So I'm gonna start going to the gym again and I wanted to know whats faster/better

So I'm gonna start going to the gym again and I wanted to know whats faster/better.
Lifting to lose weight or running on a thread mil?

For best results, do both. Alternate between lifting and cardio 6 days out of the week, rest on the 7th. Remember that diet is just as (if not more) important than exercise.

Diet.

You have to sort out what you are eating first or you are wasting time, money and effort for no long term gains.

Lifting weights is pointless, yiu want cardio which is things like swimming, running etc

Running I'm sure. I lost 45 lbs fairly quickly by running & bicycling, and eating slightly less food.

Is the weather shitty where you live? Unless it is, fuck the gym and go running outside. Much more fun.

Lifting for sure.

Muscle burns more energy, and will continue to burn energy all day, especially after a good workout.

Cardio only burns energy for that time.

People who are saying cardio are fucking retards.

Lifting is only going to add bulk. You want to work cardio and get yourt weight down, and then build to cover up the sins of the skin flaps.

If I do cardio for 15 minutes as a warm up, lift, and then do cardio for another 15 minutes, will I see the gainz?

Don't goto the gym, it's a waste of money.

Cut back on how much you spend on food or how much you eat, change from full fat milk to skimmed etc and buy a cheap exercise bike. Do 10 mins a day on the bike, once a day with gradual food reduction you'll lose weight easy.

Just do it gradually, reduce how much sugar you have in your coffee and shit like that.

If you try to go apeshit with excercise and starving yourself you're gonna quit in a month and be fatter than you were when you started.

im interested in losing weight quickly

No, no it won't.

Strength training such as weight lifting and bodyweight exercises are highly effective ways to strip fat and bump up that pesky metabolism. Cardio alone will burn calories, but pretty inefficiently, and it will also take ages to do so.

Another benefit of pumping that iron is that it continues to burn calories for hours after you finish your workout as the body uses up energy trying to repair and grow the muscles you've just worked, whereas cardio will pretty much only burn calories whilst you're doing it. This means that 30 minutes in the weights room will have a much longer lasting legacy than 30 minutes on the treadmill.

I already have a gym membership

losing weight = burning more calories than you take in

that is all.

eat less, eat less garbage, burn more calories.

most important thing is calories in, calories out

sounds good to me I want to get stronger anyway

any tips on foods? I love meats.

Just get a stationary excercise bike for the house. The problem with gyms is the drive there and all the hassle will make you less likely to do it on a daily bases long-term.

Gym is only for gym rats, most everyone else will stop going after a month or two due to it being a pain in the ass.

Think long term and moderate your food intake, it's easy if you don't' go crazy. Going crazy = muscle paints, hunger, tiredness and irritabilty which leads to a very high chance of quitting and back to where you started.

so i can still eat whatever?

Protein, and contrary to what people say, Carbs. Definitely carbs if you go for High Intensity Interval Training.

If you want to be lean, then you're going to have to cut out fats.

Nigga are you even fucking reading this thread

yeah take in less than what i burn
for a begineer what do you recommened me to do to start my life of lifting

Diet is much more important than exercise to reduce your waistline

First. Cut down any excess sugars, wheat, fat from your diet. (sodas, candy, fast food) Start eating healthy. This will make the biggest change in your body. It doesn´t matter if you work out like a maniac but eat shitty.

Second. Work out around 4 times a week, what suits you most. Preferably more than 2 and not over 5. Eg. 3 days lifting and 2 cardio or 2 days lifting, one cardio. I suggest doing more lifting, since it will burn fat but also build muscle.

Third. Remember to rest.

Fourth. Set goals. When I started, I set my goal to be completing a 4 week program. After 4 weeks I noticed minor changes, not on my weight but the way I looked. It drove me forward. Goals should be had but not impossible.

Good luck user

You don't need to be a gym rat. A few dumbells a kettlebell and a pullup bar are all you need.

this

/fit/

had similar experience.. tried both

I recommend training with free weights. Most of those machines are totally useless.. Squats, benchpresses, dumbbell exercises are really all you need. Also little bit of cardio to increase your stamina and cardiovascular health

Yea, but cardio is super important, 20 minutes of that, then do lifts. Burn a ton of calories in one session.

