue. What contemporary (neo) prog bands would you consider mediocre and which ones outstanding? I would really like to hear the list of your favorite albums and prog bands.

Great post OP.

I would also like this, good thread guys

Windows users (aka children), how's it feel to know there's an entire group of individuals who are better at computers than you are? Meet Linux users. They are better than you.

They understand the hardware better, they understand the basic principles of computer science better, they know how networks work better than you. They understand the pros and cons of filesystems (including ntfs) because on linux, you get to choose FS's; they understand the principles behind operating system design because they run into phrases like "microkernel" and "monolithic kernels"; they can probably program, too, since learning a scripting language vastly improves productivity on linux (and this really pisses you off, since programming was one thing you always failed at on windows.) Oh, and they probably know windows better than you, since most advanced linux
users these days are ex-windows users who managed to learn linux years ago, when it was much less user friendly.

At this point, a confident individual would admit to himself he has a lot to learn about linux and computers in general. But since you lack the self esteem to do that, you run back to windows, install a MMORPG and keep repeating to yourself "at least I can run games. at least I can run games."

If you're looking for a job, all this hits you even harder, because you realize a lot of the jobs require linux in one way or another. Even many of the windows related jobs recommend linux! At this point, you rationalize "well the only thing I know is windows, so I must be a windows expert!" as if knowing only one thing makes you an automatic expert, or that learning linux forces you to forget windows entirely.

Wrong board perhaps? Your post is clearly Cred Forums related.

Holy shit you're such a fucking dumbass, you know that? You are the bottom of the Earth. The people nobody wants to talk to. You spend so much time listening to shitty music yet you think it's good. You spend your time obsessing about people and posting them on the internet to look cool yet in reality if people in real life saw that what would they think? They think you were a loser, you fucking loser. You aren't interested in starting a discussion with me? It's probably because you don't even know how. I'm not retarded, I'm telling the truth. Know what you're doing before you do it. The way you're acting now is so childish I can't even begin to explain. Listen to a mature record that isn't a totally exaggerated mess of emotions and poor musical merit. Which is what you listen to now. How about some avant-garde jazz? Try A Love Supreme, it's pretty entry level. You probably won't get it though because you're a worthless sack of shit. You will never amount to anything in life. Go outside, take a walk, don't think about your edgy so deep music for once. Once you've done that, come back and try to look at what you're doing right now. Maybe after a few times you'll see that you're a complete child and need to improve. Or maybe you have a serious mental issue. Maybe Autism? I'm guessing that's it. Seek a doctor or therapy to help that out. Or maybe you don't. Maybe you're just a close minded retard with no understanding of anything at all.

Don't even try to bring this argument anywhere else. I won't respond, or I'll think of something to get you mad since you're easily made upset. This discussion is over, sorry loser.

Specifically modern prog? I find bands like Bigelf, Gazpacho and Haken to be tiresome and unoriginal. By contrast, there are a few modern prog albums which I really feel bring something to the genre. One is The Raven That Refused To Sing - though many have the same criticism of it that I have of the above bands, I've always seen it as really unique in that it's basically a series of children's ghost stories with a legitimately haunting atmosphere which comes through the vocals, the instrumentation and the production. There is also a great variety in the actual music on display - Luminol is a groove-driven minimalist piece like Neu! in a ghost house, Drive Home and The Raven are both really beatiful heartfelt ballads which are nonetheless quite different in tone, The Pin Drop is a chaotic depiction of hell and The Watchmaker is just an all-round extremely well-written piece with some great and memorable flute work. And then Wilson went and made Hand Cannot Erase which was a huge step back.

Btw not sure if you were being facaetious or not but I don't have any kind of academic knowledge of classical music.

i you think about it the spirit prog is very much still alive but in the music of guys like flying lotus

mainstream music is atm strongly about not being musically (and philosophically) challenged. it is (dare i say) too hedonistic.

i dont think id ever say such a pretentious thing.

>We youtube now

Do you know how fucking hard it is? Do ANY of you know how fucking hard it is? To go 26 FUCKING YEARS without even kissing another human being? To go 26 FUCKING YEARS with not even an OUNCE of intimacy in your life? No....of course you don't! You're all Chads and Staceys. You guys just fuck any slut you want. And you girls just fuck the top 20% of men. And don't fucking deny it, it's scientifically PROVEN! Girls rate 80% of men on OkCupid as BELOW AVERAGE. Guys like me, average looking guys, guys who are a little on the short side, we don't even FUCKING EXIST to you! We're the guys who run your fucking errands for you, help you move your shit, who treat you with nothing but respect and what do we get in return? FUCKING NOTHING! Not a hug, not a peck, NOTHING! And then you have the FUCKING audacity to turn "nice guys" into some FEMINIST buzzword and accuse us of being CREEPS! News flash: you only think we're creepy because we aren't ATTRACTIVE! If Chad does the same shit, you can't even wait to take off your soiled panties for him! Well, fuck you! My names is Danny Fuckin' Struthers, and I'm a fucking virgin! Don't like it? Bite me!

You're not at all contributing to the conversation, nor are you funny.

Fresh off the boat from reddit, kid? heh I remember when I was just like you. Braindead. Lemme give you a tip so you can make it in this cyber sanctuary: never make jokes like that. You got no reputation here, you got no name, you got jackshit here. It's survival of the fittest and you ain't gonna survive long on Cred Forums by saying stupid jokes that your little hugbox cuntsucking reddit friends would upboat. None of that here. You don't upboat. You don't downboat. This ain't reddit, kid. This is Cred Forums. We have REAL intellectual discussion, something I don't think you're all that familiar with. You don't like it, you can hit the bricks on over to imgur, you daily show watching son of a bitch. I hope you don't tho. I hope you stay here and learn our ways. Things are different here, unlike any other place that the light of internet pop culture reaches. You can be anything here. Me ? heh, I'm a judge.. this place.... this place has a lot to offer... heh you'll see, kid . . . that is if you can handle it..

ie 99% of Cred Forums posts

How many more of those have you got?

>Will prog ever make a comeback?
It already did

>Btw not sure if you were being facaetious or not but I don't have any kind of academic knowledge of classical music.
If it came out as condescending or offensive, that wasn't my intention at all. You made some great arguments and I respect that. By the way, I really enjoyed Hand. Cannot. Erase and saw Steven Wilson live in May. He had the best live sound I've ever heard though. Which prog bands in general are youf favorites?

now now danny don't get in a huff otherwise i'l have to get the GP to up your dosage, we wouldn't want that would we danny boy?

For modern bands, SW's first three solo records were all great, I also love early Spock's Beard (The Light is fantastic), and The Mars Volta if they count. As far as classic prog goes, I'd list Aqualung, In The Court, Larks' Tongues, Close To The Edge, Atom Heart Mother, Quadrophenia and Scheherazade as my personal favourite records. What about you?

Some of my favorite prog albums are: Caravan - In the land of grey and pink, King Crimson - Discipline, Frank Zappa - Burnt weeny sandwich (it's a combination of classical and rock music, so I'm not 100% sure if it qualifies), Frank Zappa - One size fits all, Frank Zappa - Freak out, Frank Zappa - Over-nite sensation, Camel - Mirage, Camel - The Snow goose, Aphrodite's child - 666, All Genesis Gabriel Era albums, Steven Wilson - The Raven that refused to sing, Eloy - Ocean, ELP, - Tarkus, etc. I'm almost done listening to Zappa's studio albums and I'll delve into more krautrock, avant-prog and non English prog and I hope I'll find some favorite there too.