Was Blair Witch any good? Did it expand on the backstory or explain what happened to the people in the original...

Was Blair Witch any good? Did it expand on the backstory or explain what happened to the people in the original? Did any of the kids survive or have a chance against Blair? Do you get to see Blair?

LANE?

The new rules they introduce are stupid and the suspense is no longer present.

Having a time loop and eternal night trivialize the ominous nature into a 'theme'

Just give me a pic of the Blair Witch.

Do they expand on the Blair Witch legend at all or is just a bunch or is is just " My sister is out there somewhere" and they don't mention anything new

It's a shitty, soulless remaquel that completely misses the point of the original. Yeah, it's better than BW2, but compared to 1, it's completely uninspired.

What are these new rules? All I've been hearing is something about time travel and waking up at 7am to complete darkness

It's quite possible the blair witch is another drider like Stepehn King's It with powers like Pennywise.

Just heard the new one has jump scares, please tell me they're not accompanied by any kind of musical sting or loud noise that seems to come only from the soundtrack and not the environment, I hate when that happens in found footage films - am I supposed to believe that the people that found the "real" footage edited it in just to make it spookier?
I also really liked how in the original there wasn't a single frame that captured any kind of supernatural creature or phenomena on camera at all, it somehow made it feel more real, oddly. More down to Earth and less theatrical, I don't know. I'm guessing that idea's gone if there's jump scares now.

>home use video recording equipment is so good that it looks over produced now

I don't know should have set it in the 90s and just say they found new footage because the film looked "too Hollywood"

I dislike the found footage genre. I disliked the original Blair Witch when I saw it as a kid in theaters, I may give it another watch as an adult, I could probably appreciate it more now that I'm older. That said all the other found footage films are just a crappy imitation of Blair Witch and/or the first Paranormal Activity. They don't have anything but stupid jump scares that fail most of the time, and its a foregone conclusion no one survives in the film, at least not the main characters.

The first Blair Witch did something original, although it did piss off a lot of people by misleading them.

Just watched it last night
Every jumpscare is accompanied by a sting sound effect, not with like a soundtrack of any kind but they try to incorporate noise that the electronics might be making or a scream if some kind. But the scares were so predictable that apart from one or two waking you up a little, you sort of just sit there waiting for it to end.

>do they expand on the legend
Well as for expanding on the legend, not really. They added that she was strung up to a tree with heavy boulders to stretch the witch out.
>show anything new
No not really, other than muddying up what the original set up by introducing a time loop and what we are to assume is the blair witch she's a tall, gangly creature that stalks them

Well that's not so bad then, I don't really care if the jump scares are forgettable so long as they don't contradict the whole found footage framing device. If the rest of the film isn't scary to the point you end up just sitting there waiting for it to end that's pretty damning, though.

Does she look scary at least? This was in the original or in the promotion material for the original and this shit scares me to this day. If it is scary is it as effective as this?

what is this? it looks new

yes
yes
yes
yes

Also here is an officially licensed figure designed by Todd McFarlane from way back. Probably not cannon because it was designed by someone outside the film for collectible merchandise but is still a great design imo.

Thank god that shit didn't make it into the movie.

so are they just going to pretend book of shadows never happened?

It expands on a few details, like why they stand in the corner, it possibly explains how in the first movie they were hearing josh calling out in the woods and in the house but he wasn't there.

regarding the kids: though I don't know if they actually had a chance of leaving the woods they did figure out that the whole standing in the corner thing and not looking at the witch is how you can stay alive. If you face the corner and ignore her tricks I guess you get to continue standing ... in the corner... forever?

It also explained what the stick figures are. some of them are basically voodoo dolls and someone gets broke the fuck in half because someone else breaks one

I think that's the best thing for everyone involved.

Tell me, why does lane grow a beard?

