Double digit ratings drop spells DOOM for the NFL...

Double digit ratings drop spells DOOM for the NFL. The first 7 prime time games of this year indicate an 11% drop in viewership over last year, the seventh consecutive year of declining viewership, and the worst ratings since at least 2009. Add into the mix the social issues the NFL has been dealing with, pending litigation against it which it will have to settle, and the already precarious financial structure of the league itself, and it becomes very clear that the NFL is in its last days.

Advertisers are going to be unwilling to pay top dollar for slots few people see anymore, and many are leaving the NFL altogether for both financial and social reasons. Either way, ad revenue is the lifeblood of the NFL's business model and it is going away.

Will you miss it, anons?

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=FWhZ2XS08aQ
m.youtube.com/watch?v=nLRZyBeuJDA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Fuck no

Concussion egg is on borrowed time

nigger ball does not matter, nobody is ever going to care about nigger ball, and sunday NFL regular season games have comparable ratings to the NBA fuckin finals. nigger.

I have a long bet going with my friend that the NBA will overtake the NFL in 20 years.

That being said, NFL needs to get on their shit with streaming games. Need more events like the Jets/Bills twitter stream.

'niggerball' is a much more popular sport globally and the NBA is growing massively in other countries around the world.

Meanwhile only rednecks and retards (99% of america) care about handegg and kids won't even be playing it in 10 years because of the awareness of concussion and CTE

Great idea, but the question is how to pay for it and how to turn it into revenue. The problem with streaming is that online ad revenue isn't there.

MLS shall overpass NFL in two generations

Tbf, there have only been 2 out of the 7 primetime games worth watching this year: Carolina v Denver and GB v Minnesota. The rest have been shit teams vs other shit teams.

And only the Sunday night games are on regular tv.

I imagine a lot of it has to do with people like myself who are unwilling to pay for cable and have resorted to streaming.

Stupid people.. Saying stupid things.

Which sport do you guys like again? The NFL is fine and you should feel bad for being retarded.

I would honestly pay a few bucks a month or something upfront if I could watch the games live, on official sites. I almost signed up for NFL Gamepass or whatever, but then realized it was only replays of games. Why would I want that?

don't kid yourself, nobody cares about basketball except for us which is evident by the way other countries play in the olympics. and no, kids have been dying on the football field for as long as it's been a sport and that hasn't stopped us yet. there were massive rule changes to prevent deaths, and nothing further is going to be done because nobody cares enough except for the vocal SJW minority.

ALL sports are declining, not just NFL. And not just in the US either. Sports TV viewership is in decline around the world. So are participation rates.

So it's not just NFL that's dying, it's sports in general that's dying. Video games, movies, tv shows, social media are taking up more and more of young people's time.

Licensing rights on live broadcasts/geographic market. It's what the owners agreed to.

Even radio.

It's simple

The core viewership is sick of the drama and attempts at bringing in other demographics with all their gimmicks that they're getting a fire in at sealed too few regulars they don't care anymore

>mfw /bundas/liga is #1 in Europe
UK isn't europe btw.

na, just young people don't py for it and stream games
I don't know anyone who pays for cable/streaming, but most of my friends are watching football, handegg etc

Funny. I was about to post a similar topic on /ck/

>BREAKING: CORD CUTTERS ACROSS THE COUNTRY SPELLS DOOM FOR FOOD NETWORK

Yeah that explains part of the decline but not all of it. Young people are overall less interested in sports. They are more individualistic, and have less connection with their community etc which is a big part of sports.

not sure I can agree with you there
maybe they watch more different sports now
but I don't think young people are less interested in sports

I live in the south, sandwiched two hours away between two cities that have NFL teams, and no one gives a shit about NFL. It's all about college football.

Another point: this year's super bowl was the 3rd most watched tv program of all time.

Probably because everyone streams it now

>globally
it's pretty clear that the USA couldn't care less about what other countries like.

