How does Cred Forums feel about the return of vinyl?

How does Cred Forums feel about the return of vinyl?

I work in the vinyl pressing industry. AMA

It's just a novelty now, sound quality is a LOT better digitally. You'd also have to most likely buy a record player, where you could only listen to it when you had the player with you plugged in.

How do you feel about the return of vinyl?

Op here.. I'd like to thank you personally for helping bring back the best form of music.

Love the novelty, the analog sound is fun and can smooth some settings for some people. Lots of people claim better sound quality, but you have to have insanely expensive equipment to beat a simple CD in a 200 player. I just like the physical aspect of working with it.

Op here.. You're right, it is more expensive. The physical aspect of it is fantastic. But as far as the cost, I've found that by doing just a little bit of searching you can find a vintage speaker/amplifier/equalizer setup for relatively cheap, if only because people don't know what they have, and by doing simple and cheap upgrades you can improve said vintage equipment ten fold.

Ambivalent.

It won't last.

What pressing plant do you work at?

groovy

If I weren't for all those hipster fags

I mean... It's keeping us in business so thats great. I DJ as hobbie and sifting through records at stores is a joy

I work in product development. We have a prototype press in operation. There are only a handful of companies developing new presses. I work for one of them.

I collect. Its meager but its shit I like. some new, some old as fuck. But its these hipster fuckers making it "trendy" that drives the fucking price up. And not even represses of older albums are worth 30-60 usd.

Certainly a different sound. But the price and effort isn't worth it.

Don't give a shit about it but I'm selling it and raking in cash

>mfw I just put the exact same master as the digital on it, with subs cut, and people claim the quality is higher

>mfw people still believe in the "digital sound waves cannot perfectly present the source material" myth

Keep buying my shit "audiophiles". You're just numbers to the artist

Op here, I agree that the recent rise of the hipster has somewhat ruined it, but to be honest I'm just glad to see it come back. It adds a personal aspect to the whole thing. The click and play music business we have today is awful. Not to mention the fact that if you have a vinyl copy of a record you're more inclined to sit and listen to the entire album as opposed to just picking songs. It helps you judge artists as it takes more to make a well rounded album than just a catchy song.

Quality in terms of noise is certainly better digitally because of post recording processing. But the analog nature of vinyl and the fact that it's "bit rate" is effectively infinite can give a recording a more natural "warm" sound.

The Digital copy press isn't an unknown thing. Their is a difference between a track by track recording process and live recording cut directly. Congrats on your quick google search though.

Post recording processing is a cancer unto true music. If it doesn't sound good in the studio natural, it's not going to sound good live.

Superior sound, IF yoi can find a decent turntable.

Good luck with that

I for one welcome back the superior sound of vinyl. Now excuse me while go take my homeopathic medicine and eat my organic salad.

Op here, more than decent turntables aren't to hard to find.

Yeah but what about affordability?

I'm "required" to keep a working turntable in the house for my wife's record collection. All I see in stores is shit-teir combo units. Don't wanna spend a lot of dough for electronics that will only be used 2 or 3 times a year when she drags her records out.

I collect vinyl, but in the terms of the Overtone series and bitdepth, vinyl is terrible audio.

If you're wife plays records that infrequently then it's probably only for show. Affordability shouldn't be a problem with music whether it be listening to music or actually playing it. If you pay $0.99 for a song, then expect the song to only be worth that much. A decent setup if done correctly would cost you the same if not less than a regular stereo system. And with the average (not vintage first press) vinyl only costing between $20-$30. It's not expensive at all..

"return of the vinyl"

this is, what, the 3rd or 4th time? and it wont be the last either.

She has a lot of vintage stuff, most of it from the 60s (we're old), and she gets nostalgic three or four times a year for older music.

OP, you're a faggot, and I found your final resting place

Vinyl was replaced for a reason