Real talk: legit kino or oscar bait?

Real talk: legit kino or oscar bait?

its incredibly well made, but its basically critic proof. the torture is far too gratuitous and the film frequently shows too much, however you can instantly say shit like WELL ITS SLAVERY IT WAS CRUEL AND FUCKING HORRIBLE but we dont need to see it in the film to know this, it just felt kinda too much. and the dning was painfully fucking rushed, too much time showing people being whipped and tortured and then brad pitt (who was also the main producer...hmmm) shows up and saves the day. cinematography was exceptional tho, so was the cast except cumberbunch whose accent was fucking terrible, also i dont think its oscar bait at all, birth of a nation is oscar bait, precious was oscar bait, 12yas is clearly in another league

Great movie, shame about the pol babies here that can't look past the subject matter. Mcqueen is great

kek im gay

It was a stellar film that will be shit on by anons who haven't seen it or closed the tab 5 minutes into it to focus on shit posting because there weren't enough superheroes.

The exact type of movie I'm excited to crack open on /film/

haha what?
this isnt some arthouse slow moving avant agrde masterpiece like said, it was well made but far too gratuitous and poorly paced to be brilliant, the film would have benefited from being an 45 mins to an hour longer

>admitting you watch movies on stream
jesus.

The movie was technically uninteresting, so it relies on the plot and subject matter. The story is compelling but ultimately this is a period drama with nothing to it other than showing the horrors of slavery. There was no greater meaning and, in my opinion, nothing very interesting about it. It was not any better directed than Roots or Glory or anything similar.

It's not a good movie.

Shit Oscar bait. Shit propaganda piece that they made knowing full well the oscars wold hand them awards. It's literally "white ppl are so evil look" the movie. The blacks are also mis represented. They were ugly and stupid as fucking sin back then. They're portrayed as smart while the whites are portrayed as dumb slobs.

oscar bait. Too much generic

The dust has settled.
It's kino.

It's not beautiful, it's not innovative, it's not unique, it's not historically accurate (being a slave with an education, and especially teaching other slaves how to read and write, was punishable by death)...
it's trash. Don't think for a second that winning an Oscar is somehow indicative of high quality.

>[McQueen's] artistic influences include Andy Warhol, Sergei Eisenstein, Dziga Vertov, Jean Vigo, Buster Keaton, Carl Theodor Dreyer, Robert Bresson, and Billy Wilder.[17][18]
Wish he let it show in his work, that's unacceptable

KINO

chill, samefriends

Up to the 'whyte r so evil' sentence youve got all the points right, but did you allow your younger brother to finish the post?

I liked it, and it's the only thing that matters to me, could not care less about the Oscars.

jesus pol is insecure a s fuck, hes LITERALLY saved by a white man at the end

i'm not denying it, I was looking into the director

both

Mediocre. It rises to "good" on some occasions, and the strong point, I think, is the location shooting that takes place, but other than that? Oscar Bait, race baiting, and borderline pretentious.

The fact that it fucking beat Gravity, winner or the seven other big awards, is so fucking stupid

Textbook "oscar bait" is
>period piece
>based on a true story
>alludes to a currently relevant political issue
>trendy foreign, preferrably british actors
>some aging established holywood name
Ask yourself how many of these the movie satisfies.

This was one of my biggest gripes with the movie.

It just doesn't make any fucking sense and is actually offensive. The character has all of 5 minutes of set up and then that's it. He goes free and the movie ends. There's no happy reunion with his family either, the credits role just as he walks in the door.

This.

gravity was a dumpster fire lmao

literally all considering the producer list

gravity is without a doubt one of the worst movies i have ever seen
good visual effects=a good movie
and i think cinematography is the most imprtant aspect, but it was just really uninteresting in this movie. the film blew its load in the first five minutes and just sort of floated (pun intended) for the rest of the film, by which i mean, didnt do anything else, didnt develop charatcers, didnt improve visually. it was really bad and i hate sandra bullock and george clooney so that didnt help

oopsie meant
good visual effects=/=a good movie

Worst version of Adagio in D Minor I've seen used in a film

>more white guilt
>we want white america to be gay and possibly autistic and disabled
>a hollywood =/= jewish production

It was a very solid movie. Not as great as some say but not remotely as bad as the triggered Cred Forumsfags who criticize the hype act

What a stupid criticism

The movie has big issues with the passage of time, which is why it seems so abrupt that he gets freed, but that's what happened. His will to fight was broken and he resigned himself to spend the rest of his life as a slave. Suddenly (because how else would it be to him but sudden) he's freed and goes home to find his wife remarried. It isn't really happy. I doubt much would be happy in his life for a good while after

How is an anti-slavery film propaganda, and propaganda for what cause? To sway all the people who think it's a good thing to own slaves? The current day slave owners?