Would recommend lifting weights nothing wrong with getting stronger and burning that extra fat you got but if your going for strictly losing weight then go for cardio but if your looking for looking toned out then do both

I go with 6 exercises at home.

Lunges (with dumbells)
Push-Ups.
Rows (with dumbells)
Hinge / Squats (with kettlebell)
Shoulder Press (with dumbells)
Pull-Ups. I don't use a bar but individual hand grips so that my wrist can rotate while pulling up.

If you're only talking about burning fat, diet and portion control are most important. You can lift and do cardio but if you eat cake and shit after you won't burn anything.

If you don't have weights, you can fill a 5 gallon bucket with water, that's ~40 pounds.

Don´t over do. If you´re a beginner any training will get results. Only start increasing volume when you know what you´re doing, otherwise you´ll just injure yourself

user speaks truth

Only eat protein and fats (good ones, avocado, nuts etc).
Cut back your food, DO NOT EAT CARBS AT ALL.
Lift heavy.
Cardio is only an option, make your weightlifting main focus along with your diet.
Consistency is key.
If you lack motivation, just keep pushing forward.
Body is able but the mind is weak.
You will see changes, do not get lazy.

Otherfag here co-opting OPs thread. I've been doing really well losing weight. I went From 260 to 214 since May, but now I want to put on a muscle as well. The problem is I can't get to the gym, I don't have a lot of money because I live on disability (seizure disorder), and can't really afford a weight machine or even free weights. Are there any tips or resources you guys can point me to on how I can build muscle With any kind of weights?

Stupid, you need carbs, they are what the brain uses of fuel. Don't eat carbs you'll just feel like shit.

I have man boobs just like this guy. Life is suffering. You can't feel comfortable talking to a girl because the first thing you what to bring up is that you have man boobs so you can just get it out of the way instead of having to bombard her with your huge tits when you guys first meet up on a date.

Try wall climbing or hiking.
Also, join calisthenics club at your nearest park.
You do not need gym to get stronger.

5 gallon buckets are cheap, and can be filled with pretty much anything to give weight. Water to start, then you can start using sand, which will of course be much heavier.

>DO NOT EAT CARBS AT ALL.
SO FUCKING WRONG. Especially when you're talking about heavy lifting.

During an intense workout, you body doesn't burn fat, it burns carbs. During that time the body doesn't have time to mess around trying to convert your fat stores into energy and so it goes for the much more readily available carbohydrates.

It is only after your workout, after you have depleted you carbohydrate and sugar stores, that your body can slow down enough to burn fat. Your body will burn fat when you're sitting on the couch watching Top Gear re-runs just by keeping your heart beating, your lungs working and regulating your body temperature. If you want to get technical, this is what is called your basal metabolic rate (BMR) and it accounts for up to 70% of your metabolism.

What happens if you cut out your carbs is that you will have less energy during your workouts, meaning that you won't be able to work as effectively, meaning that you won't build any muscle or burn as many calories in the first place.

Wrong. Ketone body receptors are re-expressed on neurons after about a week without blood sugar spikes.

Don't discount body weight exercises. Simple pushups work your shoulder, triceps and chest.
Add in some cheap kettlebells and work biceps, shoulders. triceps, etc

lol wtf u on about

lifting weights is a great way to lose weight

I have done a lot of shit to get lean.
I am a natural endo, if i even look at a pizza i'll get fat.
But not eating carbs works for me by far.
Your body will adjust to your not eating any carbs.

So you want to be in constant ketosis? No, that's retarded, just like you.

