Today was my second day at my new job as a 1st line help desk support 'engineer'

today was my second day at my new job as a 1st line help desk support 'engineer'.
I came home crying, for the second time.

I'm a more quit guy and everyone there seems to be pretty extraverted, I have a networking certificate saying I know shit from Firewalls and routers to windows server advanced stuff.

I aced the hiring test, but the shit I got to see there was quite different, compared to the test, which was a walk in the park this is some next level IT shit.

Pretty much everyone there has a Ms Gold certificate, CCNA etc. just bulking in grad. diplomas and certificates, I honstely don't even know why they hired me and thought I would be suitable for the job.

today I got handed over my laptop, a shitty old ass laptop with 4 gig ram and an early gen I5, i installed my shit and a new WIN10 and got pestered with blue screens, the worst thing that could happen to a new guy in such an environment.

They work with autotask, I had a one day course and now they expect me to know how it works.

I'm good at what I do, but not nearly on their level. Sometimes chinese comes out their mouths and im supposed to understand them.

I feel low Cred Forums, i was happy i found a job so quickly but im not human atm. I feel drained and failed.

come on Cred Forums; i need this thread

The first days job are never easy, for anybody. Maybe that's a big challenge, maybe your colleagues are a lot better than you, but they chose you because they think you've got a great potential, and in one year you will be so happy to be more skilled !

However, as IT workers, we are lucky to find jobs in one month, so... If you still feel bad even in one month, then change, do it, don't wait and hesitate, just do it !

Good luck guy, I know what it is, and I did the two solution in different jobs... You just have to go ahead and enjoy ! You're not a shit, you are just a newbie !

just like the other guy said, you are still new. dont afraid to ask people, especially if you are new they will understand. give it a years time and you will also feel shit because you are not learning anything new.

thanks, a bright beam of sunlight on a shit raining clouded day this comment.

But the guy responsible for training me is the leader of the team; and he doesn't really give a shit.

I like to be productive and frustrates me that I can't be of any help, it's like they don't care about my presence, they all eat together somewhere else then at work but they don't ask me with them.

I feel left out and useless; i will try this for some more days but it's draining me.

oh shit. this is really traumatizing for a new guy. just a tip, if you really feel like quitting dont. find a new one first then quit.

its not really healthy if you are feeling this way

You can do iiiit!! You will try!

If you fail, retreat a bit, live out the shock and frustration and retryyyy!!

Auto task is easy as shit to figure out. I didn't need any training. Also, bluescreens and shit... Did you check the dump files? Maybe event logs? How is it the worst thing to happen to a newbie? Also, extroverted or not, answering a phone is as easy as 1. Open a new ticket in Autotask 2. Put on a big dumb fucking smile 3. Answer the phone "Hello, company name, OP speaking, how can I help you?" 4. Shut them the fuck up and get the details for Autotask.

I did 2 years in 1-3 helpdesk with a hypercunt for a boss. Ask me anything.

Let me help you OP

Good luck man. I really think that if you can get hired on like you were you can pull this off. Everything challenging pays off in the end in some way.

About the lunch thing...I mean I don't know what to tell ya. I'd probably ask to tag along at some point, but work relationships are all about knowing your boundaries, and if you don't get asked to go I wouldn't take it personally

Pretty sure this is like every person first getting into IT. Stop being such a bitch about it. You got the job because you can learn, not because you know everything. IT is very different everywhere you go, and very rarely will you find an organization that has organized and "standardized" infrastructure to mold yourself around.

Stop expecting to be the hero and just take in everything you can. All those people above you got their certs because they learned those things were relevant and then took action accordingly. Do your shitty ass level 1 shit tier support job and solve your own problems. Fix your shitty bluescreens and pay attention to what direction you need to take there or if you even want to. People above you are more likely to promote you and help you if you don't have to be babysat and taught everything.

The fuck do you even WANT to do?

Haha happy to be a beam of sunlight :D

- The leader seems to not care, maybe he is a huge asshole... Find someone else when you need help.
- Nobody is productive during its first month job... Be productive in your learning : write everything you ask (never ask the same twice).
- The fact they don't eat with you is more disturbing... It was like that in my last job. Everyone was eating in little groups, and I was left with the other newbie. Then (few weeks/months later) I sympathized with the other team, working one less floor, and finally it was great... But surely the first days were hard... Everybody was nice with me, but nobody purposed to eat or share anything with me :(.

gives a very good advice ! Don't quit with nothing ! (and maybe don't quit the first week, you can't estimate your new job in one week...)

