Truly magnificent ancient military architecture. I have 100+ pics...

Truly magnificent ancient military architecture. I have 100+ pics, I'll start with about 20 to see if people are interested.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historical_thinking
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Yes. Bump

Woah, bump

Why have I never seen these before?

Keep going dude these are sweet.

I don't know?

Post more trace-Italienne.

Detail: Roman built siege ramp on the right side, still in place today.

This is awesome user.
Could you put all on a mega upload or something? This is my inspiration to why I bought land in the country.

ooogaa booga

I can't at the moment, maybe in the future. It's quite a collection. You want to build your own castle then?

Here's some inspiration, it's being built at this moment in France, with medieval techniques so it takes some time.

Dudes are like, "no one can get in here"
Romans be like, "I've got 10,000 slaves and a whole lot of buckets"
It had to suck just watching them build it for like a year knowing one day when they get there you're going to be raped and pillaged

good lord, that is like the ultimate star fort

Wow, Rust's graphics are getting really good

bump

Most of us are too fucking lazy to go anywhere else you cock. Shut up and go back to the shitty PICS U SAID U WOULDN'T SHARE, DUBS & WAIFU threads fuckhead

A detail of the cliff of San Leo

kek

Is this where the Jewish insurgents an heroed during the siege?

Yep.

That's what I'm working on now. Building a crane out if an old firetruck boom so I can lift rocks from a quarry. I'm 24 so I've got some time. It's not going to be anything big. But a couple rooms and a wall. All stone

ITT uneducated burgers who didn't know about de Vauban.
>French are surrender monkeys huehuehue!

1593 isn't really ancient.

Nice. Not to criticize, but why not buy a shit ton of old bricks?

I've been to this town multiple times. It's beautiful.

I have posted before and then said "old", so people came up with WOII bunkers and shit, that's why

Daulatabad Fort

I'm interested

Can you upload your folder?
awesome pics

Detail of Daulatabad Citadel slopes.

dahm dude

op give us a folder with it

Naarden NL

Detail of Mehrangarh walls size, compared to a touring bus. Took the pic a couple of years ago.

I bet that thing is still in use and does a fucking great job today

Sorry, can't do that at the moment
Ik dacht al dat er een NL'er bij zat

For sure there are a lot of ways to get it done faster/cheaper.
1. I want it out of stone that can't crumble (even good brick or concrete block breaks down) in the long run
2. I want large stones so it can't really be dozed ever.
Its going to be the way I want to be eternalized. I know it's silly in a way but that's the I only thing that gives me purpose in this short life

It actually does. It's a bit damaged but if you imagine that Aleppo citadel has been around from the pre gunpowder to the post nuclear time, it's actually astounding

preach

>today
non of these will be useful against modern military architecture

BASED

do you have some carcassone ?

Where are you planning on building it? Btw bricks can last hundreds of years

Of course

>in picture: over 100 ninjas

Currently in North MN. Still need to do lots of research of course, but I'm doing the basics of getting land and money to start the process.
And I'm shooting for thousands of years. It's a dream, but hey, at least it's something

It's enough for sandnigger weaponry

i'm french, and one highway come close to the city, and you can clearly see it from the car, i remember seeing it when i was a kid, it's really massiv and look so out of place it's magical

Thousands of years... That's ambitious. Anyway, I'd like to join in when my midlife crisis kicks in someday

god, imagine serving on such a fortress:
chef guy on top: he you, bring the men on the lowest wall some water.
all the 100 m down and up again.
now bring them food.
down and up
down and up...
must make you really fit.

Walk past this everyday on my way to work.

Those Plantagenet angles are beautiful.

Keep it coming OP. These are great.

Thanks, I was about to stop

Feel free. Drive your mid life crisis car up and you can help. By then you should be able to find me by then as I'll make local news at least lol

Thanks for the dump OP. I needed these for describing Forts in D&D.

That was my thought exactly.

You're welcome

nice, i live in that city...

Please dont!

Underground castle plans

Been there only 2 months ago.

>ancient
>posts picture of sconces

jesus fucking christ, you need help:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historical_thinking

For those interested why star forts were invented in the first place: after the introduction of gunpowder, there was a shift in defensive thinking. From then on solid stone walls were less effective, so they created earthen walls with triangular shapes and used cannons as main line of defense.
>pic related

Your opinion means nothing to me.

moar!

Gate system at Konigstein, final gate disappears into a long sloping cave/tunnel with multiple gates and portcullises

>ancient
Bourtange fortification are from 1960's

>hating
>not contributing

OP is not a fag

I think I'm gonna do some groceries guys, starting to get hungry

Used to live right near there, dude I knew had an aunt who lived on the island.

Not only is it a badass cathedral built on a rock in the middle of the sea but the salt flats around it are so flat that when the tide comes back in it's faster than a galloping horse.

Good luck sieging that bullshit.
10/10 zombie hideout.

>pyjama castle

hell yeah

Thanks user. And I look forward to your help in a few decades

Thanks user. And I look forward to your help in a few decades

I'm in. All the other threads suck anyway.

Cheers mate.

I will watch the news...
Thanks

You're late, user.

