Lovecraftian movies

We have a thread every other week about how you can't present Lovecraftian horror in a visual medium. I think this one and Prince of Darkness by John Carpenter do it pretty well, any others?

The evil dead franchise is basically a middle finger to both core Lovecraftian literature AND Derleth-tier mythos literature.

Just talking about Evil Dead 2 here, but the presentation of the story is a lot like how he and his more talented imitators did prose. There's almost no plot, and the story takes place in a short length of time, without leaving a single setting for very long. The horror element is isolated to a single, bluntly honest narrator who comes across as crazy even in the beginning of the story. Everything supernatural about what he tells you makes you feel like he's crazy. Outside of his reaction to these supernatural events the character is not given any personality or backstory. It's made to feel pulpy and shallow to force its audience to take what happens at face value and feel more disturbed as a result. Raimi got this "corny but memorable" effect through physical humor just as Lovecraft got it through science fiction, which was the equivalent at the time.

The whole point of this kind of horror is that it hides troubling psychological questions behind comic book-level melodrama. Read In the Mouth of Madness before you watch Evil Dead again. They are almost identical stories.

also zombie movies like this look like that dream sequence vcr tape from prince of darkness, if you catch my drift

Honeymoon 2014
Grabbers 2012
John Dies at the End 2012
Dagon 2001
Jug Face 2013
Mr. Jones 2013
Oculus 2013
Pontypool 2008
Re-Animator 1985
The Shrine 2010
The Resurrected 1991
La mansión de los Cthulhu 1991

How would you define the word "Lovecraftian" for someone who's not familiar with Lovecraft's works?

Hellboy, Pacific rim, a lot of Del toro's work references Lovecraft in some way or another

how is john dies lovecrafty?

Messiah of Evil

"surreal but identifiable"

Existential dread of occult forces you can't comprehend?

Evil Dead is shares literally nothing with Lovecraft apart from some basic surface-level elements. An evil spirit fucking with some guy in the woods has nothing to do with cosmic horror whatsoever.

Underrated movie.

The book is explicitly more Lovecrafty
>Opening riddle
>Everything about the Soy Sauce (again the book sells it far better than the movie)
>Korrok

I hope this is bait.

Yellowbrickroad

Marebito(2004)

same director as Grudge,pretty surreal film

Banshee Chapter. It is actually based on a Lovecraft story.

>We will never get a decent adaptation of the Colour Out Of Space.

Bad feels man

One of my faves

Would the Phantasm movies fit in? They're about an inter-dimensional mortician robbing graveyards to build an army, so he can take over different worlds.

>An evil spirit fucking with some guy in the woods has nothing to do with cosmic horror whatsoever.
Read a book senpai

>Read a book
Fuck that, that's what caused all the trouble in Evil Dead in the first place.

Is lovecraftian horror the most overrated horror?
>Dude, this thing is so terrifying, you can't even comprehend it dude.
>Dude, no, dude, don't even try to understand what you're seeing dude. It's too nuts.
>Dude, I'm literally losing my mind dude. I'm fucking dying over here, dude.

We've become too nihilistic to find Lovecraft frightening. He was still writing in an era when most of society believed that man was a divine being created in God's image to rule over the earth so the idea that we're nothing but gnats in the grand scheme of things was revolutionary.

I don't really think you are capable of enjoying horror.

Look, the thing is you CAN put a lot of Lovecraft stories to screen, but it's going to be very difficult to get it right because of how vague he is. Sometimes it'll be completely impossible, but I think most films could be adapted in some way. I think as long as the films follow the Lovecraft "don't show them the monster" rule it'll be fine.
Evils Dead is not lovecraftian at all in its presentation.

>lovecraftian
wtf does that even mean, is it named after hp lovecraft?

>dude, this thing that I can't comprehend looks like a squid had sex with a bicycle
>dude, I die now cos I cannot comprehend it I have gone crazy to dead

You can do Lovecraft pretty well as B-movies or tongue in cheek horror films. Straight adaptations (like Re-animator, From Beyond, Dagon, and The Resurrected) are actually pretty good. The best ones though are the loose adaptations, mainly John Carpenter films. The Thing, Prince of Darkness, and In the Mouth of Madness are the best Lovecraftian horror films ever made.

Have you actually ever read Lovecraft?

There's nothing lovecraftian in the Evil Dead movies

Yeah, Phantasm uses a lot of Lovecraftian elements (dream-logic, amoral inter dimensional beings). The Beyond is another great Lovecraft film.

Also, has anyone noticed the similarities between Lovecraft's "The Picture in the House" and The Texas Chainsaw Massacre? Had I not read the story first, I would've thought TCM was a completely original idea.

