Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/nOYVpQhMZYE
dropbox.com/s/9p89jk37yrp9mld/THE NEON DEMON(1).pdf?dl=0
instagram.com/p/BKCOaAdDzJe/
youtube.com/watch?v=c9PCxz3KyFc
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>Refn
>not instantly considered kino

I need to know if you guys liked it or not before I give my opinion.

You first.

>posting his worst movie

>Bronson
>worst movie

So when did you find out that you have shit taste in movies, my man?

he's pretentious dogshit
literally the definition of pretentious, punching above his intellectual weight. his only good movie was drive and it was style in a can, all his other movies have been empty trash masquerading as art

wanted to watch this after all the Cred Forums hype for it, checked out the preview and it looked gay and shitty as fuck. dodged a bullet there

Don't be an insecure faggot
This is an anonymous fucking imageboard
If people make fun of you for being an idiot just walk away from the thread and forget about you weak-skinned little shithead
Christ

Refn truly is the definitive pleb filter.

Have fun with Avengers flick #47635

9/10 MOTY

Refn a god

you have to realize your opinion doesnt mean shit right? i mean its objectively his worst movie and if you disagree youre either shitposting or a true pleb

OP Here. Wew, why are you guys so aggessive.

Anyway. I give it a 7/10

Art direction and photography are great, and I think that's almost the only remarkable thing of the movie. Acting was good too (Elle's one in special), but I felt like the script was bland most of the time. The ending was pretentious as fuck, but I guess people will remember the movie because of it (and bc the art style).

So, what do you think.

You're opinion doesn't mean shit either.

Saying "objectively" while running your fucking mouth doesn't actually make your opinion objective. Especially when your following argument is "if u disagree ur dumb pleb xDD"

woops meant for

i really enjoyed drive but it wasn't next-level
only god forgives had good cinematography, but bad writing, and all the pauses and space felt painfully forced
valhalla rising was trash
pusher was trash

capeshit is also trash but mentally jerking off to being a half-step above popular culture is transparently pathetic no matter how autistically you can delude yourself into thinking otherwise

Whoops. Totally forgot about the GOAT Soundtrack. I guess it makes it a 7.5/10

It's shit. There are about five quick scenes that need to be made in to webms and the rest is mostly forgettable. The "story" is garbage even in this context... They shot the ending early on without even knowing what the whole movie would be. A lot of ideas were changed or thrown out at the last minute. It's basically a tldr of how millennials are vapid garbage made by an autistic colorblind retard obsessed with ripping off the visual styles of far better artists.

I fucking loved it.

That's cute, but I wasn't the pretentious faggot that thinks that saying "objectively" makes my opinion more valid.

Come back when you have an actual argument

> nothing but female supermodels, the movie

>gay

Source on those statements?

>They shot the ending early on without even knowing what the whole movie would be
>lying on the internet

Refn shot the movie in sequence like he does for ALL of them.

Fucking liar

shit was meant for

Tbh that's a pretty accurate characterization of a lot of Refn's movies. Definitely for this one

Also
>why are you guys so aggressive
Where do you think you are

>They shot the ending early on without even knowing what the whole movie would be

Nice try, but the script is online. Some scenes were changed, but the ending is intact

Alright, clearly you can't even argue.

Catch you on Cred Forums, dood.

Some interview from a while back. Refn is a hack who got lucky.

supposed to reply to

>hurr I'm a faggot loser who reads scripts online
> I don't understand actual production
>I don't read interviews from the creators either
>I know what I'm talking about not you!
>penis tastes good

>enjoying a movie about fashion as a male
>not guy on guy ass sex tier homo

your post is trash
your life is trash
you are trash
trash

See

>>I don't read interviews from the creators either
Then you'd have known that Refn changed the ending midway through shooting the film, which he always does in chronological order. So it's impossible for him to have had the ending in mind or even shot it before and then making the rest of the movie fit as you say.
But I guess you just want to shitpost

But I like it more therefore it's better.

