Guys I need your help

Guys I need your help
>Be me
>Engineering student
>Complete shit at abstract subjects
>Don't have a good study method
>Light ad-hd (diagnosed, but they won't give me meds, they just said go on and do what you can, fuck them)
>Can't focus for long periods, my brain melts off usually after 30 minutes and it's very difficult to regain focus
>Tried to cut out vidya, tried to cut out 4chin and everything that could distract me, only worked for vidya
Please, I need your help, I'm starting to consider an-hero or worse, joining architecture.
Tell me your study methods, tricks and tips, whatever to be less shitty on things like analisis or rational mechanics

>Will contribute with OC

adderall starts at like, 5mg doses, so either you're lying/self-diagnosed or you went to your family doctor.

go to a mental health professional.

She's right you know.

Also show tits

Have you always been like this? I had the same problem. Wasted a year at college before learning I needed to keep myself busy working with my hands. I choose not to take Adderall for my attention problems btw. (Not a brag just explaining my similar experience)

Clean desk
Peace and quiet
No distractions.
Try to understand the core concept first and then try to remember the relevant information.
When I was studying for my SATs I would jerk off 3 times a day. Jerking off became my escape and how I relaxed or stopped my mind from running.
Find something that works for you.
Don't fall for the hurrrdurr some fuck in the newspaper became a x and studied in y conditions. Properly evaluate what works for you and what doesn't.
Don't fall the highlighting meme. I always knew highlighting with the colors and shit was a meme. If you absolutely need to just underline the things that are important for exams or whatever.

lolwut
why do you think i'm a grill

Thanks mate, but I live in Italy and Adderall is banned here, it's more difficult to get meds
Here some OC, more help please?

>Only use college computers for 2 weeks.
>Get involved in a sport (good outlet for excess energy)
>Dont drink or eat anything with sugars, artificial sweetners, caffeine or nicotine (or any stimulants) until you lose a taste for them.

Create your schedule for meals etc. and keep to it. I always found that when I'm studying I loose track of time.
Don't let other people define what studying means.

Hi Friendo,

Im an engineer, 10 years in the industry, PhD, I had the same problems.

Listen to white noise on headphones. Or tune a radio to inter-station noise.

THIS, thank you so much, it means a fuckton to me
For who's interest, the next OC for a relevant answer will be a trannie I had sex with some time ago

Because I fucking said so. Propane, right?

shit, I wasted 4 years in college and I'm still attending

For the fist time in too much time, I'm taking notes

Most importantly perhaps don't study with some sort of urgency. If you're thinking I need to learn all this or I fail or something you will never learn shit. Try, if you fail. Put it aside and do something else. A answer will present itself but don't give up.

keep your house clean, workout regularly, eat healthy, and keep a calendar. those things work very well for me.

hey, grad engineer here. Here are some options.
Get pissed off at the question. You should be able to do it right? you're a smart guy? then why is this quesstion between you and being correct. Fuck the question, you're the one who will be paid to be smart and right.

As for architecture... if you're meant to be an engineer you're born to be an engineer. Architects are a different breed, they think they're a big shot but in the end they can't do shit. They can come up with good concepts, but they lack execution.
side note, if you want to be good at engineering, think about sex. If you want to be good at architecture, think about love. And let's be honest, no one loves you. Do it for the sex.

Studying for me is a whole day affair. I can open a book and continue working on the same subject for the whole day. I dong get 'tired' of it perse. Other people like variety in their day. See what works for you.

learning and getting good grades are not the same thing. it is actually possible to cram before a test (2-5 days) and get a good grade. yes, at the college level cramming is waiting 5 days... at least at my university. whenever I cram, I forget the material within a week after the test, but who actually needs to know the shit they teach in school? on the job training is more useful than a four year degree.

I'm starting to put things together
This is what I'll try to do
1)get back to Thai boxing (I quit because I felt it was time consuming but you are right, help a lot with stress)
2)keep a clean working space, listen to white noise
3) make a calendar, organize things
4) don't rush study

I forgot something?

at least in my field, which is Nursing and Natural Science (dual major)

You might try out the pomodoro method of studying. You basically do 15 minute quick sessions of intense studying, set a timer, and then you take a 5 minute break to do whatever. Anything but study. Repeat as needed.

you had unprotected anal sex with a tranny hooker? ewwww

ha, 15 minutes? she's an engineering major not a friggin psychology major. engineering problems warrant a bit more critical thinking

This. I jerk like not even once a week. when im stressed that shit skyrockets to several times a day.

For me I do things like this: Learn a concept in a lecture or whatever

Go home and attempt to master that concept. I see myself as going to school to introduce myself to a concept i will master that night when i go home.

