Attempting to build a computer for the 1st time

>attempting to build a computer for the 1st time
>can't get it to display anything on the monitor
>post about it on Cred Forums as a test thread for Cred Forums
>Cred Forums thread goes so horrible for over 300 posts that i decide not to post on Cred Forums
>can't get anything done because it's like there's like 20 of you trying to post something at once
>told everyone i would do an update post later while the thread was auto-saging and i was being insulted, abused, raged, flamed, rageflamed, ragequit, etc. until the 404

So.

Here's the update post.

Some time later.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=n-Eg_xUFhbU
youtube.com/watch?v=QCdfcUSZy6k
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I really had no idea why it was turning on. I made sure everything as plugged in. The GPU and RAM were pushed in until they were snapped into place - and that lock-in thing flips-on it and locks it in.

Originally I was going for a "fanless" build because that's how I wanted to do it. But I was advised by everyone to put a fan on it. So I put a CPU fan on it. Still no luck.

1 of the things I wanted to do was to under-clock the CPU in the BIOS or in this case the UEFI; So it would have a lower TDP; So it would be easier to cool down.

I didn't want to leave the computer on for too long because I didn't want it to over-heat; Since I can't access the BIOS UEFI to under-clock it.

Eventually, after realizing I do have a CPU fan on there and that will probably be enough, I was like "forget it" and left it on for a longer period of time.

After leaving it on for about 30 to 60 seconds - an image finally appeared on the screen.

On my laptop there's a "rapid-boot" thing with windows 7 that turns it on in like 5 to 10 seconds. So I thought a desktop-grade CPU with windows 10 on for more than 20 seconds means it's not working.

So I'm pretty sure that the reason it wasn't working was because I wasn't leaving the computer on long enough to boot-up; To prevent possible over-heating for nothing; Since it wouldn't be on anyway.

By the way - again - I the GPU used is the GT710. - I chose the GT710 because it was the most advanced fanless GPU I could find. - The idea of making a "fanless" computer build was 1 of the main reasons I made this build. - Until they make something like a fanless GTX950 or GTX1060 - I'm sticking with the GT710. - The HDMI port was used. Not sure if the VGA or DVI port works; But it probably does. - Maybe it even took a while to start because I chose HDMI instead of VGA. I don't know.

Another update is that I got really good ram with "thin" heat-sink-plating around it. But it was too thick; Because the RAM slots are right next to eachother. So I tried widdling down 1 o the RAM sticks with a grinder. It's metal. So it took a really long time. When I finally reached the RAM - I decided to just attempt to pull it off; And it seemed to give way. It seemed to bend; But eventually I pulled it off. An adhesive glue was holding it together. Not some kind of metal connection. So I took the 2nd RAM stick, didn't grind it, and twisted it apart so it wouldn't bend, and got it off quite easily.

The RAM stick with the metal-plating I was grinding seems to not work. Possibly due to over-heating from the grinding, the debris from the grinding, the shaking from the grinding, or the fact that I dipped it in water for a second afterwards to remove the debris, or a combination of them, or something else. I don't think it's the water tho 'cause I dipped the other 1 in it too and it works. I dipped them reeeally fast and dried them reeeally fast.

Since the computer was working - I decided to take the fan out and test to see how it would work without a fan; Or without any fans. The temperature was about 40 degrees celsius or 40c 1st but then got to over 90c and headed to over 100c. I was keeping it on but I think stand-by or something kicked in because I got "no signal" from my monitor again - But I paniced and shut it down - thinking something was wrong.

I'm not too worried about it since the CPU is designed to take temperatures above 100c and at 100c it's supposed to shutdown automatically or something. Again I didn't get to it so yeah.

So - to complete the build so it's an actual "fanless" build without missing ram-sticks - I need a set of a new ram-sticks and a new CPU that has a TDP of about 55watts; Instead of the i7-6800K's 140watts. I'll either save the i7-6800K for another build, or test; Or sell it. I don't think anyone wants 1 RAM-stick and even my mini-itx board takes 2 RAM-sticks. Certainly they probably don't want a RAM-stick that had its heat-shielding removed; Tho I think it's an awesome "mod"; As it were.

So ultimately my 1st computer build is a failure. Absolute failure. I basically broke 1 of the RAM sticks; And I basically chose the wrong CPU with the i7-6800K.

