Stranger things discussion

I'm trying desperately to see the value in this show, I just don't get why it's being received SO positively.

I'm 50/50 as fuck on it. Like, most of the characters were interesting because they ended up being less one note as the series progressed. The acting except for Winona Ryder was overall pretty fucking great. And the a e s t h e t i c was well done and an engrossing callback to 80s style film-making.

But there is so much shit that I just can't fucking get behind. The story feels like its been done a million times especially if you've seen anime like Elfen Lied. So much shit doesn't make sense

>Why did they immediately kill the cook in the first episode when they didn't kill anyone else who potentially had a link to 11 ? Like Hopper or Winona ryder ? The teacher ?
>What seriously was the point of showing Nancy and steve making out like 3 times per episode in the first 3 episodes?
>Barabara literally was just mcguffin for Nancy to get into the overarching story, nancy barely shows remorse when Barb's confirmed dead
>Ep. 6 at around 26:34: the scene where the sister is referencing Jane's dellusions ove 11. Its one of the most brain-dead retarded instances of spoonfeeding things to the audience i've ever seen. The flashbacks to what's already happened are so weird because It implies that Winona ryder knows what's happened ?
>You can figure out how the whole series is gonna play out by episode 4
>Nothing after that is unexpected

Is there something i'm not seeing here ?

Other urls found in this thread:

hollywoodreporter.com/fien-print/duffer-brothers-talk-stranger-things-916180
youtube.com/watch?v=E-u14c_sVFw
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>he story feels like its been done a million times especially if you've seen anime like Elfen Lied
Stopped reading right there.

>"I'm so ABOVE IT bruh, so ABOVE IT"

yawn

>Why was the bad guy literally JUST a bad guy.
>Why the fuck did they let Hopper and Winona ryder ALONE into the portal to the upside down.
>Why didn't they just kill them ????
>WHAT DOES THE GVT HAVE TO GAIN FROM TOWNS PEOPLE AT A TIME WHERE THEIR PSYCHIC MONSTER BABY IS RUNNING LOOSE.
>Why is Winona ryder's acting so horrible

Great counter-arguments right there.

You sure showed him.

>muh nostalgia, mostly

Assuming you're an anime fan because you mentioned Elfen Lied, I think that this kind of story is WAY more common in anime (hell 11 even has a sort of Rei feeling to her). So probably way more boring to you.

Also 11 is everyone's daughteru

Mine wasn't an argument. I just have a strong distaste for animu and people who consume it.

>I'm trying desperately to see the value in this show, I just don't get why it's being received SO positively.

Because it's halfway decent, and that means Cred Forums will hype it and stuff it down your throat until you hate it.

>Also 11 is everyone's daughteru
Nope. But Mike is my younger brotherfu.

wow 8 replies and nobody has posted pictures of children yet? I'm impressed, way to show restraint you guys

>why it's being received SO positively
do you know what POP means? means it's easy to like and understand, and ST is pure, PURE AND CRUDE pop material
btw the show is a 5/7 certified nicey

Ayyye

It's also comfy as fuck.

it's pretty good, it's a fun story, short and sweet. obviously it takes from lots of sources and doesn't feel original at all but it doesn't quite hit plagiarism levels to me. I think a lot of the praise is simply because everyone has netflix and when they finally manage to produce something that isn't total garbage people lap it up.

By that you mean it's easier to digest then most shows ? I dunno, i call bullshit on that, breaking bad and Narcos are elaborate as fuck shows (not comparing directly to ST btw) and they've both attracted a huge audiences.

Steve is one of my favorite characters from ST and I don't quite know why

maybe they are actualy good and not just good looking, but i wouldn't say they're elaborate as fuck

I think this is a big part of the show's success. It immediately feels nostalgic and comfy.

>nostalgic
see, that is some cheap trick
anything can look good due to nostalgia, it's a feels trap, makes people connect to it on a personal level even if it sucks
you can't take something driven by nostalgia as a good thing

It feels like a right place and right time kind of show since 80s nostalgia is in full fucking force everywhere we look. Plus the show captures the America that millenials grew up on. a lot of them are 20-30 now and can't deal with adulthood so they desperately cling onto anything that can make them feel like a kid again.

Barring the cynicsm the show just feels familiar to people.

>>Ep. 6 at around 26:34: the scene where the sister is referencing Jane's dellusions ove 11. Its one of the most brain-dead retarded instances of spoonfeeding things to the audience i've ever seen. The flashbacks to what's already happened are so weird because It implies that Winona ryder knows what's happened ?

All of your criticism is spot on OP, I feel just about the same way, but this - this was just the most offensively stupid piece of scriptwriting I have ever seen, I wish I could strangle whoever thought that sort of exposition was acceptable.

Overall I also found the show to be meh as fuck, it was a lot of fun and I had a great time, but I doubt I'll remember any of it next week.

