Is being happy a choice?

Is being happy a choice?

I think you made one believer this guys here.

yes. everything is a choice

only happy people will say it is. Just like only rich people think being rich is a choice. Survivorship bias at its finest. Do you have a choice in how your stomach secretes acid? No? Well guess what, the brain doesn't function on magic and rainbows either. They are bodily functions beyond your control.

Yes and no

forgot to add: all you can do is work in their favor

no its not ;)

>They are bodily functions beyond your control
this

>Do you have a choice in how your stomach secretes acid?

well, yes, actually... acid levels are affected by many chemicals, hormones and by stress levels, all of which you are able to impact just by changing your mental outlook on things

>Emoji
Obvious 14 year old detected
Opinion discarded

Being rich isnt a magic switch. Its a choice that takes effort. Survival is a skill.

Your thought process sounds very liberal. As if everythings out of your realm of control and you dont have accountability.

>Everything is everyone else's fault because nothing is my choice

>I did not chose to stab that man so I can't be held accountable for his death

It is a choice in the sense that you can perform actions that will make you happy. But no you cannot just will yourself to be happy, you have to change your environment to one that is more suitable.

They are chemicals in your brain
They all have a TRIGGER
Drugs can trigger most of them, along with mediation and exercises physical and mental
You really are in control, i decided to enable my 'everyone else is dick' chemical a few years back and its defiantly worked in my favor.

Do they sell pills to increase the levels of these chemicals?

>how do I use Google?

This post triggered me

it's one of the only choices we have, buddy.

no, but they do sell pills that will suppress you and replace you with a consciousness that will act happy for you.

its called XTC

1:Yes they do sell pills that increase the levels of these chemicals
2:they don't sell the magic pill you speak of

literally every antidepressant

just if you are rich and intelligent/well informed about drugs and stuff

Happiness is a overestimated thing in generally. Is stagnating, is a sheep state, no questions, no answers, no passion for anything. You live just waiting for death. Nowadays is a word used by hippies who want to sell you a lifestyle.

lol

It's a bit from column A and a bit from column B.

You do have some amount of control over your outlook. You can choose to approach something with an open mind, and you can (sometimes) choose not to let something bother you.

But down at the chemical level, yeah, you can't really control it. You can influence it somewhat, and you can take various drugs to alter it, but that's like trying to fly a jet while wearing a gimp suit with three layers of mittens and a blindfold.

best drug to use: DMT
but no you can't choose, it's expensive

Nothing else but this, finaly a thinking person.

If you're talking about my 1st point, exactly.
If you're talking about my 2nd point, antidepressants aren't magic pills that replace your consciousness you crazy hippy.

why'd you choose to be a faggot then?

You have happiness confused with complacency.

One can be happy, passionate, and productive all at once.

2nd point, and yes, they pretty much do. I have a friend who was recently put on them and every now and again he tells me about how he's still exactly the same inside but his body smiles and laughs at jokes that he doesn't find funny, and he has conversations with people now that he doesn't even remember after the fact. He was completely normal before the drug though.

because it was my choice to make

Because they're changing the level of chemicals in his body temporarily he feels different

Again they aren't fucking magic
Also
>hurr durr I have a friend who it happened to once so I'm an expert

kill yourself

kill yourself

>Being so Buttmad you can't wait 30 seconds for your first post to go through

>Your thought process sounds very liberal. As if everythings [sic] out of your realm of control and you dont [sic] have accountability.

That is the abductive of liberal: you have simultaneously inverted individuality with difference from the group, and conformity with choice.

Whether a person is born a certain way or chooses to be a certain way doesn't change whether the group has the authority to demand conformity. Group membership is not a choice if the group's survival demands that people follow rules. Those outside of the group become a threat: therefore the group must include all. Therefore, only those rules that are intrinsic to the group can be demanded, or the group builds its destruction into the group.

You are an authoritarian who thinks that you can decide what the rules are with no consideration as to whether the group can actually survive under those rules.

Throughout the years of civilization, an equilibrium forms for most rules, but no group has ever survived long that violates the rule that if the rule tears the group apart, then it cannot be a rule.

This is why authoritarianism only works by exclusion, and why it is magical thinking, because the only size group that can ever work under authoritarianism is the group of one.

tl;dr: If it is none of your business then it is none of your business.

>Is stagnating, is a sheep state, no questions, no answers, no passion for anything. You live just waiting for death.

