What movies accurately depict and deal with depression?

What movies accurately depict and deal with depression?

Other urls found in this thread:

imdb.com/title/tt0330243/
youtube.com/watch?v=XrY9DJLDxOc
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Accurately? Not a single one.

Every wes anderson movie, otherwise.

anomalisa
synedoche new york

Tell me about these
Are they good?

man the fuck up and watch everything you huge pussy

though anomalisa is unarguably kaufman's weakest movie.

naked

The most accurate, I'd say Oslo, 31 August, along with the original, Le Feu Follet. They're also probably the most depressing and pessimistic of this kind I've seen too.
They're basically about a guy who decides he's going to kill himself the next day, only the day before he goes around meeting his old friends and acquaintances one last time to maybe find reason in living. The newer one is more about the emotional and relatable aspect of it, while the older one deals more with the philosophical side.

Also this. One of my absolute favorites.

Would you hug him and tell him everything is going to be okay? I would.
Poor guy. Even the prospect of a relationship with that qt didn't work for him

Not that pussy beta shit that's for sure.

>unarguably
You mean Adaptation. Anomalisa is just different, not bad. You can't really compare it to his other stuff because it barely even has a narrative.

le hug on bike meme

>that bar scene tho
"You were always an asshole even before you became a drug addict."
That's some of the deepest kind of hurt I've ever seen.

I don't think a hug would have helped him though, since the film is literally about that. "What if it doesn't get better?"

>muh depression
Nu male detected

Not a movie, but the second season of You're the Worst was pretty unflinching about the whole thing

That bar guy was an idiot; you don't talk to a broken depressive person like that.
He was like this fag .
Anders was out of place in the world be grew up in and that's why might have come off as an asshole

Nah you actually are just a faggot.

I used to be depressed too so I know what it's like. Just cut that shit out.

The Master is a way better depressed Joaquin kino than ''her''

Well yeah, of course. I just meant that that's one of the most hurtful things you can say to someone.
I love how the movie deals with the whole thing, even the aspects that aren't usually talked about. Like how his friend at the beginning cares about him, only he doesn't know how to talk to him so he just says some hypocritical bullshit that he himself doesn't believe and then gives up and leaves. Eventually even your closest friends get tired of you and abandon you because of course, they have their own shit to worry about.

depression is a natural state when you know how futile your efforts for happiness are and how your life is insignificant and pointless

Teen angst =/= depression. If you actually knew what it's like you'd feel empathy. Also you'd understand that "what it's like" is bullshit because everyone's different. Don't talk about things you don't know anything about, user. It's really obvious.

>If you actually knew what it's like you'd feel empathy
You don't need to know what it's like to feel empathy. The entire point of empathy is that you're able to relate to something you haven't felt yourself.

Probs eva.

You almost got it.

Little Children (2005)

thats sympathy

you do though, depression can't be communicated in any meaningful way which itself greatly contributes to the state, i won't fight your ignorance any further

First of all, I pointed out that you had empathy wrong. Then...

>depression can't be communicated in any meaningful way
Well, duh. It's not an emotional state, it's a mental condition that goes beyond simple emotion.

Either way, it's very amusing that you're calling me ignorant on my own trade. Keep protecting that tiny fragile ego by projecting its weakness unto others. That rainbow is just around the corner!

>adaptation
>bad

Like I said, anomalisa is unarguably kaufman's weakest.

A Single Man.

Overdone answer, but the use of color really reflects what it's like most of the time.

See Maybe check the dictionary before using super duper complicated words, buddy.

>bad
Where did you get that from? I love that film.

Like I said, Anomalisa is just different, not bad. You can't really compare it to his other stuff because it barely even has a narrative.

that poster isn't who you thought, proves the point pretty well.

>tiny fragile ego
i just declared my inability

>simple emotion
>emotion
>simple

check urself m8

Would you be kind enough to link me a stream with english subtitles ?