Trust me, 90% of the praise towards this series comes from early 20-something year olds who go berserk over 80's nostalgia. To most other people it's very obvious how it's just an amalgam of tropes and characters, and yea like you said, Elfen Lied and tons of other stories did Eleven by the book before.

literally no one has addressed the issues brought up by OP

literally no other relevant series had updates at the time it was airing + nostalgia. I was kind of annoyed to see Red letter Media were also super into the show

my gf justified that as because it's a series, and some people are only able watch 1 episode per week so the flashback would be necessary

ehh,

I watched Super 8 after watching this series and it felt exactly the same. Maybe Stranger Things did more with the soundtrack and had slightly more interesting characters but that's it. It's basically Super 8 in series form. And I gave that mediocre piece of work a 2 out of 5 stars. I really don't understand people who give this series anything over 3.5/5.

That episode served only to establish that "YES ELEVEN HAS SUPERNATURAL POWERS AIN'T THAT WEIRD". I can see where your gf is coming from but if you really think about it, there's absolutely no excuse to have it there.

It's really just a vehicle for getting these kids into the world, as well as the Duffers and Shawn Levy. The show is normal softie sci-fi with some spooks, but the aesthetics and ethos of its filming are just outstanding. I mean, it really feels like you're in a shitty, boring 80's movie, and I mean that with very little sarcasm. Plus, we just love seeing emotional and nuanced performances from the 12 year olds.

Also, stealing that dope picture. I love the D&D-incorporating fanart.

That flashback*

LAST EPISODE IS PRICELESS
THE CGI GUNS, THE UNNECESSARY SACRIFICE

>Elfen lied

fuck i completely didn't think about that but holy shit its true

>IT'S LIKE A HOMAGE TO EVERYTHING THAT MADE THE 80'S SO GREAT!
>There's dumb CGI everywhere

Would it be so hard to at least TRY to have the Demogorgon be practical?

I don't know which episode, but the monster was reaching out of his dimension and scratches the wall with his big fucking cgi hand.
I could made a rubber hand in a month for less what that cgi probably did cost. Imagine how cheap and fast someone with experience in rubber shit could do.

That actually was a guy in a suit, or at least it was during the fight with the teenagers. They've talked about it in interviews.

Except El was never nude. Squandered opportunity tbqh. That's pretty much all I remember from that show.

They've also said directly that Elfen Lied was a big inspiration. I've never watched it, but the Duffers apparently loved it.

For sure. That weird gooey matter that divided the Upside-Down was also some ridiculously bad CGI and would've been a lot cheaper and more pleasing if it was done with practical effects.

>The show is set in the 1980s in the fictional town of Hawkins, Indiana, and is an homage to '80s pop culture,[4] inspired and aesthetically informed by the works of Steven Spielberg, John Carpenter,
>John Carpenter

I meant a scene with just the hand showing, earlier episode.

The Thing remake/prequel had also nice rubber stuff going on and they painted it over with cgi, so maybe he was fighting the kids in a suit but they did some cheap cgi mockery with it.

>the reason why you're enjoying it is wrong
??
And even if it's just nostalgia, why would that be bad?

I just watch it because of comfy 80's aesthetics, and Finn Wolfhard.
I have no shame in saying that he's made me a gay pedophile.

Comfy non kino show. 7/10. Forgettable story with good cast.

>Elfen Lied directly inspiring the show

OH fuck it's real, i keep forgetting that anime is now a viable form of influence since it's not as niche as it used to be

hollywoodreporter.com/fien-print/duffer-brothers-talk-stranger-things-916180

you can like whatever the fuck you want to like, but you should at least admit your taste is cheap.
and why is nostalgia bad well i don't know did i explain? will you need a flashback for that too?

It capitalises on nostalgia. How old are you? You kinda have to be a 70s-80s kid to get it.

Why doesn't Hop just give the Monster the ol one-two and knock him the fuck out.

I felt like it was very Elfen inspired right from the first episode. Glad to see my suspicions were correct!

You have a nuanced view. Recognize that most people are incapable of having a nuanced view. They are plebs and idiots who are unable to criticize things they like on any reasonable level. Just ignore them.

It's basically three movies

Poltergeist - Kid stuck in the "upside down" dimension communicating with his family in the real world until they eventually tie a rope to themselves and stage a rescue mission in the other dimension

E.T. - little boy discoveres alien/girl with powers and has to hide her from government agent that wants to exploit it

Nightmare on elm street: Nancy discovers a super natural threat that is attacking and killing local children, devises a plot to draw this threat into her world and trap it

There's literally nothing original here it's just three competently told homages, if you don't watch a lot of movies or if you're a normie casual maybe it'll seem new to you I dunno

I'd venture that it's still as niche, we just have more people openly saying it.

>there are people in this thread RIGHT NOW who don't like Eleven
purge yourselves

It's gonna be horrible in a few years when she becomes a Miley Cyrus type of whore.

No

youtube.com/watch?v=E-u14c_sVFw

>tfw only 230 views