If God doesn't exist then how come the mass of a black hole is binding light when we know that photons have no mass and...

If God doesn't exist then how come the mass of a black hole is binding light when we know that photons have no mass and the gravity has no influence on them.

Christians: 1
Atheists: 0

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/Ng1X8mPJziA
journals.aps.org/prl/abstract/10.1103/PhysRevLett.111.033601
quora.com/Can-a-photon-be-slowed-down-to-less-than-the-speed-of-light-in-vacuum-conditions
physicsworld.com/cws/article/news/2015/jan/22/structured-photons-slow-down-in-a-vacuum
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spacetime
gla.ac.uk/news/headline_388852_en.html
bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-30944584
rt.com/news/225879-light-speed-slow-photons/
youtube.com/watch?v=7eCbV0EVlUA
qntm.org/destroy
coldcasechristianity.com/2014/is-there-any-evidence-for-jesus-outside-the-bible/
quora.com/What-does-it-mean-for-a-particle-like-a-photon-to-have-a-rest-mass-of-zero
books.google.ch/books?id=RPZFBQAAQBAJ&pg=PA370&lpg=PA370&dq=quantum electrodynamics photon rest mass&source=bl&ots=gz737R_HLY&sig=g2rAumKP0-3PnDQ1U2pvqqhDSH4&hl=de&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi0i-65663PAhUGuhQKHV_sAEoQ6AEIXjAI#v=onepage&q=quantum electrodynamics photon rest mass&f=false
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

How comes the sun is round when it is a star?

Because photons do have mass you colossal fuck tard.

Photons have energy. Energy is equal to mass times the speed of light squared.
>E=mc^2

/Thread.
Goodnight, Christian b8

>I don't know therefore god.

Clearly it's the black hole pixies using their magic to attract photons.

If sun is a star how can it revolve around earth?

Christians: 666

My dick is so big it's bending space and time right now
Atheists: 1

/thread

>kill yourself christian fuck

Why do so-called Christians want to fuck with non-Christians when Jesus Christ himself said "Don't do that."

Dubs of truth

How comes the fucking plants are growing towards the sky when there is gravity?

Christians: 3

No they don't, but it's not mass that warps space time, it's energy density.

>physics fag here.

Photons do have energy so they are both effected by space time, and warp it.

In high enough concentration you could even make a black hole by focusing enough light into one spot. That's how a Kugleblitz is built.

>Gravity has no effect on light
Nigger that is straight up wrong, read a book once in a while.

Go read the bible

If God Exists, how come he's not Visible?

Christians: 0

OP...

/thread
Everyone can leave now.

If God exists, then how come OP is a faggot?

Damn, nigger got wrecked by Einstein and a kugelblitz. Fuckin science

Black holes create a distortion in space-time which "bends" space around them. Light travels in a straight line, which follows the curvature in the "bent" space around the black hole.
Learn some physics newfags

Christians: -1
Atheist: +1

Kek'd my pants

You've intellectually cucked your own mind.

gg fag

why do people believe in atheism. r u telling me ur not going to be sweating bullets, hoping for an afterlife when ur on the verge of death. gimme a break.

If god doesn't exist then which came first, the chicken or the egg?

no, I wont break any sweat. In fact, existing for an eternity seems rather boring to me.

Go ahead and kill yourself then splerglord

>ye olde faggot, too fucking gormless to face death without his imaginary faggot master

Well if your reason for believing in an afterlife is fear of death then you have no idea whether there is an afterlife or not. You've just announced that you're afriad of death, not that anything actually happens after you die.

Mine too. Crossing swords will result in a black hole were we both will enter

Learn to Science. That is not how black holes work.

why should I? I am living my life to the fullest and I'm enjoying it. A life is something precious to me, not something to throw away.

It obviously the chicken you degenerate.

>evolution happens
>Some organism resembling a chicken gives birth
>the thing that comes out have all the characteristics of a chicken
>gives birth to a hard shell egg instead of that lizard like softshelled shits
>chicken came first

Logic: 1

>If god doesn't exist then which came first, the chicken or the egg?

Chickens evolved from dinosaurs...
doesn't mean that (a) "God" didn't have anything to do with it... just sayin'...

nah fags it was anime which came first and that gave birth to japs and who are the creators of the human race

Yeah but dinosaurs laid eggs, which came first, the dinosaur or the egg?

>If God doesn't exist then how come the mass of a black hole is binding light when we know that photons have no mass and the gravity has no influence on them.

Wtf imply?

What about the Helium, Hydrogen, Calcium, Oxygen, and finally Iron that are cooked up in the core of a Star before becoming a black hole. Only Type II SuperNovas will create a black hole due to the core collapse. The Core of the star is literally all IRON and has WIEGHT and GRAVITY!! Fucking Moron!!!

>kugelbiltz
Nigger that's science fiction

>Yeah but dinosaurs laid eggs, which came first, the dinosaur or the egg?

The dinosaur...
it's not really that difficult a question, is it?

they evolved from other creatures you fag do you know what that means

>That's how a Kugleblitz is built
>Kugleblitz is built
>is built
mfw

how cum?
photon is not infinite 2d thus has mass
over 20lbs

>space time

Young person detected

Photons DO have mass. And photons can exert force on a material. Miniscule and barely measurable but still real.

Then why is iron man's photon cannon so strong? Fucking retard

It uses photons to ionize and direct particles.

Perhaps, because the curvative of space around massive object makes the "gravity lens", and not the gravity binding photons.

