Existential, plato-esque films ?

existential, plato-esque films ?

existential, plato-esque films.

this film blew me away. it was quite surreal, but it just worked. it shouldn't work at all, but it's a special film imo. just assumed it would be tryhard trash, but it was a very sensible, tongue-in-cheek film.

also,

that ending. wow. i can think of no fate worse than being eternally trapped inside the eyes of the daughter of the woman i love, watching her grow old. jesus christ, so, so dark.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=d2afuTvUzBQ
twitter.com/AnonBabble

jesus man, this board moves way too quick.

should have just made a meme thread about fatman's drug abuse tits.

i found it!

>plato-esque film
what did he mean by this?

You have the Jonze/Kauffman tetralogy:

Being John Malkovich
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
The Science of Sleep
Synecdoche New York

I think he meant philosophical, but didn't know the word existed.

>The Science of Sleep
i know nothing about this film but have seen and loved all the others

should i watch it?

Other mentions
Annie Hall
Zelig
I heart Huckabees
F for Fake

Many people hate it or outright dislike it. It's a more Jungian movie than the others but out of all the four its my favorite.

>what did you mean by plato-esque

if you guys have 8 minutes check out this video

youtube.com/watch?v=d2afuTvUzBQ

especially from 5:59 to 6:14.

it's one of my favourite ever videos, because it really sums up our society in some ways. so many people are just subjected to seeing the world in a certain way. the successful people are the guys who make $15million a year helping an investor avoid his taxes.

the guys trying to make a difference, leave a legacy are not in the headlines, but they know what matters.

i think it's quite interesting that the truman show, being john malkovich, the matrix, all these films were released in 98/99.

around the turn of the century, films, the media, and people were asking questions about identity, society, individuality. what it means to be alive, to be part of this world.

but now, the internet age is well and truly alive. these questions have been put on hold for a while.

Something that your comment realized is that if Cusack's character is really in the subconscious of the girl, his presence might actually have an impact on her.

in the film they said that malkovich can be controlled/influenced, because he was a ripe vessel.

he was in the girl since she was a baby. the baby's lack of mental development is too powerful for cusack to control.

however, i think it is the scariest fate of them all. it is, the darkest, greatest fear of my life. my consciousness just being trapped in such a pitiful existence. moping around. at least torture, physical pain and suffering ends at some point.

The Matrix

Plato is known for a shit ton of things other than the allegory of the cave.

cool vid thanks

I thought the term was platonic

>tv
brehs

if free will doesn't exist then aren't we just eternally trapped in our own bodies, watching them act

>if free will doesn't exist then aren't we just eternally trapped in our own bodies, watching them act

That is the interesting aspect of the non-existence of freewill; I am unwillingly experiencing all thoughts, emotions, and experiences that was determined for me to experience. I am simply a constant observer with no control over what I observe.

Kinda spooky, so I just choose to believe freewill exists regardless of its logical or physical impossibility, simply because thinking it does exist is much more useful than thinking it doesn't.

How do you choose to believe in ideas you know are logically inconsistent? I've tried this before and it requires constant self-deception which goes out the window as soon as I get into a negative frame of mind for whatever reason.

Because I put my own welllbeing over an idolization to logic. Something is only useful if it allows a human to be happy or closer to happiness, logic included. Logic is useful for seeing the world as it is, and accepting reality is usually the best choice for your ultimate happiness even if even the short term it makes you feel worse, but if accepting what is logical makes you less happy, than it is irrational to accept it, since you're saying what's logical is more important than what is good for you. So while accepting freewill might be illogical, it is ultimately what is rational. For some a belief in the absence of freewill might actually make them happier, then in that case it'd be rational for them to believe that.

I'm asking literally how you choose to believe something you know is incorrect. Do you use brainwashing techniques on yourself? I'm not able to simply make myself believe something I know is ridiculous. Life would be a lot easier if that were the case. Indeed, life is much easier for ignorant morons since the scope of their suffering is reduced.

If you think that logic triumphs over emotional comfort in human beings you are experiencing emotional comfort (wanting to believe you're structured on logic) over the actual truth of human motivation and belief this very moment. The irony is almost to much to bear. Of course that doesn't mean that logic doesn't factor into human belief etc., it just occupies an inferior standing.

I don't know that this belief is incorrect, I just know it's logically impossible to my understanding. It could still exist in some way I'm incapable of imagining, so I believe that instead. You're incapable of thinking otherwise because you put too much of an importance on what is logical and likely. There's no brainwashing involved, you just think "You know, freewill existing sure would be nice; it doesn't make much sense for it to exist but I'll believe it anyway". Freewill isn't a concrete object anyway, it's just a belief. It's not like I'm trying to believe the sky is yellow and I have to pretend it isn't actually blue.

Jonze only worked on one of those, and you left out the best one. Adaptation

Ayy OP! I've been watching Charlie Kaufman films lately. I just saw Being John Malkovich for the first time recently.

I just watched Adaption and Anomalisa too, I recommend them too.