All the sites i know, only have norwegian ones.

>shitty rip-off
>mattering

imdb.com/title/tt0330243/

polish film, but im sure theres english subtitles somewhere on the internet. it's absolute kino

that poster argues for your position lol

None because depressed people don't make movies, they make anime.

What? Who? What's going on?

I'm
And no I obviously don't agree with him because he's a massive asshole who has no idea what he's talking about.

I don't think Anders decides to kill himself the next day. He had sex with that girl but it didn't help him feel better so he tries to do it once. He chickens out and decides to give it all one more shot. THEN, depending on who you ask and what kind of person you are, he makes the decision at one point during the night. During the bar, or when his friend discovers him stealing, or when the second phone call goes to voice mail, etc.

I can tell this is a normies bad attempt at making a movie about depression just from that screenshot.

stfu it's a great movie
youtube.com/watch?v=XrY9DJLDxOc

OP didn't ask whether it's a good movie or not.

I don't think linking to piracy is allowed, but if you're really desperate, I saw that one of the streams on the Fmovies site has double subtitles available, so you can watch it with both the hardcoded norwegian and soft english subs at the same time.
Or you could, you know, just fucking torrent it instead.

the word "ignorance" triggered you to the point of disregarding the substance of my post with which you agree.

my post, none before it

Well, torrenting is extremely risky where i live, so i'd much rather just stream it.

What? So you replied to your own post?
I have no idea who's who anymore and honestly I don't care enough to look more deeply into it.

barely says anything of value to apart from just shitting on them so I assumed it's the asshole from before who doesn't understand depression.

>you can't compare one narrative work to another narrative work because the one narrative work doesn't have much narrative

... so we're in agreement that anomalisa is kaufman's weakest.

Melancholia isn't very subtle, but it gets close.

it's funny you assumed that, anyhow, calm your horses

>you can't compare one narrative work to another narrative work because the one narrative work doesn't have much narrative
Exactly. They're just structured completely differently. The lack of a solid narrative is by no means a bad thing. You can't compare films like Tropical Malady, Hard to be a God, The Turin Horse and even Anomalisa with ones like Adaptation, The Thing, Blade Runner etc. They're all great movies of course, but they're on two completely different planes.

Anomalisa was never meant to be a regular, mainstream movie that follows a regular structure. It was meant to be a very personal and intimate experience unbounded by the usual cinema constraints. Whether it resonates with you or not is your own deal, but everything about that movie was obviously intentional from Kaufman's part.

I thought people already figured that out after seeing what an insane absurdist clusterfuck Synecdoche NY was, but I guess it went over everyone's heads. Much like Malick or Lynch, Kaufman doesn't give a fuck if his audience is ridiculously niche. They're very personal projects and he's making them for himself mainly.

So basically yeah, Anomalisa is just different, not bad. You can't really compare it to his other stuff because it barely even has a narrative.

So its cool that we agree that anomalisa is kaufman's weakest work, for it had the fewest ideas and the least articulation of those ideas of anything kaufman has done.

Its weird how you keep trying to spin that as meaning the opposite though.

Whatever you say, pal.

>for it had the fewest ideas and the least articulation of those ideas
Lack of complexity does not equal lack of quality. You can just focus on a single plot device or idea and as long as you do it right (which he did), you can work wonders. There's plenty of great, yet simple films out there.

And for the record, I don't think it's his best, or at least not my favorite. I prefer Eternal Sunshine and Synecdoche NY, but Anomalisa comes right after that.

Birdman

>anomalisa
>focused

... Okay so now you're just being silly or confusing the small scale/cast for focus.

The problem with anomalisa is apart from the ten second dream sequence, there's no real articulation of the character's fregoli delusion. It's just treated as a weak plotting device for puppet sex. The movie touches upon a loss of self and the level of narcissism necessary to maintain a fregoli delusion, but doesn't do anything with it. It's basically the movie kaufman describes as wanting to write in adaptation before brian cox yells at him and, turns out, its exactly as weak as adaptation said it would be.

to an extent, this

Taxi Driver

That movie is shit because people still use money in the future...

