Looking for some PC building advice!

Looking for some PC building advice!
I already built a system once but this is my first time upgrading any significant components.
I bought my GTX 670 2GB in 2012 and it's starting to show its age now (I only game at 1080p). I have a very limited budget and I am looking for the best bang for my buck. My best options seem to be:

1. Buy another GTX 670 and SLI that shit. I didn't do my homework but I have a 750w powersupply. Cost about $250 after taxes, fees, shipping.

2. Buy a GTX 960 and basically let my 670 rot in a desk drawer. Cost about $250-270.

Keep in mind I'm in Canada and our dollar really sucks right now.

Other urls found in this thread:

logicalincrements.com/
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125879&cm_re=GTX_1060-_-14-125-879-_-Product
legitreviews.com/sapphire-nitro-radeon-rx-480-4gb-video-card-review_184553/8
eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-doom-vulkan-patch-shows-game-changing-performance-gains
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

buy 1060 at christmas or check for old 970s at christmas, especially when theyre starting to be given out for rlly cheap

#2. Also logicalincrements.com/

Don't do SLI. Especially with an older card like that.

Getting the 960 is the better option, but honestly you should wait and save more until you can get a 1060 because it is significantly more powerful.

One powerful GPU will ALWAYS be better than 2mediocre GPUs in SLI or crossfire.

Sell 670, buy used 970, they can go for 160ish USD.

GTX680 owner here.
I would recommend to switch to the 10XX series. Provides Nvidia Shadowplay, Direct X12 compatiblity, etc.
I for myself have enough power for witcher3 in 1080p maxed setting 40~50 fps but GTX 670 might be too weak for that already.

This, 10xx series is great

Same, I play witcher 3 on Ultra with high resolution mods and reshade and will hit 80-110fps with a 1080sc

also, SLI/xfire is only well optimized for AAA games, so take into consideration if you are an indie gamer

You play in 1080p if you have a GTX 1080? Are you serious?

Do the 960. It's fucking great on a budget. Make sure you get the EVGA model for maximum cooling though. Play just about everything 60fps on 1080. Really good card.

Screw that I play in 480p

Some games the 960 allows me to play on high:

GTA 5
Witcher 3
War Thunder

For an example.

OP here, i definitely like to play indie games and community mods

Which OS should I get and where?

>1. Buy another GTX 670 and SLI that shit. I didn't do my homework but I have a 750w powersupply. Cost about $250 after taxes, fees, shipping.

For 250 bucks, just get a 1060. It will perform far better than that SLI and will use less power. Also the 600 series has very minimal DX12 support, whereas Pascal has the latest and greatest.

TLDR:
Get a GTX 1060 for 250 bucks.

This is the 1060 I got:

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125879&cm_re=GTX_1060-_-14-125-879-_-Product

It's the 6GB version for 250 with an awesome cooler.

Do you need to do anything special when switching graphics cards? Or is it as simple as taking it out, putting the new one in and installing drivers?

Yeah, you'll want to stay away from SLI then. I have to upright disable it many times. I even had to disable it for left for dead 2, which surprised me.

I upgraded from a 660 SLI to a 1060 last week and all I did was swap out the cards, download the recommended driver from NVIDIA's website and it's worked great ever since.

Uninstall the driver with DDU, then just swap cards and clean install the new drivers

Not really, just make sure if it has any AUX power, it gets plugged in, and no cables are impeding the fans.

RX 470 and OC that card until its under maximum temperatures the chipset can handle without burning out your card (roughly gtx 1060 perfomance).
Please note that a GTX 960 sli could do the exact same perfomance as the OC'D RX 470 but uses twice as much power.

Gonna have to disagree here since there is a 3GB 1060 for the same price which you could also OC. I just generally think AMD runs a bit too warm and the drivers can be a little sketch.

AMD temps have gotten a lot better along with their drivers

(citation needed)

I wanna believe, truly. Just gonna need to see some proof.

Agreed, I did fuck up a bit on the GTX 960 SLI shit though it would be 75% as good as the sli (which is not bad)

If you are on a budget, get the Rx 470 for 170 bucks on Jet or Rx 480 for 210, use code TRIPLE15, and once you proceed to check out it will lower the price by like 40-50 bucks before you confirm it. The RX 480 let me run every game I tried on 60 FPS max settings, and the RX 470 is not that far behind the 480. I have been an nvidia user for as long as I remember and recently made the switch after the disgusting pricing on the 1070. Those two cards are perfect for 1080p bro and the best bang for your buck.

The new Polaris gpus (480) are much more efficient and cool, and the Crimson drivers have a lot less overhead in games, especially in DX12 and Vulkan

legitreviews.com/sapphire-nitro-radeon-rx-480-4gb-video-card-review_184553/8

eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-doom-vulkan-patch-shows-game-changing-performance-gains

Sell 670 for like $70
Save for 10xx

Sell 670 and buy the cheapest 6gb 1060

>That you obviously forgot DirectX 12 because nvidia cards are shit for future proof PCs or in general.