Ask a bored, 30 year old dude whos been employed at the same shipyard since 18 anything. Who knows...

Ask a bored, 30 year old dude whos been employed at the same shipyard since 18 anything. Who knows..i may have something for you.

Bump

1. What state?
2. Why still at the shipyard? Not much else going on in town? Too inconvenient to move?
3. What does a shipyard guy do on a daily basis?

Ingalls,pascagoula ms.

There were no good jobs growing up. So i joined the yard. It provides...got a pension and all. Not too bad.

What a shipyard guy does on a daily basis..depends on craft. I was sheet metal (building duct work). Alot of welding. Ive not been on my tools in 8 years or so, so I basically watch deadlines and lurk

What was going through your head when you turn 30 do you feel different?

What do you eat for breakfast, lunch, and dinner on a regular work day?

I suppose I feel normal. Got material things in life I never thought were ever attainable. It is kind of a bummer driving to the same place over and over

have you seen any accidents? if not, what has been your worst experience doing the job? please include details!

I eat a good breakfast, every morning..i feel its very important. Usually eggs, bacon, english muffin..etc. Over the years ive combined them or taken them apart. Lunch is usually what i can tote in my lunchbox. Ive gotten more health wise over the time and traded in cold pizza and beer for smoked turkey or some other protein that doesnt taste disgusting cold.

Sounds like we had a similar upbringing
Are your parents still together or alive?

Accidents are horrible out there. Upper management has tried to slow this down using stop badges, but they dont work. Last month our casualties in my work area included: a man from 10 department (scaffolding) fall 40 feet down an access trunk on Ddg117. Broke his hip and several ribs. A young man from 808 (welder) got his face smashed open when a strong back came loose and crushed his face, his eye balls popped out of his head. And a lady from 35 department (electrical) tripped on the inverted unit of ddg 121 and had a 9 inch all thread go through her hand.

My dad is 77, my mom slightly younger.still married much to my dads dismay, lol

goddamn! do you guys have a union or something? like, start a protest for better working conditions and what not.

Every craft has a union out here. The company pays very well for injuries..as you could probably guess...its an abused system

How do you deal with depression or uncertainty

have you ever gotten injured on the job?

I guess the worst thing ive actually seen with my own eyes was a machinest get his fingers electrocuted off. I didnt know that was even possible

wow. i didn't know that either.

Depends on the depression, or the uncertainty. Its all relative

.I goobered up and sanded my finger tips off to the bone. It was a dumb, painful mistake

like with a machine or by hand. i can't imagine a guy sanding something and then sanding it to the point that they're scraping away their fingers.

How many times you done heroin?

A big ass blue belt sander. I was in the shop, young as shit. Took a part off of a machine that water jets it into form. Cleaned it up..and like a dummy i forgot how powerful those machines are and set my left hand down.. Right on the fuckin belt. And just that easy, i saw my hand bones for the first time. Havent done it since, the first time wasent something to write home about

Heroin? I think once.

Anyway. Sorry this wasnt more informative. Thanks for keepin me company. I got shit to do