Its a Star of David.

dicks out for Salah ad-Din!

First pic looks like a fortress in civ v created by a great general

No, it's a Star Fort, designed to provided covering fire for multiple kill-zones.

l2military.

See

No its a Star of David, so that where the jooos will go there. U r in denial about it cause u h8 jews.

>you'll never build an awesome fortress to defend your homeland from invaders

I hate my life.

Ayyy i was here just a bit ago. Bourtange is beautiful

Its a Star of David man can't you see that?

>Constantinople

Istanbul*

fixed it for you, mate.

One of my ancestors died there

Back then it was Constantinople tho

I remember seeing that castle, I took a pic of my sister with the castle in the background and asked her to do the same, SHE FUCKING MISSED THE CASTLE, how can somebody not get the castle and me in the same picture!!!!! I raged so hard when to pictures came out back home. Still pissed about it today.

(we didn't have a fancy camera with a display)

ibiza?

check out this guy

Zozzle

alpha centauri

Thank you OP

thanks, I was wondering

It didnt stop de germans fam

same castle, 1/12

protip: no one gives a shit about a picture of you posing in front of a distant castle no one has ever heard of and can barely see

2/12

3/12

4/12

5/12

6/12

I'm interested.

7/12

8/12

9/12

10/12

11/12

Orvieto!

12/12

The only non cancerous thread on Cred Forums

checked

Best post in this thread

nice for a change, it hasn't been one for quite some time

nice trips, thank you for posting user
would love to see what it looked like in its prime

holy shit, these stairs.

Greece is full of castles but only a handfull are in pristine condition, search for Rhode castle, methoni castle, Palamidi, Monemvasia, A nice example of fortifications are the old walls of Nicosia in cyprus as well.

Checked

Yep, it was almost certainly terrible. Because all of the 960 defenders of the fortress committed suicide. Well, technically they took turns killing each other, supposedly obly one guy committed suicide which is against Judaism. I thought murder was too, but that is the story, I just go with it.

The only thing worse might have been Tyre. Alexander the Great built a goddamn bridge to the foot of the fortress and then laid siege to it with two giant siege towers. During the initial battles the defenders of Tyre captured some Macedonian troops and executed them on the walls so the Macedonian army could see. Once Alexander got into the walls his army committed wholesale slaughter. Only the people who took refuge in a holy temple were spared. But 2000 people were crucified on the beach. Alexander didn't fucking play, and the people of Tyre saw the "demon king" coming for quite a long time.

>the "Tower of London"
>not a tower in sight

Montezuma's Castle, Verde Valley, AZ ?

Please OP, will you upload as a single file to megaupload or something, so I don't have to click and save everyone of them?
I absolutely love this stuff!
Great thread.

I just did. took less than 15 minutes.

Working on it

Oh, nice. Thank you man :)

you'z bout to encounter A LOT of castles kek. Like I said, I saved every single one.

fuck off

OP here (back from groceries), apparently someone else is also uploading. I have uploaded the first batch, but upload limit was reached quite fast. I will leave it to the other guy

kek

I love castles.
Found out there once was one a couple kilometres fom my home in denmark.
There is no more, but maybe I can find some old coins there when I buy a metal detector.

Btw I have only posted ~75% of the collection here, but I guess it's enough for now

I bet that thing got bombed into the ground by the IS because of a non-IS history.

oh good, what'd you get me? Yea, I am not the one who was requesting the megaupload, but I did enjoy the thread and I did click and save each one, 1 by 1, they all cool to me bro

now that's sweet

i like this one

Cause there are thousands of ruined forts from the thousands of years of world history you know nothing about.

Going there later this year.

Dude. Don't say that. Now i'm a dissapoint.
When will you post more?

Feminazi's
> I demand you put in a lift/elevator
> Not letting fat ugly people see the top is discrimination!
> I don't care if you have to ruin the beauty and wonder for everyone else!

You're welcome mate

what is Aleppo?

Pretty good idea to be honest. Would love to do something similar.
But land is expensive, building too.

fuckin turkroaches

Haha sorry man, another time. If you've saved every last one this far, you have gathered the best of the best already. Only Krak des Chevaliers is missing, I had a good pic but apparently the file was corrupted so couldn't upload and too lazy to search a new one

Oh, ok. But thanks man, this is gold! So awe-inspiring!

No problem, will post a few more because of your enthusiasm

thanks man :D

This fortress never was conquered btw.
The only person who climbed the wall was a chimney sweeper in 1848.

The original cheval de frise belonging to this one. Imagine running through those things

How did you gather all of these?

I like they are all piss wet though, like an added, fuck you, these are not just long in the face of a rock, but their slippery fuckers too.
Whose ready to invade lads?

Flat area on top was to sit the dragon riders, waiting for the right time to fly down.

>
avignon?

I've visited it last year, I've seen a lot of fortresses but this one is definitely in my top 5, it was very impressive.
Just Googling the best images I could find, over months I guess, just when I was bored. Some I've visited, others are still on the list

Imagine walking up in rainy season. Fuck I can't comprehend I have extra pictures for every detail haha
Yes

good god i am so impressed with hardcore buildings and intelligent creative driven endeavors btw i have not traveled much

That would suck ass to be a laborer building this

Well, that's it for now, hope you enjoyed.

cool.
I remember as a kid, when I were on vacation vith my parents and my brother and we went to different castles on our way through europe in the summers. Great memories. I was awestruck by the magnificence of these places.

