Is this Kubrick's best film?

Is this Kubrick's best film?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/9lzSoKOs1fc
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Cred Forums talks about it so regularly that I need to get round to seeing it, on general overall principles.

I've never seen it. Dad saw it once years ago and all I know of it is that he has periodically expressed his dislike.

My dad's not a pleb he's a cool dude, a man of wit and humor I'll fight you

yes

nice trips

next thread

off by one, kys

It's visually very stunning and like all Kubrick films post Lolita it has interesting themes, but I think Ryan O'Neal is almost always a bad choice in films that are a drama. It's worth seeing, but It would never be the first Kubrick film I recommend anyone. Nor do I think it's his best.

>taking turns shooting each other

Did they really duel like this? I thought they both fired at once. That was how Hamilton and Burr did it.

People on this board say it's the best because it's contrarian, I think it's not remembered as well as his other films simply because it wasn't as good as his best.

No, 1700s is just a boring theme to most people

According to reddit it is. Everybody else likes different ones and with good reasons for each. Personally I think it's Dr. Strangelove

This is Kubrick's greatest film by a long distance.

a clockwork orange
the shining
Dr strangelove or how I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb
Barry Lyndon
Paths of Glory
FMJ
Eyes Wide Shut
The Killing
Flying padre

Keep in mind every single one of these is kino though

The Duellists is WAY better.

Sorry, Kubes, Scott trumped you on this one. But Kubes knew that already, that's why he wanted to make Napoleon

i found it incredibly dull and boring. something something cinematography and candlelight, sure, but it fucking put me to sleep.

You can argue the best Kubrick film. There is no clear answer though.

I would argue 2001 even though it has spots that are not perfect and really feels kinda like 3 or so short movies put together.

I remember Barry cucking some oldfart

Nothing is a boring theme you dumb motherfucker. You can make anything interesting if you are creative enough to impress most people.

>most people are subhumans
fixed that for you

yes, but it might as well be a novel. btw i think it's one so just read it

I think it is his best film in a sense, in the same way that a number of films are his best films - in a sense - when you approach them thematically.

My argument for Lyndon being his best film is it's the most universal - it's a story about a life lived.

His other films have generally more narrow focuses and concerns, regardless of how textually ingenious or insightful they are.

Yeah, user. Barry Lyndon is his best film. There isn't a soul on Earth to whom his ambitions and failures are not of vital concern.

Yes, tied with EWS they are both far above every other Kubrick film.

Don't, having had to read 15 or so picaresque novels at university I can guarantee you Barry Lyndon is far more digestible than anything from that era. I'm not sure if that's not the only reason I like it honestly

>Yes, tied with EWS they are both far above every other Kubrick film.

utter bollocks, (you)

it was boring af

I think 2001, while great, is his most digestible and surface level film in his "later" period. It's very straight forward, despite all the plebs and pseuds claiming it is mind blowing and super hard to understand. It's an amazing film with a good story and good themes, but it does lack in depth compared to much of his other work.

Scott made a shitty action movie version of BL cause he's a giant hack

His other films are all great still, it's just that these are leagues ahead of them all. Paths of Glory and FMJ come close though

>His other films are all great still, it's just that these are leagues ahead of them all. Paths of Glory and FMJ come close though

>Not knowing that A Clockwork Orange might also be the greatest of his films.

Please tell me you're not lionising EWS because 'muh Illuminati' because I got news for you, son - believing that retarded shit any time after 1990 is KYS territory...

No, I don't think EWS is about that at all. I think it's got a lot in common with FMJ actually. The world is a lie, we are tricked into living life a certain way to please society, told we can do better but in the end we are simple tools of the rich and powerful. Men are trained to earn money and use it to gain things. Women are trained to fuck men for money. The wife as prostitute. The rich and powerful's machinations are in the end all about sex, but they must go to great lengths to hide this, to show that they are not as base as the people around them. There is something mysterious and sophisticated about their sex, it is not just regular old sex that any Dr. Bill can pick up for a few hundred bucks.

Any CO is pretty good, haven't seen it in a while but I wouldn't rank it near the top of my list, feel similarly about Shining

Jesus Christ did you even read the original Schnitzler?

You have no idea what you're rambling about.

This isnt a capeshit thread.

You think Kubrick stays true to his source material you dumb cunt? I have a very distinct idea what I'm rambling about. Yes, on one level the film is an exploration of jealousy through dreams but there's a lot more to the film than that and if you can't see it, and I hate to say this, I really do, you, my friend, may in fact be a... pleb.