>photons don't have mass
youtu.be/Ng1X8mPJziA

because we live in a VR program

photons do not have rest mass -- but they do have relativistic momentum.

E=mc^2 ONLY applies to objects with a rest mass. Photons do not have a rest mass (since they always move at c in all frames of reference). Photons DO have momentum from their -relativistic- mass. This is not the same as rest mass.

It's Occam razor.

BECAUSE THE VALUE OF PI CHANGES AS GRAVITY INCREASES OR DECREASES IN A REGION OF SPACE.
THAT IS TO SAY THAT THE ACCELERATION IMPARTED BY GRAVITY CAUSES TIME IN GRAVITATED SPACE TO SLOW DOWN.
LIGHT ENTERING SPACE WITH SLOWED TIME TAKES LONGER TO PASS THROUGH.
THIS RESULTS IN A CURVED PATH COMPARED TO LIGHT THAT IS NOT SLOWED.
TLDR GRAVITY WARPS SPACE.

LRN 2 RELATIVITY NOOB.
PIC TOTALY RELATED

If you can't put it in terms a laymen would understand you don't understand it that well yourself.

Why has many religious institutions changed over the centuries from dismissing science to now embracing science, when science was shunned and not in their holy book?

And why do followers of said religion follow blindly over the centuries when their religions is constantly shown to be a lie.

Say my name Bastion!

dude, i am a physicist. whatever. The formula is...
E^2 = (m^2)(c^4) + (p^2)(c^2)
If you then consider the case of an object at rest in your reference frame (this means light/photons are NOT considered), then the momentum, p, is equal to 0.
E^2 = (m^2)(c^4) + (0^2)(c^2)
E^2 = (m^2)(c^4) + 0(c^2)
E^2 = (m^2)(c^4) + 0
E^2 = (m^2)(c^4)
E=mc^2
And this is the special case for objects with rest mass, objects that aren't moving with respect to you in your reference frame, objects that aren't light/photons which must always move at c.
And now you know.

This is a nice thought exercise but dimensions are a human concept.

If it's "two dimensional" how is it bending like that? Why are those Egyptians standing still instead of falling towards the well? Where is their gravity well?

How do you check your work? What is your margin of error?

ITS A METAPHOR FOR HIGHER DIMENSIONS SHOWING HOW "CURVED SPACE" CAN BE A CONSEQUENCE OF HIGHER DIMENSIONAL TOPOLOGY.
THE INCREASED AREA DUE TO THE 2D PEOPLE STANDING IN A BOWEL SHAPE IS AN ANALOGY FOR INCREASED TIME IN A GRAVITATED REGION OF SPACE (I.E. AREA = TIME IN THIS METAPHOR).
IT IS EXACTLY THE SAME CONCEPT - LIGHT HAS LARGER AREA OF TIME TO CROSS SO IT'S PATH GETS BENT EXACTLY AS MY PIC RELATED IN ORIGINAL POST.

SO SIMPLE.

kek

>How do you check your work?
That's what grad students are for.
>What is your margin for error?
Zero. Because I am in pure mathematics now.

I would agree expect to say that area=distance but it means the same thing. Above and below, one and zero.

In other words, you can't check your work because those numbers don't correspond to anything. I'd love to hear your thoughts on dark matter and energy.

>effected
Stopped reading there.

Are you retarded? Did you have biology on highschool?

Gravity does have influence on light. But light travels so fast that it has almost no observable effect on it

Hoping for an after life and knowing there is one are two different things. I could hope I win a million dollars in the lottery but I know the odds are very very small

Science fags - is time travel plausible? If so, are multiple/infinite universes plausible? If so, is infinite material creation plausible?

Whoa ... of course the numbers correspond to something .. they correspond to observations. If you're going to veer off into philosophy of truth, that's too far off topic for me.

Dark matter and dark energy are just observations we have of something going on that doesn't fit our standard models. We see orbits that are faster than expected for their distance to a central body, and we can't figure out why, so we call it dark matter, because we can't see it.
We've looked for WIMPs (can't find em), and MACHOs (found some, but not enough). My thought is we accept our investigations as valid, that there aren't any WIMPs to account for the extra gravity, and there aren't any MACHOs.
So where does that leave us? Geometry. We need to re-examine topological explanations. There's been some recent Italian experiments that have worked out some 5-dimensional solutions for black holes, for example. A straight line is a shorter distance than a curved space line, right? And if gravity is able to interact along a shorter, straight line -- instead of being constrained to a longer curved 3d spacetime that we measure, then that could account for the observations.
Go where the data leads you.

>photons have no mass and gravity has no influence on them
Than why does light from sun fall towards Earth?

>Christians: 0
>Atheists: 1

Not a science fag but I did read somewhere that time travel in theory is possible but only in going forward and not back in time

Terrible argument

SMALL THINGS TIME TRAVEL. PARTICLES CAN INTERACT WITH THEMSELVES IN THE PAST.

INF MATERIAL - NO

INF UNIVERSES - WHO CARES

CAN CONFIRM, AM DOING IT NOW

they came from fish, which came from eggs. Which came first, the fish or the egg?

>sweating bullets,
That doesnt make god more real tho.
Or more probable

>If God doesn't exist then how come the mass of a black hole is binding light when we know that photons have no mass and the gravity has no influence on them.
fucking idiot. just because you're too lazy to read stephen hawkings brief history of time you rather start a thread.
fuck you.
science is too complicated, right? join isis and buttfuck each other. they struggle with science too.