That Goodell guy (casual here; can you tell?) knows the NFL is going to get BTFO, and that's why they're making such a big push to make it popular in other countries. Most of the bad stories about the NFL don't make it abroad, so they can start with a clean slate. I don't even know what that concussion disease is called, for example. Laws are different in Europe, and you can't deny that nouveau-riche dive countries like Qatar and China won't care as much if their imported Africans get brain damage for entertainment. In 20 years, the NFL will be seen like human dogfighting, but that won't mean people have stopped playing it.

they are trying to push it into other countries to get more money because they are a company and like money,not because it's lacking.
the NFL is fine
R-E-L-A-X

these deals run out in 2022, expect a fuck load of changes after the 2022 season.

This is dumb. There are other explanations.

People are cutting their subscriptions to cable, and in its place they are going out to bars and drinking away their savings.

The turnout at my local sports bar has grown in the past few years. This is a good think for the sport. But it isn't tracked as a unit of measurement.

Demographics change, and so do the way they watch sports. It doesnt mean anything is dead or dying.

Please don't switch to our sport

Well yeah more milennials than ever are streaming, legally and illegally

>6 more years of using sketchy stream sites

;-;

this
out of a social circle of ~20 people that I regularly hang out with/see/actually do stuff with, like 3 of them have cable

the rest of of us go to bars and stream when there's something we want to watch, cable is such a laughable ripoff, you have to really be into bad tv and tv as a habit in general to have it because you're throwing at best $300/year away on it

It's more like each subsequent generation has become more educated and sees sports as nothing more than petty entertainment to appeal and subjugate the masses.

sounds like you're all a bunch of college aged faggots who can't afford anything so you make up excuses as to why having 50 billion television channels is somehow a bad thing.

Maybe the quality of the commercials has declined?

Sounds like you want to be right more than you want to be educated.

Cable is a ripoff and it is drastically losing its merit as technology progresses. The job of the NFL is to find ways to saturate these growing mediums of product delivery and monetize them.

it's not a rip off at all, you people are probably just looking at the monthly fee without realizing that TV is bundled with phone and internet. and HD cable boxes are only an extra 8 dollars a month. you are probably too young to remember how expensive internet used to be. i don't see how technology can move past cable, i don't want to watch NFL games on my fucking computer.

It just means baseball is going to take spot 1 and football back down to spot 2

This has happened before

I personally don't mind , apehoop peaked at the MJ era but physically peaked in the 80s

Hockey is getting popular and baseball is always popular

I posted this in another thread and I wanted to share my thoughts.

I've stopped watching football since 2014. This sport has become so pussified thanks to Goodell and Obama. Here's my complaints.

-Domestic violence outrage from feminists
-Concussion protocols
-Black players not standing up for the flag
-Everything is pink in October
-Having NFL regular season games in London and Mexico
-Tom Brady being framed
-Moving the Rams to LA
-Gay NFL players

I hope the NFL commissioner is more like Trump. He'll put an end to all of this crap.

>the meme sport is losing viewership because are finally realising the NFL is shit

>-Moving the Rams to LA
The retards in STL never cared about the Rams after they won a SB

It is evident by both attendances and TV viewership

LA doesn't care about a Pro Football team but it will at least be somewhat viewed because we have 8 million different fans living in the area

>Thinks streaming games means you can't watch on TV

No wonder you have such a dumbass opinion.

Thanks for outing yourself as a lazy mongloid

shut up kid. i don't want to hook up my PC to my TV either, they're in different rooms. i only do that for starcraft.

Nice b8

The Rams moved to a non-white majority city that doesn't care too much for football. Koreans, Mexicans, Chinese, Persians, and Blacks comprise most of LA. How the hell is Silent Stan's team going to do outreach when they don't care? The St. Louis Area is much more whiter and more American than LA.

This shit really is starting to get overbearing

every week I have to hear about some new 75 IQ retard who decided to kneel or raise his fist instead of the actual games

Thanks for reaffirming my point
You obviously never set foot in California let alone the west coast

There'll be more this week especially for the Carolina Panthers where there are protests in Charlotte. I'm glad Cam Newton isn't stooping down to Kaep's level. These black NFL players are becoming animals/subhuman.

