Guess that mathematical function!

Guess that mathematical function!

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Square_wave#Examining_the_square_wave
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dirac_delta_function
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generalized_function
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Function_(mathematics)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fourier_series
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Dopler

that's not a function my dood

f(a)G = OP

X = medieval castle

Looks like those doors used in Scooby Doo where the gang and the bad guy all run back n forth.
So therefore I dub this...
The Jinkie Function!

Shot in the dark
Arctan (sinx/6)
Probly very off

Looks like one to me.

fucking kek

non-discrete values for several parameters (every vertical line) => not a function

Not a function since you can't have vertical lines in functions... If they were asymptotes then they should be dotted lines.

Exponential growth and decay.
Build the wall formula, maybe?

Different y values from the same x? Wat
You'd need at least three functions to at least sort of assemble this

Op here, none of you are anywhere close

that looks right to me

mathematically it is not. a function need to map a domain value to only one codomain value. each of those "vertical lines" makes of that plot something that is not a function.

OP=f+a*g

Maybe they're not vertical lines but rather very steep lines which, because of the size of the picture, look vertical.

maybe that's true, but from OPs image, it definitely doesn't LOOK like a function

Yea nah maybe ur a cunt

Yea nah maybe ur the cunt

Op here.

Answer:
(Round[x]%2==0) ? (| x^2-10 |) : (-x^2-10)

If[Round[x]~Mod~2 == 0, Abs[x^2 - 10], -x^2 - 10]

obviously
hur dur
how stoned are you

You're an idiot

Well, it is clearly y=( x^2 - a bit ) * ( a square wave ) ..

You could describe a square wave as an infinite series and approximate an answer.

so, your graphing software is too shitty to not draw vertical lines?

also, Round[x] is not a mathematical operator, so that's not a mathematical function.

so its a what function?
dont answer not mathematical

Is the double derivative a negative? Perhaps it's a parabole, perhaps it's the inverse of a cosine, perhaps it's neither.

Not enough info so my answer is wrong, but I'm gonna say it's 1/(cos(x)+10) * ∑n=0∞(an)cos(n(ω0)5)

maybe it's defined by intervals and the straight lines are x=something in each interval equal to that particular something...
(still not a function written in one "line" but still a function i gues...)

it might not be a fonction but we can still guess how you could write this using for example Xsquare as defined here :
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Square_wave#Examining_the_square_wave

i'm guessing it's a mathworks function... but it's not a mathematical function. here's another example of a not-mathematical function:

int c() {
string user = "fag";
return user=="fag"?11:24;
}

still a function, just not a mathematical one.

This is first class of signals and systems level.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dirac_delta_function

Get the fuck out.

How about "Discontinuous" you unmathematical whale turd

a function can be discontinuous but mathematical

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dirac_delta_function
page you refer to directly links to

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generalized_function

which is not a function in a strict mathematical sense. you should study more to pass signals and systems...

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Function_(mathematics)

A function f from X to Y is a subset of the Cartesian product X × Y subject to the following condition: every element of X is the first component of one and only one ordered pair in the subset.[4] In other words, for every x in X there is exactly one element y such that the ordered pair (x, y) is contained in the subset defining the function f. This formal definition is a precise rendition of the idea that to each x is associated an element y of Y, namely the uniquely specified element y with the property just mentioned.

dirac delta isn't a function, but a distribution.

never said it wasn't a function; just not a mathematical function. there are definitely discontinuous functions in math, and the function you described can be written mathematically, but you'd have to actually define round mathematically with a piecewise function and not just be lazy and use Round[x], you discrete dolphin dick

Lol a mathmatical function by its definition has only one output per input. This function fails to meet the definition of a function in mathmatics for the same reason x=2 fails.

I'm not an expert but you can't unsee the obvious.

*tips tinfoil hat in sincere respect

yeah, just draw line that are not there

Too lazy to figured out the actual numbers, but it would looks something like:

Y=-bx for [-10,-9.5), y=bx for (-9.5,-8.5), y=-bx for (-8.5, -7.5),...etc.

Mathematically it cannot be written as a single, continuous function.