Well i guess I couldn't been clearer on that. Moving faster in time relative to say everyone on earth

Again, not a science fag

Oh look, it's Kent Hovind.

That's true. It's called walking

Photons have mass, and gravity affects them, therefor your point is worthless.

But I also believe in God, so whatever.

SURE EVERYONE WHO DOESN"T LIVE BY A MOUNTAIN EXPERIENCES TIME FASTER THAN THOSE WHO DO BECAUSE MOUNTAINS HAVE MORE GRAVITY THAN SAY THE OCEAN.
GPS SATELLITES HAVE TO HAVE THEIR TIME CORRECTED BECAUSE THEY ARE IN LESS GRAVITY SO TIMES GOES FASTER ON THE SATELLITE.
TO US THE GPS SATELLITE IS TIME TRAVELING FORWARD IN RELATION TO OURSELVES.

If aspies believe in a God, then why dont they also believe in Santa Clause, easter bunny, Jack frost, etc?

Christians 0
Atheists 1

>Photons have mass
NAH BRO, NAH.
MOMENTUM ISNT MASS BRO.

But gravity does influence light.

That is because you can compare the number of people winning the lottery against the number of participants.

You can't do this with afterlife you colossal faggot

Christfags 0
Atheists 0
Me 1

because photons have weight. to us humans, almost nihil. but a lot of photons together has mass. photons are energy, and energy = mass.

christians don't know science.

Dude if photons had mass complex life would not exist as we know it.

If God isn't real then why can I hear voices in my head?

Religion: 1
Atheist: 0

If you are indeed a physics fags you should know this
Photons have and don't have mass. Iv read a couple of studies and they all point that photons have no resting mass, but when they move they have mass.
Hence the rest mass of an object is the mass it has when its velocity is zero. Photons or the 'particles of light' are never at rest and travel at the speed of light. Relativity also states that the speed of light can never be attained by a particle. So in a sense the term mass doesn't apply to a photon.

Gravity influences spacetime which gets curved and light is stuck in the same space time we are. Hence if it is bent by a large mass we are also bent by the same mass and don't see it as light turning a corner.

>because photons have weight.
NAH BRO. THINGS WITH MASS WILL ATRACK OTHER THINGS WITH MASS, FUNNY HOW PHOTONS DO NOT ATRACKT PHOTONS VIA GRAVITY, OH WAIT ITS NOT, BECAUSE ELECTROMAGNETIC FIELD ENERGY HAS NO MASS.
>but a lot of photons together has mass
NO. THEY HAVE MOMENTUM.

There is the theory that for the sake of argument, if there is an afterlife, you would be outside of the spectrum of time. Therefore "eternity" wouldn't feel like an eternity per se

Kek

>If God exists then how come the mass of a black hole is binding light when we know that photons have no mass and the gravity has no influence on them.

God is real. However, Jesus was NOT god. Jesus was gods son. He sent Jesus here to atone for Adam and eve's sins. If Jesus was god, how was the ransom ever paid? The Bible clearly states that there must be a ransom to make up for the sins of Adam. A HUMAN ransom. Also, if Jesus was god then who was he praying to in the our father? If Jesus was god then the ransom was never paid, therefore, none of us can talk to god.

Black holes are nothing but nigger anuses
Christians 0
Atheists 0
Niggers who can bend light 1

>Relativity also states that the speed of light can never be attained by a particle.
NOT BY A PARTICLE BUT BY BARYONIC MATTER.

Hero

wrong wrong wrong.
that's not how evolution works you fuckwit.
also the egg came first, since eggs existed waaaay before chickens existed.

Wrong, the egg came first. The previous creature before the chicken layed the egg that had the mutated "chicken" in it.
Thus the very first chicken egg, which eventually opened up and had a chicken inside.
The egg chicken came before the chicken, the creature that layed the chicken egg, was not a chicken.

How come the sky is blue, but if you are like 50km high, it is dark?

post that creation was godmade?
you get the religious atheo sharia ites throwing IEDs atya,inevitable,,stop flagellating yourself

If God isn't real, then why are women as worthless as the bible says they are

Christfags: 9001

It doesn't say a human ransom, if this were true Israelites would have been sacrificing humans instead of sheep's and shit.

You are literally the biggest retarded piece of ass that has ever had the audacity to stay alive fuck you hou imcomprehensible faggot. Man could not pay the ransom because we were imperfect, how about we pay in euros and not in ruppis? So thats why a perfect being had to pay the ransom which is jesus you colossal piece of waste fucking die you breathing piece of excrement

>Hey science can't explain this right now so its obviously god

This is how we viewed problems for a while.

We called that period of history the dark ages. It had 2 plagues and was unanimously the worst period of history to live in.

You are a shit troll.

triggered cause hes goin to hell lol

Don't get hung up on the terminology, we're all saying the same thing.

whoa whoa ... you replied to the wrong person. I am the pro science physics guy.

because black holes are theoretical you fucking mong

but pretty good bait apparently

Jesus was a bodhisattva and the people around him struggled to understand the things he said. The religion was made from his followers, not jesus himself. He was god's child, each of us is.

Dark ages? How about ALL AGES before modern science.

Literally everything humans don't understand is a credit to god right up until the moment we understand it.

And since there will always be new things to discover, there will always be annoying theists using god to explain them.

>BARYONS
>MASS

No mass, but that's what the Higgs boson field is therefore. Otherwise at the speed an electron is moving, it wouldn't be able to stay in orbit. Lrn2 science. (Higgs field also effects photons, electrons are just easier to picture the effect)

The religion was made by people that came hundreds of years after jesus supposedly existed.

