how the fuck was this made in 1968? it looks better than Interstellar
truly the greatest film of all time, 2nd best isn't even close

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=oU4Rk0NATNs
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

he spared no expense

you should probably see more movies

Nasa funded it :^)))))))))

fair enough, tell me a better film and I'll watch it right now if I haven't already

He spent the entire's movie budget before they even started filming. Spent it all on CGI. Studios were pissed but when they saw the footage they decided to fund him.

What did you mean by this?

worth it

>1939
>CGI

Woman in the Dunes

a-are you seeing it in 70mm

As far as "Best Movie of all Time" goes it would be top 5 but not the number 1 (I'd say 5 or 4th)

Been wanting to watch this for the longest time. Now that i finally have it the only holding me back is when it was made and im worried i might not get into the visuals of something so old

seen it, 2001 is better imo

CGI???

wheeeeere?

I did last weekend ;)

no worries there buddy

It's pretty good, but Dark Star is better.

I'm literally in a theatre seeing right now, it's the intermission

Very poor thread

If anything's gonna get in the way of you enjoying the movie, it's probably not the visuals.

pic?

Cinerama in Seattle? It was an excellent way to see the movie. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

Watch Cranes are Flying, u plen

you're on Cred Forums, this is the best you're gonna get, be glad an actual film is being discussed

why?

ok, is it better than the ones I've already watch?

Maryland

Maybe you should watch it yourself and then form an opinion

obviously, I just wanted to know your opinion

The Cinerama is rad

based Lucas

About to watch this.
Is it good?

it's not even in the same league, what the hell is he talking about

Dykstraflex m8

I enjoyed it, kinda comfy but it's not a masterpiece or anything

What subreddit?

Not him but to compare it to the other films on that chart is quite stupid because they're all different kind of movies having very little in common
But the closest to it I guess would be La Haine - technically flashy with a good story that keeps your interest up
I didn't find anything particularly "deep" about it (or maybe I didn't read into it that much) but it's very well made and its subject matter I think contributed to it legacy

Fucking plebs, Kin Dza Dza is the obviously superior science fiction film.

The only ones that come close are Andrei rublev, Satantango, 8 1/2, Au hasard balthazar, L'Avventura and Ordet

Not him, and La haine is great, but it's nowhere close to 2001 no matter how you look at it

>Not him, and La haine is great, but it's nowhere close to 2001 no matter how you look at it
Maybe you should read the entire reply chain before butting in, fucktard

ok you need to calm the fuck down buddy, back the fuck off??

>Au hasard balthazar

God I hate the following this fucking 3/4 film has. It's the emperor's new clothes syndrome.

I will fuck you up, you paranoid negroid

wtf i hate Au hasard balthazar now

*unzips katana*
just walk away kid, i'm a merciful assassin

Vague religious symbolism, a brooding tone, and competent cinematography do not make a masterpiece. Bresson is ridiculously overrated.

>Bresson is ridiculously overrated.
lol someone doesn't like hands

That film means more to me than it does to you, is that all you took from it?

It's as much as I care to write on the it, what do you see in the film?

that nasa was impressed by how kubrick did dr strangelove without the government's help and hired him to fake the moon landing , thus using the spare props to film 2001 to not arouse suspicion.
also the shining is an apology from kubrick to his wife for faking the moon landing

I want this a poster

Then get it printed, dummy

I think it's an extremely beautiful and sad look at human suffering and how we treat each other trying to get by. Some say the donkey is an allegory for christianism but that's just one way to look at it, it's a film with a very universal subject

It lacks profundity in its vagueness.

But that's what makes it so encompassing, Bresson is very lowkey, i can see why you don't like him

My printer only takes A4 sized paper, wat do

Works of art that attempt to make specific, profound statements as opposed to just depicting human experience are almost always either childish or pretentious.

holy shit

*tips generalization*

coincidentally I watched the sequel last night actually. hadn't even been thinking about 2001, was just looking for a sci-fi film to watch.

If you haven't seen it, don't bother. It's absolute gash. I had read reviews that went along the lines of "yeah it's unfair to compare it to 2001, but it's still a good sci-fi movie"

nah m8 it was fucking pish

just order it online bro

A work doesn't have to have a focused intention to be profound (Sans Soleil), Au Hasard Balthazar is just thoughtless and vague. It's such a mundane and drab premise, the film has very little to say.

>tfw you can't reconcile with the fact that the greatest film of all time was directed by a jew

Your forgetting that his payment for services were the lenses he used to shoot barry L Y N D O N.

Quintessential reddit post, brava OP! Brava!

Jews have a higher IQ than whites, they are the true master race. Might makes right, goy.

missed this post

see this

Why do you talk like Sean Connery?

this cover is fucking awful
i hate everything about it

>the film has very little to say.

Putting aside Balthazar for a second, why should film have something to "say"? Good music doesn't need to say anything to be good, even though it can do that too. Why does film?

Here are the films that I'd say are on par with 2001.

Andrei Rublev
The Mirror
Persona
Winter Light
La Dolce Vita
The Passion of Joan of Arc
Sprited Away
Grave of the Fireflies
The Tale of the Princess Kaguya
Come and See
Man With A Movie Camera
Battleship Potemkin
Au Hasard Balthazar
Eyes Wide Shut
The Shining
Raging Bull
Citizen Kane
F for Fake

>this walking down the ramp POV shot

absolute god tier kino tension

youtube.com/watch?v=oU4Rk0NATNs

>I'm 19 and recently got into cinema starter pack

Decent list but take the shining outta there ffs

So Jews aren't white?
Can't have it both ways, Herschel.

