Have video games surpassed film in terms of art?

Have video games surpassed film in terms of art?

I mean just look at this

Majority of games are mindless, time-sink entertainment that never really use the value of interactivity to make a statement.

Rare instances like Undertale, SotC, or The Stanley Parable do occur, but not enough to say that video games have "surpassed" film.

>>Cred Forums

There is not even one video game that is on the level of a great movie artistically.

Would you look at it?

Show me something as artistically dense as this

Someone hasnt played bloodborne

I actually have.

I couldn't figure out how to equip weapons and I couldn't beat the first enemy.

>Film will never have a piece of media on the same level of artistry as these three masterpieces

Top kek, are you fags even trying?

Why do you still pretend that video games aren't an artform?

I think it has as a medium but nowhere near the level of computer graphics movies can have, we still haven't even got to the level of monsters inc, pixar level of detail in games and that film is many years old.

I think games can possibly tell a better story than movies also, mainly because they are interactive and longer lasting, just there are few game devs who have the talent.

Undertale had the exact same sense of humor every RPG has had since Paper Mario. I'm tired of it. The whole "moral decisions" thing, I've never seen done effectively. I think that usually when a game lets you make decisions that impact the story, it's just an excuse to not write a good story. They can say, "Oh well, it's your choices that made it this way". Just write a good story and let me play it.

Metal Gear Solid 2 and the 3d Grand Theft Auto games marked the breaking point where video games went beyond what film could do, and it's been 15 years since then.
However the cancer that is Hollywood's production values is forcing game developers to shit out wannabe movie tripe like last of us or uncharted

witcher 3 had some good decisions that impacted the story, shame that the real ending of the main quest cane from a few insignificant decisions

Undertale isn't great because of it's story. GAMEPLAY in Undertale is dynamic and ties into the game's story AND theme.

Gameplay in Paper Mario is just timing things right, which doesn't connect to the story/theme, or add any depth to the experience. Paper Mario is yet another game that only cares about gameplay + story as two separate entities without realizing the other dimensions to gaming.

>Film
Capeshit thrown out 6 times a year
>Vidya
Cinemashit thrown out 6 times a year

Both in holes right now

We need Nintendo and Sega back

Name 6 movie games this last year

how can you say super mario galaxy or in fact any nintendo game excluding there recent years hasn't got potential to be seen as art.

Rise of the Tomb Raider
Quantum Break
MGSV
Batman the Telltale Series
The Order 1886
Uncharted 4

you would be one of the most popular lets players and make tons of youtube money then.

>Undertale had the exact same sense of humor every RPG has had since Paper Mario
seriously?

>The Order 1886
Not this last year
>MGSV
Did you even play it?

The rest of them, fair enough.

Undertale
Inside
Persona 5
Soma

2 of them did not come out this year and, Persona 5? Seriously? By that logic every jrpg since the 90s has been movie-like.

>MGSV
>movie game

Video games have not even surpassed anime.

fails at both

>We need Nintendo and Sega back

This, at least these guys made actual games.

>fails at both
fails at being a movie, or a game?

It is by far the best gameplay in the entire series, not the best story, but the cinematics is the best in the entire series too

t.tryhard fag whose only reason to live is watching movies and stroking his ego and his omly claim to culture is not playing video games

MGSV was so bad that people actually stopped defending Kojima the same way people stopped defending Inafune against Capcom. It's not just ''not the best story'', it's by far the worst and most disappointing, hell people were expecting DLC to finish the story but it never happened and now there's a fucking zombie game.

Both, means both.

Depends on the game and the film. Some games (Dark Souls, Bloodborne, SOTL etc) have far more artistic merit than Transformers, Ghostbusters 2016 and TMNT. Games like CoD and Battlefront have far less artistic merit than films like Room or Whiplash.

I liked this game's writing more than most movies I've seen.