kek
can't believe it took you that long just to rip off one of the insults i used

telling strangers you like "art-house" movies (read: mildly experimental repackaged run-of-the-mill flickz) and shitting on low-hanging fruit does not a patrician make

Changing the word order around does not an intellectual remark make :^)

Holy shit you're so wrong. I don't have the time to waste looking for the interview but it's out there mentioned multiple times about how things were changed due to the budget restrictions and location timelines. You fucking idiots obsess over the dumbest things and think some hack like Refn does things one specific way all the time even when has no money to do so. There are even multiple scenes where the end result is nothing like what they really intended with the main example being the triangle fashion show that was supposed to be under water and they end up using mirrors to imitate it like some school play. The dark style is a total rip off of another artists, just like the uses of lighting in certain scenes, but t he blackness is used once again due to budget. The cinematographer carried the entire project even though she took the job after talking to Refn once and reading a fake script.

Bretty good but slips terribly towards the end, even the visuals start to slack

>Holy shit you're so wrong. I don't have the time to waste looking for the interview
Just say you're wrong then, no need to be this upset.

>You fucking idiots obsess over the dumbest things and think some hack like Refn does things one specific way all the time even when has no money to do so.
You should watch the documentary his wife made then, because again he was out of money in Thailand and him and Ryan had to whore themselves out for wads of cash like a drug deal to complete Only God Forgives. And he still shot everything in chronological order because that's just how his mind works.

>The dark style is a total rip off of another artists,
Who? You being awfully vague isn't helping.

>The cinematographer carried the entire project even though she took the job after talking to Refn once and reading a fake script.
Refn hired her because only she was the cheapest. Classic Refn.

It's garbage meant for teenagers.

>Neon Demon is about beauty, which is written off by many people as being superficial. But generally people have a very complicated relationship to beauty, because it’s really about themselves — your own vanity, how you see yourself, narcissism. Elle [Fanning] and I wanted to make a horror film for a teenage audience about a theme that for them is much more advanced than what we’re used to. You and I were brought up to think of narcissism as a taboo, something negative. My kids’ generation, Elle’s generation, sees it as a virtue. That is so fascinating, and complex. The meaning is so clear, but how crazy is it that this is the way that it’s moved?

This mother fucker is retarded.

Not an argument.

Jodorowsky named Refn as his heir a few years ago, he's just starting to annoy the plebs

No one is trying to argue with you you're just dumb and cab't bother to fact check it yourself other than saying "that's wrong". Typical Cred Forums looking to argue over nothing.

>cab't bother to fact check it yourself other than saying "that's wrong".
You're the one who can't bother to provide evidence for your claims.
Invoking alt-right Billy Corgan again.

Is this Sarah? I know it's her jacket, but isn't the hair curly like Jesse's?

>74451633
based refn, nothing more

too symmetrical 4 me

It's a slow burn but the fact that Elle's three pals were actually witches who bathed in the blood of virgins to gain their beauty was pretty neat.

>e's pretentious dogshit
>literally the definition of pretentious, punching above his intellectual weight

lol

stop reading so much into his films. he isn't lynch.

>were actually witches

uh huh

I love me some Jenna

they used magic, bathing in her blood and eating her body gave them her power, jena was bathing in moonlight and birthing whatever the fuck that shit was. that's a witch right?

i didn't really dwell on it so much. it was something possibly supernatural but beyond that, there wasn't much indication of what exactly was going on.

it was definitely supernatural. the one model friend who got passed up over elle then gets the job with the photographer at the end who instantly sees the power she gained from consuming Elle.

>Pusher
>Empty trash masquerading as art
lol

Well the movie is basically America's Next Top Model/American Horror Story/Aesthetic Blog bastard child, and that's right up gay's alley.

meh, kinda underwhelming, starts of pretty strong, music and cinematography are on point as ususal, but the second half was pure shit and you just saw that Refn didn't know where to go with the story so he abondenedwhat made the movie interesting and went with your run of teh mill horror story

Best film of the year. It is authentic kino and I can't for the life of me understand why so many mouthbreathers on here can't see that.

