Amadeus was released 32 years ago today

Amadeus was released 32 years ago today.

Let's have a discussion about this incredible film.

I was lucky enough to be able to watch in a theater recently. Was a pretty good experience.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=0xU-p9wmSqg
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

For me it was one of those movies which I consider a true masterpiece and almost a perfect movie. It surprisingly has great rewatch value for me and while it is a period piece there isn't that usual feeling of people just putting on movie costumes. Of course the music just can't be beat

Masterpiece, the sound design is fucking perfect, even the paper sounds right.

Are there any other films like Amadeus? As in ones about famous composers?

Is the Beethoven one with Gary Oldman any good?

Overall, my immortal beloved isnt as good as Amadeus, but reaches some of the same highs as Amadeus.

I think the movie has too many notes. Just cut a few and it'll be perfect.

Well

There it is

great film

DON'T TRUST HIM, HE KILLED MOZART!

I liked seeing him in Serpico. Fucking Salieri, once a scumbag, always a scumbag.

Moe Zart?

Mhm

Why did Salireri not fuck her? It's what he wanted, isn't it? And he's already denounced God prior to her coming to fuck him, so he didn't need to stay a virgin.

Don't forget Scarface

FUCKING Salieri

because he is a battyboi

What would that solve? He wanted to be a better musician than Mozart.

Mozart cucked him with the singing girl who he loved, so he fucks Constanze in revenge.

Play Bane.

So how long until the inevitable remake?

Fuck, I have to rewatch scarface now
SALIERI NO.
SALIERI YOU SCUMBAG.

Incredible and unique visuals, excellent themes, poor plotting and pacing, though still a great movie. Salieri should have been more clearly responsible for Mozart's death, a large part of the movie is Salieri making life more difficult for Mozart without it actually paying off, (time which should have been spent making Salieri's decent into madness better setup and more pronounced), there should have been more of a plot in the movie than Salieri planning to have Mozart write his own funeral mass which Salieri would take credit for, Mozart's death comes across as contrived.

Mozart did not have a strong character, and was just written as a fool who happened to be a genius. This is difficult to put into words, so I won't stress it.

Still, a very good movie, perhaps a great one, just not the materpiece everyone calls it

THAT PIECE OF SHIT HAD MY BROTHER KILLED

I NEVER LIKE HIM
I NEVER TRUSTED HIM

SALIERIIIIIIIII

>inb4 something related to immigration some how
>a play that takes place in Turkey? Outrageous
>no sire, the turks are a proud people with a rich history

No, but it is nice.

He just hangs around in that movie

>Play CIA

I think this movie suck balls. Inaccurate and that giggle is pretty annoying.

He didn't get cucked if he never told her he loved her. He was just too full of himself to truly love someone. I think he only "loved" her talent.

it is sad the image that left to Salieri...

The guy was a great composer

>FOR YOU

>Go on, mock me, crash my plane!... That was not Bane crashing my plane, it was Nolan! That was Nolan crashing my plane through that obscene mask... Go on big guy, crash, crash!

You know what absolutely angered me the most in this movie?

This fucking cocksucker and his knocking. Why does he have to knock so fucking loud? I always skip the scenes with his knocking because of how fucking rage inducing it is.

GOAT movie by based Czech dude

The Forman-Shaffer commentary is god tier, the sheer amount of work behind this movie is legendary.

Czechs are based all around

You're a fucking moron.

If God didn't want me to celebrate Him with music, why implant the desire... Like a LUST in my body... And then deny me the talent?
;_;

Why?

Oh that's charming. You say your wrote that?

I think the opera should be in German.

I didn't
That was Mozart
Wolfgang Peter Shaffer's Amadeus Director's Cut (1984, 161 minutes) Mozart

this, shitty movie

is this movie still good enough though it's not historically accurate?
music major here and it keeps putting me off

The sound design is so carefully crafted that what you hear is what you see, on every single instrument.
As a music major you should care about THAT and not historical inaccuracies.

Sorry that it was too subtle for you. Maybe they should have shown a reaction shot of salieri slipping arsenic into mozart's drinks.

Mozart's little coffin

Mozart is for plebs.
Patricians listen to Beethoven.

>The sound design is so carefully crafted that what you hear is what you see
Is that really so incredible? It doesn't mean much because just about nobody could pick this up, but isn't just as simple as playing the same music in the scene of the accompanying music?

What are you talking about?

Start with the grass. Van in first. Masketta in driver's seat.

If it is so easy why do so few movies give a fuck about it? You know how much work there is behind that? Having an actor perform what's sounding in both performance and orchestral direction?

it was to humiliate her. At least that's what i think. Salieri didnt want grills, he wanted immortality like mozart.

patricians listen to Bach, you pleb

>Having an actor perform what's sounding in both performance and orchestral direction?
They are technically "actors," but more like musicians who are working as extras while playing music.

I don't understand that last part. I would imagine that they play the piece as an orchestra so that it can be dubbed over with the soundtrack.

Are women capable of understanding this movie? Do they think salami is gay for mozart?

> MAKE THINGS MORE OBVIOUS
Let me guess, you're american

F Murray Abraham and Tom Hulce took directing classes, even their movements when conducting an orchestra are accurate, every tiny musical aspect of the movie is.