>mfw I realized that the monolith let out a giant REEEEEEEEEEE when the sunlight hit
FUCKING HUMANS GET THE FUCK OFF YOUR PLANET

pleb
that's the best poster in this thread

this
The Shining is low tier Kubrick

Actors are getting interviewed now

Which ones? I think that's Keir Dullea on the right?
Also where is this happening?

Both the main actors
Silver Spring, MD

Fuck is this at the AFI Center?
I live in NoVA so I could've gone had I known about this.

This is such a faggy checklist.

AFI Silver

Yeah, I've always wanted to go there for the times they play old movies and limited releases but SS is such a long drive from Burke
Also not much parking facilities there I believe
Could use the Metro but fuck SafeTrack

I thought he just used really large models so that they looked good.

Been seriously watching films for like 5-6 years now.

Also great retort.

The Shining is literally flawless.

>The Shining is literally flawless.

It fails at scaring the viewer. It fails as a movie.

this, this and this.
I always told my friends how this movie aged so well, other sci-fi movies looks shity when a few years pass

holy shit how have you not seen Joan of Arc, 8.5, Rome Open City, The 400 Blow or Tokyo Story, they're like textbook shit man.

He also insisted on all effects being done without any blue/greenscreens (i.e. WYSIWYG) so that no detail was lost in the optical printing process

honestly crank 2 is better

>WYSIWYG
?

>it fails at scaring the viewer

Fear is subjective, so if it didn't personally scare you then its not the films fault.

Not enough lightsabers.

What you see is what you get
So the Discovery model was shot using motion controlled cameras against an actual background with careful lighting and sometimes multiple exposures, not in front of a blue/greenscreen with the background or other elements shot separately and then spliced together in an optical printer

Op you a re a huge pleb, kill yourself

one thing I didnt understand about this movie:
as we know, the monoliths are activated when eclipse happens (earth, moon and sun for the first two, jupiter moons for the second).
How comes the jupiter moons hit the ecpilse just as Dave arrived there?
Did humans figure that out and send the spaceship on purpose so that it would arrive at jupiter moon eclipse?

They activate when intelligent life is detected. It was a message from TMA-1 that sent them to that monolith (orbiting Jupiter).

That monolith was activated when Dave got to it, as did TMA-1 when the astronauts found it on the moon, as did the first one that the apes encountered.

but the movie goes out of the way to show us that the moons of jupiter are in eclipse as the monolith actiavtes.
Same is true for the moon monoliths, humans have discovered it some time ago, but it only activates when sun and moon are at eclipse

>Being this much of a faggot

You failed as a person.

Not even worth validating a point when it'll just be lost in the aether.

Read the TL;DR of the rest of the books

Holy shit things get weird

Perhaps but really every time, people were there to see it happen.

The first monolith triggered the apes' minds, making them capable of higher intelligence.

The second warned the other aliens that the intelligent race had evolved and had found said monolith, and sent a signal to the one near Jupiter orbit so that the humans would go there.

The third warped Dave through space, and ultimately transformed him, presumably to show him the power they had and that he had to advocate for the humans and help them to evolve to the next step.

>une chien andalou

Dadaism, surrealism... Birthers of degeneracy.

>how the fuck was this made in 1968? it looks better than Interstellar

Forbidden Planet was made in 1956 and still looks great. If you really devote the time & energy to making things look good, they'll hold up to the test of time.

Close but actually NASA just associated with and gave money to Kubrick to start a fake "fake moon landing" story. It was decided it was better to create an aura of impossibility around the moon landings and to feed skeptic bullshit in order to keep US capabilities as much in the dark as possible. The truth is that 26 moon landings were all technical successes although they failed in their mission of installing working IPBMs on the moon.

Anyone know how to see this movie? i can't find it online or in theaters. It was released a coupe days ago apparently. its a fake documentary about faking the moon landing...

It's not online yet and only showing at select theatres I think. I caught it at a film festival about a month ago. It's pretty good

>but the movie goes out of the way to show us that the moons of jupiter are in eclipse as the monolith actiavtes.
I think you mean alignment, not eclipse
No eclipse is shown in the movie
All the alignments looming over the monolith are just symbolism to show that something cosmic is about to occur
In fact the alignment over the Jupiter monolith can never happen in real life

>>The Shining is literally flawless.

As always, the book is better. Love Kubrick, but he didnĀ“t understand the story at all

I wish there were a wormhole connecting my anus directly to your nose

Isn't that kind of a subjective deal?

If not, what are your thoughts on this vs something like Lawrence of Arabia, or Tree of Life.

I saw it for the first time recently (in glorious 70mm no less) and I loved it but don't you think there are still some flaws, like how HAL didn't even need to read their lips to see that Dave and Frank weren't doing anything to fix the POD, or the extremely slow pacing for an otherwise pretty straightforward movie plotwise and characterwise. Or the strangely on the nose timing of Dave shutting down HAL just as they got within Jupiter's range.

>how HAL didn't even need to read their lips to see that Dave and Frank weren't doing anything to fix the POD
He's a computer, he wouldn't have guessed anything suspicious if he hadn't read their lips