Even the Gospels which were written by his supposed followers were written 100 years after jesus supposedly died. If the apostles actually wrote those, they would have not yet been born when he died.

There's no roman records of jesus, or any of the events described in the new testament, which is highly unusual as romans were meticulous about keeping records of large events like this.

All signs point to: the story is completely made up, the jesus of the bible never existed in any context.

While you're at this whole "learning" thing.. learn that AFFECT and EFFECT are very different thing and both have a noun and a verb form.

You used it wrong.

Are you retarded? Did you not have baitology in highschool?

>finds something completely irrelevant that cannot yet be explained by science

GOD DID IT

>Kugleblitz

You're confusing science fiction with theoretical physics.

I can see how you can get confused, as a pleb, the main difference is, theoretical physics require rock solid math and science to back it up. Science fiction does not.

>Relativity also states that the speed of light can never be attained by a particle

A photon IS a particle, asshat. Relativity states that nothing with positive mass can attain speed of light because it would require an infinite amount of energy

>photons don't have mass, but they have momentum
>momentum = mass*velocity

Ooooookay buddeh

Because it travels through spacetime which is warped by gravity.

Pleb detected

space-time:
noun PHYSICS
the concepts of time and three-dimensional space regarded as fused in a four-dimensional continuum.

Photons only move at c in a vacuum. A photon traveling through our atmosphere and/or through a liquid like water travels slower than c.

because of the extreme heat generated by the friction of photons coming into direct contact with mass

how is that related to superstition?

The egg came first. The egg was a mutant off spring which came from a fish-like organism.

Of course everyone is scared of death.

however logic and reason prevent me from believing in Santa Clause, no matter how nice it would be to get all those presents on christmas.

But how did it reproduce? Asexually?

>momentum
cept for a photon its energy and direction

False. A photon always travels at c, period. The observed "slower speed" is because there is a delay time between when a photon hits a particle and when that particle subsequently emits a photon. So over trillions of atoms, yes it appears slower, but in between each collision the photon is always traveling at c

thats refraction not bending

that explains weird shit you might see.

Incorrect. We can slow down photons in a lab. We've also "frozen" photons in lab as well.

Mass is energy. Photons have energy. But they don't have mass. Even though energy is mass. And mass is energy.

high school babby.

E^2 = m^2 * c^4 + p^2 * c^4

kek you are so full of shit it's hilarious. Feel free to provide some evidence that we've "frozen" a photon, whatever the fuck that means.

I hope you'll kill yourself, yet that doesn't mean it'll happen.

no bro, refracting photons just get sent in a new direction, when photons bend around stars it is gravity and they don't just get sent in a single new direction they follow a curved path as seen by observers in lower G.

Suck my dick faggot
journals.aps.org/prl/abstract/10.1103/PhysRevLett.111.033601

You 2 faggots do know that E=mc^2 is obsolete, right? Right?

nah bro photons energy is in its frequency it does not disturb the gravity field ergo it is not massive.

As a lifelong atheist, I cannot counter this argument.

While this can be viewed as true...it's not.

Lrn2QuantumMechanics faggot.

Gravity is not a force.

Agreed.

No faggot. Kek I'm not even a physics major and I know more than you do about this shit.

>thinking this article has anything to do with "freezing a photon"

How can it have energy but not mass? Aren't energy and mass the same fundamental thing?

You've looked into it more than I have. If you don't take it's stories as a threat to your ideals you can learn a lot from it. It's no surprise the stories of people coming back to life or the earth flooding for a month don't check out.

The book teaches you how to pull info from walls of text, about metaphor and human nature.

Don't listen to the faggots claiming that light always travels at c (in a vacuum). Photons are proven to slow down in various mediums outside a vacuum and we can precisely measure the change in speed.

Feel free to look up "Einstein rings" if you think he's wrong. We'll be here waiting

It is freezing a photon. Google it and see for yourself.

See

Scientists at the University of Darmstadt in Germany stopped light for one minute back around 2013. It's the basis of Quantum Memory.

thats why i step on the scale at night and not when it's bright day

>Photons only move at c in a vacuum. A photon traveling through our atmosphere and/or through a liquid like water travels slower than c.
IF THIS IS WHY YOU THINK STARS BEND LIGHT THEN YOU GOT NO CLUE WHAT YOUR ON ABOUT M8

EVEN IF STARS HAD A SIGNIFICANT ATMOSPHERE CAPABLE OF SLOWING LIGHT, WHICH THEY DONT, ALL THAT WOULD HAPPEN TO THE LIGHT IS SIMPLE REFRACTION, NOT THE SEEMING DIVERGENCE FROM A STRAIGHT LINE INTO A CURVE.

WOW DO YOU EVEN KNOW WHATS GOING ON

Just give it to him. It sounded creative

Why are you disregarding the fact that we have proven photons can and do slow down? This isn't anything new. Who the fuck taught you about the physics of em spectrum?

>remember that one time when I froze a photon and then picked it up with a pair of tweezers and looked it. Shit was so cash, and then I was able to disprove all of relativity by showing the photon to other people. Too bad Einstein didn't take notes from me lmaoooo

NO MASS IS WHAT GRAVITY CREATES BY ACCELERATING BAYRIONIC PARTICLES TOWARD ONE ANOTHER.
CAN IT BE CONVERTED TO ENERGY? YES. IS IT ENERGY? NO.