>bruh are you seeing this
>its literally like a fucking squid beard man
>haha look at his fucking beard bruh

yes i listened to the complete lovecraft discography on a warped cassette tape played through a gramophone

>i die now for i cannot comprehend squid beard
>aaah i die of horror

pleb definition: anything with tentacled monsters, books with forbidden knowledge, undead people

actually lovecraftian: cosmic pessimism. the notion that everything we regard important as humans (our culture, our morals and values, our philosophies and art, etc) is ultimately meaningless. the earth could explode tonight and the universe would not care, or even notice, let alone mourn us

It's okay if you recite the 3 words before you read it.

No True Detective?

not film but bloodborne has great psych horror aesthetics

We should watch these movies together.

No but see you missed it when Tumblrtards were going to usurp Lovecraft lore and make it about HOPE and TRANSSEXUAL SPACEMEN

Has all the ingredients but none of the presentation. still a great show.

Stuart Gordon is to Lovecraft what Darabont is to Stephen King.

Re-Animator, Dagon, From Beyond, Castle Freak

John Carpenter's Apocalypse movies are also great.

Only from pleb perspective. Aside from few cosmetic details, the story is completely unlovercraftian. There is no horrific revelation about reality, no pessimistic conclusion about cosmic indifference. Even the evil in the story ultimately comes not from some otherworldly source but from an ordinary human.

>actually lovecraftian: cosmic pessimism. the notion that everything we regard important as humans (our culture, our morals and values, our philosophies and art, etc) is ultimately meaningless. the earth could explode tonight and the universe would not care, or even notice, let alone mourn us

this

That's Shaverist not Lovecraftian.

Do
you
read
Sutter
Cane?

Saw this recently, not sure how known it is

Yes

>In the Mouth of Madness
>read

Sorry, I don't like Shutter Kane.

I'm waiting for a director's cut, I know that there is a version of it, they just need to release it.

>5kb
He'll never make it to Montana for ants.

Stephen King's IT, the shapeshifting drider at the end was scary back in the day.

When u nut but she keep suckin

This

Not Cred Forums, but Bloodborne is the most Lovecraftian experience I've had in any media in recent memory.

Maybe that's the true pessism, and the real fear of being unable to blame man's faults on an outside force.
But you're still right, that's not Cosmic Horror in the slightest. Just plain old metapsychological.

Definitely not the same person

Noone was acknowledging him, so why bother now?

Anyway, do you guys think the black and white Call of Cthulhu movie from 2005 is good? The only thing that really left an impact for me was the non-euclidean geometry suddenly swallowing up one of the sailors at the end.

only aside the overwhelming sense of dread, underlying atmosphere of something fucked up and the FUCKING LOVECRAFTIAN CULT

Some great suggestions already. Only thing I'd add is Event Horizon.

It's both Lovecraftian and an unofficial WH40K prequel.

i liked the legrasse and the bayou part, thought that was well done

That's just atmosphere. As I said, cosmetic stuff. The actual theme and philosophy of the show is completely different though, you dumb pleb.

read moar :o)

not an argument

I never even noticed that he's wearing glasses before

niggers, kek

Sqwidward

HAHAHAHAHAHA

He really, really hated niggers, didn't he?

In The Mouth of Madness and Possession are the most Lovecraftian movies in my opinion, i.e. they convey the tone, themes, and pace of action in a similar way. Both star Sam Neill strangely. The director of Possesion Andrzej Żuławski, sold his film saying to the producers, "It's a movie about a woman fucking a squid." The movie feels insane because the director was going through a horrible divorce at the time, and all of his paranoia, jealousy, and delusion is on the screen. If you haven't seen it and are on the fence, I just have to highly recommend it, it's a vision of sexual jealousy that achieves levels similar to Lovecraft and Proust.

Yes, exactly.

not necessarily lovecraft but it seems like it could be, it's essentially peter weller fighting a giant rat and he does lose his shit a bit.

He didn't really hate them, he just thought they were barely above animals.

Agreed, the movie is a nice quirky piece of low budget keno to me with a great paul giamatti performance.

The book is so much better and funnier, the second one is good but gets up its own ass too much about certain zombie tropes but still good.

The second one has a great chapter involving John stopping time.

quick info for people who are searching for anything Lovecraft related.
THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH LOVECRAFT, DON'T FALL FOR IT. (comfy movie though)

He must do if he went out of his way to call that Cat "Nigger-man."

Re-Animator is a masterpiece, you dumb son of a bitch. Jeffrey Combs is based.