This function is composed by an oscilating term and a attenuating term.
First, you can see it's limited by, probably, y=|x^2 - 9|, that's the attenuating term.
It's easy to see that the period of the oscilating term is 2.
Since the function is even, it's easier to consider the period 4, since the Fourier Expansion will be simpler (all b_n terms will be zero)
Define the function

f(x) = 1, 0

Thats not a function retard. Fuction means one x gives only ONE y which doesnt happen in this graph

Guaranteed it can be written out. Hint: square wave with damping and exciting factors.

square wave isn't continuous

square wave => not a mathematical function

also, seems to have done a decent job of finding the non square version of the function but then fucked it up by adding \thread to the end of his post like a goddamned retard

IT is an amplitude modulated square wave

It is a function. It can be written as a infinite series of sin and cos.
Since sin and cos are both continuous functions, a linear combination of both IS a continuous functions aswell

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fourier_series
Check this out

Castlebuilder's Constant

Go /thread yourself on reddit gigantic faggot

Typo, it's actually

f(x) = |x^2 - 9| * sum[ 2 * ((-1)^n) / (n*pi) ] from 1 to infinite

niggas be like a function can't have imaginary numbers

Dude - you guys are in the wrong forum. This is Cred Forums where we fap to facebook photos and rate each others cocks...

that could well be the graph of a function; but the answer OP posted is not a function.

and a fourier series doesn't have vertical lines in the graph; they just approach vertical. for electronics work, the value can be assumed to be binary because the transition time is known to be small enough to not interfere with computation

three 2. degree polynomia working on different intervals of x.

this nigga doin his homework like morty
>What is 5x9?
>Um, you know, it's, uh, at least 40.
>Morty! That's exactly correct! 5x9 IS at least 40!

>not returning an integer datatype
>using C++ strings and not char

also that's fucking retarded and it makes no sense what so ever and would not compile. so many wrongs. no rights. how dare you.

something like

g(x)= -2x²

h(x)= x^4+3.2x^3+2x^2-1x^1+0.5

i(x)= x - 0.5* floor(x/0.5)

f(x)= If[i(x) > 0.25, g(x), h(x)]

just tweak the values a bit

Put your CS101 lips on my char star and kiss my ass

not C++, you're both retarded. go back to class before you embarrass yourselves any more.

at least is smart enough to make fun of me for being lazy and using C#.

yourass.kiss()

1:1 undefined reference to `yourass.kiss'

>using Microsoft stuff

also don't have windows except on one laptop I never use. never used c# so you win ig

only if you tickle my asshole w/ ur header files

Nerds

>x=2 fails

>
If[Round[x]~Mod~2 == 0, Abs[x^2 - 10], -x^2 - 10]

That function doesn't fail for any value of x whatsoever.

That's strange because my ass is already in a class of its own. Maybe you just don't know the right methods.

>not wanting to make easy money

did you send him a copy of IYourAss?

I'll teach you to import my libraries until you return zero.

maybe your right. programming is not my main focus though.

>implying I wasn't using C

Doesn't look right...

OP is a fag, read what function is

Here, nigglies

seems an amplitude modulation of a binary signal or some shit like that

i see why you went w/ the vertical line version; much prettier

Thank you OP.

I am delighted to see something intelligent on this shitpost board.

Wait a fucking minute. This is a bait thread.

eh, all the fun stuff's done in c++, but when you have fuckhead b-school users and it's due in two days, .Net is the only way you're going to have time to fap after work.

Yes I do C C++ and Python. but I have gnu/Linux so no .NET although supposedly there's a framework similar that you can use with WINE but that's too much trouble for something I won't use.

did c++ in school; would probably take a couple weeks of throwing shit and swearing at the dog before I could do much with it these days. did a python project once for my AI class, but in the time it took to run, I rewrote it in c++ and got my results; was probably my fault for doing a shitty job of pythoning. need to learn it though.

It's a block wave with something superimposed on it.
Block wave = Sum (for i 0 -> +OO) ((1/(2n-1)) * sin ((2n-1) * x) iirc
(Just look up Fourier analysis if you wanna be sure)

ye,all about right tool for right job.

ALL PROGRAMS MUST BE WRITTEN IN ASSEMBLY OR UR A CASUL REEEEEEEEEEEE