INTERNET PRIVACY GENERAL

INTERNET PRIVACY GENERAL

Is there any privacy concerns when connecting your computer directly (wired) to the router/modem of a home network?

Can the one paying the internet bill see the websites you visit?

Please respond

I NEED ASSISTANCE

>Is there any privacy concerns when connecting your computer directly (wired) to the router/modem of a home network?
A metric fuck ton.

>Can the one paying the internet bill see the websites you visit?
If you are on the same local network as anyone unencrypted internet traffic can be sniffed, they would be able to see what ip addresses you are connecting to and see the exact content you are viewing. With encrypted traffic however they could see what ip address you are connecting to, but would be unable to view the content.

tl;dr
Never use a network you don't trust.

I'm pretty sure they can only see it if the website logging is turned on but I don't think they can directly request it from the ISP.

Thanks for answers.

I'm a NEET living at home with parents. Is there any real danger still?

>unencrypted internet traffic

Is HTTPS enough? I'm using HTTPS for Cred Forums. Can the see the threads I'm browsing and posting in?

Do your parents know how to use packet sniffers, or do they know anything about networking? If yes (which I fucking doubt unless they are IT people) then you might have some concerns.

Would it be safer to connect to a home network with WiFi?

>anything about networking
Not IT tier but certainly not a novice, the "computer person" in our circle.

Https is encrypted, and http is unencrypted. Hence the acronyms; Hyper Text Transfer Protocol (http), and Hyper Text Transfer Protocol Secure (https).

No, this applies to all networks.

Thank you for the answers.

Put simply for your faggot brain:

HTTP: Cred Forums.org -> b -> thread 704623224 -> mi parents suck pls halp Cred Forums
HTTPS: Cred Forums.org -> j39soj30-svjlsdf-asgkj-20t-k-gsjfkgskg-spgkrpogkpskgpmdjkgsk#fsrkpksyfsg

Though secure is always debatable that'll most likely do.

>Not IT tier but certainly not a novice, the "computer person" in our circle.

At worst they would've setup an internet filter when you were a minor to block out offensive content, since you are an adult this isn't really an issue.

NP, just don't think this means you are untouchable online or some other dumb shit. It just means your average parent isn't going to be able to snoop on you, though why the fuck would they as you are an adult.

Odds are your parents wouldn't know how to spy on you anyway without it being something stupid and obvious like trying to put net nanny or other stupid shit on your computer. It's not like the websites you visit will be on the bill or anything. If you are that worried about it you could buy a vpn subscription or just use some free web version to encrypt your web traffic.

Makes sense. So they can see the Cred Forums.org part but not the exact pages?

Cause OP permanently lives in his own autistic world where he's successful and has made it while in reality being a NEET spiralling into suicidal tendencies in his parents basement. As a last resort they just want to get him out of the basement before he is totally lost.

Aye, see it as a lockbox in the mail vs a letter.
A postman can see the address on the letter but could also open it.
A postman can also see the address on a lockbox but is unable to open it due to the lock.

The contents remain hidden, the address is visible.

Interesting.

And why exactly, OP, would you need to know this information? Afraid your parents will find out you're the faggot we all know you are?

Mom, leave me alone. Don't you and your Chad boyfriend have alone time to make up?

No reason. Just wondering.

Checkmate.

Google Incognito Mode + HTTPS + CCleaner = ????

Now before you ask 'Can I also hide the address cause 4chinz?'; no. The postman needs to know where to deliver your CP.

Also don't trust in https versus the feds in illegal things, neeto, the receiver still knows the contents of your shit obviously.

Hiroshimoot is selling it to the highest bidder as we speak. Now get your pedo ass out of the basement and go be productive in society.

You have been very helpful, user. Thanks.

just log into your router and see what you can do

probably not much, thats what you can do without being an expert