Why does Cred Forums hate this movie ?

Why does Cred Forums hate this movie ?

Because it's popular in our demographic and we're contrarians, duh.

Most casual posters were most likely too young to see it when it first came out. And since they missed the train, they pretend like they don't like it.

Was Durden his stand?

In a way yes. I wonder what his stats were like...

Baby's first meme movie.
That said, it's kino.

The majority of people love it, or loved it, for the wrong reasons. Its the Scarface effect. Most people who praise or idolize Scarface act as if the movie ends at the wedding scene. They all want to be like Tony Montana and forget about his downfall. With Fight Club everyone idolizes and wants to be Tyler Durden but forget about the third act where the narrator, and the film, criticizes Durden and project mayhem and emphasizes that this is not the solution.

The funny thing about fight club is that i always see people that complain about how overrated it is but i have never found someone that thought it was that good as people think other people think it is. Really makes you think

Kill yourselves.

Kids need to feel like they know better.
Since knowing better is a hard artuous process of seeing lots and lots of things and appreciating them they simply take the easy way out and develop a pseudo taste through exclusion and claiming to not like things.
And, as you know, this is inherently pretentious and idiotic.
You can tell how utterly ignorant someone is through their opinions on entry level movies.

This

>With Fight Club everyone idolizes and wants to be Tyler Durden but forget about the third act where the narrator, and the film, criticizes Durden and project mayhem and emphasizes that this is not the solution.

Third act doesn't criticize it. It just shows the protagonist in opposition to the plan. But, the plan still goes ahead and the end scene is they watch all the credit card company/bank buildings get blown up. They even make a point to say they've been emptied of all people, so they don't kill anyone in the process.

Tyler Durden is one of the greatest fighters against capitalism, so maybe that's why he's unpalatable to most people.

It may not explicitly criticize the movement but I would argue that it is the third act where the movie tries to say to the audience that project mayhem and fight club is not something that we should move towards or act on. It shows the ridiculousness and irony behind the movement.

The way I see Fight Club is that it is about the relationship between universals and particulars, drawing from a loose understanding of Hegel here. The anxiety that everyone feels in the movie comes from the recognition that they are merely particulars in a greater universal. They are a particular consumer, employee, member of society, white heterosexual male, etc... Upon this realization there is a very strong desire to figure out who they are away from these universal structures. Their solution is fight club and project mayhem, where they work to negate the universals and oppose them. Thinking that if they get rid of them then they are no longer controlled by them. This is where the irony of fight club happens. Negating the universal does not free one from the universal. If the universal is something like consumerism, then you simply become a particular non-consumer. You are still determined by the universal. The characters can never escape these structures because one is always already in some kind of universal structure, all they do is create a new structure of universals. They go from particular employees to particular space monkeys. They trade one kind of "enslavement" for another, one leader for another, one set of values for another. The third act is the narrator coming full circle. Once again he feels anxiety and alienation from project mayhem the same way he did about his life before it. He recognizes that this nihilistic negation is not the solution. The film criticizes both the typical wage slave life and the nihilistic project mayhem life as flawed and unable to provide the individual with what he seeks, not particularism but individualism.

>well made POPULAR movie

I wonder why

Because people who don't actually watch movies think it's a super deep masterpiece.

fight club is literally Cred Forums: the kino

Proves
Never be that guy that builds their opinion from others' or reception instead of their own appreciation, it's beyond pathetic and makes you look like a 16 year old.

>Because people who don't actually watch movies

Well said

Because the book is a fuckton better and doesn't have a retarded ending that makes people think Fight Club is some anti-capitalism piece of work

Even with the stupid ending, the fact that people actually think Fight Club is about capitalism genuinely baffles me

even the author of the book admits that the movie is miles better

I'd honestly disagree with them, even if they are the author

One of the few times I'd say a movie was genuinely better than the book would be Silence of the Lambs and LotR

Because it has a cult following and a good chunk of that is the type of person who's on Reddit. That's literally the only reason.

Yeah I suppose that's why in Project Mayhem:
>Everyone is stripped of their identity and not even allowed to ask questions
>They have uniforms, paperwork, routine, structure etc.

Much better than those pesky corporations they're bringign down!1!

I don't hate the movie i hate the pleb fans that don't get it and take all the wrong messages away from it.

Still want to see an adaptation of Survivor. Even more relevant today then when it was first written.

this is honestly the reason, kinda sad desu senpai.

>LotR

>walking walking walking
>2 weeks later
So glad they cut a tonne of shit.

I don't hate the movie, i despise those who misunderstand it.

i don't hate the movie but have noticed that it seems to attract a lot of praise by the pretentious "i'm so deep"/artsyfartsy type of people. it's quite entry-level and easy to follow, not that there's nothing bad with that.

there is an entire fight club themed bar in NYC called Durden. they're out there.

Even more pretentious than putting movies on an edgy pedestal, I'd say, is basing your opinion of a movie on it's fans.