How smart is Cred Forums?

How smart is Cred Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boy_or_Girl_paradox
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

It's 0.33.

The important thing here is that the coins are both flipped at the same time, and you're only told the result afterwards.
Therefore we have 4 scenarios:

1) 00
2) 01
3) 11
4) 10

The only scenario in which both coins are 1 is number 3.

Even if you're told ONE of them is heads, scenarios 2 and 4 are still on the table.

Therefore you have 3 possible scenarios where one coin is heads and the second is tails, and only one scenario where they're both heads. 1/3 = 0.33.

/thread

Im just going to say 50%

It would only be 50% if the second coin is flipped AFTER you're told the first one is heads.

In that case the flipping of the second coin would be a completely separate stochastic process and the first coin being heads would have absolutely no influence on it.

This is different.

The trick here is that the coin flipper guy has 3 options where ONE of the two coins is heads.

It doesn't matter to him whether it's the first coin that was heads, or the second.

bumperoo

> both flipped at the same time,
> the same time

It says 2 coins are flipped.

50% or pic related.

this is retarded

Not very.

This is correct.

>sample space

I don't get the joke, I mean I get the joke but not the joke within the joke the stick man was trying to tell

This

Statistics sometimes go a bit against common sense and we have hard time accepting the real probabilities due to the way our brains work

>What is in between X and Y?
X T Y
"T?"
>NO LOL IT'S "AND" SEE? I SAID "What is in between X and Y?"

>he can't flip two coins at once

Sorry about your missing hand bro.

The problem is this kind of questions fire up the part of our brain that think "this guy is trying to scam me somehow".

The answer could be either 1/3rd or 1/2, both answers are equally correct in this case because OP is a faggot for posting such a poorly worded question that's designed to create arguments

100% because all you're doing is flipping it. Now if you were to toss or throw the coin.....

Except you're wrong. Scenario 2 is not on the table since we're told that one landed heads already, the options are

3) 11
4) 10

So it's 50/50

It's not poorly worded.

It says that two coins WERE flipped.

It then asks what the probability is of them both having landed heads, given that you now know at least one of them did.

The answer is 1/3.

The second coin was thrown BEFORE you were told that

>ONE

>of the coins

was head.

Nowhere does it say that the FIRST was head.

Let me simplify it for you. Imagine you threw both coins at the same time. One lands on the table in front of you and the other is on the floor.
>Given that at least one is heads
The one on the table is heads, so the chance of the other being heads also is 50/50. When they were flipped means diddly squat.

No, it is a purposefully ambiguous question and both 1/2 and 1/3 are correct, look up the boy or girl paradox which is basically the same question

33.33%... easy

/thread

Stupid faggot...where does it say that it was a specific coin that landed on heads? Let me simplify it for you...a friend of yours flips two coins, both of which you can't see, and tells you that at least one is heads. Then you look at and realize why you fail at math.

There are more than 4 scenarios

25‰ ya dicks

jesus christ you are dumb...

this user used the right example and owned your ass

Perfect example.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boy_or_Girl_paradox

Here you go

the question is worded poorly. it doesn't specify whether the second coin is flipped after the first one lands heads, or whether both are flipped simultaneously.

It doesn't say which of the coins is the given head you dense motherfucker.

It could be either the one on the table or the one on the floor.

And no, you can't know how the one on the table came out because nobody fucking told you.

by definition

P(both are heads | one is head) = P(both are heads) / P(one is head) = 1/4 / 3/4 = 1/3

It makes no difference.
The question is asked in the present.
It asks what the probability IS, not what the probability WAS.

The flipping took place in the past, because LANDED, they aren't LANDING or ABOUT TO LAND.

Therefore even if the coins were launched at separate times it makes no difference to the reader, because from their perspective both events still happened in the past and they cannot know which one of the two coins is the "given".

>mfw I have to explain english to a bunch of americans when it's not even my first language

probability doesnt exist , satan already decided how they will land

I can't even tell if you guys are just stupid or trolling anymore. Either way it makes me angry that Asians are going to beat us to Mars because you're either busy wasting our time or you're just a waste.