Still. I can't help but feel pretty proud of myself. For a long time I couldn't even get it to display anything other than "no signal". I had that problem for days. So since I've most to and beyond getting something on the screen - I'm pretty happy.

The biggest problem is money. As usual. I probably won't be able to fix this or experiment with it further until I pay my debt off as it is. - I wanted to avoid having a bunch of little "projects" that are incomplete. I wanted to have a lot of things I focused on and "completed". But. Alas, somehow I have ended up with a bunch of incomplete "projects".

So. In terms of getting the problem fixed: success. In terms of getting the build complete and fully-operational: failure.

Tho I didn't get the key-advice of "leave your computer on longer to give it more time to boot-up". I still appreciate all of the advice that was given.

Thank you.

tl;dr: I was attempting to build a computer for the 1st time and I couldn't get it to display anything on a monitor. Now it's fixed.

Thank you.

No-one fucking cares faggot

No-one fucking cares faggot

This

Nobody gives a shit about you or your computer

I'm glad you felt the need to type all of this up but no one gives a shit

This

Nobody gives a shit about you or your tears

I'm glad you felt the need to type all of this up but no one gives a shit

>tfw when part of something that can cause so much anal devastation without even trying
I'll never regret joining the internet
It's like I get delivered a fresh bottle of tears every day

>tfw when part of something that can cause so much anal devastation without even trying

try taking all the ram out and booting it up first

>Windows 10
youtube.com/watch?v=n-Eg_xUFhbU

nah it works already but thank you

ill help user. what are your specs and what did you do in detail?

>jewtube
good goy

well it already works. i stated that in the thread. i might make a big image that says that soon. i'll post the specs soon anyway. hold on. thank you.

>Chassis: Corsair Obsidian 250D
>Mother-board: Asrock x99e mini itx ac
>CPU: Intel i7-6800K
>PSU: Seasonic 520-watt Fanless Platnium ATX12V
>RAM: Crucial 4GBx2 DDR4-2133 CL15 DIMM
>GPU: Nvidia GT 710
>CPU-cooler: Dynatron T318
>M2: Samsung 950 Pro 512GB
>SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 128GB

>ill help user. what are your specs and what did you do in detail?

>tl;dr: I was attempting to build a computer for the 1st time and I couldn't get it to display anything on a monitor. Now it's fixed.
>
>Thank you.

Thank you.

>Posting about computer shit
>is not on Cred Forums

wtf are you doing?

wtf ?

okay, the biggest problem might be casing this shit. you said that the ram slots were very close to gether. could you give me a pic of the inside and the case's make and model?

wtf ?

oh shoot that's not it anymore. i changed it to a silverstone sg13. hold on.

>Chassis: SilverStone SG13
>Mother-board: Asrock x99e mini itx ac
>CPU: Intel i7-6800K
>PSU: Seasonic 520-watt Fanless Platnium ATX12V
>RAM: G.Skill Trident Z 8GBx2
>GPU: Nvidia GT 710
>CPU-cooler: Dynatron T318
>M2: Samsung 950 Pro 512GB
>SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 128GB

The idea of making a small fanless build was the entire reason I built this computer...

>Shistposting about shit shit
>is not on /trash/

wtf are you doing?

okay, correct me if im wrong here OP, but isnt this case kind of small?

Are you retarded? A pc is literally plug and play. Did a 970 build with a 6600k took me like 30 minutes to get it up and running with Windows. Also my first one. So long as you don't have an extra chromosome its one of the easiest things you can do.

>arguing on the internet

faggot

I built this about three weeks ago. I couldn't be happier and it's incredibly fast. I'm using the M.2 slot for the Samsung SSD. The data transfer rate is 32G/second!!!

isnt this case kind of small op?

I built this about three weeks ago. I couldn't be happier and it's incredibly fast. I'm using the M.2 slot for the Samsung SSD. The data transfer rate is 32Gig/second!!!

yeah. it's extremely small. i had the 250D because i thought it'd be easier for a beginner. then i realized that it's just so you can unscrew most screws with your fingers. then you have to use a screw-driver for the mother-board. so i'm like "i really can't build a computer just because i can't use a screw-driver?". so i got a screw-driver with a magnetic bit-heads. it doesn't fit everything. it doesn't fit in some of the smaller screw slots. but it's alright. - i was thinking about taking my computer in to the computer store to get it fixed. but i couldn't fit the 250d in my backpack. so i decided to move it to the silvestone sg13 - like i originally planned on doing after getting the "beginner" build with the 250d together and working.

yeah.