Afgdhhdv

>scientists in germany completely disproved all of relativity with one experiment and that's why now none of the scientific community accepts relativity anymore
Oh wait...

Fuck you are stupid
quora.com/Can-a-photon-be-slowed-down-to-less-than-the-speed-of-light-in-vacuum-conditions

OMG air has no mass and wind blows. It must be god.

See

Im a physics major and any concept of gravity you may think you know is a mere illusion. The force that humans feel that we interpret as gravity is not because objects attract eachother, but instead because the curvature of the 4-D spacetime that we live in. So because the space itself is curved even objects without a mass such as a photon still follow this curved path. "Gravity" is really just the curvature of an element spacetime in which we can not observe.

For your experimental proof youll need to look at some diagrams of different experiments laid out onto a spacetime diagram, thats a graph with ct (speed of light x time) on the vertical axis and r (position vector) on the horiziontal axis

This is General Relativity

>that moment when it was just hacker man hacking the universe

Hackerman > God

>baryonic matter
>oh btw it only makes up 5% of the universe but it's so legit!!!!!111 because without a bunch of imaginary dark shit our theories wouldn't work!
k

But photon have a mass
10^54 kg
atheists: 1
religions; 0
now go away stupid retarded fag

Physics

Thank you for explaining this to the retards. Btw, what's your personal theory on dark matter? Seems like a cop out that we just attribute experimental error to a magical gravitational substance that we've never directly observed

for me at least, i hope for an afterlife but there is no possible way i will ever believe in one

>I'm a physics major

He's not though, what he just said was almost incoherent, so anyone trying to decipher that should have known to stop at 4-D

Installer: Ah needs tuh put the wahrs
Me: Everything's done. GTFO
Installer: But the wahrs need tuh be all over. I makes muhney from the wahrs
Me: No, it's already been done correctly. You aren't getting your grimy hands on this house.
Installer: But ah needs tuh put the wahrs to the picher box and the teevee.
Me: *slap* Bad wire monkey. Get back in your truck and go bother somebody else.
Installer: But mah paypers. Yew needs tuh scratch on mah paypers weeyuth wunna theyem sticks what makes mahrks
Me: This paperwork says that a lot of things happened that didn't actually happen. I'll sign nothing until you bring me something that isn't full of lies.
Installer: ahmma tell momma on yew
Me: You do that.
Installer: Yew aint nahs *sob*
Me: On this we agree.

The service worked perfectly, BTW.

I THINK YOUVE LOST IT M8

WHOA THERE PAL THEN WHY DOES THE FORCE OF GRAVITY TRAVEL AT THE SPEED OF LIGHT? IF IT WERE ONLY A MANIFESTATION OF TIME'S TOPOLOGY WOULD NOT THE ACCELERATION OF GRAVITY PERMEATE SPACE TIME INSTANTANEOUSLY?

I HOPE YOU CAN SHED LIGHT ON THE DARKNESS OF MY IGNORANCE.

this made me giggle

Half Life 3 confirmed.

Fucking hell what is wrong with you guys? We have slown down photons
physicsworld.com/cws/article/news/2015/jan/22/structured-photons-slow-down-in-a-vacuum

WOW THATS ONE FUCK HEAVY PHOTON.

DARK MATTER = WHAT WE CALL THE THING MAKING THE PHYSICAL MODEL FAIL TO PREDICT HOW MATTER IS CHILLIN IN THE UNIVERSE.

DUDE LEARN TO PHYSICS. 4D = en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spacetime

>physics major
>The force that humans feel

Gravity is not a force you nitwit. If your a graduated physics major, every one of your professors needs to be bitch slapped for letting you pass.

Can you cut it out with that all caps shit, it's fucking annoying

Again, more proof that scientists have slowed down photons
gla.ac.uk/news/headline_388852_en.html

NAH

More proof we have slowed down photons. What is wrong with you guys?

So it have a mass and gravity take effect
even if the mass is ridiculously small

Again, incorrect.

LMAO

Well, now I want to know why there exists curvatures in spacetime, and what that actually means. Because I don't think any of this is exactly sound.

I'd take him at spacetime, though. It's just that I'm not a physics major, so even if he's bullshitting, I at least recognize that the concept of there being no real, set-aside "time", but just space/information/axes, is valid enough as a model. Whether it's a model we should even lend credence to, all day, every day, is beyond me.

Seeing as how some faggot just linked a wikipedia article though, I'll take you up on that call for bullshit.

People in this thread who took this seriously, and gave serious answers, know who they are.

Read this faggot

Ok well dark matter can get confusing, I havent done much study on it myself, but i do stride to keep myself up to date with current articles i can get my hands on.

My current understanding of it is that we found it by simulating the growth of different celestial systems with a super computer using general relativity.

This works great for small scale items like a solar system, but when you scale it up to the size of a galaxy the theory tends to disagree with what we actually observe.

Newtons and Einsteins theorys (gravity and relativity) both sudgest that systems on the outer edge of the galexy should be moving very slowly or in some cases even be ejected from the system.

So this if we imagine our system as well in this 4-D spacetime all dark matter would be refering to is something that is bending this spacetime in the opposite direction (rather than a well it becomes a hill)

I think once we find a way to directly observe it, there will be a leap forward in the field of physics

SO WHAT HAVE A MASS?