What tried to rape her?

Was it Keanu or her bf?

Def Keanu

Wider

Refn is entry level trash, b-b-but cinematography. His flicks are arthouse for dummies. You faggots need to watch real kino

Nice statements you got there, sport. Got any arguments to go with them?

Malone stole this movie. she acted circles around everyone

In many interviews it was stated they shot chronologically. stop shitposting

i wish i was you. I wasted my fucking time watching that shit. Fucking worst movie i watched ever.

I got inspired by the neon demon, obviously.
Do you like it?

/thread

You two fine gentlemen should form a suicide pact.

Thanks for the (You) here is yours fucktard.

/unthread

It was a damn fine movie. Sexy and disturbing.

Refn DID refer to it as a "teenage horror movie" (during the Cannes PC, for example). So in a way, you're right.

Nah, it's Jesse. She was pure, so she went to heaven... or something...

Pure my ass. Dumb bitch tried to play above her league and got got. Fully deserved.
And that obviously ain't her, autismo

she literally says in the pool scene that she knows exactly what she is doing. the film also shows that she is just as shallow as all the people around her, she has literally no personality, no skills... nothing. only thing she has is her beauty - she is exactly like all the other models even if she pretends not to be deep down she knows she is just like them.

Keanu was the best part of it.

>pretentious

Guess how I know you're a complete and utter pleb?

How's the torrent quality right now for this movie?

The blu-ray is out so pretty great.

Fuck off and fuck yourself. Capeshit and reboots are your fault and yours alone!
"Oh look, it's a movie where I can have a wank on Elle Fanning. Yeah, I'm just gonna sit on my fat ass and wait until someone torrents it."
You suck.

Is this just Black Swan but with models?

No.

Black Swan is a solid flick. This is kino.

Its terrible it copies the visuals from Only God Forgives but doesn't actually have any reason to use them other than the fact Refn is a hack

Literally why would you think this is better than black swan
>Black Swan had actual cinematography and difficult camera tricks
>Black Swan characters had coherent development
>Black Swan is based of Perfect Blue a good movie and not some butchered adaptation of a screenplay

>Literally why would you think this is better than black swan

Because it's a better film.

confused looking nigger with question marks around his head.jpg

Style over substance: the director.

Drive was actually enjoyable because there was some semblance of plot that strung all of the scenes together.

I watched both TND as well as OGF back to back (following nights), and they were both absolute dogshit, nothing going for them at all except for visuals.

The last half of TND is marginally better than the first half because there's some character development, rather than freeze frame zoom shots which is all the first half is. I guess it's accurate in terms of what it's trying to look like, which is a Vogue shoot, etc.

OGF has almost no redeeming features.

I really enjoyed Bronson and didn't even realise it was by him, probably because it was shot before he got full of himself post-Drive's success and started trying to make lightning strike twice.

>OGF has almost no redeeming features.
youtu.be/nOYVpQhMZYE

Speak not embryo

I hated Bronson the first time I saw it about a year ago.

Re-watched it two nights ago and my opinion has done a 180. The shots, lighting, music all seemed more coherent.

Maybe it's a result of low expectations but I now consider it in his top 3

I thought it was just playing on how cut throat the beauty business is, how vapid and selfish everyone is, they'll literally murder their competition and bathe in their blood hoping it'll make their skin look a little bit younger, similar to how they rub shit made of foreskin on their faces.

Twist at the end being it actually worked and they got better roles.

>Alex Jones

laffing

Also where does this Embryo meme come from

Some similar themes but it's pretty different.

Speaking that, here's the link to the original script. I like this ending more.

dropbox.com/s/9p89jk37yrp9mld/THE NEON DEMON(1).pdf?dl=0

>Jenna Malone will never force herself on you

why even live?

Is Stefposting the latest fad?

Its been on for like a year

>NWR on Alex Jones

this will be good

Best movie of 2016 so far desu

really needs to be seen on the big screen in surround sound

8.5/10

pic related

I came for Suspiria in synth neon and was satisfied.