Eu no, Europe yes

Dude shut the fuck up with the racist bullshit. There's "haha look at how shocking this is I'm saying the n word" and then there's this crap where you actually believe it and decide "I'm going to rant on Cred Forums about it!" Just stop.

Either people are protesting the nogs kneeling during the anthem, or New England is tuning over the Brady suspension.

Your football gets more concussions, ours just gets the attention.

Gamepass shows live games if you're not in US or certain other blackout areas. I think Mexico, Canada and UK don't get live games either. You even get most of the US ads when watching the games live. And you get NFL network stream for pre and post games.

I have Gamepass for a second year and I've never had a problem with it. It's pricy but I get all the games whenever I want in HD without having to deal with shitty streams. I'm willing to pay for not having to spend time finding shitty streams in early morning hours so I can wake up when the game starts and have everything ready instantly.

>open NFL GamePass
>select desired game
>press the Chromecast icon
>select the device
>TV automatically switches to the correct source
Not really that difficult.

>and many are leaving the NFL altogether for both financial and social reasons.
The media wishes this where true. They'll keep saying it too until the NFl bends to their political agenda. Pure garbage,

They are like that because you kept taunting them, and they decided to act like they think you do.

>Dude shut the fuck up with the racist bullshit.

I'm sorry, but I'm telling it like it is you SJW. You've decided to throw down the racist card on me. Not cool bro. Black players in the NFL basically blow all their money, father illegitimate children, retire cause they're old and worn out, and then file for bankruptcy. They need to act white when white people come to watch them on Sunday. BLM is infiltrating the NFL. Black people get shot everyday like white people do by the police. This SJW stuff needs to stop.

good post

>black start a race based separatist movement
>how dare you be racist!

except i'm not a kid, so i don't only use my TV to watch sports. the fact that it shows NFL along with everything else is a convenience. and i'm not going to pay for another service on top of cable when i already have NFL broadcasts.

Please, spicball aka boreball is already a dead sport.

Lacrosse and soccer are the future of the USA

Baseball stealing ratings in the North East big time this year

This is true.

>Niners vs Rams
>Steelers vs redskins
>Eagles vs Bears

A totally shit fest, thanks SJWPN

HAHAHAHAHAHA. lacrosse isn't even televised, and the MLS as a whole produces less revenue than single teams in other leagues.

Good point that. This year's MLB postseason will be the highest rated in a long long time. That will further hurt NFL ratings (apart from election debates)

when nyc and boston are winning, baseball ratings are always up

literally every network program is down.

Are you kidding me, look at the youth level. Those 2 sports, especially Lacrosse, is fucking huge and has shown significant growth.

Yep. Boston, Chicago, NYC, LA, SF, Texas -- all will have postseason baseball this season. All big markets.

>Need more events like the Jets/Bills twitter stream.

all thursday night games are streamed on twitter this year

the NFL is actually doing fine on this front, they're locked into hyuge television deals. i'm sure they'd stream everything if they could without seriously fucking everything up.

lacrosse is not huge, it's a high school sport that only exists in upper middle class communities. and showing growth after being literally nothing for decades is not impressive.

Yeah I was only commenting on your tech illiteracy because you're acting as if getting shit from your phone/PC to the TV is difficult.

Since you're already paying out of your ass for cable you don't need another service. And yes cable is a total rip off no matter what you claim. For you Gamepass is shit. For someone who doesn't have cable and wants to see the games it's great, especially if you combine it with a cheap vpn/vps in Europe.

good point, I can't even imagine the ratings for a cubs world series

i've already explained why it isn't a rip off. the amount that i'm paying for cable, a phone line and internet is $40 LESS than what i used to pay for internet alone. i know i'm talking to a bunch of kids who've never had to pay their own bills but i'm surprised at how little you all know about the evolution of cable. i've never been happier with my set up.

honestly, the problem is the networks for primetime games. the broadcasters and commentators are legit trash.

sure, every team has trash announcers, but people tolerate their own homer announcers just because, when you watch a primetime game of teams you don't really care about, it's really off-putting to hear Michaels and Collinsworth or Gruden and that other guy ramble on about inane shit or force stupid storylines.

primetime games are overproduced and oversaturated with narrative, and it's really off-putting if you are on the fence about watching the game in the first place. just report the action on the field

second

the same losers who shit on cable are the guys begging for 480p streams with shit bitrates for every event

Peyton Manning would make a great commentator. CBS needs to hire him.