Dubrovnik aka Kings Landing

Castle del Monte c 1300

Im liking this

This is Hammershus, on the island of Bornholm in Denmark. Visited it several times when I was a kid.
It's northern europe's biggest casle ruin. It's amazing.

And another view
There is a museum there also, with its history and detailed models of how it looked.

You are just mad because muricans don't have cool castles.

would totally live here, looks comfy as fuck

Been there. It's pretty awesome. There's still a strong military presence there because the nation of Islam refuses to ever let it fall into enemy hands ever again. Kinda spooky, in a "crazy zealots" kind of way.

Thanks I. Really enjoyed and appreciated it.

Graag gedaan.

Its really impressive if you stand in front of it. Nothing to see until you reach the very end of the valley

Best thread, thanks OP

She was in use for almost 500 years continuously.

>I've visited it last year
where are you from?

More yes

Netherlands

I am not a star wars fan but I have to say that I am a little bit sad not seeing the death star

Where's Neuschwanstein Castle? I know it's not ancient or Medieval, but you included Hohenzollern which is nearby and around the same age.

Son I am disappoint.

The ones on the bottom would be bringing shit up to the top, not the other way round

One ship full of cannons and that thing is toast... maybe from a time before naval prowess.

Is there a just cause to building like this?

Egeskov castle, Denmark

there you go OP
that's Sveti Nikola aka Saint Nicholas
in Šibenik, Croatia

Walled city, it's tradition man, for protection. Read history.

>Because forts can't shoot back

Nice place for a holiday!
That's my country!

Thanks for sharing OP - pic limit!

this one looks sick
dunno why, but it does

I actually live very near this, beautiful

>one floating wooden thing of 50 meters in length max. versus 1 stone tower tens of meters high, walls several meters thick, packed with cannons and oh yes, a giant fort behind it.
>not sure if troll

edinburgh?

This used to be a place for techno/trance parties but city decided to turn it into tourist attraction, renovations should start this year

cannot help - that one looks painted

zozzle

Dog ikke op der har postet det.

no need to siege, just position a few men on the bridge and watch them all starve to death

Nåeh, jam' det er da klart.
Så var det også dig med Hammershus?

Ja det var ;)
Syntes lige jeg ville byde ind.

the nation of islam is an african american organization...
and muslims didn't control the site in the first place, jews did, in an era when muslims didn't even exist

>starve someone to death, with a few men
>while living on a stone bridge surrounded by sea, in the wind
>sieging a giant towering mountain fort in front of you, whose inhabitants are right in front of you within a minute
>a mountain fort with sea all around it, supplied by ships
The tactical mind of some people

Godt initiativ - for det var s'gu en go' tråd.

Awesome thread

why India toruist sites misinform, that Mehrangarh ever was involved in a battle?

there has never been a battle for the fort.

attack on titan

Protection agains invaders. Mostly invasions from muslims.

>The imprints of cannonball hits by attacking armies of Jaipur can still be seen on the second gate (wikipedia)

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▀▄░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▀░░░▀▄░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░▄▀░░░░▄▀█░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░▄▀░░░░▄▀░▄▀░▄▀▄░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░▄▀░░░░▄▀░▄▀░▄▀░░░▀▄░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░█▀▄░░░░▀█░▄▀░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░
░░░▄▀▄░▀▄░▀▄░░░░▀░░░░▄█▄░░░░▀▄░░░
░▄▀░░░▀▄░▀▄░▀▄░░░░░▄▀░█░▀▄░░░░▀▄░
░█▀▄░░░░▀▄░█▀░░░░░░░▀█░▀▄░▀▄░▄▀█░
░▀▄░▀▄░░░░▀░░░░▄█▄░░░░▀▄░▀▄░█░▄▀░
░░░▀▄░▀▄░░░░░▄▀░█░▀▄░░░░▀▄░▀█▀░░░
░░░░░▀▄░▀▄░▄▀░▄▀░█▀░░░░▄▀█░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░▀▄░█░▄▀░▄▀░░░░▄▀░▄▀░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░▀█▀░▄▀░░░░▄▀░▄▀░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░░█▀▄░▄▀░▄▀░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀▄░█░▄▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀█▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░

You would be surprised I think. Every fort I've ever been to (only American Civil War era) didn't have elevators or anything. If you wanted to get on the battlements, there were stairs. Narrow winding stone and earth passageways, uneven ground because of the tracks for the supply carts. They keep shit authentic.

Even went to the USS Yorktown which is now a museum. You could go to the lower decks to see the authentic crew living quarters and stuff, down the insanely narrow and steep staircases, the same ones WW2 sailors used. Really cool.

when it's high tide the bridge is under water.

Cause of Bura

Goodbye best thread - I shall miss you.

I've never really like the design of the Kroot Warspheres.

No, it is missing X games ships.