Come on, Aronofsky fans and Refn fans should have no problem living in harmony.

Yet another ruined Witch story.

Hear me out, they should have made it a demonic birth story.
>3 actual witches
> elle gets sacrificed
> both blondes die instead of one.
>malones character births a demon

or alternatively
>the australian kills jenna malones character. it becomes clear that the australian has been possessed by elle's character.

when she eats the eyeball at the end. metal as fuck.

his worst movie was valhalla rising.

that was unbearably grim.

10/10 style and visuals

4/10 story and character development.

each character has what? 100 - 200 words of dialogue?

>>the australian kills jenna malones character. it becomes clear that the australian has been possessed by elle's character.
That's what happened in the original script

A prime example of why men should not be allowed to make films about women and/or the experience of being a woman. I knew going into this that I would hate it, but it far surpassed hatred and ventured into the realm of vehement disdain and disgust.

Most of the scathing reviews I've encountered on letterboxd have adamantly addressed the problematic nature of this film so I won't bother to waste any more of my time; but suffice to say, The Neon Demon further solidifies my aversion to everything that Nicolas Winding Refn creates. His affinity for vapidity and "style over substance" is not as intriguing as he seems to think. The fact he actually dedicated this film to his wife with a little heart ("For Liv

>Come on, Aronofsky fans and Refn fans should have no problem living in harmony.

Yeah. I like Aronofsky's work, I really do. I still enjoyed TND way more than Black Swan.

poor man's black swan

i swear Cred Forums has the worst taste in movies. le ebin contrarians.

That scene, or rather the buildup when she brushes Elle's hair, had me instabonering so hard. Classic cineboner.

I enjoyed it more too. But BS is the better film, tb.h

elle pls marry me

Look, the thing is: From a Hollywood point of view, BS was of course the more coherent, plausible, better written, possibly better directed film.
The problem is: One SHOULDN'T bear those preconceptions when watching a Refn film. I'm not saying that Refn is ABOVE that. His directorial style is still vastly different. His modus operandi is much more akin to the likes of Godard and Truffaut. That's not necessarily a great thing either. Personally I'm really not a huge fan of the Nouvelle Vague. And yet I'm of the firm opinion that comparing Refn to Aronofsky just leads to nowhere. So debating whether BS or TND is a "better" movie, is really just a moot point.

she's just so HNNNNNNNG!
instagram.com/p/BKCOaAdDzJe/

Elle Fanning not being as attractive as they pretended that she was made the movie harder to watch for me.

I didn't quite understand the symbolism behind a cougar (or puma, whatever it was) getting into her room. Is it supposed to add to the narrative that Elle is a pure and innocent beauty and everything in this shallow, corrupted world is out there to get her?

congrats, you're fucking gay

Refn said it was about the virtue of narcissism. I didn't get that. Can anyone explain?

There should have been a cameo for Creepy Chan...

you didn't pay attention to the whole monologue about natural vs manufactured beauty

A few questions:
-was fucking the corpse part of the ritual too?
-who was the owner of the house?
-was ruby immortal or something?
-did her tattoos mean something?
-what does the wildcat means?
-was dean the one who tried to rape her? Why?

-was fucking the corpse part of the ritual too?
no, she was just horny
-who was the owner of the house?
one of the people buried in the yard
-was ruby immortal or something?
she's probably a lot older than she looks
-did her tattoos mean something?
she's obviously into the occult
-what does the wildcat means?
Jesse is surrounded by predators
-was dean the one who tried to rape her? Why?
he was mad because Jesse rejected him

youtube.com/watch?v=c9PCxz3KyFc

The real question is how many more film soundtracks will Sia defile?

His films usually turn out decent, but he is an asshole, yeah.

>scene in Bronson where fruity boxing promoter says, "Let's fuck!"
>cringe as fuck. totally out of place
>watching behind the scenes footage
>it's what Refn shouts on set instead of action. put it in there as a homage to himself

Refn is the textbook definition of pretentious faggot.