Not him but your body can produce carbs from protein and fat stores. It's not healthy to force that on your liver long term, but it's almost impossible to go completely 0 carbs in today's society. Avoiding all carbs results in a low carb diet, which is ideal

>thread mill

If you're me, you'll understand.
A pure endomorph. I'm really sensitive to glycogen.
I am in a constant ketosis, people dig my looks

No wonder you're fat, you fucking idiot. No you can't. Sure you could probably get away with eating a burger here and there but you obviously have to watch how much you eat and WHAT you eat.

my god talk about self-deprecation

you have that down to an artform
holy shit someone that actually sounds like he lifts

>Avoiding all carbs results in a low carb diet, which is ideal
This. here and just by cutting down my carbs and using a calorie counting app I lost all that weight I mentioned in my post.

This is all you need. Those 6 exercises you can do at home with simple equipment and all together they cover pretty much all the muscles.

this is terrible advice

if you want to be lean cut out sugar

cut out refined carbohydrates

your body is physically incapable of using your bodyfat for fuel if there are high concentrations of insulin (used in sugar metabolism) in your bloodstream.

cut out sugar, cut down on simple carbs.

to speed things up, skip a meal (dinner is most effective) once in a while because fasting is incredibly good for you.

fewer calories, more nutrients.

Cardio much better at first, but building a little muscle will raise your metabolism so you don't have to have a starvation type diet. Do mostly cardio and like 10 to 15 of lifting.

No. Just fucking no. See

Diet and running is a good way to lose the weight
Lifting weights also important

It's easy to weight lift and eat like shit still
Running will keep your diet in check. You'll feel what you eat.

Water
Whole grains
Lean meats like Fish and Poultry
Add seasonings to keep some flavor going on
Cut processed sugar

Maintain healthy meal portions
Stay true to the diet
Set regular days and times when you exercise

ez stuff

Fuck it. Cut milk out. Get almond milk.

This guy knows.
Once again, DO NOT CONSUME CARBS AT ALL.
Carbs are like drugs, if you're hooked, you'll come back for more

Fuck carbs. Protein and fat keeps you full and away from snacks.

Your body will adjust. It takes time but your body knows if you do not eat carbs it will burn your fat.
Carbs are just fast cheap option to eat back in the day. Easily feed thousands of people. It is unnecessary for the human body

No. Dairy products are fine so long as they're low-fat.

Calcium will bind to some of the fat in your diet and prevent it from being absorbed into your system. This means that it will pass straight through you without adding to the circumference of your waist.

This is essentially what those expensive fat-loss tablets do, but in the cheaper, more delicious form of cheese rather than popping a pill.

Obviously moderation is key here. And you cannot just pig out on cheese thinking it's magic.

Yes, your body will adjust, at the expense of your liver.

One guy's suggesting how to best get lean, the other guy's suggesting how to best build muscle. They're both right.

Diet.

Without a proper diet, you are going to remain fat. Anybody who says otherwise is kidding themselves. Sorry kiddo, gunna have to start eating properly.

You can workout in addition to the diet though, being physically fit is always a plus. I would do both cardio and weight lifting.

Samefag

diet > exercise

if your goal is to lose weight.

just go for walks, don't drink anything besides water, and watch how much you eat.

it's not hard.

To elaborate on this, people are overcomplicated the fuck out of this shit. Diet comes down to a few things.

1) Do you want to lose or gain weight? We know you want to lose it, so let's press on with that.

You have a # of maintenance calories, which is the calories you have to consume to maintain your current body weight. Let's say yours is 3000. So if you wanted to lose weight, you would eat less than your 3000, 2600 let's say, and the body would have to burn energy from another source to keep you alive, which is what is already on your body. Eat less than your maintenance calories and you will lose weight. If you wanted to gain weight, you would eat more than your maintenance calories.

That's it. I am sure there is some merit to everyone bitching about carbs or insulin spikes or whatever, but it is negligible compared to the volume. You eat a lot, you get fat. You eat less, you don't get as fat. It's as simple as that. If you want to become a super serious body builder than you can focus on that stuff, but for now, focus on how much you are eating. IF you eat a slice of cake every day, you are going to lose weight regardless of if that cake is pure fucking carbs. So google your maintenance calories (Calorieking) and start eating less than that shit, go to the gym and do some cardio during the week, you'll be fine. You have the power to change who you are.

Well, whatever works for you man.

This is hilariously bad advice.