SO WHAT? ARE YOU SAYING THIS IS THE REASON FOR PHOTONS TO CURVE AROUND STARS?
NOTICE THE SLOW DOWN IN THE ARTICLES WAS TO A CONSTANT c WHILE LIGHT CURVED AROUND STARS HAPPENS AT ALL SORTS OF c REDUCTIONS. NOT RELEVANT

Are you incapable of understanding why photons traveling through a medium are observed at slower than c? You still seem to reserve the belief that the actual photons themselves are going slower instead of the actuality that they are just interacting with other particles
ONCE AGAIN, SEE

This has nothing to do with light travelling around stars. We have modified the shape of photons and reduced their speed in a lab. This is fact. Winning.

you realize he is using gravity as a concept right... not as a focre but its cute you think you know whats up

DUDE DID YOU READ OP POST? WHO SAID YOU WERE WRONG IN THAT PHOTONS CAN BE MADE TO LOOK LIKE THEY ARE GOING SLOW?
SHOW ME THE POST I WILL FIGHT THEM

Photon
faggot

The question was about photons. Do photons always move at speed of light. We can slow photons down below speed of light in a lab.

Makes sense. It's going to be difficult to proceed in our understanding because we're reaching our limit of what can be deduced mathematically, meaning we have only our experimental deductions to further our research. Unfortunately, most of the matters at hand require large amounts of energy to perform experiments on, some of which may simply be unfeasible. We're talking particle accelerators the length of many times Earth's diameter. Maybe some day we'll find the answer, but it being done in my lifetime seems doubtful. Kind of depressing actually

If you guys are getting caught up on the idea of mass, you can just think of mass as a unit of energy in some given location.

OH GOD NOT AGAIN

We could be wrong about super-symmetry. That'd be fun.

It's not like saying that it appears that it's moving slower but actually moving at c. It's moving slower than c period. Why can't you accept the fact that we took a photon (particle), changed its shape and slowed it down to below c?

> We
No you are not.

>Do photons always move at speed of light.
YES
>We can slow photons down below speed of light in a lab.
YEAH AND WATER SLOWS LIGHT DOWN TOO AMIRITELOLNOACTUALLYIMNOT.

ID GET INTO YOUR LINKS BUT I DONT THINK U R EQUIPPED

How can mirrors be real if our eyes aren't real?

Scientologists 1
Christians 0

Yall sheep go on youtube, search for Cody's Lab channel and look for does light push

This is different than modifying it's path to make it appear slower. This is actually slowing down a photon particle. You are fucking retarded and may as well be a thesist who believes invisible flying creatures and magical worlds written in a 2000 year old book.

Read this and tell me what the synopsis says. We didn't change the path. 2 photons same distance, one photon takes longer to reach end of path. Again same path, no bending or refracting.

How would we know though?

Light always moves at c dumbass. Photons however can be slowed down in a lab now.

LIGHT PUSHES VIA IMPARTING DISTURBANCE IN ELECTRICAL FIELD. (AND MAGNETIC) REMEMBER LIGHT IS PART ELECTRIC PART MAGNETIC AND IT IS THESE TWO FIELDS ACTING TOGETHER WHICH PROPAGATE THE ENERGY THAT IS THE PHOTON.

>implying
E=MC^2
Good game fucker

Virgin thread.

>hurr durrr being knowledgeable about science means you're a virgin hahah XD
Kill yourself, faggot.

BRO I RED YOUR LINK.
TELL ME HOW IT PROVES THAT LIGHT IS TRAVELING BELOW c.
THEY MEASURED IT AT BELOW c. JUST LIKE THEY MEASURE SUB c WHEN LIGHT PASSES THOUGH A MEDIUM THAT IS NOT A VACUUM>
HMM COINCIDENCE? I THINK NOT.

IN CASE I HAVE LOST YOU LIGHT TRAVELING THOUGH NOT A VACUUM ONLY LOOKS SLOW, IT IS STILL PROPAGATING AT c HOWEVER.

They can't, but our eyes are real.

It can actually be observed pretty easily with celestial bodies

You don't read the articles because you know that you are wrong and want to keep propagating your 1800s era view of physics. Welcome to the 21st century where we can slow down a photon faggot.

"The work demonstrates that, after passing the light beam through a mask, photons move more slowly through space. Crucially, this is very different to the slowing effect of passing light through a medium such as glass or water, where the light is only slowed during the time it is passing through the material – it returns to the speed of light after it comes out the other side. The effect of passing the light through the mask is to limit the top speed at which the photons can travel."

The work demonstrates that, after passing the light beam through a mask, photons move more slowly through space. Crucially, this is very different to the slowing effect of passing light through a medium such as glass or water, where the light is only slowed during the time it is passing through the material – it returns to the speed of light after it comes out the other side. The effect of passing the light through the mask is to limit the top speed at which the photons can travel.

LEARN TO READ FAGGOT
Crucially, this is very different to the slowing effect of passing light through a medium such as glass or water, where the light is only slowed during the time it is passing through the material – it returns to the speed of light after it comes out the other side.

virgin detected

Well, that's the fun part, isn't it? How will we know if nature just happens to have lighter particles than, say, some other system that has heavier particles and possibly thus no life? How do we know if nature is just ugly? We can't just go and measure other universes (if they even exist).

If nothing new comes out of the LHC or the collider that China is rumored to be building, and we don't make strides in nuclear fusion reactors (and other associated technologies related to nuclear fusion power), then we'll probably (the majority of physicists) will conclude that we've to start all over with a blank slate. We'll have no real reason to build another one, or fork out the power to keep another one running, besides a stab in the dark.

