Now that the dust has settled...was it a good movie?

Now that the dust has settled...was it a good movie?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=aiyQOumuSN4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

It fell apart after the Hector fight. There was no one to root for once Hector went down.

>not rooting for based Odyseus

I agree, but then again I was glad to see a movie that wasnt forced to have a happy ending, or an obvious good guys vs bad guys dynamic.

Odysseus's quote at the end was still a worthy note to end on

>Men rise and fall like the winter wheat, but these names will never die...

Best sword-and-shield sound effects in cinema. Other than that, nothing was remarkable.

Yeah, it achieved what it was trying to do and one of the few sword and sandal movies of the last 20 years.

Some cringey dialog, like when Ajax says lines from Precy Shelly's Ozymandias. Some hammy acting by Pitt, but over all enjoyable.

I also glad they didn't just make them Hellenic period hoplites, although I wouldn't say their armor was really historically accurate for the Mycenaeans, but its Hollywood.

>Eric Bana being a name big enough to be put on a poster
Whoa.

it's got low ratings on rotten tomatoes so no

so good. i keep watching the fight just hoping by some miracle that Hector wins.

The fighting was over-choreographed and not accurate enough for my tastes.

>no gods
Dropped

quite good

pitt was cocky and used the pitt persona well enough.

but i kinda wished it was more like 300. Pleb opinion yes, but I wanted violent muscled warrior frenzy bordering on homo shit - heroes and gods. It's fine to jerk yourself that you're doing high art, but its themes are pretty pedestrian and of basic human shit

I can't put my finger on if that fight was REALLY GOOD or REALLY BAD. I want to say it was one of the best choreographed fight scenes in a movie, but I don't know shit.

Yen get an epic Odyssey film staring Sean Bean

>I want to say it was one of the best choreographed fight scenes in a movie
it was

The fights were great. Otherwise it's a mediocre to decent movie for me.

Also perfectly aligned CGI ships and armies will AWAYS look like crap.

the 90's armand assante version of the Odyssey is decent from what I remember

Paris was a lil bitch

yup. I have no idea why Helen wanted him so much

How old was Helen originally?

>you will never have a gigantic, epic war over cunny

Doesn't it end with Achilles helping Hector's widow, son and some other nobles escape the Greek massacre that's going on inside Troy?

the fights were amazing and i loved the sound effects.
also pitt going HECTOOOOOOR was great.

had some shit dialogue and the whole religous ppl are dum message is kind of hamfisted despite it being about mythological characters

>Odysseus ends up dying at the climax when he and his son fight the suitors out of his house

I enjoyed it immensely: Great fight choreography + Sadfu

>Sadfu
why is she so much better looking now than 12 years ago?

Book has way better characters and is waaay darker. Movie just reminds me that hollywood just takes stories and fucks up with blandness. In the book achilles captures 12 trojans and sacrifices them on a funeral pyre for patroclus he was so enraged.

book for comparison:

>Then Hector said, as the life ebbed out of him, "I pray you by your life and knees, and by your parents, let not dogs devour me at the ships of the Achaeans, but accept the rich treasure of gold and bronze which my father and mother will offer you, and send my body home, that the Trojans and their wives may give me my dues of fire when I am dead."

Achilles glared at him and answered, "Dog, talk not to me neither of knees nor parents; would that I could be as sure of being able to cut your flesh into pieces and eat it raw, for the ill have done me, as I am that nothing shall save you from the dogs- it shall not be, though they bring ten or twenty-fold ransom and weigh it out for me on the spot, with promise of yet more hereafter. Though Priam son of Dardanus should bid them offer me your weight in gold, even so your mother shall never lay you out and make lament over the son she bore, but dogs and vultures shall eat you utterly up."

Anyone else appreciate that they didn't hide that the Greeks and Macedonians were drunkard, xenophobic faggots?

Age is finally catching up but her superb bone structure keeps her still afloat

that movie sucked

It's probably the best sword fight I've ever seen in a movie or show. It captured how (virtually) evenly matched they were and it didn't portray them as having superhuman capabilities, no artificial feeling spinning shit or slow motion, but my favorite aspect is that it showed how quickly fatigue can set in when guys are swinging wildly at each other.

Man, ancient warfare must have been extremely brutal. Modern war doesn't even compare, today you are dead within seconds

she still cute tho

That she is

Which is funny considering the Iliad is one of the places where the main characters strength is basically at capeshit levels.

Achilles is killing hundreds alone and even battles a river god. Diomedes is able to wound Aphrodite with Athena's permission. Everyone who is named has a long list of feats and exploits that I'm sure for ancient Greeks was something like modern comic superheroes are for us.

i dont know man white phosphorus seems pretty brutal to me

>today you are dead within seconds
not always, but I get what you mean. War then was messier though because virtually all killing was done up close and personal. Everyone would be drenched with blood at the end of a battle

anybody whos ever picked up a stick and dueled someone else knows how tired you get after a couple matches, dudes had to do that hours at a time. fuuuuck. i would not have survived long.

Yeah but those guys lived to fight

They also had to dash 500-1000m distances and walk a fuckton with that heavy armour. Surprisingly though,they didn't look very big.

true. its just crazy to think about how in shape you use to have to be in order to survive and make a living back then. people now are so lazy, myself included.

>greek mythology is literally capeshit
D R O P P E D
R
O
P
P
E
D

the guys flailed around needlessly at points and left huge open spots in their defence that would have ended the fight prematurely

that said, a real life duels are short and unimpressive so what we got was damn near close to perfection from a spectacle and a story telling standpoint. it's intense, the camerawork and sound effects add weight to every strike and the way the fight plays out makes perfect use of both characters' personalities

>I keep watching the fight just hoping by some miracle that Hector wins.

Me too user, me too....

Each time I watch it I keep thinking that somehow THIS time Hector will win

savage

So... how big was that guy for him?

HECTUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUR

Even when I was 15 I saw this trailer and just thought ctrl+c ctrl+v ctrl+v ctrl+v

youtube.com/watch?v=aiyQOumuSN4

>mfw Hector thought he'd beaten Achilles

The score on the Director's Cut is garbage.

Hector vs Achilles fight is GOAT. Two archtypes of masculinity going at it. Other than that it was okay.

THERE IS NO PACT BETWEEN CHADS AND REES

>trojan

Yes, story of my life

Did I (me) like it?