They should do a fake "live stream" online where people are investigating a haunted house over night
Pretend like it's going out live ...that might fool some people on the Internet that it's real

(Not sure how'd you make money that way)

i liked the parody

No.
literally imagine a naked decrepit looking oldish woman, all dirty and stuff, with long ass arms and legs. That's what you see. Frankly, I was disappointed what I loved about the first blair witch and through most of this new one is that the witch felt like it was smart, like it had an agenda that was beyond comprehension.

After the reveal that the witch is this gangly feral looking creature, for me it made her seem less spooky, like rather than being this intelligent powerful being, it seems more like the strange things it does with rock piles and sticks is more a matter of it being retarded than having some grand supernatural plan. I would have loved something as simple as a barely visible floating woman like the pic describes than what we got

Yeah once everything starts to get into gear, you really can't tell what's going on most of the time because it's dark.

Not really. She doesn't stalk them in a quiet creepy way, and you actually see her fairly close to the camera which ruins any immersion you may have had.

What you describe in your entire second paragraph would've been perfect. Hints of the blair witch while focusing more and more on the strange occurrences and the group slowly going insane, specifically Lane. Considering the semi-grounded nature of the first film, this was way too theatrical in some aspects. It was like they took aspects of modern horror films and shoved it in there just so they could put it in the trailer.

trash. i usually enjoy Adam Wingard films, he does a good job of mixing up the tension with occasional hard hitting comic relief (the wire scene in You're Next to name one), but that formula doesn't work too well for Blair Witch. part of the reason why I enjoyed the original so much is because I always felt some sort of explanation as to why the characters were reacting as insanely as they were. the guy who tossed the map in the original clearly didn't do that of his own will, and from there the situation simply intensified. in this, however, I couldn't feel that at all. i felt there was one person who was very much affected by the witches spell, and the others were just completely stupid. this made the whole movie feel much less scary than the original. i suppose, although it fails as a standalone horror film, it does partially achieve the goal of a sequel; it builds ever so slightly on the universe and establish new rules to be played with in future installments. i'm by no means interested in where the franchise is going to go at this point, but I can however say with little doubt that is indeed going. this movie will make plenty more than enough to warrant that. stay cautiously optimistic; pray for sunshine, but expect the rain.

Nice formatting you've got there. Really pleasant to read.

Jesus this always scared me as a kid as well. Still creeps me out.

Perhaps they're wondering why you would make someone stand in the corner before killing them?

>didn't make it into the movie

With their budget, I doubt they ever even considered designing anything.

So did they retcon the documentary that went along with the original? That explaied that a serial killer who was possessed by the blair witch would make kids stand in the corner and look away while he killed the others.

This sounds retarded as fuck.
The reason why the first one worked was because you didn't get any straight answers so it continued to be a "legend".

By no means am I a horror aficionado, but that sounds like a rip off of the type of creatures they make in Japanese horror movies, at least the US ripoffs of Japanese horror movies. Seems out of touch for a witch, the US already has a deep history with witches and none of them resemble what you described, at least none of the good/scary ones.

hey dude anytime :)

Adam Wingard knows how to do gothfus pretty good. Any gothfus in this one?

Aye

It would have been neat if the group sabatoged each other and try to make it look as real as possible. But forces of the witch would have played with them and made it look like they were either going Mad or if someone else deliberately was out to get them.

Sort of like Haunted

Has anyone got a picture or a screencap of the creature/witch/whatever from the new film, if you do actually see anything that is..?
Very curious.

Also did anyone here watch the original when they were fairly young? Must've been 14 maybe younger when I did, and it scared the fucking shit out of me.
Amazing how I can sit through modern day horror/thrillers without any sense of fear, but a small pile of rocks outside a tent which has no natural explanation unsettles me deeply.
(having said that, i think the ending is a bit crappy-but then i have no idea how they could've done a better job). [...actually i do, but Cred Forums wont like it]

>sabatoged

I was like 9 or 10, I wasn't scared just disappointied there was no witch at all in the film. I also thought it was a legit found footage from a real incident but at the end of the movie I figured out it wasn't. All that atmosphere and tension people praise it for went over my 9 year old head, might watch it again

A pleb from the youngest age, impressive.

haha
I do know what you mean. I would have loved to have seen something, but it would've made the rest of the movie alot less worthwhile.
The reason people remember this film is because you DON'T see anything. The scariness and fear is all your own imagination's doing. And there are very very few films which accomplish that.

