What's your opinion on CGI in movies?

What's your opinion on CGI in movies?
Where do you draw the line between what's acceptable and what's not?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=r2LpOUwca94
youtu.be/_glOzaQhn5w?t=122
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

unacceptable when it's not needed at all

When it's backgrounds and background characters, it's acceptable, provided the background is impossible to just shoot regularly. Making crowds larger digitally is fine too.
Making full characters CGI is only fine when they're either doing something impossible or moving so fast you can't see if it's real or not anyway. Monsters/impossible main characters can be cgi I GUESS but it'll probably look kinda shitty. Costumes are actually better, even if they look unrealistic. Doesn't take me out of the movie as much.

Basically what I'm saying is:
Gold standard: Titanic

Worst example: The Thing remake/prequel

about the same as any other type of special effect. It can be put to good use. It can be put to shit use. Anyone who thinks otherwise has literal autism.

Here's the real question: Which one would you fuck?

Well yeah, I'm pretty sure OP is asking 'what counts as shit use and good use'

Green and Pink at 0:14, obviously

When it's obviously actors just standing in front of a green screen.
I don't even mind bad CGI if it's in a movie with practical effects being used also.

>Making full characters CGI is only fine when they're doing something impossible
not if you can see their CGI face / if they have less-than-perfect animation.

other than that I generally agreed with everything you said.

>impossible main characters
you mean like Iron Man (w/ mask) and the Hulk?

>not if you can see their CGI face / if they have less-than-perfect animation.
Oh yeah, obviously. I meant more like a character flying around in a wide shot or something

>you mean like Iron Man (w/ mask) and the Hulk?
Yeah pretty much. Though more emphasis on the hulk. They did ACTUALLY MAKE the iron man costume, so I'm pretty damn sure it would have looked better using that a little more.

how much CGI was there in Titanic? I thought it was mostly just the exterior shots of the ship

No problem with any technique of FX if they don't dominate the story. Alot of morons think FX are allowed to dominate a movie as long as it's practical effects.

It was a huge number of things. The ship was a miniature in a lot of shots, with people cgi'd onto it to make it look like it was regular size.
There were a few CGI shots to show the ship breaking and having people fall when it became vertical.

The reason it's so good is BECAUSE it was basically impossible to go 'this scene is 100% created on a computer'. And it was made before Ang Lee's fucking Hulk movie

I would rather have practical effects dominate a movie than CGI tbqh ladderino. At least makes me think "How did they do that?'.

>When bucky vaults over the edge of the roof at the beginning
the CGI would look fine here if he were better animated, but the way it is here it just looks unreal.

I honestly would rather look at a puppet alien than a District 9 alien. Some CG that people think "looks amazing" looks so fucking ethereal and superimposed, and is just about as lame as weird puppets. It really depends though. Groot looks fantastic in GotoG, almost like a puppet with all the things that make CG superior in theory. But Rocket looks like shit, like I can tell he's being imposed frame by frame on the screen space.

I have faith that CG will someday look real, even for fantasy creatures with fur. The Lego movie completely looks like real solid legos.

Reminds me of the end of Tropic Thunder when Matthew McConaughey speeds into the jungle on foot.

yikes

LOTR had better wide shot CG doubles than that.

>bucky jumping down into the street as if he only jumped 1 feet

You should use it for things you can't do on your own. It's a tool like any other cinematic tool. It all depends on the implentation and isn't an inherently good/bad thing. Though I'm leaning on good because it's allowed directors to do some things they wouldn't have been able to do before.

>being strong means gravity has no effect on your body

Capeshit needs to die already.

Fuck, what is it about the cgi that looks so bad? And don't just say "the physics" or anything, I want detailed answers.

the jump down into the underpass at the end makes up for it. Reminds me of this scene from John Wick

It's intentionally filmed that way to show how a fall like that feels like nothing to him. Even if you hate the idea of it, it's definitely not bad effects.

does he have gravity defying powers or something? that makes no sense

he's got superhuman strength, speed and durability, and he's not particularly heavy. It doesn't feel like a very big drop to him

i love the video for this

youtube.com/watch?v=r2LpOUwca94

>strength
Yes
>speed
Yes
>durability
Sure
>not particularly heavy
Where did you get that idea from? He's easily 200 lbs with that metal arm.

he would still have momentum

Am I supposed to believe the atomic bonds that keep his skin and bones together are also strengthened to take massive Gs and impact from a fall like that?

I mean he has the strength of a ~1000lbs giant in the body of a 200lbs man. His muscles and bones absorbed his momentum.

What's so ridiculous about that? It's capeshit. I mean Cap grew like 3 feet in height from drinking the serum

I can't even really say. It just looks unnatural. He's propelled forward when he vaults - as if he jumped in the air - and it makes him look like he is sliding over the wall on his arm or something

maybe he just moves too fast compared to how he normally moves when it's not CGI

It's gotta be in the background. A scene should never be 100% CG

Im pretty sure they had him running in the air for this scene

A good 80% of that is practical, though.

nope, they had like 100 other power armor suits made so they could have the extras in the background wear them. Also they were filming on this huge sandy outdoor-set with green-screens set up all around it

see:
youtu.be/_glOzaQhn5w?t=122

there is still a lot of CGI on the screen at the same time though, and it's hard to discern what is CG and what is practical (which is a good thing)

it's effective, it make sit seem like the suit has more momentum, it adds weight to it.

I only care about the results.

If the results look stale or dry, then they failed, and some kind of other medium and/or practical effects might have served the goal better.

I think CGI can be fine, but there is a lack of quality control. I believe there should be a meritocracy where a select number of actual talents with actual inspired style rise to the top.

There is no excuse for uninspired, ungifted hacks being the ones with the responsibility of crafting our period's collective expressions. Not that it even works - most people can spot when something is tepid and uninspired. Even the most reddit-y dorks can kind of tell that most shit is stale as fuck.

No objectively definable measure.

If the artists are good, everything can be good.