>NFL ratings are dropping
Fucking big surprise, people are noticing the sport is not what the TV tells them it is.

And now commercial break.

What primetime games have been relevant?

I mean, it's the fucking start of the season, NFL doesn't even get good until the playoff hunt begins.

I don't know shit about handegg, but I feel like the latest South Park episode has perfectly described how the sport has basically turned into a big soap opera and people don't watch it for the actual game, but for the drama that surrounds it.

Being on Cred Forums, I noticed how almost every week there seems to be a new controversy of a handegg player either beating up his wife or hating on America.

i unironically believe the NFL will fall behind the NBA and MLB with the younger generations when we grow up

incompetently managed, NFL players get by far the shittiest contracts in sports, concussions + permanent brain damage, etc

who the fuck is gonna let their athletically gifted children play football now? i'd let my kid screw around with it in middle school but it'd be retarded to go pro in the NFL when the MLB and NBA exist with their fatter contracts, longer careers, and much less risk of permanently fucking your brain up

try not to get your opinions on things from a show about satire.

And how much is that?

But that's the thing. People don't like this soap opera shit, that's why ratings are down. People want to watch their team play, not watch the media create drama about shit that has nothing to do with the actual game.

By attempting to appeal to women and non-sports fans by pushing social and political narratives, they are alienating their existing fanbase while not really gaining any new ones, because no non-football fan is going to put on Monday Night Football over The Voice or The Bachelor or whatever else they are into just to hear the broadcaster talk about Kaepernick or domestic abuse the entire game.

$90 per month for phone line, internet and 400 tv channels.

ironic that Cam Newton is usually hated by the Cred Forums KKK committee and he's not even stooping down to the level of his fellow race.

Cam Newton is the perfect example of how you can still be black without being a shithead.
Unfortunately he'll be called an Uncle Tom at some point, but that couldn't be further from the truth.

bill burr has a fantastic bit about how women have ruined football but i can't be arsed to find it.

>ironic that Cam Newton is usually hated by the Cred Forums KKK committee and he's not even stooping down to the level of his fellow race.

Cam Newton is a white man in a black body. He knows how to make money and win.

And how many of those TV channels do you watch on a regular basis? Having 400 channels is nice but when over 95% of them serve shit it's not a great deal.

I like Bill Burr, he's no Patrice O'Neal but he's good
m.youtube.com/watch?v=FWhZ2XS08aQ
m.youtube.com/watch?v=nLRZyBeuJDA

about 70 of them are movie channels and i've watched all of them at some point in time, except for the spanish language ones, so that's about 65 actual movie channels. channel 2 through 56 is standard cable, watched all of those except BET and MTV, so that's about 50 channels. from 60 until 300 is sports and movie channels with commercials. i don't watch the ones with commercials so i've watched about 100 of those. there's also a few channels in that section that show stupid shit like poker and chess that i don't watch. but i watch or have watched about 70% of the channels that i pay for.

bill is pretty fucking on target in his rant

That's a very good deal. Which state? Do you get your local MLB team's games as part of this package?

NFL is fine, it's TV that is dying. I hope one day we can have a stream with multi cam and only the sound of the field instead of stupid announcers. I would rather pay fir that that watching baseball for free

new york, channel 60 shows the Mets and channel 70 for the Yankees, unless their game is on a national channel then it gets replaced with news or college football.

Wow so you get both Yankees and Mets games. It's an absolute steal of a deal for general sports fans

>NFL is fine, it's TV that is dying.
Yep. it's why ABC/ESPN/Disney has decided to hijack the Anthem against what I'm sure are the wishes of the NFL. They know that the NFL doesn't need them anymore.

