So, I've decided to quit smoking Cred Forums...

So, I've decided to quit smoking Cred Forums. I have half a pack left which I'll finish today then it's cold turkey tomorrow. Any ex-smokers on here with advice on how to deal with the inevitable cravings and withdrawal symptoms? Also, why did you quit? Or, if you didn't, why do you still smoke?

Additional information:

>I'm 23
>Been smoking since 17
>Smoke about 12/ per day
>Quitting because my dad is dying of smoking related illness
>Getting out the game while I'm still winning

Nicotine gum, bud.
Works just like dip so the nicotine rush is good.
Vaping wasn't a very good alternative for me because it just felt too similar to smoking, which inevitably tempts you to sneak a cigarette.
Using the gum gives your lungs a break, which means when you try to sneak a cigarette you ending up coughing and hacking, so the discouragement is there.

Good luck!

Not trolling but in my opinion if you really wanted to stop, you'd stop instead of giving yourself till the end of the packet.

I have some experience in helping people to stop habits like drugs, drink and smoking and generally I'd say someone isn't psychologically ready to stop if they're making deals with themselves on how and when.

Just stop and fight hard every minute of the day. It's hard, but good luck whatever you do.

Thanks, man. Yeah, my brother-in-law quit smoking like two years ago. He substituted smokes for vaping and he still vapes two years later. Seems kinda pointless to me. I'd rather just be done with inhaling shit all day. I'll definitely go for the gum.

I've heard the withdrawal symptoms get pretty tortuous around 3-5 days after quitting but that they are all but gone after two weeks. Was that your experience?

Thanks, man. You're probably right. Fuck it. I'm having one right now then I'll throw the rest out. This is my first time trying to stop. Well, I tried to cut down a couple of years ago and got down to three per day but it didn't last long.

The withdrawals are not really proper withdrawals, it's irritability and headache kind of stuff, maybe some liquid shits.

That goes away very fast but the actual desire to have a cigarette will stay with you for much much longer, possibly years.

I would advise you to take up exercise or something so that you associate not smoking with feeling fitter and healthier, it makes the benefit of stopping more tangible to you which is valuable in the times when you desperately want another smoke.

I already know I'm going to be irritable. I get tetchy after like three hours without a cig.

Yeah, I'm going to start exercising a little more. Also, I'm a skinny fuck so I'm hoping to alleviate the cravings with food, too. I'm not bothered about gaining weight.

Withdrawals last the rest of your life sadly. Stopped smoking 4 years ago and every so often I still feel like I need a cigarette at times. Especially when I walk past someone smoking. Just don't think about it really. Keep occupied and don't think about cigarettes.

Thanks, man. And well done. Hope I can stick it out as long as you. Why did you quit?

If you want a pro tip i would say take up swimming. One reason - there is absolutely no chance that you can hop off for a cheeky smoke.

Find a gym with a good pool, a sauna, steam room, jacuzzi or whatever. When you get home from work, go straight to the gym and do a few lengths and try to do more or faster each day. Reward yourself by chilling in a lovely warm sauna or steam room or jacuzzi afterwards.

3 benefits - guaranteed no smoking or any chance of being around smoke, sauna and steam help regenerate your lungs, and top notch low impact exercise and fitness.

Also you'll chat to people in there and distract yourself for a few hours if you want.

Good luck dude.

Those kinds of thoughts were kinda already with you and why you started in the first place. It's addictive personality.

I was a heavy smoker for almost 20 years. When I quit one of the things that helped me was to keep a unopened pack in the fridge. Seemed like I craved it more and would go nuts not having them there "Incase it got to be to much"then Everytime I went to the fridge to get one over the course of the first few days I would think if gone this long without opening them I can go a little longer. Chewing gum and jolly ranchers helped during the cravings also. Eventuality I just threw them away one day and that was the end of it. Hope this helps and good luck user

Good advice, man. Thanks. I don't really swim because I have huge, impossible not to notice, scars on my back but if it helps me quit and stops the cravings I'll put up with being stared at.

vaping OP!
don't listen to the other fags telling you it's gay. just don't give a fuck.
I smoked for almost 15 years. tried to stop numerous times with the gum and other substitutes. never worked out for me.

6 months ago I bought a vaporizer and low mg nicotine liquids which I gradually decreased over time.
now I'm also vape free for 2 months.
try it!!

Well when I was in high school I was a track runner. I started smoking around then and it got me out of shape and when I would even walk up my stairs I would get winded. I knew then it was time to quit. When you can't walk up a hill or stairs without running out of breath it makes you feel very weak. My lungs use to feel so heavy. Now I can run with ease and rarely get winded

Change your lifestyle around for a few weeks. Stopping to smoke can be pretty habitual and part of your daily routine. Try not to get stressed out and just take it easy

That's an interesting method. I don't think I have the impulse-control for that, though. I know if I have them I'll smoke them. I'll delude myself that it's only one smoke, then it's only two and so forth until I gradually begin smoking every day again.

I'll stock up on chewy things, though. Well done for quitting, man. Hope I can stick it out like you.

Well done, man. Memes aside, I think I'll avoid vaping anyway. I'm just kinda sick of inhaling shit into my lungs. I'm glad it worked for you. I'm just going to try gum for now.

Thanks, man. Appreciate it.

Yeah, I used to be athletic as fuck until I was about 21, then the smoking just took hold and I became feeble. Lost some weight, felt weak and breathless a lot of the time, no energy etc. I used to walk 3 miles to school every day, three miles back, then I'd walk another couple of miles to my friend's house after school. Nowadays, I get out of breath and tired if I walk half a mile.

Reading all this makes me happy that I never started. Good luck with quitting, resist your mind when it tells you to get some cigarettes :D

You're lucky, man. Well done. It's weird. The thing is, no-one enjoys their first cigarette but for some reason we persist until, not only do we like it, but we're addicted. It's fucked up.

OP, here. Thread is dead. Thanks for all the advice anons. I know it's just a shitty thread on Cred Forums but it could literally change my life.

I'm going to go whack my bag, now.
Bush did 9/11.

Checked
Also, find something else you can fill your usual smoking breaks with, just for the time being, after the first week you won't even notice it, for me it was vaping weed or having a beer, not the best week obviously, but been cig free for like a year now, I can't even stand the smell of it anymore

Good luck op. Don't let the fiend get you

Shit, man. Never even noticed my own Satanic Trips.

Well done on quitting, man. I'll try and replace my usual smoking habits with food and coffee, I think. Like I said before, I'm a skinny fuck so I don't mind gaining a little weight. In fact, it would be good for me.

Checked. And thank you. It's a miracle my dad made it so long. He smokes 30 per day, and started when he was 13. He's 52 now.

I just kind of realised that if I keep smoking that's what's going to kill me. I might get lucky and avoid the inevitable until I'm 70, or it might get me when I'm 35. So, I'm calling it in while I still can.

On my father's side of the family, not a single male has made it to retirement for as long as anyone knows. They all die between 40-60, due to cigarettes or booze.

>have half a pack left which I'll finish today
you already lost

Lurk more.