Has there ever been a sci-fi film on point?

Has there ever been a sci-fi film on point?

Blade Runner thought we would have replicants in 2019

Back to the Future had hoverboards in 2015

Did anyone NOT fuck up?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorola_StarTAChttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorola_StarTAC
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pilot_1000
youtube.com/watch?v=w_UtRsuIA-Y
youtube.com/watch?v=dOHLplarKsA
i.4cdn.org/wsg/1473138920521.webm
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>Blade Runner thought we would have replicants in 2019
It's not 2019 yet.

Children of Men.

yeah man just give it time, it will totally happen

Pretty much

>filename

Pretty accurate.

Also remembering clenching my butthole throughout that entire movie in theaters. Super intense.

>you can literally roll it as documentary at this point

not to mention all the race mixing they predicted haha

"On point" sci-fi is impossible to make because it wouldn't be relatable and interesting. They reason these movies were placed in a not-so-distant future is so they can still have understandable social structures, fashion and architecture to balance out all the wacky futuristic ideas. If you just slap something like "The Year is 50000 of Our Lord Cyber Jesus", instead of too-advanced problem you'd be facing too many things feeling too old-fashioned

this

dragon ball did many of those things before

Her seemed pretty on point, though I guess it didn't technically give a date, but I liked how 'just enough' into the future it was that it feels like we could get there in the next handful of years

Speaking of which, Idiocracy is on route to becoming the GOAT prediction sci fi

Idiocracy is the most accurate scifi ever.

>Did anyone NOT fuck up?
Robocop. Verhoven is clairvoyant.

>1973
More like 2005.

Looking at the state of Siri and Cortana, I'd say it's not gonna happen in the next couple of years though.

>Did anyone NOT fuck up?
>Sci-fi is supposed to accurately predict the future
oh rly

I think this is coming along.
the emphasis on pleasure and the material
the apathy
break down of family values
sexualisation

well I expect there to be a backlash before we go all the way

According to the movie most of the main character replicants were made 2016.

Demolition Man is probably the most prescient scifi action film ever made

*tip*

obligatory

>Huxley's view

>Eugenics: Alpha / Beta / Delta castes
>Alpha genes rule the world.

That's very nazi thinking. Not going to happen.

thats the unrealistic part, the Eugenics. desu

There's moment in this film that is really weird.
The first time the main character meets Julian Moore's character, she says "it's me Theo, it's Julian." and we then jump to this cut (pic related) where "MOORE" is spelled out in large letters on the wall behind him. Was it intentional by the producers?

>Unrealistic part
>Alphas are the most attractive, tall and capable of individual thinking
>Betas are also capable of individual thinking but lack Alpha's capacity.
>Rest of the castes are mass produced in laboratories.

Thats a pretty stupid comic considering how much of those things orwell was worried about are coming relatively true as well.

I can see us willingly turn ourselves in a brave new world scenario but re-engineering the human race seems something too out there.

i'm thinking about the proles of 1984

Probably WALL-E.

>re-engineering the human race seems something too out there.
It doesn't happen at once, its a slippery slope. First you start out weeding out deadly genetic defects, and then its not long before you're fixing the markers for premature baldness or nearsightedness, then you're giving people improved abilities. All the while the people who can't afford it get farther behind until the only people not born out of test tubes are in reservations and of no consequence to society at large.

Hypothetically speaking, it's been a while, but I don't think the book spends any time establishing how things got the way they were. Kind of irrelevant to the story.

Escape From LA seems pretty accurate.

>>
> children encouraged to engage in sexplay with each other

can't see them filming that

>his parents didn't let him play centrifugal bumblepuppy

>flip-phone
>1973

How hard are you vaping right now.

People in the days of yesteryear were so optimistic, technology seemed limitless with breakthroughs around every corner and the very stars within our grasp.

... but we do have hoverboards.
Black people ride them everywhere.

They're literally making a Hillary Clinton replicant right now.
>four-year lifespan
Coincidentally the length of a US presidential term.

What's the movie that did GPS map right before, or even after its popular?

Yeah that movie is really underrated sometimes. It looks cool and everything in it looks interesting.

miami has a baseball team

2001: A Space Odyssey predicted the E-Reader (like the Kindle, not the Game Boy Advance accessory)

>via 9gag

>the Game Boy Advance accessory
I still feel the buyer's remorse from that.

The left are nazis you ignorant shitbag. They're selectively breeding with dark skinned men and genetically altering their children from birth to be good little sycophantic feminists.

>tfw realizing that hatred is the last real, visceral thing left in the world

both are wrong and Fahrenheit 451 is the only good one since it's about people censoring themselves to try to come up with a black and white villain which is what both of the other books are ironically doing.

2001 ipads and widescreen tv

not even blacks are as dumb as the people in idiocracy.

1996 with the Motorola StarTAC

1996 is too early for the Star-TAC.

More like 2001-2002

Well one is a communist dystopia, one is a capitalist, I say we are quite in between.

Idiocracy predicted the present.

Nope. I'm wrong. You're right.

2001-2002 was when I had one.

i really liked Looper's prediction of the future as it was very much grounded in reality

the movie is set in the year 2044 and there are only minor things like the watering drone at the farm or the aftermarket electric motors for cars.