Probably my least favourite so far but I loved all the others so it doesn't mean much

Now I only have to watch Bleeder and Fear X and I'll be able to make a definitive ranking

Loved the credits desu

Yes I did. Are you really implying Elle Fanning is naturally beautiful to the point where she would steal all model gigs in town and make other models so jealous they would want to kill her?

>hat-tips his own autism
top fucking kek

No, I'm implying that the casting is deliberate.

Pretty much this. I like a few of his movies, but they don't offer much other than pretty sight and sound, although Drive achieves more than the rest. They don't have anything smart to say, and this is more obvious when you listen to what Refn says in interviews about his movies.

They are empty films, but if you use sparse dialogue and hamfisted symbolism, plebs who also enjoy Inarritu and PTA will think you made "art." I still like Drive, OGF and a couple others okay though.

am i banned

yes

ok I guess I'm not hahaha (good)

There is nothing going on in Refn's head. His movies are completely vapid. They tend to look and sound great, but this just lends itself to commercials and music videos. He punched above his weight with Drive, but he has been exposed with his other films.

He's kind of similar to Michael Mann as far as having a good eye/ear for sound and visuals (Although definitely not as good as Mann), but without any substance, characterization, plot or theme.

>He punched above his weight with Drive, but he has been exposed with his other films.

Yeah, because "Bronson", the "Pusher" trilogy and OGF are bad movies, right?

Fuck off.

I'm actually not though you big ol' sausage

I wouldn't call them bad. I'd give each of those 6/10, although Drive is his only movie that deserves real acclaim, and Neon Demon fell short of all those movies.

He needs help with story, character, and theme. He should become a DP at this point.

literally mfw

i think it's the best thing to come out of refn

i dedicate this post for Liv

>birthing
she was menstruating

this, easily the hottest woman in the movie

reminder that nwr made this film because he wants to be a 16 year old girl

>eating cupcakes in bed
>getting crumbs everywhere

why does he sound so sad, it's almost like he's going to cry at any given moment

please

I need to believe that every time Jenna has sex or does a sex scene in a film, in her head she is reenacting scenes from Bastard Out of Carolina and it's making her wet as fuck

>mfw that scene

>Bastard Out of Carolina
first time i've seen someone who isn't myself reference that movie

a waste of time

Watching i t right now. I like it.

Kys

it was an interesting story I guess.

my big grip with movies that deal with the fashion industry and/or hollywood

just seems like there big inside jokes
and the movies were made for all their wine snifting nose turning friends in hollywood or the fashion industry.

Kinda feel like Refn is turning into the hollywood gimp.

Hollywood lets him out of the box every so often to let us bear witness to the beautifully grotesque

but he's in danger of becoming boxed in his style like tim burton.

Refn-esque is going to be a thing with the next generation of movie makers.

Surprising no one has really drawn any parallels between The NEon Demon and Springbreakers

he only made Drive in hollywood

western cinema is pretty much "hollywood"

theres bollywood
China
and hollywood

russia, japan, korea, europe

they are all "hollywood"

To save people's time when discussing this piece of kino or other similar kino I have a pro-tip:

If a person's criticism includes the phrase "style over substance" or "nothing happens" the likelihood that they're a mouthbreathing idiot are about 99.5% and whatever they have to say is not going to be interesting or worth your time. These phrases indicate a severe lack of understanding of the film medium.

It's a bit like hooking up with a 16-year-old girl. You know, when you're like: "Hey, it's surprisingly fun to hang out with you even though I'm almost twice your age!" And she's like: "Yeah, I know I'm cute as fuck and you're a cool guy but sex is bad. Could you help me with my algebra homework?" And you're like: "Bitch, your parents are paying me for your English lessons, I don't know shit about algebra!"
You know, the usual shit.

I had an uncle who kinda looked like Van Gogh.

Doncha talk shit about Sia. Without Sia there would be no batshit crazy spaz-dancing Maddie Ziegler.

