Why was this movie so good?

Why was this movie so good?

Why were the sequels so shit despite having the same writer?

Why are all Paul Verhoeven movies so good despite being mindless action movies?

Will there ever be something like it again?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=eMVysV1lp98
m.youtube.com/watch?v=8cdPWLYCnxc
m.youtube.com/watch?v=f-Xo1a9NQ-A
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I find it funny people say the sequels are bad, the second movie is essentially the dumb action movie people thought they were getting with the first and the third movie is the Robocop 2 of the series in my opinion. It builds on the themes on the first and gives us a better taste of the things we liked in it's universe. We all know it's not better but it still feels necessary that it exists.

ITS A GOOD DAY TO DIE.

>Why are all Paul Verhoeven movies so good despite being mindless action movies?

But they're not.

With Starship Troopers you get parody of extreme right politics

With Robocop you get critique on consumer culture/ mega corporations

With Total Recall you get dreams, identity and self.

They're all pretty multi-layered.

This is all true, it's still perfectly possible to enjoy the golden trilogy without being ironical about it or looking at the themes beneath the surface.
The characters are likeable, the stories engaging without being too simple or too complicated and the action is awesome.

Because fascism is the way forward and will lead humanity toward the stars

i think starship troopers is so good because of the advance in cgi and the subtle comedy, that would have only been funny to teenagers at the time of it's release.
most likely the sequels failed because they are low budget and the original was a one trick pony. plus the sequel didn't have the original cast and came out years after the original.

>With Starship Troopers you get parody of extreme right politics

What a heavenly utopia a meritocracy would be.

DAMN BRO THIS MOVIE HAS SOME DEEP SATIRE NO ONE GETS IT WTF!! HAHA, ITS SO SUBTLE ALL THE GUYS ARE WEARING NAZI UNIFORMS AND THEY HAVE PROPAGANDA OF PEOPLE STEPPING ON BUGS SAYING "CONTINUE THE FIGHT AT HOME" ONLY SMART PEOPLE WILL GET THIS!!!!!

The third one is great, but of course spouting off """opinions""" without actually having the slightest clue of what you're talking about is kind of your thing isn't it?

And Paul Verhoeven is only good at violent Hollywood action, his sex stuff sucks, and his Euro stuff puts me to sleep.

And yet people didn't get it.

>With Starship Troopers you get parody of extreme right politics

parody?

Is there a name for a parody proving to be better than the thing it's parodying? Does that make sense?

No, but Blazing Saddles and Young Frankenstein are good examples of this.

What about American History X?

American History X is about how all the parties involved are wrong and it comes off as that clearly. Hardly a parody.

>The Dad is wrong

youtube.com/watch?v=eMVysV1lp98

Yes he is, it is heavily implied that he is the one who planted the seeds of hatred that pushed his son to facestomping that nigger, who in turn pays for his sins with the life of his brother. Did you even watch the film?

Why did they think it was a good idea to remove the power armor from the book?

Yes. He wasn't wrong.

He's not wrong. He has no control of his son's actions.

He say's ace the test but don't fall for their bullshit.

Of course he doesn't, but he's the one that stoked the fire. Unknowingly, yes, but he's the one who did.

He wasn't right either. This is not black and white nigga(don't get cheeky with a screencap)

Probably money.

Then why is the original ending Ed Norton shaving his head?

The Dad's main point was to be wary of blacks. The cycle of violence was started when the blacks went to his house armed. This proves the Dad right.

The cycle of violence started with his father being shot while trying to save people in a burning building.

>Sent on a call to fight a fire in a drug den, Dennis is murdered by black drug dealers.

Point still stands

>Why were the sequels so shit despite having the same writer?

Because the writer was a fucking idiot and the writing is mostly shit. The director and high budget are what made that movie work.

However, I will say that I think the 2nd movie started off okay for having such a low budget.

The third movie did a better job of finally related the writer's message to modern times ( which he meant to do from the beginning), but needed a better director and higher budget. Also he kind of went off the rails with that weird religious stuff, to the point where it was totally ambiguous.

Point is, both the boots and laces and the nigs were a bunch of crazy assholes.

>they actually thought it wasn't a parody

>le heinlein was fascist

And yet the blacks instigated it all.

I talked to some user in another ST thread about how I hate people who conflate militarism with fascism.
THEY ARE NOT THE SAME THING YOU STUPID ASSHOLES MILITARISM CAN BE DEMOCRATIC, IN FACT DEMOCRACY WAS BORN OUT OF MILITARISM AND CITIZEN SOLDIERS HOLDING THE POWER

If you go back upstream enough you'll find the whites are at fault, but that's not the point is it?

Actually I'm pretty sure nigs are the original sinners considering they were the ones to capture slaves to sell to the whites

>If you go back upstream enough you'll find the whites are at fault

How?

Yes, but the nigs who sold these nigs into slavery are not the ones who are living with these nigs now and are thus not involved in this, whitey is. Fair point with an addendum: whitey was still buying slaves from them so hardly blameless.

You figure out some bone in the nose dudes sailing across the Atlantic and then crossing the continent towards California?

Point is, everybody was wrong in this shit. Like most conflicts.

Nice try lad but if you go by that logic then the whites who bought the slaves are also not the ones living with them nowadays and are thus not at fault either

He is probably not only talking about slavery, but also the general racism and oppression of black americans that existed during the 1900s.

Remember lynching and "whites only"?

Well, obviously. But I'm not into collective guilt and shit, point is nigs started shit and it just kept escalating.

I used his logic, but I hate the very idea of collective guilt. I'm not the kind of faggot who feels responsible for the evil doings of my forefathers.

No, and you shouldn't, it's only other whites and jews who says you should.

But can't you understand the class differences that a segregated society can create?

I mean the niggers growing up in the 80s and 90s, had parents born in the 50s-60s, and that's back when you guys still had color segregated schools and racism in america was real. Where there really was a huge class and social difference between blacks and whites. You can't see how this is likely to create a problematic generation? Especially in a low income area with crack and guns?

That song was on point.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=8cdPWLYCnxc

The second movie actually had some good music too.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=f-Xo1a9NQ-A

>But can't you understand the class differences that a segregated society can create

You have no idea how familiar I am to this coming from behind the Iron Curtain. The apparatchiks were a literal aristocracy lording over us all and we still see the effects of 2 generations of imposed class fracturing(it's funny how a supposed classless society ended up being very much class-based).

I don't hate nigs as a principle, just how I don't like whites as a principle. Since I don't claim responsibility for the shit Cletus or Ivan does I don't expect Joe Blackman to claim for Damarcus and Daqwan

Black people were far better behaved and organized back then. They didn't romanticize crime and demonize education.

Racism is not a factor that holds blacks back as a group anymore. In fact, it was the civil rights movement that unintentionally led to so many blacks being worse off today than in the 60's.

Smart, ambitious blacks could now integrate into mainstream, white America. So black communities effectively lost their best and brightest. All their best leaders went on to be successful. The ones that remained were too inept or too bitter to maintain their communities.

So now we have 70% percent of blacks being born out of wedlock, which happens to be the NUMBER ONE predictor of poverty, by the way.

Past injustices aren't holding blacks back anymore. It's past successes that have done it.

So is Airplane!. Go find a movie called "Zero Hour!". It's the movie that Airplane is a straight-up spoof of, and it's really not that good. But holy fuck is it funny to hear most of the lines from Airplane delivered completely straight-faced.