You didn't read it and I know for a fact that you didn't.

No I did not, never said I did. I don't care about it, I'm talking about the film, not the book. They're different things, not supplementary, not complimentary.

2001 > Paths of Glory > Dr. Strangelove > Barry Lyndon > Full Metal Jacket > The Killing > The Shining > Spartacus > Eyes Wide Shut > Lolita > A Clockwork Orange

>No, I don't think EWS is about that at all. I think it's got a lot in common with FMJ actually. The world is a lie, we are tricked into living life a certain way to please society

Your adolescent concerns are showing. And they are eternally boring. Don't watch ANY Kubrick for at least five years.
And everything else you posted was pure shit not worth addressing.

As a public service, and because it's a Sunday, I will provide you with a more coherent view on EWS (I confess I have not read Traum Novelle)...

EWS is an enjoyable mystery, and is a meditation on reproductive urges and rationality. It is also a film I don't mind admitting I probably don't understand. If there is one take away for you here, it's that last point, friendo...

Cred Forums constantly jerks off to it so that means it's no longer the underdog patrician film for contrarians to say is his best. Can we go back to agreeing 2001 is probably one of the greatest films ever made?

>probably
I think you mean "definitely"

I knew already that you didn't. I didn't require your confirmation. It was obvious from the outset that you never read the original Schnitzler. Your post was entirely extraneous. It was obvious.

>Cred Forums is one person

Stop projecting your insecure taste on others, faggot

I agree though, 2001 is and always will be one of the greatest films ever made

instead of getting absurdly mad at you for being a raging cunt im going to bed

2deep4u

Yeah you'd better go to bed

Not him, but you are being an atrocious pleb right now.Please shut the fuck up.

>There isn't a soul on Earth to whom his ambitions and failures are not of vital concern.

Women

Best looking, but not best film. Eyes Wide Shut by a mile.

>Women

kek.
user, we both know they don't count.

>women
>souls
user?

Strangelove is his best

If you're a hipster, sure

Guess all his other movies are "too mainstream" to be good, huh? Too popular? That makes you a hipster

Looks like a big piece of crap tbqhf.

youtu.be/9lzSoKOs1fc

Full Metal Jacket is his best.

From best to worst:

Eyes Wide Shut
A Clockwork Orange
Barry Lyndon
The Shining
The Killing
Full Metal Jacket
Dr Strangelove
Lolita

That's actually how it happend...

>2001
>worst

le ebin contrarian xD

Kubrick's Barry Lindon is one masterpiece that no one other than the master himself would have been able to produce.
I mean he even modified his lenses so he would be able to film with candle lights.

The narration is weird allowing a long ass movie that looses you in time and life.

It's a movie about life, love and pride.

not putting 2001 at least top 3

TOP LOL
the dude predicted the ISS, screened it and made a movie about universal ideas.

I guess that makes it bad for a dumb ass fuck

NO

Eyes Wide Shut > 2001 A Space Oddysey > A Clockwork Orange > Barry Lyndon > The Shining > Dr Strangelove > The Killing > Full Metal Jacket > Lolita

What are some films that are similar to Barry Lyndon? I really loved this movie, I wish I could see something similar. I've watched The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp before Barry Lyndon and they are kind of similar to me, because both portray a life of a person. I guess I am just a sucker for those kinds of movies.

No eyes wide shut followed by 2001

>I'd rather be known as a cuckold than a fool!
>t. oldfart cuck

From best to worst
BARRY LYNDON
A CLOCKWORK ORANGE
EYES WIDE SHUT
THE SHINING
PATHS OF GLORY
LOLITA
DR. STRANGELOVE
FULL METAL JACKET

Tell me one thing that is funny about this meme.

Cinematography wise it's his best, which is saying a lot considering it was one of Kubricks main strengths throughout his films.

But otherwise, his best film is an almost purely subjective thing.
Barry Lyndon is about life, the choices you make and their possible far reaching consequences. This should resonate with everyone who watches it.

It might be too slow for some.

>kiss me my boy... for we shall never meet again

fuckin scene gets me every time

>Dad saw it once years ago and all I know of it is that he has periodically expressed his dislike.
>My dad's not a pleb
choose one my man

Lazarillo de Tormes is the GOAT

dad probably didn't like it because it reminded him of all the times he was cucked by a handsome Irishman

1- 2001
2- Dr Strangelove
3- Barry Lyndon