You think corporatism will end in the apple future?

>there's no real articulation of the character's fregoli delusion
That's because it's not about that. The film doesn't focus on the disorder because it's a fucking metaphor, just like the whole puppet motif. Jesus christ, how did you fucking miss that.
And yeah, of course he could have made another Synecdoche NY and delve into his psyche or whatever, but he clearly wanted to keep it simple. The entire narrative is literally just a one night stand, for fuck's sake.

Taxi Driver

This is actually correct. The true male depression is rarely depicted is because often it turns extremely dark and sinister.
A lot of people can't sympathize with that.

I got that, it was boring, I mined the subtext and overtones for more, there wasn't any.

The movie is literally just "dude does stuff, doesn't learn anything, does it again, fin, and its deep because hes a puppet whos a puppet to his own id or something, whatever."

I've never seen a non-romanticized version of depression. The problem is that it's just not an entertaining illness to watch. A depressive episode is basically the main character not being able to get out of bed, which is hard to show in a movie.

It doesn't often physically manifest itself. It's an internal thing.

>boring
That's just an opinion though, and not valid criticism. But of course, it's understandable if you don't like it. Ain't for everybody.

Like I said before, it's just a different kind of film, and it wasn't meant to be like the ordinary mainstream stuff in the first place. One of the examples I gave before was Hard to be a God. That film is literally just 3 hours of a 95% plotless slog full of misery, agony, filth and disgust, moving at a glacial pace. And it's an absolute masterpiece. Or how the second hour of Tropical Malady is a hunting session through the jungle in complete silence.
Some movies are their own thing. You can't compare them to anything else or even rate them on a usual number based scale. How do I have to explain it to you so you'll understand? It's just art. You can't put restrictions on it.

>ctrl+f drive
>0 results

Come on Cred Forums are you the meme board or not?

whats the original

>"the original"
Breathless
But that user is bullshitting. References to the french new wave and surrealist movements don't mean it's a rip-off. Not that I'm defending Eva, I'm not a huge fan of it myself, but it's not bad.

What do you mean it barely has a narrative?

>References

The whole flick is ripping off older stuff. There's a line between making a nice little reference and stealing everything.

that's not depression

EoE is better than Stalker.

Riki-oh: the story of Ricky

This meme has to stop.

World Peace by Million Dollar Extreme

my favorite movie

None.

Clinical depression is drinking a fifth of Vodka and lying in bed for three days only to get up for a sip of water.

>getting up for water
Fucking pleb. You don't understand my pain.

This

Everything in this thread

and my life

Watched it just now. The scene with the fire extinguisher was pure kino.

Did he honestly get cucked by a computer?

I guess this.

Depression is extremely difficult to convey to a person who never experienced it. Describing "feeling hopeless over stupid shit and fun not being fun" doesn't really mean much unless you experienced it. So I think the best way to get short-term depression is to trigger an existential crisis which EVA is capable of doing to an unprepared viewer. Most of the other stuff will mostly make people feel sad which isn't really a depression.

Not the guy you were replying to, but Adaptation is the better film as a whole.

I Stand Alone

>Mel mad level: overload

Top leliel

>this is what /r9k/ actually believes

The Weather Man
Gegen die Wand
Le Feu Follet (but it's shit)

One piece of bona fide depressionkino, coming right up.

I often feel like Robert did in the years after he killed Jesse

>He kept to his apartment all day, flipping over playing cards, looking at his destiny in every King and Jack.

That would have been me in 1880

>>He kept to his apartment all day, flipping over playing cards, looking at his destiny in every King and Jack.

This line was literally the first thing I thought about when I woke up this morning.

No doubt Bob would be /oneofus/ if he were alive today.

the seventh continent

Persona by Ingmar Bergman