I feel this way and I'm not happy

It can be just a matter of deffinition. I just despise the modern notion of happines. That face of accomplishment, the authority of person who finally found all the answers.

Dude, you're talking to an armchair conservative.

Limit your words to two syllables.

>don't worry
>be happy

Choice

1) Buy:

Seratonin
Oxytocin
Melatonin
Norephedrine
Phenylethylmine
Acetylcholine
Endorphins
Dopamine

2) Ingest

... 3) Be happy?

stupid thread OP anyways... idiot

The Conservatives never used to argue that we didn’t have a responsibility for each other. Their only argument was in how we did that – whether we wanted organization on a large or small scale depending on what worked. They were brilliant. They found solutions in philanthropy and public service.

Then the Conservatives were taken over by those who said we can exclude those who don’t do what we want or say. They spread lies about those in need, and made myths about those who were successful that covered up the exploitation and corruption. Now that their system has failed, their solution is to regroup into themselves and those who are too stupid to see that they are slaves.

Do you need more proof than Donald Trump? He is not even a Conservative.
Even an armchair Conservative should be able to see that.

It is hard to be happy when those around you are suffering. The solution isn't to leave the group or pull into yourself. The solution is to do something for someone else without reward.

Nu uh bro it like swaps out your consciousness man its not chemicals you swallow a magic rock that replaces your soul man

I think your view of conservatism in the past is a bit skewed and optimistic, but I'll agree that 1950-1990 conservatism was better than the crap pile we got now.

However, your argument that even armchair conservatives can see that Trump isn't a conservative... I'm not seeing it. Yeah, the GOP put some real losers up this election, but Trump beat 'em all pretty easily - even with the entire upper level party against him.

TL;DR you're giving armchair conservatives too much credit.

Also needs MAOIs

Buying drugs doing the same is more efficent and cheaper

Being happy is a state of mind. If you get rid of the things that make you sad, then being happy will come as a result of that. Unless of course you're depressed or have other types of mental illnesses

It isn't your choice how you grew up. If you put up with a lot of bullshit as a kid and it fucked you up, you can at least take solace in the fact that you had no power to change what happened to you.

You've been given a shit hand, and you can't redraw, so just play it as well as you can and hope for the best. Maybe you'll get lucky.

Perhaps. But that only means we have to exclude them, which we can't. All narratives are recursion, and everything is a story. We have to focus their rage and fear away from the story of "the other" and towards their own exploitation, and that may take a generation to accomplish.

Meanwhile, Liberals shouldn't be so blind to the exploitation and corruption in the very systems they think are helping others. The conservatives are right to doubt the intent of bureaucracies, and challenge the effectiveness and efficiency of public services, without falling for the silver bullet tropes and lies of privatization.

tell me about it...

>We have to focus their rage and fear away from the story of "the other" and towards their own exploitation, and that may take a generation to accomplish.

As long as that keeps generating votes for the right, it'll keep happening.

>Meanwhile, Liberals shouldn't be so blind to the exploitation and corruption in the very systems they think are helping others. The conservatives are right to doubt the intent of bureaucracies, and challenge the effectiveness and efficiency of public services, without falling for the silver bullet tropes and lies of privatization.

Both very true. That sort of insight doesn't play well with the media, though.

It is a tough narrative to parse, for sure. There may not be a story that will fly, but we can always make a story that is simpler and useful to be believed.
The world will be what it is, not what we want every time. People didn't learn after WW1; People kind of learned after WW2 but are forgetting.

I always go with that "Pirates of the Caribbean" quote where the only thing that matters is what can happen, not what might happen.

Even though we are always only one generation away from the stone age, you can't step in the same river twice.

I think Trump will lose in the largest loss in American history.

>Believing in free will

W E W
E
W

No, it's hard work, and even then you might not even reach

It is once you start performing metacognition, which requires self awareness. Once that happens, you can start working on yourself,thus making happiness a choice over the long term. Happiness is a result of both yourself and your environment, so as long as you have control of yourself via self awareness, you have a bit of a say in it.

Your friend was probably a depressive sack of shit. Youre changing constantly, every second of the day, so getting caught up in "This is who i am and I dont ever want to change" thing is borderline retarded. The pills that are meant to change him by making him happier are changing him into a happier person, and he just cant take it because he wants to be who he "really is", which just happens to be a sad, lazy faggot. This is retarded because he was probably a sad depressive who hates himself. Fucking depressives. The worst kind of people.