Blair Witch

Thoughts?

Thought the buildup was just mediocre but the climax redeemed the film. The approach is very different from the original in many subtle ways but as a horror film in general it was good

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=NqugKE8QZH8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I wish I could have given a shit about the characters.

The camera may have given me a concussion it shook so uch

Oh don't be a pussy.

Here is what I typed up yesterday about it

This movie had a few moments where it was FUCKING BRILLIANT, but it was surrounded by putrid garbage

Great:
>You are completely fucking powerless if the Blair Witch wants you dead. Its GG NO RE. Even if you do what your "supposed" to do it finds a way to trick you
>The actual witch looked great (Made of briars and shit crossed with a anorexic The Rake)
>Didn't show the witch other than a few very brief scenes
>The time dilation stuff (Where the Youtube creeps experienced 5 days while the mains only experienced one) and the never ending night stuff was awesome

Good:
>Tunnel scene was truly scary
>Some of the acting was ok
>Had a feeling of desolation like you would if you were lost in the woods

Bad
>Worst shakycam bullshit yet
>Different camera qualities made the movie look fucking dumb, and so many shots had a studio feel
>Storylines that went no where
>Throws a 10/10 setup for a movie (Scary shit innawoods with eternal night) out. Somehow filmmakers in 1999 were more steady that in 2016

Horrible:
>The most retarded jumpscares ever (There are at least 5 jump scares that are just people running into each other)
>Seriously, this set a new low for retarded jump scares
>Retconning another set of murders into the legend for no real payoff
>So fucking loud and obnoxious jesus fucking christ
>Some absolutely retarded shit and consistency errors (Like the black chick with that foot so infected and was shooting pus being able to sprint full speed in one scene, and then the next time it cuts to her (Seconds from when she was sprinting) she is limping so heavily she barely moves)
>Having multiple cameras on each character for no reason other than getting dramatic shots and incredibly shaky scenes

2/10 its the worst kind of bad. There are enough glimpses of a good horror movie to make you really angry at what you get

>Released more than 24 hrs ago
>Still no pic of the witch

What's the problem?

This was better than Cannibal Holocaust - the new pinnacle of found footage kino

You see her for like 15s total all film

JUST

I thought that gril was qtier than emo chick

So its ayyyyliens?

3rd act was pretty intense, too many jump scares desu.. sound design overall was great.

i was so close to watching this movie just to see the creature. thankyou kind user, you have fulfilled my curiousity.
now if only we could get more pics /webms.
if you see this movie, MAKE SOME WEBMS AND UPLOAD THEM!

thankyou ;)

thats not how a witch would look like
they should have made it like this youtube.com/watch?v=NqugKE8QZH8
im dissapointed

Yeah the 3rd act is what made the movie really good whilst the build up felt too rushed

Her arms appear stretched because in the 1700s when they killed the witch, she was strung up by a tree left to die

Were the legends of the witch and the serial killer tied so closely together in the first one? I remember them being separate things

I was a bit disappointed by how "movie-y" the movie was. It wasn't as genuine than the original. Clearly produced just like an average film.

gimme a camrip Cred Forums

why is all alien footage blurry etc etc etc

>why is all alien footage blurry etc etc etc
cause it is not real

man this really makes me sad. Blair Witch is such an iconic movie and now this is part of that legacy.

I'll probably still watch it because I'm gay for found footage.

anyone have link

Nah watch it.

I saw it with my friend who rarely watches horror movies and he got scared shitless in the 3rd act.

But if you so used to horror movies and found footage then it may not be that scary but it still had a lot of chilling scenes.

I agree with most of the points you make but feel that the good outweighs the bad with this one. It's an extremely solid modern horror flick in its scariness, grossness and the story itself is pretty good. Unfortunately it is just that, a modern horror flick, and not much more. But I wasn't expecting the ingenuity of the original to happen again. Lightning doesn't strike twice etc.

I was also a big fan of how particular shots from the original were imitated and repurposed in this. My favorite part is when there's a close-up of Lisa's face and she's all freaking out like Heather in the original, but the guy puts his hand on her cheek and calms her down. Sort of emotionally repurposing the same moment from the original (even though the characters were still shit).

The jump scares were pathetically bad - loud noise as a missing character comes into the scene "surprisingly." Cringed every time but enjoyed everything else about the movie.

Girl with the colored hair was qt.

7/10 imo. would recommend to genre fans but nowhere near as essential as the original (which is a 10/10 for me)

100%

What you're implying is that sequels can reduce the value of their predecessors. I agree, but I really didn't feel that way about this one. I don't know how to describe it but I think at its core it didn't change what the roll or intentions of the witch are, thus it doesn't change your perception of the original film.

The witch is an ominous (mostly) invisible presence that tampers with the world around its victims this is how it was in TBWP and more or less how it is in TBW.

I think, if anything, actually seeing what must be assumed to be the witch, with her spindly arms and shrieking screams made her seem less intelligent and more feral which contradicts the sense I got from TBWP. In that her presence seemed to be intelligent, like she was doing incredibly subtle things to influence the kids like making them scared so they do stupid things and thus are more open to falling into her trap and then she'd do other things like set up the piles of rocks that had some effect on her ability to attack the kids. Ie: if kid x, y, or z knocks over or fiddles with their corresponding rock pile, then that kid is now marked or more able to be taken in their sleep etc (magic works in strange ways does it not?)

sorry my head cannon is leaking. Tldr, I don't think The Blair Witch tampers enough with the lore as to fuck up the viewing experience of re watching The Blair Witch Project.

I feel it affected the lore quite a bit imo, not mechanically but how you perceive the lore

Simply by recycling elements from the original film, Blair Witch removes uncertainty from the horror. Twig figures, the house, people staring at corners. They used to be simply things that happened in TBWP but now they're just the method that the Witch uses to fuck with her victims. Now it's her M.O. They're starting to turn the Witch into a brand. Blair Witch doesn't really do new or interesting things

I was really harsh on it yesterday, but I'm just really personally disappointed by it. I love the original.

It's not terrible, just mediocre. Maybe it's decent or good if you frame it as a "modern horror movie" like says, but that doesn't really work as a personal qualifier. I was so bummed out by this.

That looks awful