>Comparing a fucking hack like Refn to a genius like Mann

go away

I wish Refn would make a movie starring both Fannings.

made me chuckle

mann is a bore

This was miles better than Only God Forgives.

no it wasnt

Refn does seem to take a little audio-visual inspiration and style from Mann, but like I said, Mann is much better overall and in the audio-visual department.

The comparison is meant to illustrate how lacking Refn is.

Dakota should've just been twins without Elle ever existing, 2bh. Obviously there's no god, though, so we have yet another FAS abortion

Anyone else?

It's an obscure classic.

I've never seen anyone ask Malone about it in interviews. This scene is insanely intense for anyone to do, let alone a kid and of course for Ron Eldard to have to do this shit to her.

>Dakota Fanning was in Hounddog when she was a kid and did a rape scene

>Jena Malone was in Bastard Out of Carolina when she was a kid and did a rape scene

>Elle is Dakota's sister and starred with Malone in The Neon Demon where she almost gets raped by Jena Malone

It's all coming together....

Elle>Dakota

I liked it. It reminded me a lot of Stealing Beauty. I thought the dedication at the end was for Liv Tyler instead of Refn's wife.

>tfw no Jena Malone gf

Wowee! What a little slut!

w-why does this picture make my pee pee tingle

>Literally "'Elle a cute. CUTE': The Movie"

you're a sick pervert

Lacked people peeing on carpets though.

Refn is great when he has someone else writing his scripts. I don't see how he is entry level.

;_; That's NOT a hot scene...

literally proven wrong by the pic. Elle only looks good when makeup and the right angle hide here FAS. Dakota doesn't need that help to look good. I honestly think Ellefags are autistic.

FAS, eh... Well, let's see:

>epicanthal folds (a.k.a. "cat eyes")
nope
>low nasal bridge
nope
>minor ear abnormalities
Of course she has protruding ears, but that's not an "abnormality".
>indistinct philtrum (a.k.a. medial cleft)
Well... nope
>Thin upper lip
Nay
>Flat midface and short nose
The nose might not be everyone's taste, but it's not exceptionally short.
Noticeable cheekbones, thus not a flat midface
>Short palpebral fissures
Again: Nope
>micrognathia
nopity nope

>someone likes something I don't like
>must be autistic
>everyone knows you cannot like anything I don't like
>everyone knows
>there's one set way and you cannot deviate
>personal preferences are an incomprehensible concept

Congratulations. You're an autist.

The cuteness is tearing me apart!

Look at all the lines about beauty and how Jesse became a complete narcissist (or revealed herself to be) and also look at his comments and reception of the film. Buzzwords like "pretentious" and "self indulgent" used in negative reviews confirm the overall theme of the film. It's a satire of the idea of narcissism whilst simultaneously being a celebration of it. Hence why Refn is obviously wanking himself off with this film. It's very much rooted in his own perspective of himself. A self parody in a sense but unashamedly so as Refn basks in his own fetishes. It walks the line of poignancy and meaningless tripe purposefully to comment on lots of concepts and things ranging from society and art itself. Refn in a way satirises himself without shame as a way to comment on the whole idea of narcissism.

>ctrl+f real lolita shit
>0 results

man you guys have shit taste

REAL
E
A
L

LOLITA
O
L
I
T
A

SHIT
H
I
T

It's nice. I like the colour. And the shape. This is definitely one of the more triangular triangles I've seen in recent times. You got the angles right. And the points look rather pointy as well.
Keep up the good work. You're gonna get far.

Heh.

Could have done without a lot of the second half, but overall was pretty amazing to see a movie like this get a wide release.

>1299x544
Fucking retard

kewlz

>being this new
It's an old Cred Forums classic

No. Try again.

I felt like she was purging the ugliness out of her body.

I really it

they all got something of hers that are present throughout the whole film: sexuality, hunger and "it"

Deleted this movie after viewing it because despite alleged "1080p" quality there were giant artifacts polluting the screen. I feel as if, by pirating an inferior quality version of this film, I have robbed myself of a great experience.

I want to pirate a larger file, but I can't step in the same pool of menstrual blood twice and it really makes me angry

Is SIA music, musickino?