Why does boxing make the best sports movies?

Why does boxing make the best sports movies?

Poor people box

it's a truly international sport, the protagonists usually have dramatic lives, and the fight scenes themselves are perfect action set pieces

Mostly cause of how simple it is to film without it being over the top

Just two guys in a ring, Warrior is another example too

If you try to make a Football or Soccer movie, its usually always muddled and hectic, it loses a lot of focus while Boxing is simple and you can understand its one guy vs one guy

Because it's masculine.

Are you a woman perhaps?

You wish

Better than any boxing film i've seen

This, plus being a 1 on 1 sport is great for dramatic tension.

The Fighter was boring trash.

The Warrior was actually a great movie

Bull Durham
Field of Dreams
A League of their Own

I'm not american and know nothing about the game, but there's nothing as comfy as a baseball movie.

pretty much this

This. You can't emphasise the "underdog" aspect of the main character if he's a well-off dude doing "upperclass sports" like swimming or running(unless you set it in the past and make him a jew, thus capitalising on how jews were disliked, but that's not as universal as the poor underdog story), and it takes away from the main character's achievements if it's a team sport, so making it a team sport is a detriment. Boxing is also seen as a very damaging sport with relatively little money in it for the boxers.

This is also why Cinderella Man is the comfiest boxing movie, because the setting emphasises the poor underdog aspect even further, while changing the antagonist into being an asshole happy to gloat about killing someone, and threatening to do it again, emphasises the dangerous aspect.

Its the equivalent of prostitution for men: Selling your body.
And who doesn't like a fit prostitute?

*baseball

What I don't get, with the popularity of Rocky, is why nobody is making period-pieces about bare-knuckle boxers. That shit was way more visceral.

And I actually have to agree with this. I don't know anything about the game either, but non-major league baseball movies are comfy as fuck for some reason. I guess the ones where the team travels around has the added roadtrip aspect to help?

huh, that shot isn't all that bad

I'm a big boxing fan, but most of the recent boxing movies have been.. decent, but that's it.

The Fighter 7/10
Southpaw 6/10
Creed 7/10

Not sure if I forgot any. Most of them play it too safe, and have unmemorable villains. None of them have captured the magic of Rocky 3 & 4.

>The overwhelming majority of boxers in America are black or hispanic

>all Hollywood boxing movies star white guys

explain

It's much easier to film engaging fight scenes that feel real than pretty much any other sport, so the final scene always lives up to the buildup. Most sports movies suck when the actual match, race or whatever finally happens because it all looks too stagey and stilted. That doesn't tend to happen with box movies or any other fighting sport.

Slapshot is a great sports movie

Italians are not white though

Because for the protagonist to be successful in boxing he has to show alot more than just simple dedication, he has to portray the fire, the fear and the ferocity, and use all three, especially the fear part, to survive. As you can see the most boxing movies portray the protagonists as this knuckle heads who dont give a damn, then they meet this old trainer who shows them the ropes and show them how its done, then they find themselves and champion what ever it is they need to champion, be it the title, his life, love, or himself

these feelings are always nice to capture in film and it doesnt matter if youre a fan of boxing or not, when you see Rocky just walking alone in the night with the soft gotta fly now music until it tuns to full blown then reach its climax as he made the distance with apollo creed, youre gonna fucking feel it bro

>Ali
>Hurricane
black

>Rocky
>Raging Bull
Italians, or at least I think so

>Cinderella Man and all pre 1960 boxing films
different time, most boxers were white

>Million Dolla Baby
Grill

>Southpaw
>Fighter
white trash

all good if you ask me, but my picks for best sport movies are:

1. Slapshot
2. The Wrestler
3. Moneyball

Essential lesser known boxcore:
>Fat City
>The Boxer (1977)
>Crying Fist
>Tomorrow's Joe (1970)
>Hard Times
>100 Yen Love
>Boys on the Run

Why do they call horse racing the sport of kings? Its boring as fuck unless you bet but kings dont bet. is it to make plebs feel like kangz when they bet?

tsukamoto is good at tight frenetic shots like that

king of sports is better desu

Because kings(as in various aristocrats) were the only ones who had both the money and the who-cares-about-money attitude to keep a whole racing stable filled, while also paying to have well-known horses shipped across the world to breed even better horses with, just for the chance of making a little money back on the investment but mostly for the prestige of having the finest horses.

The later capitalists focused on attaining more wealth with their money by properly investing it in new ventures, something that was partly considered crass when it came to higher nobility, to the point where it was better to make money from gambling than it was to shrewdly invest it, because then you were clearly a money-grubbing commoner rather than a lucky guy favoured by God. It was too common to gain money from running a shipping company, but gaining money from racing horses? That's fine, because it's just a by-product from producing the finest horses.

Have you seen a racehorse close up? Bred to be the strongest, fastest runners competing for millions of dollars. Thats royal lineage if I ever saw it.

Those brutes are majestic.

was a this an artificial receded hairline?

Because it doesn't require any actual mental skill and anyone who doesn't know boxing can understand how it fits into the context of the movie's plot

Based Paul Newman

GOAT

yea

You can say that for literally any sport