Are you retarded? A pc isn't literally plug and play. Did a 710 build with a 6800k took me like 3 days to get it up and running with windows-os. Also my first one. So long as you don't have an extra chromosone its one of the hardest things you can do.

>arguing on the internet

faggot

>worshipping and advertising camwhores who camwhore for money so they can make even mnore money

faggot

Looks good. I was thinking 6700K. But I opted for the lga-2011 socket.

Thank you.

excellent thought process. How much do you have in the pc now?

you too. i wasn't counting. about $1200.

and the case alone?
is it returnable for a refund?

>the debris from the grinding
>or the fact that I dipped it in water

much keks

yeah the adhesive-tape was full of metal debris and metal chips. the other 1 i took apart and didn't grind wasn't.
i dipped them both in water. so i don't know why 1 would work and the other would. - i think the heat from the grinder is what did it. it burned my fingers. the pain.

thank you for listening

the 250d? about $85.
probably. i don't wanna deal. - my room is sort of a mess. so i'm throwing boxes out right away, and stuff. - i'll probably save it for another build or project in the future or re-sell it some time later. - it was fine for testing purposes and comparing it to the other case. - since i don't usually do this.

the sg13? about $40.
probably. i probably won't return it. - i like how the sg13 is small. i sort of want 1 even smaller. but i don't want to deal with that all now either.

wait. not $1200. i under-estimated with that guess. about $1700 total.

>$ 40 Chassis: SilverStone SG13
>$ 292 Mother-board: Asrock x99e mini itx ac
>$ 430 CPU: Intel i7-6800K
>$ 160 PSU: Seasonic 520-watt Fanless Platnium ATX12V
>$ 238 RAM: G.Skill Trident Z 8GBx2
>$ 40 GPU: Nvidia GT 710
>$ 33 CPU-cooler: Dynatron T318
>$ 316 M2: Samsung 950 Pro 512GB
>$ 90 SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 128GB
>$1639 Total: Done.

So about $1700 total. Or about - $1800 total; f you count the 1080p HDMI and VGA monitor with HDMI and VGA cables.

Keep in mind with that list I'm rounding up to the nearest dollar instead of putting ".xx" in cents at the end; To abbreviate and tl;dr.

Here's a look inside by the way; If that means anything.

oh yeah. the "update" thread was originally going to be a "part 2" of figuring out how to get the computer to work. i was going to post the mother-board layout. no need now. but since i went thru the trouble of converting pdf to png - i'll attempt to post it now.

%triforce

[flip] niggers [/flip]

niggers^rawr

You need to use the VGA cable first, not the HDMI. Use the VGA cable and then go into Nvidia control panel and update your video card, then plug in the HDMI. And it should prompt.

Oh boy

I can't wait to bomb some dodongos!!

I tried the VGA cable 1st before and it doesn't work. It was already fixed. I just had to give the computer 30 to 60 seconds to boot-up. Apparently.

See:
>it's fixed now. thank you.png

Thank you.

higher resolution

Update/install your video drivers is what I meant to say. The video card should have came with a disk with all the necessary drivers. Your motherboard should have came with a disk too. Install your driver after you install your OS. Until then, only you VGA cable will work.

higher resolution.

like i said, the biggest problem is the small size. realistically, the small space makes airflow difficult. might try liquid nitrogen cooling, id recommend corsair

Did you put on the cpu cooler?

This fucking thread

I kind of wish I knew what these posts say but i'm probably not going to read them.

youtube.com/watch?v=QCdfcUSZy6k

Oh. Yeah it came with a disk. Pretty sure the motherboard did too. Oh. Well it works now anyway. But. Noted. Thank you.

yeah. yeah. corsair h80i. for liquid cooling. - as for liquid nitrogen cooling... that sounds really cool. i don't really over-clock to be honest. - i don't seem to live near anyone helpful or into computers either. so. well. - i wanted it to be completely fanless. so with a fan i can get temperatures lower. like the stock-fan. or any fan. but i wanted it to be fanless. i put a passive-cooling heat-sink on top of it. doesn't cut it for the i7-6800K; of course. a little fan on top of it seems to help. and the stock-fan that came with the mother-board also seems to help. if i'm going to put a fan on it - i'll probably just put that little fan back on the passive-cooling heat-sink. but again the point was to have it be fanless. so. i don't know. i don't mind chilling with my laptop for right now. i may get another cpu later and again either save the i7-6800K for some fan-based build or sell it. i don't know. thank you.

yeah. it's a fanless heatsink tho. i don't know of a mainstream intel cpu that you -don't- use a cpu cooler with. i put a fan on the fanless heat-sink and it cools it down. i also have a stock cpu cooler fan. but i don't really wanna use those. if i use it again as it is right now - then i'll probably use the passive-cooling with the fan on top of it. but i don't know how long i can get by with that. fanless probably would've eventually got too hot and automatically shutdown eventually.

yeah.

