What do you think of this movie, Cred Forums?

What do you think of this movie, Cred Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=jQ6qaNKdZbk
youtube.com/watch?v=3jjLMm7C2EY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Was a good movie, and ALWAYS glad to see that guy talk in any movie/tv show since. He's fucking creepy. I'd hate to have him as my dad or uncle.

I saw this movie when I was 11 years old, and it messed me up pretty good. over 20 years later, I would refuse to say Candyman in the mirror 5 times even if you offered $200

muh dick liked 3 better

CANDYMAN
CANDYMAN
CANDYMAN
CANDYMAN
CANDY...

Great movie, but i find the 'black ghetto' setting kinda takes away from the the overall 'supernatural' spookiness of the movie. Half the time your more worried some hoods are gonna gangrape her more than Candyman will.

Thank god there isn't a Kevin hart remake yet.

i like the music

>yfw you realize Candyman does the voice of Nightstalker in Dota and its basically the same as the Candyman performance.

Soundtrack was great.

youtube.com/watch?v=jQ6qaNKdZbk

youtube.com/watch?v=3jjLMm7C2EY

The ghetto is almost the entire point of the movie.

Didn't the director hate the soundtrack? I always felt the score was essential to the movie. If it was any different, I don't know if it would have been as good. I feel like a soundtrack makes or breaks a movie in some cases, especially horror.

What if I offere you $220?

Think it was opposite.

Composer hated the movie, he thought he was making an indie psychological horror film.

He eventually learned it was a much high-production slasher/ghost horrror film.

I love it, and his score helps it. But I can see how this was misleaidng, also a fucking psychological fucked up subtle version of candyman would be incredible.

Literally me. I saw this when I was 12 and to this day, will not do that. Funny thing is I did it multiple times before seeing the movie to fuck with my friends.

Oh yeah, I got it wrong. I always thought Candyman should crossover with Hellraiser. Not necessarily a fight or anything, but if you think about it, it could be a good psychological movie about Pinhead or Candyman.

>more than Candyman will
before he was killed he was a respected artist

Should i watch this today Cred Forums?

I think so. 90's horror isn't that good, but this is definitely worth it. I couldn't recommend the sequels that much. If I remember correctly, Candyman becomes a run of the mill slasher.

Please do and let us know if it's actually "scary" in [current year]

Yeah i know that, but the original Candyman legend is based on the short story by Clive Barker called 'The Forbidden', set in an English ghetto/slum, which is more your 'Jack the ripper' type setting. They changed the setting to make it more related-able to American audiences i suppose.

very fun, great lore, scary performance and handling of Candyman's appearances, especially whne we first see him.

But the gore effects are hammy and it feels a little tacked on, the film feels like it'd be stronger without it, saving it for key moments (there's a scene in the apartment in the middle for the main character that's essential gore).

Overall one of my favorite horror films, although flawed, it's strengths outweigh it's problems for me.

Candyman was originally white, right? It's hard to imagine that. I think they had Hellraiser set in America for that reason, too.

Yeah and he was like described to have a green hue.

Honestly though it was set in the english slums and I felt like it works well set in Chicago's Cabrini Green. It's like Cooley High but with ghosts.

There's nothing distracting about it's setting, it's like watching The Wire but supernatural and even more theatric

But that setting is what makes the movie work so well, you feel tense and afraid for Helen because she is either gonna get fucked by hoodlums, slashed by Candyman, get cucked by her husband, or get a lobotomy by the mental ward.

Yeah i would assume so, i haven't actually read the original book.

>Mfw the house from Hellraiser is in London right near where I live

Have it on VHS.
Never seen it.

I'd say that doctor's spine got a labatomay, lol. except it took out the whole spine. and it killed him, he was severly injured so he was dead..

but it was still somewhat a labotomy, it was a soul albortomay, cause he died after. and then he flew out the window liek as spector in the night or a brain being removed. like a labotomy

The setting was scary as hell

Are there any other films set in or around the ghetto that aren't specifically hood life films?

It Follows was set in Detroit and that was pretty cool

Leprechaun in the Hood. Here's some stupid trivia relevant to the thread: Tony Todd was asked to do a Candyman vs. Leprechaun movie, but said no and would only accept Pinhead as an opponent.

but did he tell you when your arse was showing?

look up what the director was actually trying to do with the movie. pretty interesting stuff. whole lotta subtext. probably why glass thought it was going to be some indie artsy thriller.

Pennywise had the same affect on me. Watched IT when I was 6 or 7, and that shit terrified me to the point where I had trouble going to the toilet. I always envisioned myself sitting on a toilet, and Pennywise pulling me down the drown through my butthole or something lol I actually shit myself at school at least 3 times too, cause I kept avoiding going to the toilet. Yup, I was one of those kids.