Criterion

What upcoming releases are you looking forward to?
What movies would you like to see them restore?
What's your favorite Criterion?

I recently grabbed Chimes at Midnight, can't wait for McCabe and Mrs. Miller.

Other urls found in this thread:

criterion.com/library/expanded_view?f=1&s=release_date
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Looking forward to Lone Wolf and Cub.

looking forward to Cat People, hope they do more Val Lewton stuff

What are some of the best criterions in terms of quality of the film, amount of bonus material and picture quality? I am looking to add to my collection and would like some recommendations.

The Heaven's Gate blu ray is one of the most gorgeous things I've ever seen.

DEKALOG
E
K
A
L
O
G

Also, Dreams.

fucking criterion I bought Salò last summer but I can't Watch it because Im european and I don't have a free region blu ray yikes

out fucking skilled

>Dekalog

Definitely this.

I don't CARE im a fan boy I only bought this edition for the extras. One day I will have a region free bd player

Can't fucking wait for the 27th

you haven't seen it before? How many bd are going to be? a BD holds 10 hours video?

4 dicks.

I'm glad their finally releasing,The Exterminating Angel on blu ray.

I wish they would do a release of Last Action Hero.

I'd like to see Leguizamo get his time of day on Criterion, it's much overdue.

Criterion has been killing it with films I've waited years to be able to see in hd
>Apu Trilogy
>A Brighter Summer Day
>McCabe and Mrs Miller
>Dekalog
>Chimes at Midnight
>A Touch of Zen
>El Verdugo
>Tree of Wooden Clogs

So great after last year seemed to be entirely B releases i feel a bit guilty for pirating them all

they are doing you a favor
Salo is fucking terrible. It honestly is really not that shocking or disturbing and there is literally no point to the movie. People act like its the artistic masterpiece and really all it is is nothing more than Passolini doing the artistic equivalent of wetting the bed.
It is literally no better than any Saw or Hostel movie. What a fucking overrated shitheap Salo is. Passolini deserves to be remembered for more than that.

I'd say it's worse than Saw. Saw at least has a novel premise and works as a thriller, and it has some very memorable imagery. Salo is pretentious in the dictionary definition of the word and plays more like a scat fetish literotica than a film.

2nded.

I watched it with as critical an eye as I could. It's literally artless. And if that's the "point", then I don't want to "get it".

How do you guys get Criterions cheap besides the B&N sales? Ebay??

They're also available at lowered prices on Amazon often

I've watched Trilogy of Life and Gospel According to St. Matthew in addition to Salo, and honestly Salo is pretty similar to his other work. Handsome young non-actors for most of the cast, the sexual nature of it, the large crowds he's always directing (my favorite thing about these films). Even the dialogue and manner of speaking across his films is similar. I don't see how you could suggest that his other work should be so much more remembered when it's kind of the same thing.

I love Salo though. I was a young edgelord gorefiend when I saw it and it was one of the first films that made me interested in the medium as an art so it holds a special place in my heart.

+1 for McCabe and Mrs. Miller.

Punch Drunk Love in November

Want them to cut a deal with Metallica to release Johnny Got His Gun.

What? Why would they need to deal with Metallica for a movie?

Dalton Trumbo self-financed the making of the film version of his novel Johnny Got His Gun.

The film was a flop and his family, when Metallica asked for a licensing deal to use the footage from the film for "One" (a song based off the novel), basically told the band that they'd sell the movie lock, stock, and barrel to the band instead.

It's why the film fell out of print for over two decades after a blink and miss VHS release. Metallica eventually licensed the film for release through another company but it's now OOP and was pretty bare boned

What the fug

Dalton died dirt poor and his family basically had a love-hate relationship with him because he beggered them with his political grandstanding.

Fun fact: JGHG was taken out of circulation during WW2, because while Dalton was anti-war, he jumped on the pro-war bandwagon the moment Hitler invaded Russia. He also reported ANYONE that wrote to him, asking if he had any extra copies squirreled away, he might sell to someone to the FBI for treason/aiding the enemy.

He only brought JGHG back into print, after his career in Hollywood died after he was unblacklisted to cash in on it's "King In Yellow" esque reputation with the anti-war crowd protesting the Vietnam War. And the movie was his way to further cash in on the novel being the flavor of the month for the hippie sect, sinking what remaining money he had to make the film without studio money, which then flopped.

Hence why the family sold the film to Metallica; it was a family shame due to it beggering them.

Ironically Metallica writing "One" and the video for it (which due to MTV DESPERATELY wanting a video to air from Metallica, who were at the time, the hottest band in America that actually SHUNNED MTV, waived it's usual draconian censorship rules to air "One" and air it in heavy rotation during daylight hours) rescued the film and novel from obscurity (to the point that sales of JGHG skyrocketed in the years after "One" hit the airwaves).

Ironically Metallica, knowing that MTV might ban the JGHG cut of the film, did a second performance only version of it as a plan b if the first video got banned. The performance version ended up getting released on VHS with the JGHG version (Two of One) and ended up being the version of the song that ended up being featured on Beavis and Butthead when they aired the video.

I almost bought the Heavens Gate Criterion until I read that all of the supplemental material/commentary tracks outright IGNORES the film's sordid past as one of the worst films ever made/the film that killed Cimeno's career and the whole auteur era of 70s Hollywood

I will blame the studio interference
Because they fucked it up almost as bad as the American release of Once Upon a Time in America

for those who haven't looked
criterion.com/library/expanded_view?f=1&s=release_date
>The Squid And The Whale
>One Eyed Jacks
>Punch Drunk Love
>Akira Kurosawa’s Dreams
>Lone Wolf And Cub
>The Tree Of Wooden Clogs
>The Executioner
>Short Cuts
>The Asfalt jungle
>Roma
>The Exterminating Angel
>Heart of a dog
>Pan's labyrinth
>Boyhood
>Mccabe & MRS. Miller
>Beyond the Valley of the Dolls
>Valley of the Dolls
>Dekalog
>Blood Simple
>Cat People

i personally am looking forward to Dekalog, Short cuts and Akira kurosawa's Dreams
mostly Short Cuts since i used to watch it as a kid and remember enjoying it

every time