Can someone explain the difference between "who" and "whom" and how to use them correctly?

can someone explain the difference between "who" and "whom" and how to use them correctly?

Other urls found in this thread:

grammarbook.com/grammar/whoVwhom.asp
theoatmeal.com/comics/who_vs_whom
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

if in doubt, use who.

Hipsters try to use words such as 'whom' to sound cultured. In fact, they mostly sound like idiots.

it's not about being a hipster and using it to sound sophisticated, I'm geniounly curious.

Who is asking dumb questions? To whom should I complain about this fag?

Easy.

Nominative: Who
Accusative: Whom

you use who in sentences like: "the train goes WHOWHO!"

whom in sentences like: "the sexual breading scream of an deer goes WHOMWHOM"

thank me later bro!

Replace it in the sentence with he or him. If he works it's who if him works it whom.

1) Give it to (him) whom?
2) (He) Who gave it to you?

Actually not accusative, more like oblique case

"Whom," generally refers to someone unknown in a polite context in third person. For instance, if a secretary picked up a call from a stranger, they would generally ask "whom" they are speaking to in third person, but would ask "who am I speaking to?" In first person. That being said, it is rarely used because of the niche circumstances it doesn't sound weird in.

didn't mean to imply that.

was basically saying, it's unimportant unless you're writing an official letter...then again, the grammar is often not noted. I write a lot of letters, often while drunk, and the replies I get suggest the respondent was also drunk.

grammarbook.com/grammar/whoVwhom.asp

basic summary.
Examples helped me learn the difference with most grammar. I particually hate the English language.

theoatmeal.com/comics/who_vs_whom

Sure OP. Goes like this.

Knock knock.
Who's there?
To.
To who?
To whom, retard.

Henry Hale:I fear the presence of the outsiders will attract those of whom we do not speak.

Female Elder #2:But if you talk about those of whom we do not speak, have you not spoken of that about which we do not talk.

Henry Hale:Do not speak of that of about which we talk of not speaking... about.

any grammar tips you can share bro?

/thread

This.
Not this.

would "whom are you speaking of?" work?
it answers with "I'm speaking of him"

For whom the bells toll
Time marches on

you answered your own question
the answer is yes

>using correct grammar is bad

thanks, got it now.

"Who" is a subject, "whom" is an object.

>Who gave that to you?
The person doing the action in this sentence is "who," meaning "who" is the subject.

>Whom did you fuck last night?
You did the fuck to someone, the object of the action. "You" are the subject here; "whom" is the object.

>you did the fuck to someone

best sentence i've read all day

lost hard