And I mean, we've already found the particles we thought we predicted. What we're doing now, with the various expensive particle smashers, is hoping that we find something we didn't know about, something that makes things like dark matter or the absence of clusters of observable anti-matter make sense.

>1800s era view of physics
>Einstein released first relativity paper in 1905
>posts cherry picked quote about how an entire fundamental aspect of modern physics is wrong even though it's been experimentally verified hundreds of times and is accepted by every major scientific community in the world

>E=mc^2 is obsolete

in a sense that no one should give a shit about god /gods you only live once or at least that's what's been proven so far so, why do people waste their lives in this shit

Wrong faggot. I've banged 3 different girls, one of which was hundreds of times over a two year relationship. Not saying it's anything to be impressed about, but the fact that the only post you can muster is a generalized categorization about the entire thread just because you don't understand science is pretty fucking sad. Sex is fun, but I'd much rather be an intelligent virgin than a complete fucking retard who constitutes his self worth on the amount of sluts who have allowed him to stick his dick into them

Ugh except there's a fuckton of reports that confirm the breakthrough. We have slowed down a photon by changing its shape IN A FUCKING VACUUM.

When we eventually violate the fuck out of Einstein and build a time machine, please go back to 1600s, have Newton give you a blowjob and then kill yourself.

Energy is equivalent to mass. Approximately no mass =/= no mass.

>And I mean, we've already found the particles we thought we predicted. What we're doing now, with the various expensive particle smashers, is hoping that we find something we didn't know about, something that makes things like dark matter or the absence of clusters of observable anti-matter make sense.
Well, this is the general pattern of events that have lead to new discoveries in the past. I would be delighted to be able to learn new things about physics as my life progresses. Even the most recent discovery of gravitational waves was quite an awesome thing to have witnessed

I know it's hard to believe for a selfish faggot like yourself, but some people actually feel fulfilled by contributing to the betterment of human knowledge

How about learning about how we can slow down photons in a vacuum?

this is your reason for believing in god?

if there is a god hes not letting you into his house with that attitude

also your a pussy

>GOD IS REAL BECAUSE I REALLY REALLY DONT WANT TO DIE

The people who believe that we can't slow down photons may as well believe in God, invisible flying fairies and magical worlds where you live forever.

>banged 3 different girls

VIRGIN DETECTED

youtube.com/watch?v=7eCbV0EVlUA

kek

alright gentlemen. I think most of us can agree it's time.
qntm.org/destroy

yeah mate that shit's obsolete just like v=s/t

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA....gravity dosen't affect photons.... hahahahahahahaa ohhhh wow priceless.

Heres just a quick question to show you how little you know OP

are photon's waves or particles?

answer correctly and i'll tell you how gravity does affect photons. And why they remain trapped inside a black hole.

EVERY LINK ABOUT THIS IS FROM THE SAME EXPERIMENT CHILL OUT ALREADY.

BRO READ YOUR OWN LINK THE BEAM IS GOING c THE INDIVIDUAL MEMBERS (PHOTONS) ARE NOT.
>the main bunch of riders - may be moving at a constant speed. But within the bunch an individual rider may moving more slowly, dropping back for a rest or a drink.
FUCKIN LOL YEAH LETS JUST SLOW DOWN c NP ITS NOTHIN BRO.

IM IMPRESSED

warning! you're hacking too much time

> photon's
> can't use apostrophes properly
> claiming mental superiority

Blindly following a conclusion, proposition, or something of equal measure, is tantamount to bad science. Especially if it's one occurrence with no reported attempts at reproducibility such that even skeptics like I can take it at face value. Especially if... you're reading headlines and not the finer details of the experiment itself.

And you're linking an RT article this time.

They don't have to, though. What you're proposing is really silly and unreasonable.

Photon
No Mass
Choose one damn nigga !

I hope you're not a "physics fag" cuz you suck harder than a hooker on cocaine !

Hshsh

Settle down fag

i thought that too lmao

>No records of Jesus existing
coldcasechristianity.com/2014/is-there-any-evidence-for-jesus-outside-the-bible/

Are you even trying?

lol i know right

doing your GCSEs in physics doesn't make you a physicsfag

Thank god you made this thread, I wake up everyday thinking about this and its repercussion on society. I am also a feminist tho.

>colcasechristianity
>not biased in any way
>author jwallace
>monthly bible inserts
>b8

SEXUAL HARASSMENT

Sexual Harambe.

Telling me to chill out and you are all caps

Lil Internet is that you?

OH MAN SORRY GUYS

Yes, it's general relativity, and it is high school grade physics. also the photons don't have mass shit isn't true. Don't know if you really are a "physics major" but if you are, then your university is either shit, or you are taking the easy courses only. Read yourself up on quantum electrodynamics. If photon's didn't have rest-mass, then the whole thing would be nonsense.

>hurr durr but muh einstein

Special and general relativity are good concepts that can teach us some stuff. But we are not living in the 1940's. So you can either teach cold war physics here or you can step out of your comfort zone and educate yourself about the real stuff.

That doesnt answer my question

Were you trying to be clever by using the word god in a sentence? Because that didn't make any god damned sense.

WELL THIS IS FASCINATING!

Not really.

how about the brexit?

WHERE IN QED DOES A PHOTON REST?

quora.com/What-does-it-mean-for-a-particle-like-a-photon-to-have-a-rest-mass-of-zero

Roll

The chegg

easy, go grab the quran and you'll find the answers

>living life to the fullest
>arguing on Cred Forums
Pick one.