My idea would be to have a glimpse of something, from a distance, blurry, maybe a shadow. To give a little bit of closure, but not enough to ruin the rest of the movie.
It's really just fine how it is though.

My dad took me to the theater when I was 8 to see it. Growing up I was always incredibly superstitious and gullible and I was extremely fascinated with witches even though I knew nothing about them, so he took me the second day it was out. Had a lot of nightmares for a while and wouldn't go camping for a few years after that. A few years later I figured out it wasn't real, since the entire time my dad would keep telling me it actually happened since he liked to mess with me a lot.
for most of my childhood I legitimately thought you could know if someone was sick if you put hot copper to someone's blood. fuck you dad

GUESS WHO DIED FIRST?!

based dad

it looks like fucking slender man man

Think of this image without the suit and tie. Naked person that walks like big foot

its stupid AF!

THIS DUMBO

my god, her foot was all f'ed up and she thought she should climb a 30ft tree and get the drone stuck. HOW THE FUCK DID SHE EVEN HAVE THE REMOTE CONTROL

So this movie was basically just trying to cash in on The VVitch success and rip off slenderman because kids today and their internet find slenderman scary?

its pretty late where i am, and im about to go outside for a smoke, so i dont actually want to see the image tonight, hoping i can refresh this page tommorow morn and see it.
(yes, i am a pussy)

is this film worth a watch? is the payoff worth it?
or am i just gunna be watching idiot young people following all the cliched things you shouldnt do and wind up getting butchered.
i only wanna see the scenes with the witch in.

i think this a pretty creepy and effective design desu.
though she needs to be more hairy.

>So did they retcon the documentary that went along with the original
No, they even bring some of that stuff up in this one to remind the viewer. But like in the first movie, the serial killer story didn't make a whole lot of sense there either. Why is the witch forcing people to stand in the corner? That was something some random killer did. My point is that they don't explain too much nor do they retcon anything.

You dont' get a lot of straight answers in this movie, maybe slightly more than the first. Just by the nature of the crazy things that you see and hear certain truths can be understood. So if you remember in the first movie, how they travel straight for an entire day and somehow wind up back where they started, shit like that happens in this movie and it explains how we may have heard Josh's screams but he never responded to calls in TBWP and same with how they hear Josh in the attic of the house, but of course he's not there. but like everything in the movie they basically re did The Blair Witch Project beat for beat but turned the dial up to 11 and added jumpscares.

>rip off of the type of creatures they make in Japanese horror movies
I don't really watch asian horror so I can't say I felt like her design was a ripoff, but I'll agree that her appearance did seem like an odd choice. But then again it seems par with the course considering the kind of movie they made. As I said, it felt like they turned the dial up to 11, there was no subtlety to the horror, so why would they go with anything resembling a traditional witch (which is basically just a regular looking lady) It's a shame.

I personally can't stand the trope of characters setting things up to make it appear as though there are supernatural occurrences all the while there is a real supernatural entity slowly interacting with them and fucking with them. They did that in TBW but thankfully only for a brief moment.

>or am i just gunna be watching idiot young people following all the cliched things you shouldnt do and wind up getting butchered.
>i only wanna see the scenes with the witch in.
its fucking horrible dont go see it

I know right? And at this point when it's been night for over a day and trees are flying and shit is OBVIOUSLY going down, when a character thinks to themselves "gee I bet this thing that would potentially help me in the real world might help me here" uh no, fucking trees are flying you stupid bitch.

