Man From Earth: Holocene

Thoughts?

S U C C

Looks like it's going to be garbage.

Doesn't really need a sequel, where are they going to take it?

S
U
C
C

SUCC
U
C
C

wtf is this meme?

post it

Jesus Christ, meme it up elsewhere. Some of us want to discuss this film.

S U C C

The Man from Earth is legitimately offensive. I'm not saying that in the snese of the subject matter, but just how much of a smug echobox the story is. I can only imagine a sequel would be worse.

They spend the fucking movie trying to poke holes in his story.

>yfw there's a scene where they ask about pregnancy and birth and all the complications that came with it in ancient times
>conversation inevitably moves onto sex
>John leans back in his chair and pauses with a slight smirk
>leans in
>extreme close up
>"I INVENTED THE SUCC"
>John starts spazzing out
>face like pic related
>he's cumming and farting everywhere
>gusts of wind blow the windows in
>he truly was a Man From Earthâ„¢

>this thread
bravo Cred Forums

S U C C

U

C

C

Fucking why.

I'm all for filming conversations, but move on to other subjects/premises.

>12 Angry Men
>My Dinner with Andre

It could work if it involved the other immortal John spoke about, but apparently it's not about that

I'm interested in where the fuck they would go with this.

I liked it. The premise was interesting and the setting... one set with a few actors talking, was really refreshing. It could have easily had period-pieces flashbacks and been garbage.

Don't be
That's what they are doing

The idea of the first movie was very noble, but the writer didn't know what to do with it. What pissed me off the most about it is that none of the other characters show the slightest interest in debunking his story. They ask a question, he answers in a vague term and they just stop there. They could've developed his journey so much more, but the writer apparently just wanted to shove us anti-Christianity on us.
Still it's one of the most comfy movies I've seen, it taps that b-movie, amateur quality perfectly. I watch it several times a year, mostly on winter nights, since it's so easy to get sucked into the story.

Couldn't be any worse than the original. Hopefully they don't film this one with something with the visual fidelity of a 2005 mobile phone.

What do you mean?

how is it a smug echo box?

it's not even like the movie is actually antichristian in the slightest, anymore than a movie about space exploration is anti-flat earthism

Just because the movie presents the idea that Jesus was slightly different than he was in the bible doesn't mean the movie is anti bible

Also I thought the way his friends were responding to his story was more realistic than putting him on fucking trial, what would you do when you're friend starts on some insane story? You just humor him because you want to hear more

>All this talk of a sequel or sequels
>Be all like "what the fuck are people talking about?"
>You says "that's what they're doing"
>Go look

Oh no...

I was so excited when I heard about it, then I was shattered.

>what would you do when you're friend starts on some insane story?

I would at the very least be the one leading the questions, and I would not suddenly drop my curiosity from a certain detail after hearing a non-conclusive answer.
The friends went from humoring him in the beginning to outright believing him in every word he says. If you read the script it becomes blatantly obvious.
You need to learn more about screenwriting, that wasn't a conversation, the listeners were just convo bouncers.
If you want a really well composed conversation movie watch Sunset Limited or Phonebooth, they're not as comfy because they don't deal with a power-fantasy, but they're much better in execution.

They only believe him with certainty when he provides actual proof, as in his son the therapist

Other than that they are more curious than gullible

Did we watch the same movie?

mite be cool

>They only believe him with certainty when he provides actual proof, as in his son the therapist
he never provides proof, the black character even says so
>Other than that they are more curious than gullible
they go from skepticism to amusement to complete belief
>Did we watch the same movie?
apparently not, read the script if you don't remember what you watched

The Man from Earth is in my top 15 all time favorites and I don't want a fucking sequel to ruin it.

Did he not provide proof when he had knowledge of the therapist dude's childhood that he could not have had?

Maybe I'm misremembering

Also as I recall, not a single person besides the therapist ended the movie with "complete belief" in the guys story, maybe his love interest too?

I definitely remember the other people being skeptical the whole way through and mostly vindicated when the guy "admits" he made it up

>Did he not provide proof when he had knowledge of the therapist dude's childhood that he could not have had?
Everybody had left already. That was just to show us it was actually true.
>Also as I recall, not a single person besides the therapist ended the movie with "complete belief" in the guys story, maybe his love interest too?
Everyone was believing him and buying his story until one of them forces him to cop out which he does by saying it was all a story
>I definitely remember the other people being skeptical the whole way through and mostly vindicated when the guy "admits" he made it up
The thing is they never had a reason to be completely awed by the story, they never showed true interest in debunking it. He wrote them that way because it was easier.

You're just wrong though

You're misinterpreting the characters if you think they believed the story

And why the fuck would they show a "true interest in debunking" an insane story obviously told as a thought experiment

Jesus fucking Christ it's like you completely fucking missed the point of the movie

The conversation is a thought experiment, but the movie gives a wink and says "this movie is a thought experiment too" when it reveals that he actually is immortal

I know, they just want to be entertained, but in the end they are indeed seduced by the story.
You can get mad if you want, doesn't make you right.
Again, watch Sunset Limited if you want a good conversation, not confirmation bias and power-fantasy.

Seduced by the story =\= they believe the story

it doesn't mater what you think, I know I can't convince you, I'm just trying to set the record straight so that people reading this thread that haven't seen the movie won't be swayed by your wrong interpretation of the movie

sunset limited was good too, you're right about the man from earth having the power fantasy aspect to it, compared to sunset limited

S U C C

no amount of telling me I'm wrong will make me wrong though, I'm sorry
none of the characters were realistic beyond the first act. The writer redeems himself in the third act, but the second (ie. the core of every story) is just a complete mess.
It's still a good movie though, I watch it a lot, and it probably wouldn't have been as thrilling had it been written better.

>Phonebooth
>really well composed conversation movie

Unironically kill yourself.

sauce?

Man from earth is one of my favorites

Actually all of the characters were realistic besides the therapist and the titular character

You're simply wrong, and that's okay, I'm not telling you that for your sake but for the sake of other people reading the thread

>Actually all of the characters were realistic besides the therapist and the titular character
You couldn't be more wrong, in fact those two were the only realistic characters who stayed true to their convictions. All the other characters besides the black man changed their minds every line they spoke. You should really read the script, you apparently don't remember much of the movie.
>You're simply wrong, and that's okay, I'm not telling you that for your sake but for the sake of other people reading the thread
That's some bitter condescension, let's just leave it at that.

I liked that part where he said he was Jesus Kristus Pire Kino

The Jesus part and the ending are where it fails hard but it's a comfy little kino.

Real people aren't always "true to their convictions", not that I agree with you saying they were true to their convictions anyway

Real people change their mind all the time, especially when grappling with ideas that challenge their normal way of thinking

Indeed, they just go around contradicting themselves every few lines.

Do you have example of what you're talking about?

Women's rights are the most important thing. I want more muslims btw.

I actually meant from the movie but that's a good one