I will try this one, maybe it fits me better
I'm really shit at keeping focus

As an engineering student, I promise you can get a decent bit of work done in 15 minutes. If you want you can extend the timer out to 25 or 30 minutes, but it's better to start with small intervals so you can get used to it.

Just do part A. Every engineering problem has lettered parts.

After studying for 30mins take a break for 5-10-20mins, as long as it takes you to blow some steam

I can't speak to that but you can't build on your on the job training. To create new concepts, ideas, frameworks, theories, etc... You need to understand the base of it. The concepts, the corpus of knowledge on it. On the job training is like instruction on a console it's application knowledge.

She's not a hooker anymore, we dated for a month and her tests were negative
(Asked her tests because trust issues)

4 chin is literally saving my ass, didn't think that was possible

I guess it depends on the type of engineer you want to be. I can't see an engineering problem concerned with fluid dynamics taking 15 minutes

the entire medical field is application knowledge, unless you're a biomedical engineer. I'm in Nursing. I was studying to become a chemist, which is also application knowledge, I assure you

Maybe you missed the part where you can come back after the break and keep working? Because that's usually how it works.

I don't do fluid dynamics, it was never a field that I enjoyed. CFD is neat, and more power to the people that are good at it. I much prefer radiation transport and shielding.

oh well that's alright then

yeah, I don't know what you're talking about. engineering is not my field. I've only taken 300 level calculus and physics, not the 400-600 level shit. Nurses don't have to problem solve using their brains. We follow procedures.

the doctors probably noted you as a drug seeker on your file. good luck ever getting help OP faggit

The only thing you can do is find what you love to do and study it. I'm working hvac right now and hate it so I could give fuck all about actually learning it. I have 10 years of die making under my belt and I love that shit so I absorb knowledge as much as I can.

Again, Italy = no adderall (eurofag banned substances), only one you can have is modafenil and they give it just to the worst cases

Mrs. user is a nurse, she does plenty of problem solving, but you are right, there is a lot more memorizing involved in nursing than in engineering. Engineering school is, at least in part, about teaching you how to think in a certain way so that you can approach problems correctly in the workplace. A lot of places will basically have to teach you everything from scratch anyway about their process and the tools they use, so memorizing stuff maybe isn't as useful in other fields.

Also OP is an engineering student, so that's where we're focused, I would think.

No its not. How do you diagnose patients. How do you interpret test results.

Yes mate, thank you (OP)

hey, just be glad you don't live in America. We are so overprescribed and poisoned. One of our drug manufacturers raised the price of Epipens 500% this year, just because they could. America needs a little Eurofagism.

the way I study is 1-1,5hrs max per instance, then do something else for 3-4 hours then study for 30 mins

rinse and repeat

I dont have adhd but this way of studying is particularly effective for medschool

I always envy the people that were able to party and get through it with above a 3.0. I was not one of those people. I eventually had to cut people out of my life because they were distractions.
After 4 years I was a year and a half away from a degree still. I had no life, I struggled, I cried, I hated myself but I finished. I graduated with a terrible GPA (2.188), but I graduated and got my CPA and now I'm paid well and it was worth it.
Some of the smartest people I knew in college were engineering majors and they struggled. You're not the only one in this situation.
tl;dr
It will always be a struggle, there is no magic pill, it takes will power. If you make it, it's worth it.

chemistry PhD here. sorry you quit because you couldn't hack O-Chem. BTW engineering is the epitome of 'application knowledge' you tard

Guess what, I'm the guy talking about problem solving and I'm also the GUY who is a nurse. lol

by remembering things from a book and using machines and test procedures that you were taught how to use. it's not like your average doctor is a friggin geniuses that can sequence your DNA and find the problem.

Show tits anyway

I was referencing my wife, who is a nurse. Who does problem solving on the job.

In general I was trying to discuss stuff with the other engineers in the thread, about how solving engineering problems usually involves dealing with multiple lettered parts that may take longer than the 15 minute time period I espoused several post ago. Then you started talking about something because memorizing in nursing isn't the same as doing engineering work and I responded. What's the point you are trying to get across, in this thread about being an engineering student?

did fine in o-chem, actually. I quit because there are no jobs for PhDs in Chem, unless you want to teach. I chose Nursing because I will make 150k in 4 years and guess what? Everyone and their mother needs a nurse

You guys are making my day
As soon as I get home I'll drop my folderino of OC

I was a Natural Science major for 4 years. I should've been more detailed. I have 130 useless credits, virtually all of them not required for Nursing. Natural Science is very chemistry and physics-heavy