Thoughts about this? 7/10 for me

thoughts about this? 7/10 for me

I liked it because it confirmed my preconceived notions that all models are fucking creepy.

>no plot
>no story
>no character
>no style
>no substance
>visually boring
>le synth music
-10/10 for me fampaio

needed more nudity

Ruby wasn't a model

Not with that chin for sure

what was ruby motivation?

The Neon Demon is quintessential plebkino

Which girl was the "Neon Demon", if anyone?

I really like this film, wasn't impressed while watching it in the cinema the first time though. Took me some weeks to really think about it, now one of my favourite horror films this year.
Most people here who complain about it being too obvious or "in your face" seem to interpret it as a standard film like Black Swan or commentary on the fashion industry, which is a rather shallow analysis. In reality the film is more as a case study of what it means to be a beautiful woman, the isolation and the dangers that come with it. Jesse is the perfect archetype for this because she has no agency, no character, nothing of value to say, nothing she wants and nothing she feels, she just is beautiful. Her beauty is all that guides her relationships, people start to assume things about her (Dean assuming that she has qualities outside of her beauty, the models assuming that she fucks important men, Ruby assuming that she has feelings for her), she has no control over these assumptions or her relationships, people want to be with her simply because they feel drawn to her beauty (Dean and Ruby obviously, falling in love with her even, or the clerk in a purely sexual way) and become frustrated and angry at her when they cannot (Dean or the clerk venting off their frustration by raping/killing the girl in room 214, Ruby partaking in the murder of Jesse). I agree that the transitional scenes like her kissing her reflection symbolizing her embracing the role she's given by the others are quite on-the-nose (the bondage demon on the other hand I thought was pretty clever) but that doesn't make it a bad film, just a flawed film.

7/10 is about right.

1/10 - redeeming factors include Elle being cute, the novelty of "real lolita shit", and like one or two good shots.

6/10, really stretching

10/10 waifu fodder, refn is truly our guy

7/10 - some good some bad aspects, but mostly good

So... Did she got raped by Keanu or it was just a dream sequence?

retard

Best film of the year desu

Don't really understand the 5-7/10 rankings

I would expect you would either love or hate it

She was lonely

There's no earthly way of knowing

It was so clearly a dream it's stupid people are even asking about it

meme flick

Still much better looking than the pig they're trying to pass as extremely beautiful.

Are you the same autist who keeps calling her a pig in every thread?

it's intentionally ambiguous, fool
that's the point

No, it's not. You're retarded.

First of all the editing makes it clear it's a dream. Second, there is nothing to be gained by making that ambiguous. You clearly have a lower opinion that I about Refn as a filmmaker.

One of them.

>the editing makes it clear it's a dream
Firstly, it doesn't. The sudden cut to her on the floor implies that it could have been a dream, that she otherwise blacked out or that she has no memory of the traumatic experience. The fact that she wakes up in another spot than the one she slept in, doesn't know how she got there and grabs her throat after waking as if it hurt imply that it might have happened.
Secondly, nothing is accomplished by making it a dream sequence.

>You clearly have a lower opinion that I about Refn as a filmmaker.
What is this, a cuddle contest?

Yeah, the fact that everyone in the movie is obsessed with ol' footface here is the least believable part.

no

If it wasn't a dream, keanu wouldn't have had to come in again or the door would be unlocked

How dense are you? The person at the door is Dean.

A prime example of why men should not be allowed to make films about women and/or the experience of being a woman. I knew going into this that I would hate it, but it far surpassed hatred and ventured into the realm of vehement disdain and disgust.

Most of the scathing reviews I've encountered on letterboxd have adamantly addressed the problematic nature of this film so I won't bother to waste any more of my time; but suffice to say, The Neon Demon further solidifies my aversion to everything that Nicolas Winding Refn creates. His affinity for vapidity and "style over substance" is not as intriguing as he seems to think. The fact he actually dedicated this film to his wife with a little heart ("For Liv

I just want to touch her slutty slutty neck.

This is great pasta.
Seriously though, this woman couldn't be more wrong. Refn nails the horror of being a beautiful woman with this film.

9/10 desu

Refn is this generation's Kubrick, whether you like it or not. Twenty years from now his films will be looked upon just as fondly as Stanley's are now.

i think you have no clue what you're talking about because she LITERALLY LITERALLY has an english and women studies degree

>Refn is this generation's Kubrick
I wouldn't go that far but he is a great director

The Neon Demon is the entire lifestyle they live. It's the attractive glow of a fundamentally empty (and even dangerous) way to live.

Your description has made me to decide to give this a watch.

yeah maybe the Kubrick treatment is a bit much. Refn is definitely the most stylish director of this gen, but substance wise they're not as rich as your average Kubrick film

Excellent!

Desiring Jesse obviously.

God I hardly recognized that she was the GF in Donnie Darko after all those years.

Aesthetically: 10/10
Story: 4/10 (how many million times has the innocent-girl-in-a-monstrous-world story been told?)

You can watch most of it at 2x speed to get past all the padding. This movie is really for teenagers Refn even said so in an interview. It's a horror inspired stylized vision of a vapid whores ego. There are some good scenes on a visual level and some interesting use of sound but overall it was shit. They didn't even have a coherent story while they were making it and had to change things due to budget or bad ideas not working and it really shows in some segments where things are disjointed. No it was not on purpose to add a sense of surrealism that's an excuse. They shot the god damn ending scene before they knew what the story or actual ending was... Refn is a fucking hack who deserves to fade in to obscurity.

Oh and the absolute worst part of all is having to believe everyone is obsessing of Elle Fanning... I laughed my ass of a few times on the slow mo face shots of people obsessing over her. That constant back and forth portraying her "natural beauty" as some sort of power was just irritating and juvenile.

Uhhh... More like 7/10. They literally copied other peoples visual works but just changed the contrast to make it darker.