Ask an american ironworker anything

Ask an american ironworker anything.
Monday morning ill be working at a totall height of 125ft replacing a kid who just fell 35ft and is now paralyzed from the waist down.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=FzF1KySHmUA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

what hall u out of?

How do you feel about right to work?

wouldnt it be easier to get welfare?

How old were you when you realized your fav ice cream flavor was dick?

Why is the yearly contribution limit only $5,500 on a Roth IRA? Shouldn't it be more if we're expected to have money by retirement age?

OP here. was in 424 for 7 years but my brother punched the BA in the face 2 years ago and they black balled me. sadly i have been a scab ever since
much easier im going for disability around 40 yrs old though because that pays better

What local? And why the fuck wasn't that kid tied off? This ain't 1950 anymore.

that shit happens with scab outfits

Those choke points outta be spread further apart. That's amateur hour rigging right there.

He tied off with a 26' rope

Ive been gone for a month and they do something new. Whats with the birthday hat guys?

Why are so many of you so shit with hand signals?

I think you mean sling angle. That's bad though.

Op here the kid that fell was the owner of the company im starting withs son and apparantly he wasnt tied off was welding clips on a beem and tried to climb up using it while the weld was still hot it broke and fell three stories.

but your not working iron
your just putting a few screws in

Around his neck too, for safety?

im a crane operator cuz im afraid of hieghts, better pay, heta and a/c , less dangerous , your doing it wrong op

Can jet fuel melt iron beams?

It's steel, but they're called iron workers. Steelworkers are the pussies on the ground that make steel.

>black balling
>scabs
>disability as a retirement plan

And you wonder why everyone hates unions

OP again. the job i just left the foreman on it was illiterate and dyslexic and cripplingly addicted to benzos. he woiuld constantly be shouting out the wrong measurements or screaming for guys that he hasnt worked with in years. i recently stopped working with him when he nodded out at 6 a.m. and hit a jersey barrier. again thats what you get with scab outfits

Tower crane?

30 minute climb up in the morning and after work, id rather connect iron.

I'll remember that when I'm retired with a full pension and complete health benefits for me and my family. Suck it Gill

Is this bait? Unions still offer pensions and annuities for retirement. Let me know another organization that still offers that.

fuck no, told you im afraid of hieghts haha one of these

I've seen some crazy bastards walking around 60+ feet in the air not tied off to jack shit. I never understood how these idiots think.

Pics of your shit bucket or it didn't happen

My dad was an ironworker for 33 years. He said he did some stupid shit when he was younger, but that stopped after he watched someone fall.

at this last job i had with the illiterate forman we honestly would never tie off unless we can be seen by a highway or a major road. the boss owned his own crane too so we have ridden the ball up 3 stories more than a few times

How much do you make op? I have a feeling not enough for that shit

Glorified pile butt

new job is $32/ hr last job was $28/hr
literally no benifets or paid time off since i stopped working union

Why do they do this? I've heard guys say so they can get it done faster meanwhile they're getting paid hourly. Are they legit retarded and risking their lives to make some millionaire $40 a week more?

Fuck off scab shitbag.

You can make more being a plumber or sparky, man. Wtf?

i started off making $17/hr in 2005

>He's stealing our jobs!

ITT machismo causing completely avoidable deaths.

Pension is like musical chairs for retirement. Hope you get yours before it goes bankrupt

He is. I hope more scab shitscums fall.

> tried to climb up using it while the weld was still hot

how does it feel to steal a retarded one his job?

Lol

Get rekt amerishit

Keep working for your masters

Do you have open end adjustable spud wrenches or fixed size closed spud wrenches

Doesn't sound like he was experienced enough for that type of work.

i guess its in my blood. my dad was a steel worke and my grandfather and all his brothers worked on the goerge washington bridge and his dad befor that was the village blacksmith.

when i was a kid my old man fell 60 ft, went dont with two guys on a swing staging he landed on a small gaurd shack stood up with only a broken hand and immediately ran to the bar across the street and started drinking, he didnt know it at the time but the other two guys were crushed to death by falling beams, counter weights and debris

>immediately ran to the bar across the street and started drinking, he didnt know it at the time but the other two guys were crushed to death by falling beams, counter weights and debris
America

lel, implying that the drop from higher than 35 ft is mor edamaging

inb4 what is terminal velocity?