>sweating bullets
>hello me, meet the real me

I actually don't want the kinds of afterlives people popularized.

books.google.ch/books?id=RPZFBQAAQBAJ&pg=PA370&lpg=PA370&dq=quantum electrodynamics photon rest mass&source=bl&ots=gz737R_HLY&sig=g2rAumKP0-3PnDQ1U2pvqqhDSH4&hl=de&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi0i-65663PAhUGuhQKHV_sAEoQ6AEIXjAI#v=onepage&q=quantum electrodynamics photon rest mass&f=false

That's the assumption, if you want to read up on it, get that book yourself and maybe read some papers. Do you want me to link them as well?

>quora.com

yeah, a real scientist you are, I see.

You from tumbler?

what is a kugel-blitz

black holes warp spacetime. light is still following a straight path through space, its just that the space itself is no long 'straight' in the typical sense. the gravitational force has nothing to do with it. black holes curve spacetime so much that all directions through that space lead further into the hole.

WEW LAD

YOU DON"T KNOW WHAT YOUR READIN BRO. A PAGE UP TALKS ABOUT:

>In physics, an infrared divergence or infrared catastrophe is a situation in which an integral, for example a Feynman diagram, diverges because of contributions of objects with very small energy approaching zero, or, equivalently, because of physical phenomena at very long distances.

>The infrared (IR) divergence only appears in theories with massless particles (such as photons). They represent a legitimate effect that a complete theory often implies. In fact, in the case of photons, the energy is given by E=hν, where ν is the frequency associated to the particle and as it goes to zero, like in the case of soft photons, there will be an infinite number of particles in order to have a finite amount of energy. One way to deal with it is to impose an infrared cutoff and take the limit as the cutoff approaches zero and/or refine the question. Another way is to assign the massless particle a fictitious mass, and then take the limit as the fictitious mass vanishes.
>Another way is to assign the massless particle a fictitious mass, and then take the limit as the fictitious mass vanishes.
>massless particle a fictitious mass
>fictitious mass

YEAH YOUR RESTING MATH IS MADE UP BRO NT.

What are you talking about? Kugelbiltz are temperature black holes which do exist... Don't be so fucking stupid, fag

why are you on fagchan if you can be in church right now

This offends me as a vegan transgender atheist who vapes and crossfits 4 times a week and im also a male feminist as I identify myself as a pastafarian apache helicopter dog mega multi combo god of hyper death and if you dont agree with me You're an ignorant arrogant globaphobic sexist lesbian

Dude you dont understand. The photon doesn't have a rest mass no matter what math they are trying to make up

Now this is eternal life: that they know you,the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent.
John 17:3

May I ask of whom Jesus was speaking then? How about John 14:28

"You heard me say, 'I am going away and I am coming back to you.' If you loved me, you would be glad that I am going to the Father, for the Father is greater than I."

If Jesus was god, why was he speaking of God as if he were another entity? You're dumb. You should do a little research on the Bible and how it was translated and copied. Or research how Constantine merged MANY pagan religions with Christianity to convert the pagans. For example, Christmas was not when Jesus was born hahaha but even if it were, Jesus said not to celebrate his birth but his death. None of Jesus' first followers or the first Christian congregation celebrated his birth in December. Surely they would have if Christmas actually had scriptural origins. Also, when Jesus was born the Bible speaks of shepherds tending to their flocks. Shepherds aren't out in their fields in the winter when it's rainy and cloudy etc. the origins of Christmas come from many different pagan folklores involving giving gifts to their pagan gods so they wouldn't fucking get eaten in the middle of the night. But regardless, Christianity is a religion that consists of pagan religions merged into one its all bullshit. God is probably real but Christianity is not. There is absolutely no evidence that Jesus Christ even existed other than the Bible which was written by men who are said to be imperfect so I mean come on people. If you're Christian you're a slave and that's all there is to it. You're brainwashed with no capability to think critically about the world. I'm not denying the existence of a god but I'm denying the validity of your bible by which you base your life. You're a hateful lot with some serious anger issues over a book that tells you how to think because you're too stupid to do it yourself. Wake up

But if photons have mass how do they travel at the speed of light? E=MC^2 you know

Why are religious people always trying to prove that their beliefs are true? The foundation of religion is faith, i.e. a belief in something with no evidence. Without faith, it's not religion, it's science. If the sky wizard was right there where you could see him, then saying you believe in god would be no more profound of a statement than saying you believe that the sun exists or that the sky is blue. By making an effort to prove your beliefs you are essentially trying to prove your way out of being religious. stahp.

>built.

Stopped reading here

I am getting more and more suprised each day with the quality of bait (shit tier) and the responses I see replying to it. You really don't need to try and bait anymore just say something obviously sarcastic and retards will flock to your post like fat girls to ice cream.

It looks like no user, unfortunately.

good choice

so you read the whole post then?

are you a certified retard? photon is trictly massless

the chicken came first. the egg just got laid.

>Crossing swords

gay.

Nice to see the good ole God of the Gaps argument being tossed around again. If you can't explain it, God did it!

>wants to know how to tell god is real or not
Pic related

I mean you say it's massless, maybe we lack the tools to measure its mass?

>Physics
>English
Last I checked it's two completely different things! His point isn't invalid because he spelled a word of your language wrong

>Gravity is not a force

Look up the four fundamental forces. You could hardly be more wrong.

If the earth is round why can't it roll????

Checkmate atheists

zero mass objects are still affected by gravity

>Read this faggot
Yes, you can slow the speed of light. But that is not what causes light to bend around stars. It's irrelevant.