C'mon man, if they needed to make a thread on Cred Forums about it they're not going to be able to just "man up."
As much as it frustrates my ass some folks just need a little gentle pushing now and then

When I first got into IT I felt this way. Just gotta study study study and learn learn learn. It's absolutely different at every job.

Also I can't tell you how many times I've told a manager or CEO or someone when they ask me a question:

"I have absolutely no idea" with a smirk and gotten a good laugh out of them.

The job is to figure things out as they come up, not to know everything from day one.

Pretty sure that's what /adv/ is for...

OP. Companies usually work on a new employee taking 3 months to get up to speed and 6 months to be fully functional. Often a first appraisal would be nullified on the basis of insufficient time "in post". They have spend considerable money to employ you and it'll cost them again if they lose you.

If you struggle and then leave without telling them, then they will rightly be able to blame you. You nered to taalk to your supervisor.

Did they nominate a mentor for you? If not, ask your supervisor if one of the helpful, experienced guys could be your "go to" guy to avoid having to continually badger your supervisor. If you approach him with this then you'll be seen as offering a potential solution to help you, rather than just whine - and it could be that your supervisor says to use him.

I'm just hoping you didn't lie or exaggerate on your cv or at the interview and these problems are those lies coming home to roost.

true, but he's here now, so may as well help.

People come to Cred Forums to be told what's up, not coddled.

I'm in IT. New people are annoying. Even when I hire people I do so with hesitation every time. Most of the time lower level IT people take the shittiest work, which is on purpose, because the people above you don't want to do it. If you can't take on the shitty stuff, no one is ever going to want to help you with anything because you aren't helping with your pieces. I've very rarely had easy transitions for new employees and even myself.

I'm not telling the guy to be complacent, I'm telling him it's not going to be an easy or fun transition into a successful career in the beginning.

What is your job description and what have you had to do the past two days?

As a mafia hitman, I know the feeling. I was the new guy at work once, looking like the fool next to pros. They all new how to track someone down, sneak into an area, hid a body, while I was still figuring out the simplest thing. Keep your chin up, you'll be alright pal.

I will tell you one thing: This Is Life.

Maybe it's fucking time for you to think about leaving your shitty job (if possible m8) and start your own business.
You'll be good, life is giving you signs

I understand that the Teamsters are negotiating with Palermo for the right to organise and represent you guys

Whenever you're the "new guy", you will feel out of breath, you will feel drained, because you do whatever you can, in order to feel "one" with them. But don't worry dude, just breath it in, take it like a man, and in due time, you'll be one of them, and you'll be laughing at another newbie

Our wages are at an all time low. Those damn russians and mexicans get paid more than we do. Tell mob families to pay their clients better #hitmenneedtoeat2

It's a problem of globalisation, plus all of the weapons and skills from wars and conflicts that people in the cartels and Eastern Europe have developed and now want to hone, whilst whilst earning some coin.

I suggest you start marketing yourselves better. How about "BOGOOFF" offers (Buy One, Get One Offed For Free), or offering a "cradle to grave" service - as well as whacking the target, you dispose of the corpse, tidy up any forensics at the scene and kill all of the targets children in the package? The Teamsters will be only too please to negotiate to stop the undertakers, paedophiles and accident scene cleaners from muscling in on your expanded operations, and your added value should allow prices to rise. Plus you differentiate yourself from the competition.

maybe you're just not good at anything op

Here is all my help.
Google anything you can't figure out first.
Scour the event log next.
Then and only then ask for help, you won't sound dumb if you spent at least 20 Min trying to figure the shit out.
Build rapport with clients. Big fucking smile on the phone. Ask about their holidays and shit, having a hearty chat can score you extra time logged. Make use of Autotask widgets. You can track improvement and shit with them. Learn to automate common jobs (python, bat, bash and powershell are invaluable tools). Log shit into notes as you go (I used to use notepad++, if it closes all of your shit is cached anyways). Create speed codes in Autotask. Learn to use nmap, it will give you a sick network overview. If you have spent more than an hour on something, ask for help so you don't waste any more time. You have been doing this for 2 days, you won't be any good at this for another 3-6 months, your employer knows this and was prepared for the losses you would incur when they hired you. Neck up, no one should like you yet. This is the real world and you have you've just started climbing the ladder. Remember, big dumb fucking smiles.