This fucking post

>I kind of wish I knew what these posts say but i'm probably not going to read them.

>tl;dr: I was attempting to build a computer for the 1st time and I couldn't get it to display anything on a monitor. Now it's fixed.
>
>Thank you.

i'll give you 5 minutes to delete this post

gotcha. why fanless though if i may ask?

Post this fucking

is this a termaltake cube case? back looks like it. I can try and help out, had the same issue with mine

oh. of course. well. i didn't like how my old computer got dust in it. i know you can clean stuff out. but then it's like those same people who tell you to clean dust out are like "computers don't need to be loud nowadays" - but the reason they're loud is due to moving-parts like fans - so i thought "computers don't need fans nowadays"; to summarize what they're saying. i mean if "device" shit doesn't need any kind of fan at all by default - surely, this must be possible with the ever-popular "modular" real computers. so that's what I wanted to do. completely "fanless" and "quiet" by extension and as a result of that. also everyone's like "don't get a laptop build a computer and make whatever you want". so i'm like. alright i'll make a little fanless computer with the smallest mother-board i could find for the x99 chip-set; which is a mini-itx mother-board with an x99 chip-set. - i was also actually planning on possibly using a "1U" server-drawer and having it be in a little server-case; since that'd be smaller in terms of being flatter; and also it's like a standard. but i wanted to go for something more "mainstream" and "simple" for my 1st build. so i knew i could make a basic computer. then move onto "server" stuff. - i don't really have the money right now. - but. - that's basically the project. - also again everyone's like "build a computer and make whatever you want" then get mad at my decisions of making it different in ways like having it be fanless etc.. so. oh well...

Fucking this post

no. i think that's the corsair 250d. but i switched to the silverstone sg13. it works now. but thank you.

i also got a small air-filter to clean the dust out of the air. - some users on Cred Forums thought that wasn't "manly" or something. i guess they're all not manly since everyone at inel etc. basically has air-filters for their clean-rooms to make the computers they're on. - thinking about it - i guess an air conditioner does the same thing. but i can't really use that all-year around. it gets too cold in the winter-time.

what's goin on in this thread
also
get

i have no idea
also
nice get

>I really had no idea why it was turning on.

I really had no idea why it wasn't turning on.*

WHY THE FUCK DID YOU SPEND THAT MUCH ON A BUILD WITH A FUCKING GT. THIS SHIT IS TRIGGERING ME.

Windows 7 Ultimate: Free
I7 4790k: 170
Corsair Vengeance Ram 16gb: 40
MSI Krait Motherboard: 160
R9 290x: 150
R9 290x watercooling bracket: 30
Corsair h100i x2: 150
Corsair RX 750: 45
1tb toshiba hdd: 20
Keyboard, mouse, Monitor: 120

885$ complete build. Whoever helped you pick parts is a retard. If you did it why the fuck did you go all new gen shit when the 4790k is still one of the top CPU's for price. You basically overpayed for a rebranded 4790 and ddr4 capable even though there is basically no difference

well, i understand that too. do you have steam, op?

>GT710
what the fuck? why don't you just get a tablet or something instead?

why. to trigger you. of course!. - no. really. it's because it's the best GPU i could find without a fan. if anything i should be saying "why don't you make a new gpu without a fan!! this is triggering me!!".

your build is really good. it's a really impressive and great relative budget build as it were.

alright. you helped me pick the parts, user. well the "new gen" or 6th generation stuff is supposed to have some kind of option to control which cores does what or something; so i wanted to try the latest generation stuff; so yeah. no i didn't and no there's not. - triggered much? mission accomplished.

alright, good. why? do you?

>not GT710
what the fuck? why don't you just get a videogame-system or something instead?

Your a fucking faggot
If i ever see you imma punch you in the fucking face

Your a fucking faggot
If i ever see you imma punch you in the fucking face

bump