>It's not beautiful
Objectively wrong

It's a classic

>Black slaves
>well kempt hair

Literally bothers me in every movie. There's tons of Literature of journalists walking around the South describing how most kept it short for good measure, otherwise the dirt and sweat would turn it into a mess of mold and grease.

There's a reason the Africans kept it short or shaved. Well, except the ones with that red clay.

Sandra Bullock and Clooney literally killed that movie. NOBODY likes them.

They should have committed with ScarJo.

legit bait

>>It's not beautiful
>Objectively wrong
Objectively wrong. Or have you never watched well-directed movies with outstanding cinematography? You honestly think this stacks up to the greats? It falls short to it's contemporaries (Birdman, Gravity, Interstellar, Sicario, etc), and I wouldn't call any of those beautiful.

The movie is not particularly well-directed.

>You honestly think this stacks up to the greats?
I never said that. It's not binary, a film can be "beautiful" without being "the most beautiful."

It's a good looking movie. I don't really see why that's particularly controversial

>which is why it seems so abrupt that he gets freed, but that's what happened
It seems so abrupt because the character who frees him is barely established. He couldn't possibly be more of a white savior. His sole function is so noticeably to bring about the end of the movie.

>I doubt much would be happy in his life for a good while after
So show that. It would be 5 minutes more to show him with his family, and him trying to reintegrate back to normal life. American Gangster did it really effectively, I think.

>he's freed and goes home to find his wife remarried

She didn't remarry. His daughter married.

Though I was a bit confused about it at the time too.

Kino.

Not even a question that it was the best film of that year.

To me that was obvious and better unspoken. If they took the extra time (in an already overlong film) to show that, where does it end? It's called 12 Years a Slave and ends when he isn't a slave anymore. We already saw the damage done to him

>There's no happy reunion with his family either

... did you watch an edited version or something? Literally the best scene of 2013 happens during the reunion.

It protrayed black people as human beings, therefore everything about it has to be terrible.

Shit ending.

A Kino ending would show him playing his violin again, segueing into the credits.

please never post again anywhere, thanks.

Is kino just a memword for corny and mediocre now, or is it that the people who say it sincerely have such awful taste? I only see really average films get called kino all the time

every movie portrays black people as human beings and they have for a long time, this movie is as obnoxious as those vegans who demand you award them medals

>American Gangster did it really effectively

The real frank lucas went right back to trying to sell drugs and was back in jail three years after being released.

>this movie is as obnoxious as people who exist only in my deranged fantasies

... being Cred Forums must be tough

No fixed meaning at this point, thanks to capeshitters trying to say their capeshit was "kino."

I really don't see it. Unless you have some pre-existing need to deny that slavery was abhorrent no matter your race there's really nothing to be offended at in the movie.

good acting. well shot. overall good.

also nice seeing dindus being put in their place

gonna go watch Hunger now. same director

Oscar bait more than kino.
Not a bad movie though. Parts were a bit thick, like the book, but honestly pretty good.

Make sure to watch shame. Incredibly good movie. Fassbenderms best performance

This flick is the height of pseudo art like all McQueen's garbage.

This. Plebs here think long takes and pretty pictures=art. They should stick to nolan.

Your opinions are invalid if you think "beauty" can be objective. You lack the knowledge of basic definitions one would expect from a pleb praising pseudo art.

Very good

Please enlighten us

By conventional standards it is a well shot, or "beautiful", movie. If you want to explain why it isn't please do, it's hard to argue against a single vague word

Fuck off. It's obnoxious enough reading wannabes post that Inarritu and McQueen are good. Just go pretend you know something about art on another board. Like rebbirt

already seen it. fassbenderm is a great actor.

Anything from Steve is absolute kino.

>its incredibly well made
No. The dialogue and acting are garbage. The photography and production design are pretty, but it an irrelevant way that doesn't improve the work.

I thought it was brilliant. And no, that's not because the subject matter. There are plenty of slavery movies that are shit. 12 Years is not one of those.

Are there any good slave trade movies? No, not even once.

Textbook oscar bait is the protagonist has a disability or is a minority

Anyway, the movie is both kino and an oscar bait and that's not always a bad thing.