Moustaches are indeed becoming a bit of a trend again.

>mustaches
>ever going out of style
A bunch of slack jawed faggots

No worries - Admitting your wrong and correcting yourself is rare online :)

Meanwhile the inventor of the cell phone got the idea from Star Trek TOS and the inventor of the tablet got the idea from Star Trek TNG.

It's a highly condensed sub-precis of Postman's pretty darn insightful work

Sea shells. I wonder how I could ever have relied on toilet paper.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorola_StarTAChttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorola_StarTAC
>release date 1996

Yeah I had to look it up, because when I got mine it was the first I ever heard of them. For 96 that was pretty cutting-edge.

That is what I was saying.

The other user said it was 2000-2001, then corrected himself

>natural evolutions of phones and laptops

Yeah, they can say they got the idea from Star Trek but it was just something that was always going to happen at some point. That's not a prediction, just inevitability once the technology caught up.

Yea, I recall back then I really wanted this

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pilot_1000

Now seems so low tech

Do you really think Back to the Future 2 was trying to accurately anticipate the future?

Arma 3 has been very on point.
They did extensive research though so it only makes sense.

They got the new Star Wars film right didn't they?

youtube.com/watch?v=w_UtRsuIA-Y
wkuk did it better

Wall-e is looking pretty accurate in maybe another few decades. Maybe minus the space ships, just fat lazy people with screens in front of them 24/7 as the world turns to literal garbage

I think Demolition Man nailed 1996

youtube.com/watch?v=dOHLplarKsA

The book BR was adapted from was written in the late 60s.

You can't really blame people back then for crazy fantasies of the future. Those fuckers were all about flying cars by the year 2000. The new millennium was full of hope and wonder.

It's not 2017 yet

Neither author was/is prophetic. The things they wrote about can easily be connected to events and things going on in their time. It's something you'd find out if anyone bothered to read about them past 11th grade english class.

The pseudo-intellectual faggots who constantly go "dude it's like 1984!!!!" are just as bad as the Idiocracy faggots who have to bring it up anytime politics is mentioned. It's not accurate, it's lazy and not insightful.

or is it

This isn't so much Star Trek predicting the future as it is inspiring the future.

Back to the Future predicted flat scren TV, wireless videogames, tablets, fingerprint recognition, wearable technology, video conferencing.

The hover is indeed exist and working, but shitty

Most scifi completely failed to predict the Internet. Im sure most contemporary sci-fi will completely fail to predict w/e the hot new shit is in 2040 and laugh at it.

This. The writers for the show didn't have a crystal ball, it was just that young impressionable kids watched it and said "wow, a portable phone you can flip open and closed, huh? I want one." and then they went and got degrees in engineering and made them.

By far this

came here to say this

also probably my favorite move

MGS2 predicted so many things accurately.

Was reading this thread for tv and film responses, why are you posting about video games

>Also 2001: A Space Odyssey
>No Moon stations
>Pan Am went bankrupt
>Bellsouth bought AT&T

It is difficult to predict the future, and most estimates are to premature.

In Kubrick's case he went on NASA's own timeline which changed after the Challenger accident.

pretty sure he wrote the timeline when he faked the moon landings, but otherwise that's accurate

It's a Kojima film.

>2015
>hoverboards are the shit
>arcades are outdated pieces of shit meant for babies
>nike shoes and blue jeans
>using slang terms like bojo

How did they predict the future so well?

Camacho was Obama though.
>hurr white guilt
>hurr race card
>hurr 95% of the black vote

Came here to post this.

Predicted Arnold's political career.
Jesse Ventura killed the fascist, anticipating his political career.
Wesley Snipes is jailed for sticking it to the government and asserting taxation is theft.

Self-driving cars, VR sex, weird shit at Taco Bell, and oh yeah fucking political correctness fucking everywhere.

I'm always baffled by how movies vastly overshoot their technology predictions with the dates they take place in. Though it's not a movie, Cyberpunk 2077 is going to have full on cyborgs and flying cars and shit, I doubt we'll be that far along in 50 years

*tips tinfoil*

Akira got the location of the 2020 Olympics right.

>the far future world of 1997 where people colonized Mars but are still using beta tapes
I fucken LOVE this cliché.

>the increased number of terrorist attacks
>the jump in political polarization
>the mess that is immigration
It was a warning, not a prophecy.

>MGS "games"
>not movies
They're vidyakino at least :^)

>Armageddon begins: Russia detonates nuclear bombs: Kazakhstan annihilated.
Not very plausible, is it.

i.4cdn.org/wsg/1473138920521.webm

V I D Y A K I N O

>this came out in 2001
whaaaaat the fuuuug

But you still have your internet. And Cred Forums

I TOLD YOU ALREADY

The hoverbikes were a bit much.

Don't forget Jeffrey Dahmer, who the villain praised getting out of cryogenic freeze but Jeffrey Dahmer had been killed in prison in 1994 during the film's release.

Didn't saw the movie.
Who the duck is Julian moore
Why the duck would anybody discover that tiny moore label

>who the duck is Julianne Moore
Get the fuck out.

user, you could just google these things not to look like a complete ass you know.