I always wonder why other music related shows don't do this. fuck you Mozart in the jungle

(you)

I would have liked a more "obvious" plot than, "Mozart tries to do something and Salieri stops him until Mozart dies suddenly," yes.

There was nothing subtle about Mozart or Salieri's characterization, so obviousness has nothing to do with it, I just want it to be there.

If you want to make an actual rebuttal, I'm willing to listen to that, not shitposts like that.

fuck bach, you disgusting pleb, he's as entry level as mozart.
Beethoven is the true light.

>I always wonder why other music related shows don't do this.
Because its a huge pain in the ass if its anything besides a concert being filmed live.

Just think about editing minor shots with people playing in the background if EVERY note hit on camera is heard.

I'm not going to keep arguing this. The difficulty I think would be making sure the timing of the part played matches the part played as a dubbed piece, which doesn't seem too difficult, but I'm not speaking from experience, obviously.

>if EVERY note hit on camera is heard.
That's not what they would do, I would think. It would all be dubbed and the the displayed playing would just be there to match up with the background music. It would require many starts and stops, or taking long takes, but I don't see it as an incredible cinematic achievement, just the team putting a little more effort because of attention to detail.

you should follow your own advice you fucking animal.
I've said it before and I'll say it again: If you cannot appreciate the unique genius of beethoven, you're not human.

Just like, if you don't appreciate Refn's work, you're not human.

You belong in a zoo.

like instead of just paying background actors, just pay some casual musicians instead, can't imagine it being that much more difficult

>Bach pleb is a frogposter

poetry

Refn's works are works that are beyond this world. They are the product of the good souls that devoted their lives to live pure. The existence of Refn is nothing but short of a miracle. Him being here with us is some kind of way for god to say thank you to those good people. These people made god question himself. Question himself of being kind, of being merciful. And that is why I think it's more than that, Refn is some kind of message from god. It's his deformed yet wonderful way of saying sorry to us. Apologizing for crippling us with mortality. With fear. With never lasting love. It's his way of embracing his banished children.

Beethoven is aight, but bach is patrician.

He wanted to take Mozart down by proving his woman didn't love him but when he actually saw how far she was willing to go to help Mozart, he got proven wrong and left angrily

I don't think that's valid. A whore didn't give a jot for her husband would have done it in a heartbeat, if only because it would have improved her financial standing. I think it's more that he wanted to degrade her by showing she was willing to violate her marital vows by actually bringing her to the cusp of doing the deed, while denying what she asked for, yet showing that he only wanted to degrade her and didn't actually want her.

I meant to say a whore who didn't give a jot, etc.

Great film, just 15-20 min too long. Abraham is perfect.

To all those Beethoven fans. I absolve you.

Is there a similar movie based on the life and work of beethoven?

>3 hour long movie focusing solely on two characters
>not enough characterization

Get a load of dis guy

Continue...

I should have said there was nothing "too subtle" about the characterization, as in nobody could say there was any aspects of this movie that could be said to be too deep for the average viewer. The conflict is set up adequately, (though not to total satisfaction), and the middle of the movie is almost entirely Salieri foiling various efforts by Mozart, none of which pay off in the end, other than I suppose Mozart not being successful monetarily, or something. This isn't even the cause of his death, which just starts towards the end of the film, and Mozart dies abruptly independent of any action of the antagonist, unless he was supposed to be overworked to death.

Salieri and Mozart's character and conflict weren't complex enough to make the entire movie focus on that with such a shallow narrative.

Just to clarify, it's a great film, only a flawed on and the movie succeeds in spite of the writing.

Still a problem with editing scenes with multiple angles and takes. And then deal with recording the performance live on set.

I dont think you appreciate what an actual nightmare it is to do that all practically.

There's "My Immortal Beloved" and some TV movie on youtube called "Copying Beethoven"

>My Immortal Beloved

is it good?

I heard the theatrical cut of this movie is somehow better than the directors cut. Can anyone confirm this?

It's okay. Don't expect anything anywhere within the same ballpark as Amadeus.

meh.

You make it sound like shit.
If it's not as good as amadeus I'm not gonna bother with it.

No, it's a lie plebs say, like claiming Redux is worst than theatrical Apocalypse Now.

>Let's take any classic and make it extremely political

Fuck you shit poster man

what the fuck is up with the amadeus spam recently?

It's very good but not as good. It's not a comedy.

>complaints about people making Amadeus threads
>meanwhile everyday we get cunny spam, bbcposting, cuck posting and celebrity posting

Fuck you.

Sure, let's continue posting Bane and BLACKED threads instead of actually discussing films.

Fucking kill yourself.

out of the way casuals

>rated R director's cut

just listened to 15 seconds of this
youtube.com/watch?v=0xU-p9wmSqg

top kek.
Litteral shit.

Please don't share any more of your """tastes""".

Its weird that they made Salieiri religious when he in real life there was no indication of this while Mozart was very religious and regularly wrote religious pieces.

Not really. Salieri had to be initially religious, so he could edigily rebel against it. This is in addition to the numerous historical inaccuracies of the film.