Were all the characters insufferable cunts? The original ones were annoying but they were badasses compared to the average college student today who are self-absorb and want to share everything

SO THIS IS WHAT PISSED ME OFF

RT had a score of 100% yesterday. I checked right before the movie started and I was excited. After the movie, I was pissed because of how horrible it was. But heres the kicker.... now I check RT and now the reviews for the movie are bad. barely 50% liked it. WTF!

I liked it overall. I loved the first and there are bits and pieces of what I liked about it in this one as well just minus the subtlety. TBW is still a movie you'll come out of and be thinking about for a while afterward trying to rationalize all the weird things that happen in it and tie those back to the original film. In that regard I think it's worth a watch.

There were a few points where the characters are mildly insufferable, but over all they seemed more down to earth than most horror movie characters. There was some decent humour in it too. Though I will say that everything about TBW felt like "a found footage horror movie" down to getting to know the characters and the things they say and how they justify filming everything, but they didn't over do it.

Going along with what asked would this movie at least get your date scared?

not even kidding there was a line in the movie that was pretty close to the fire rises. i almost wet myself. i liked the movie well enough. i didnt go i expecting anything good.

Yes 100%

For me The Mothman Prophecies did that. I was like 14 when that came out, it had the freaky sketch, the "Chapstick" scene was one of the scariest things ever, and you never see the mothman. If I'm by myself or driving at night and think of the mothman I legit scare myself. Might make a thread on it later.

I like the whole freaky local legend premise but I think the found footage format hinders Blair Witch in expanding it, at least when you keep using college students who know little to nothing about it. Maybe do a film with like people in their 30s doing like a real investigative documentary with at least one of them being a real history researcher instead of college kids or some "Aliens" conspiracy wackos, people who aren't perpetually retarded who can expand on the lore and make it seem credible(if that makes sense)

What was the line senpai?

Just saw it, I thought it was an OK film generally but essentially just an edgier remake of the original. The eerie atmosphere was really well captured during the film but there's nothing that sticks with you once you leave the theatre*. Also it was too loud.

>except the fucking HORRIBLE CLAUSTROPHOBIC TUNNEL SCENE but that just pushed my personal buttons
>also anyone care to explain what the girl pulls out of her leg when it starts leaking pus everywhere because I didn't get it

It looked like hair to me, not sure what the fuck that was about or why there was suddenly a wound on her leg, disappointed with how they just forgot her foot wound, that could've been used much better.

i dont remember exactly how it goes, but i think it was during the scene where the black guy gets seperated and they talking about leaving the campfire on so he can find his way back look out for it if you see the movie.

Didn't even know there was a black guy in it. Does he die first?

I was disappointed by that too. They worked up a good sense of urgency with her being trapped in the woods with a gaping hole in her foot and being all infected and delirious then abandoned it in favour of CRASH CRASH SCREAM [camera cuts out a few times].

yus

Watch VHS

I think that the implication may have been that whatever was in her foot burrowed up and out through her leg but there's no reason for that, and if that was in fact the case, they did a poor job of presenting that.

>i think this a pretty creepy and effective design

I'm sorry, what?

>Skeleton body
>Rags
>Axe/Scythe thing

That design could be from 100+ generic straight-to-DVD horror movies

So if the protag lady's video got posted BEFORE she went into the woods, does that mean BW has time altering abilities that go outside her woods?

Like what if something happened and she didn't go into the woods?

No idea, they're both non-white.

It looks better than a Puritan witch or the hocus pocus bs. Outside of those 2 there aren't many depictions of witches and the figure does a decent job of making her look malevolent and scary but still having some resemblance to a witch.

I thought it was the bones you could see in her foot

the guy

also, i know the protag girl was covered in mud and jusnk, but how did the brother think it was his sister? better yet, how did he not realise it was the girl he was showing it to?! HOW DID THE GIRL NOT REALIZE IT WAS HERSELF REEEEEEEEEE

The footage was blurry and the guy was delusional about finding his sister (see: going into the house at end)

College students are perpetual retards, just like his sister and her friends in the first film.