"I'm entitled to more than this guy because my union reps told me so"

Cry more faggot

both and 4 different sizes of open end i have a bunch of broken and antique ones too i want to make into knives one day

Real Iron Workers don't tie off, that's for pussies.

I feel I must use this oppurtunity to tell all ironworkers to fuck directly off.

Case in point.

I operate cranes too. And an on a steel job

The union blackballed him. Is he supposed to start waiting tables or something?

Are you a drunk?
Are you stoned?
How many felonies do you have?
Do you beat your wife?

This test will determine if you really are an ironworker

In my country we call them steel fixers. You know, because they fix steel not iron.

ACTUAL SERIOUS QUESTION:

CAN JET FUEL MELT STEEL BEAMS?

op here and im fairly certain it cant but i know some ignorant steelworkers who argue both sides

Why don't go tie a "get well" balloon to roadkill like it is a new joke?

I loose money and work because these shit stains low ball bids and then cut corners, and do shotty work, making the whole industry look bad

*shoddy*

English Scaffolder here you'll fucking bounce from that height stop whinging

Safety shit gets in your way half the time, I knock my head about 50 times more often wearing a hard hat than without

I wasn't joking you autistic retard

What's the highest up you've ever worked?

>a good Union man is a dead Union man

Probably a really really fucking dead horse for you but, you must have overheard/been directly involved in enough banter about 9/11 to fill a fucking library. What's the general concensus amongst iron workers on what happened?

>Safety shit gets in your way half the time

Well it fucking does, certain jobs and tasks sure go full safety but average day I don't need to be re setting up a harness every 10 minutes working on price

220ft connecting supports for a smoke stack at a power plant that eventually blew up when it was almost finished

Hahaha local 401 picture. Local 405 here

just used a stock photo. nice trips btw

They are in my same cityand are crazy fuckers. I stick with rods

Why tf wasn't that nigger wearing a harness.

Alot of 401 guys don't tie off. Its just what they do

I am a blue collar, I never was good at school, but I can weld and fix an engine.

I was good in school have a 4 year degree and can weld and fix an engine. What was your point again?

that he wasn't good at school but can weld and fix an engine, i believe was his point...

well done for being smarter than someone else on an anonymous website.

Why do so many native Americans do iron work?
What's the coldest temperature you worked?

some situations you really cant do 100% safe or tied off. around here your actually not supposed to tie off to a piece thats still connected to the crane because if that goes down its taking you with it

youtube.com/watch?v=FzF1KySHmUA

Plus the yoyo jams alot

I'm not austistic because you can't google for answers to stale old questions.

ive worked with a bunch of mohawk indians and befor ever trying it in the 1920's there people were just naturally good at walking on steel i can only assunme its from living in a woodland new england setting for thousands of years where they would probably often be climbing trees and walking over downed logs and such.

Get back in the union ya fucking scab rat

also -10 with 35mph winds

A genetic predisposition to having no fear of heights.

that definitely could be true. i know that i was born with a fear of heights but that went away after a few months working on steel beams.

How badass really are the workers who built the bridge next to hoover dam?

not sure havent seen them in the bar yet

>2016
>supporting unions

What are you a ducking entitled liberal millenial? Unions were great when I was your age, kid. Now they just rape companies into the ground and are partially responsible for our fucked up labor job market.

Thank you David Koch

ducking

>Steelworkers are the pussies on the ground that make steel.

Fuck you, faggot. Steelworker here. You are an iron worker because you couldn't pass the tests to get into a mill, either drug or aptitude.

>I knock my head about 50 times more often
>wearing a hard hat

are you retarded