>Obama

I can't even make fun of this

This is what is gonna happen when Trump is President.

>FBI will raid NFL offices
>Goodell will be forced to resign over anti-trust matters from USFL
>Jerry Jones becomes new commissioner of the NFL
>harsh penalties for domestic violence is relaxed, "let boys be boys."
>no more concussion protocols, it's like the global warming conspiracy, so dirty hits are back
>black players will have to respect the flag or be fined and/or suspended
>no more pink in October
>no more regular season games outside of the United States (football is an American sport)
>Tom Brady wins the next 8 Super Bowls
>Aaron Rodgers is outed and is kicked out of the league due to NFL's Don't Ask Don't Tell policy
>Rams are forced to move back to St. Louis, Mexico doesn't deserve a NFL team

It's not a coincidence that when Obama went into the office he put pressure on the NFL. Case in point, the Ben Roethlisberger rape accusations.

This

you reap what you sow. making fun of the nfl/baseball/etc landed you the worst fans we have to offer.

SF is a terrible baseball market. The world series with the giants have all rated horribly. The only California team with a good audience is the dodgers. Also the giants aren't making the playoffs. Texas doesn't really give a fuck about baseball. Toronto though, that's huge, their everyday viewership is 5 times higher than the next team, 1 million people everyday watch them, probably more now that they're pretty much in the playoffs. The crowd in Seattle the past couple days is insane also, 90% jays fans. Good shit leafs. If they make it to the series viewership could rival anyone but what the cubs would bring, since half the country would probably be watching

But yeah, a cubs world series would be massive. Would have the best ratings in at least a decade, easily. If it's the red sox also that would be insane. Jays would be huge, but not in the states

>>FBI will raid NFL offices
>>Goodell will be forced to resign over anti-trust matters from USFL
>>Jerry Jones becomes new commissioner of the NFL
>>harsh penalties for domestic violence is relaxed, "let boys be boys."
>>no more concussion protocols, it's like the global warming conspiracy, so dirty hits are back
>>black players will have to respect the flag or be fined and/or suspended
>>no more pink in October
>>no more regular season games outside of the United States (football is an American sport)
>>Tom Brady wins the next 8 Super Bowls
>>Aaron Rodgers is outed and is kicked out of the league due to NFL's Don't Ask Don't Tell policy
>>Rams are forced to move back to St. Louis, Mexico doesn't deserve a NFL team

sounds awesome tbqh. sign me up.

>>>Tom Brady wins the next 8 Super Bowls
Yep. Other than:

>>Tom Brady wins the next 8 Super Bowls

that would be perfect.

NFL is never going away. Without rule changes or uniform changes to prevent head injuries I do see ape hoop and boreball passing it in revenue within 20 years though. People aren't letting their kids play football anymore. It's too dangerous and requires too many drugs to be successful at it.

I see. Wasn't aware of the SF situation. Agreed about Jays, but as you say they won't have great ratings in the States.

>People aren't letting their kids play football anymore.
Why do people believe this sophistry? Because the media keeps saying it?

Do you really think poor black mothers in the south (where the majority of the players come from) give a half a damn about 'CTE'?

As long as there are poor people, violent sports will be a way out of poverty. It's true all over the world, and won't cease being true anytime soon.

>revenue keeps going up
>worried about a slight dip in tv ratings
kek the nfl is going out of its way to pamper to cord cutter babies. The only one that should be worried is e$pn because it's clear that the NFL hates them getting any coverage and goes out of it's way to give them the shittiest game of the week. I can see MNF becoming a stream only game once e$pn fucks off for good.

Stfu faggot. Cam has no heart. He experienced a fuckton of racism last season. He is afraid of falling out of favor with whitey. He's got 60 million guaranteed and He couldn't even support kap. That's some spineless bullshit. Plus If u look at the gay bullshit he's been wearing lately...blacks been kicked him to the curb.

Kap is a patsy clown. Why would Cam want anything to do with that dumpster fire?