Blair WItch was set in 1994, didn't his sister die before he was born? Why the fuck would he care so much if he never even met her?

for the record i thought it would have been cool if they used the time dilation to have heather in the house as she was in the first movie. the brother would find her, he would be happy to see her, but its undercut by the fact taht she doesnt know who he is. i forget if he was a kid when she got lost, or if he wasnt even born yet, but regardless, she woulnt recognize him as an adult. THEN you can kill all of them.

Man that would have been cool

Book of shadows felt like a side story that tried to pull a silent hill.

The whole Rustin Parr kidnapping children and forcing one of them to stand in the corner while he killed the other was creepy as fuck, it just sounds like something a person being tormented by voices would do.

The way they retconned it sounds stupid. The kids still died anyway so it wasn't useful, should n't of messed with that and kept it the way it was with the Witch tormenting him to kill the children.

You mean exactly like Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones?

Did her hair change colors at least twice?

Ironic, Blair Witch sequels copies the Paranormal Activity sequel.

Both films suck but the original Paranormal Activity is one of the few films of the found footage genre (along with the original Blair Witch which paved the way for it) to actually be considered good.

The genre as a whole needs to go, 99% of it is just lazy movie making and is done to have a low budget film make a decent-good profit. No one cares about quality.

she used some phone app, not a standard remote

I'm kind of glad the whole foot mess was not explained so there is still some mystery surrounding the movie

So wait, was it a serial killer and a witch who were both fucking around with the crew in the original movie or was it just the witch alone?

It was just the witch reenacting the serial killer murdering of the children. In the original the serial killer was either possessed or forced to kill the children by the Blair witch

Bane?

Time displacement

Will the third one just be called Blair

Speaking of Haunted of Palahniuk.
What is it about?

The dindus pissed me off before they even got to the woods. The rest just sucked.

>The dindus pissed me off before they even got to the woods
The scene where they see the Confederate flag in Laine's house was the best part of the movie

But they didn't retcon it. The story of Rustin Par is the same, and TBW didn't do anything different than TBWP in terms of the whole standing in the corner thing, it's just we see the scene from the point of view of the people standing in the corner and why they're standing there this time around.

What? Did you not see how blurry the image was? Not to mention the concept of a paradoxical time loop isn't exactly something you have to deal with on a day to day basis so even if the blurry female figure did sort of resemble his friend I doubt they'd pay it much mind. He thought it was his sister because that house was where she was last known to be and no one has found the house since. I'd say he's pretty justified in assuming that's his sister.

He's obsessed with finding her for the same reason people care for people they're related to but have never met. It's not uncommon to feel an emotionally compelled to seek out a long lost mother or father or sibling if they've been missing or maybe split up by adoptions etc. And in 1994 he could have been around 4 years old assuming he'd be 26 now and maybe finishing college.

This is so gimmicky

Damn, that witch is a real bitch. Is it explained anywhere why she's such a cunt? Was she tortured by townsfolk or something?

Aren't you suppose to finish college around 22?

No it will be "The Blair" then the next one after that will be just "The"

I mean, 26 is a stretch but it really depends on where you go and if you go right after highschool.

was meant for

The point of the original was that you were watching discovered tapes of missing college kids
it's called "The Blair Witch Project" because the college kids' videos were part of a project, their documentary on a thing called The Blair Witch.

The lore being vague and weird shit not being explained in the original leaves open the possibility that maybe what's chasing them through the woods isn't the blair witch.

That is just wrong

The first Blair Witch is like walking alone at night and thinking you hear footsteps behind you. You stop and listen and don't hear anything so you continue walking. Footsteps start up behind you yet again so you start to run. And then start to sprint for your life. And you don't know who or what is behind you or if there even is something behind you.

This new one was pretty much just a horror movie. A minute of silence followed by a loud noise and the camera shaking around. Spooky.